Options

North Carolina passes bill blocking LGBT protections

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    What matters the most here is the issue. Anything anyone does to support LGBT is great but only if it's about the issue and supporting those who are singled out/discriminated against by hateful zealots. I'm guessing Bruce sees it that way too.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    edited April 2016
    I read some article about this on the Facebook page of 100.3 FM The Sound (local L.A. rock station) and didn't know until the article that even in the 70s there were hotels that wouldn't let the E Street Band in because of Clarence Clemons' race. Don't mess with the big man or you'll be messing with the boss.

Of course, that doesn't stop the Drumpfhadists from making troll comments acting like they're so surprised that Bruce isn't a hatriot pendejo like their messiah, Nugent.
  • Options

I read some article about this on the Facebook page of 100.3 FM The Sound (local L.A. rock station) and didn't know until the article that even in the 70s there were hotels that wouldn't let the E Street Band in because of Clarence Clemons' race. Don't mess with the big man or you'll be messing with the boss.

Of course, that doesn't stop the Drumpfhadists from making troll comments acting like they're so surprised that Bruce isn't a hatriot pendejo like their messiah, Nugent.

It's too bad Nugent went from this:
    to this:

What a waste.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,934
    His hat matches the art on his wall.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

LOL. The Nug as wall art. :lol:

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    brianlux said:

JimmyV said:

I don't even think Nugent is worth wasting our breath on, he hasn't done any worthwhile music in how many years? And now he's more famous as a right wing fanatic, and I believe he's plays more state fairs than anywhere else...hehehe...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

brianlux said:

JimmyV said:

I don't even think Nugent is worth wasting our breath on, he hasn't done any worthwhile music in how many years? And now he's more famous as a right wing fanatic, and I believe he's plays more state fairs than anywhere else...hehehe...
    That's too bad- some of his early stuff was not bad. Now he just likes to sneer and piss people off. And I have not idea what his take is on LGBT issues. I'm not against an artist being politically involved either way but it's way better if the music comes first. Even Neil Young has said that.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    brianlux said:

lukin2006 said:

brianlux said:

JimmyV said:

That's too bad- some of his early stuff was not bad. Now he just likes to sneer and piss people off. And I have not idea what his take is on LGBT issues. I'm not against an artist being politically involved either way but it's way better if the music comes first. Even Neil Young has said that.
    Stranglehold is an American rock classic no matter what you think of sweaty teddy
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    I dig that High Enough song by Damn Yankees for childhood nostalgia reasons. MTV played that a lot when I was in 4th grade.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

What matters the most here is the issue. Anything anyone does to support LGBT is great but only if it's about the issue and supporting those who are singled out/discriminated against by hateful zealots. I'm guessing Bruce sees it that way too.

I do not know if i am supporting it right, but I support it by minding my own business, especially with issues that will never have an effect on me...now if only we could somehow get the government to do the same...to dream.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    brianlux said:

lukin2006 said:

brianlux said:

JimmyV said:

I agree, some of his music is pretty good. On the LGBT, hmmm...if he hasn't said on record, then I won't speculate, but I do have a guess...heheheh. I like the idea of music first.

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

brianlux said:

I do not know if i am supporting it right, but I support it by minding my own business, especially with issues that will never have an effect on me...now if only we could somehow get the government to do the same...to dream.
    Not interfering, live and let live is certainly better than being against and if everyone did that, being LBGT would be no more a problem than being a fan of avocados or not. My own concern and vocal support of LBGT stems from friendships to gay and lesbian individuals and couples we are close to. My wife and I have seen first hand how life can be difficult for these folks although I'm happy to say that out here it's more and more becoming less of an issue.

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    edited April 2016
    rgambs said:

And for the record, if you travel to see a band and your idea of vacation is hotels, bars, and restaurants, yeah you will be pretty disappointed when they cancel because you planned a lame ass sad vacation lol

One day I hope to be fortunate enough to travel to Mt. Pious and prance amongst the unicorns.

One can only dream ...
    Post edited by Jason P on
  • Options
    Jason P said:

rgambs said:

And for the record, if you travel to see a band and your idea of vacation is hotels, bars, and restaurants, yeah you will be pretty disappointed when they cancel because you planned a lame ass sad vacation lol

One day I hope to be fortunate enough to travel to Mt. Pious and prance amongst the unicorns.

One can only dream ...
    Bring an oxygen tank, the air is pretty thin up here!
    :bee:
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    why is it so important for LBGT people piss in the opposite sex's bathroom ? just because you "identify" yourself as female in a males body doesn't erase the fact of which sex you were born and the junk between your leg's clearly states if you're male or female ...what's inside your head is another story and surgically changing your junk does not change your sex(medical fact)
    this is all crazy shit to me.

Godfather.
  • Options

why is it so important for LBGT people piss in the opposite sex's bathroom ? just because you "identify" yourself as female in a males body doesn't erase the fact of which sex you were born and the junk between your leg's clearly states if you're male or female ...what's inside your head is another story and surgically changing your junk does not change your sex(medical fact)

Godfather.

