Options

Pearl Jam 2016 tour merch

Comments

• Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,779
    edited August 2016
    Pissing off the guy revealing all merch previews/info was definitely the way to get the info.
    ;)
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    JimmyV said:

The band and its management have successfully turned merchandise sales into a lucrative and booming enterprise. They did this intentionally and with a plan. Their marketing is brilliant. They roll out one shiny thing after another and we all race to open our wallets. I have no problem with this. I am a willing consumer in the market. But at the end of the day we are customers and customers do have a right to know when sales will begin, where sales will be held, and when sales will end. Eager customers are a good problem for any company to have.

I completely agree with you but I have never seen an organization make it so difficult to take our $$. Long lines, limited quantities - I have a feeling that they could sell so much more merch if more was produced and if there was a more effective distribution system.
  • Options
    The Camaros HoodThe Camaros Hood Boston, MA Posts: 440
    PJ-Cubs said:

JimmyV said:

The band and its management have successfully turned merchandise sales into a lucrative and booming enterprise. They did this intentionally and with a plan. Their marketing is brilliant. They roll out one shiny thing after another and we all race to open our wallets. I have no problem with this. I am a willing consumer in the market. But at the end of the day we are customers and customers do have a right to know when sales will begin, where sales will be held, and when sales will end. Eager customers are a good problem for any company to have.

I completely agree with you but I have never seen an organization make it so difficult to take our $$. Long lines, limited quantities - I have a feeling that they could sell so much more merch if more was produced and if there was a more effective distribution system.
    Nike/Jordan brand has been doing it since the late 90's.
    Austin, TX - 9/16/95 ~ Charleston, SC - 10/5/96 ~ Dallas, TX - 7/5/98 ~ San Antonio, TX - 4/5/03 ~ Denver, CO - 7/2/06 ~ EV - LA #2 - 4/13/08 ~ Austin, TX - 10/4/09 ~ Los Angeles, CA #1 - 11/23/13 ~ Los Angeles, CA #2 - 11/24/13 ~ Seattle, WA - 12/6/13 ~ NYC #1 - 5/1/16 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 8/5/16 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 8/7/16 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 9/2/18 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 9/4/18 ~ Louisville, KY - 9/17/22 ~ Ft. Worth, TX #1 - 9/13/23 ~ Ft. Worth, TX #2 - 9/15/23 ~ Austin, Texas #1 - 9/18/23 ~ Austin, Texas #2 - 9/19/23
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    mid 80's son,
    Jordan 2, made in Italy, released June 1986

PJ-Cubs said:

JimmyV said:

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,940
    PJ-Cubs said:

JimmyV said:

I hear you. When I saw the Fenway 2 setlist shirt mentioned with "details to follow", I assumed that would mean online sale. Never figured it would mean another sale at Fenway the day after the show.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options

What’s one item Blink and Non-Blink you are proud of to have helped create, and one you’re not so proud of?

The other two things are Pearl Jam based. I emailed Frank Kozik who I have looked up to for the last 25 years. I asked him if he would like to do a Pearl Jam poster. I figured I would never hear back. He emailed back in roughly 5 minutes saying yes he thought that would be fun. I was and so far am the only person that he has done gig posters for in 11 years. That is amazing to me. He is the most amazingly nice guy.

The second Pearl Jam thing is the Vs. series of posters that we have been doing this year. To me PJ set the standard for the rock poster business. They are the best there is and the best there ever will be. Every band looks up to them for this. Since so many bands are doing these now a days I wanted to show everyone how to do it. I spoke with Jeff about doing a Vs. series where we would get two of the most amazing artists available to create a poster together. Jeff liked the idea and then I had to try and track everyone down. There was a list that got put together. We only had a couple folks that could not do it and that made total sense. I was so happy that the whole thing came together. For a little bit I was getting nervous. This was not an easy task and took about 7 months to pull off. I am proud that I could help the band do this and they loved everything.

Singlin interview from before.

• Options
    And he also said...

The second Pearl Jam thing is the Vs. series of posters that we have been doing this year. To me PJ set the standard for the rock poster business. They are the best there is and the best there ever will be. Every band looks up to them for this. Since so many bands are doing these now a days I wanted to show everyone how to do it. I spoke with Jeff about doing a Vs. series where we would get two of the most amazing artists available to create a poster together. Jeff liked the idea and then I had to try and track everyone down. There was a list that got put together. We only had a couple folks that could not do it and that made total sense. I was so happy that the whole thing came together. For a little bit I was getting nervous. This was not an easy task and took about 7 months to pull off. I am proud that I could help the band do this and they loved everything.

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    rssesq said:

mid 80's son,

PJ-Cubs said:

JimmyV said:

grocery stores were doing it way before nike

they found that if you put an arbitrary limit on green beans, people bought more of them
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,089

Are we really that much crazier than other bands fans?

I've been going to 60-70 shows a year for the last 15 years or so and I've yet to encounter anything like Pearl Jam fans when it comes to merch. I used to post here a bunch, but the angst over tickets, posters, records, etc. just got to be too much. It's a vicious cycle where people tear their hair out about scalpers/flippers without the self-awareness that they themselves are creating the demand that makes it viable.