You are pretty much making a point against the bill.
    It isn't really an issue.
    Republicans, the party of liberty and small government, have made an issue out of thin air. There is no problem to be addressed, but that didn't stop regressives from creating a law to try and micro-manage the bathroom habits of their state's citizens.

On a separate note...
    Unisex bathrooms have been needed since the beginning, men's and women's rooms were a bad idea to begin with. Parents' with their opposite sex kids, kids with their opposite sex elderly parents, siblings, LGBT, handicapped people, the list goes on and on.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    This is a provocative decision and we are talking about it. So is affective and it's been shown politicians are swayed by $$.

Do feel for those that made plans. Be cool if he'd do concert a crossed closest state line.

Anyone else though not able to get into Bruce?
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen said:

This is a provocative decision and we are talking about it. So is affective and it's been shown politicians are swayed by $$.

Do feel for those that made plans. Be cool if he'd do concert a crossed closest state line.

I'm not that into him either, he just doesn't push my buttons sound-wise. Really respect him, but don't listen very much.
    Musically, Neil Young blows him away in my taste.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    As to the bill, there are homosexual predators so the bill doesn't really protect.

Also it's expected to have this backlash after the HUUUUGE strides this country has undertaken in last 7 years. So it's a sign if progress.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    xhausted1xhausted1 Posts: 126
    I noticed while filling out college applications this year with my child that some schools were very specific in regards to one's gender. They would ask something along the lines of "What gender did the doctor say you were at birth?"
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    rgambs said:

Godfather.

Republicans, the party of liberty and small government, have made an issue out of thin air. There is no problem to be addressed, but that didn't stop regressives from creating a law to try and micro-manage the bathroom habits of their state's citizens.

On a separate note...
    Unisex bathrooms have been needed since the beginning, men's and women's rooms were a bad idea to begin with. Parents' with their opposite sex kids, kids with their opposite sex elderly parents, siblings, LGBT, handicapped people, the list goes on and on.
    This is why I fear the liberal left. They try to make everything normal seem abnormal, and then will use every bullying power to harm you if you don't agree. Perfect example here. Saying that creating men's and women's restrooms was a bad idea is absolutely ridiculous. Everyone understands when a parent takes a small child into the opposite sex bathroom. That doesn't mean that one exception should lead to unisex bathrooms, or that separate bathrooms are a bad idea.

Another good example is how the left has demonized anyone who wants to deport illegal immigrants. The Boston Globe is attacking Trump because he is deporting illegal immigrants. By definition they are here illegally, and yet defending the law of the land makes you a bigot and racist. That is why I fear the left.

Liberals dislike all the money in politics, but they sure don't mind if Paypal and Springsteen "pay" to get laws changed they don't like, and take the power of the people who vote for their representatives. That is what is happening, Paypal and Springsteen are using money to force the politicians hand instead of the voters in that state. If this is okay then I don't want to hear about the Koch brothers ever again on this board. I don't agree with this law in NC but I don't like the bullying tactics by the wealthy few to change the law and taking power from the people whose job it is to vote for their representatives and whose job it is to make laws. Right now it is working to get rid of a stupid law, but who knows what law it will be next time and whose money is being thrown at it.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    rgambs said:

callen said:

I'm not that into him either, he just doesn't push my buttons sound-wise. Really respect him, but don't listen very much.
    Musically, Neil Young blows him away in my taste.
    I like Bruce but I agree. Bruce has gotten into self parody histrionics (I'M LOOKING AT YOU, QUEEN OF THE SUPERMARKET!) at times so, yeah, Neil is better.

I'm all about Tom Petty, though.
  • Options

rgambs said:

Godfather.

On a separate note...
    This is why I fear the liberal left. They try to make everything normal seem abnormal, and then will use every bullying power to harm you if you don't agree. Perfect example here. Saying that creating men's and women's restrooms was a bad idea is absolutely ridiculous. Everyone understands when a parent takes a small child into the opposite sex bathroom. That doesn't mean that one exception should lead to unisex bathrooms, or that separate bathrooms are a bad idea.

Another good example is how the left has demonized anyone who wants to deport illegal immigrants. The Boston Globe is attacking Trump because he is deporting illegal immigrants. By definition they are here illegally, and yet defending the law of the land makes you a bigot and racist. That is why I fear the left.

Liberals dislike all the money in politics, but they sure don't mind if Paypal and Springsteen "pay" to get laws changed they don't like, and take the power of the people who vote for their representatives. That is what is happening, Paypal and Springsteen are using money to force the politicians hand instead of the voters in that state. If this is okay then I don't want to hear about the Koch brothers ever again on this board. I don't agree with this law in NC but I don't like the bullying tactics by the wealthy few to change the law and taking power from the people whose job it is to vote for their representatives and whose