I popped back in for the Fenway shows and to keep tabs on what was going on. Thought all involved did a fantastic job running the stands. Despite the availability of dozens of items and plenty of stretches where there was little-to-no wait, it was a bummer to see the shitting on poster designs and lamenting availability of limited items hadn't gotten any better. It's a tough crowd and I'm not surprised that it wears them down.
  • Options
    Bladamus MaximusBladamus Maximus Paris TN Posts: 277
    I just want a couple posters to put on my wall...
    05-06-95 (EV with Mike Watt, Foo Fighters) Chicago
    07-09-95 Milwaukee
    10-07-96 Ft. Lauderdale
    06-29-98 Chicago
    09-22-98 West Palm Beach
    07-19-13 Wrigley Field
    10-14-14 Memphis
    04-26-16 Lexington
    08-20-16 (Wrigley I)
    08-22-16 (Wrigley II)
    08-18-18 (Wrigley I)
    08-20-18 (Wrigley II)
  • Options
    I see a lot of problem alerters and not a lot of problem solvers. Whats the solution? You know there is no good answer. Its a no win situation for a band this big. They cannot win.

Maybe they should just mass produce all the items and make it so everyone that wants one can get them right? Can you imagine the complaints then? Even when they make it much much better like they did at Fenway, people feel they get screwed.

Pre-order for shows you get 10c tickets to? In theory that works. Can you imagine the complaining when they don't like the poster?

How are they supposed to know what the demand is on certain items until they actually go on sale?
  • Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,434
    I could care less, will figure it out when I get there. Might not even wait in line if i think it will deter from the overall experience.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 2,002
    scurtis said:

I could care less, will figure it out when I get there. Might not even wait in line if i think it will deter from the overall experience.

This for sure. Getting worked up about merch is a choice.
  • Options
    scurtis said:

This was us in 2013. The lines were insane and so was the heat. Way too much else to do in Chicago. I wanted a poster and a T-shirt. I left town with neither.

• Options
    The Camaros HoodThe Camaros Hood Boston, MA Posts: 440
    rssesq said:

mid 80's son,

PJ-Cubs said:

JimmyV said:

But back in the 80s they were easier to obtain. Late in the 90s when the retros starting coming out is when they decided to limit the amount made, thus building the hype....like some of the prints for these shows. Plus sneakers have been flipped like crazy for about 15 years or so to the point that its hard just to get a pair of kicks you want at regular price.
    Austin, TX - 9/16/95 ~ Charleston, SC - 10/5/96 ~ Dallas, TX - 7/5/98 ~ San Antonio, TX - 4/5/03 ~ Denver, CO - 7/2/06 ~ EV - LA #2 - 4/13/08 ~ Austin, TX - 10/4/09 ~ Los Angeles, CA #1 - 11/23/13 ~ Los Angeles, CA #2 - 11/24/13 ~ Seattle, WA - 12/6/13 ~ NYC #1 - 5/1/16 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 8/5/16 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 8/7/16 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 9/2/18 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 9/4/18 ~ Louisville, KY - 9/17/22 ~ Ft. Worth, TX #1 - 9/13/23 ~ Ft. Worth, TX #2 - 9/15/23 ~ Austin, Texas #1 - 9/18/23 ~ Austin, Texas #2 - 9/19/23
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,985
    the handwringing in this thread is fantastic.
  • Options
    AceCoolAceCool Texas Posts: 455
    scurtis said:

Speaking the truth there, my brothah. Fuck all this noise. I'm ready to fucking drink some adult beverages and rock the fuck out!
  • Options
    AceCool said:

scurtis said:

Speaking the truth there, my brothah. Fuck all this noise. I'm ready to fucking drink some adult beverages and rock the fuck out!
    For sure, really looking forward to it, but don't get me wrong, I love me some posters, I just don't want to give up an entire afternoon, I'm only in Chicago for three days
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,418
    I just want a shirt and a sticker...that's it.
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893

I just want a shirt and a sticker...that's it.

lol and perhaps a box to get your music from....
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,289
    I was at a GNR show this past weekend, and the merch lineups were such a slog. I also noticed the same thing when the tragically hip played our small arena last month. I don't think it's only the merch craze that causes the lineups. I'm seeing most people paying with credit cards, which takes the attendant at least a minute (or more) to process. Plus you've got people want to try stuff on, see something closer up.. etc... What happened looking, know what you want when its your turn and quickly pay withing cash?
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,181
    Ooh, what's this?

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,552
    edited August 2016
    Zod said:

I was at a GNR show this past weekend, and the merch lineups were such a slog. I also noticed the same thing when the tragically hip played our small arena last month. I don't think it's only the merch craze that causes the lineups. I'm seeing most people paying with credit cards, which takes the attendant at least a minute (or more) to process. Plus you've got people want to try stuff on, see something closer up.. etc... What happened looking, know what you want when its your turn and quickly pay withing cash?

Because there are six posters, four different jackets and hoodies, 6 t-shirts, three different stickers, three different buttons/pins, baseball card packs, three different hat, two banners, koozies..... It will take more time probably counting out the cash, plus people are spending hundreds of dollars and not many people carry that much cash anymore.

Maybe at GNR though if people are just buying a poster and a shirt they could pay in cash and it would be faster.
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,397
    mattcoz said:

Ooh, what's this?

Potential for a very ugly poster
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    mattcoz said:

Ooh, what's this?

Now that is poster art.
  • Options
    pulling69pulling69 KIAD Posts: 982
    MrTsurt trolling the trolls?
    "Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit."
  • Options

mattcoz said:

Ooh, what's this?

Potential for a very ugly poster
    Yep.

• Options
    jp307677jp307677 Boston Posts: 415
    Very odd that the first show is 4 days away and no details on the merchandise...no merchandise shop plan and no visual on any of the stuff...tshirts, pennant flags...nothing.
    This was already communicated by this time for Wrigley '13 and the Fenway shows
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    mattcoz said:

Ooh, what's this?

Boom gets left out again!!
    :rofl:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,464
    A challenger emerges for the mighty wolf pig.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore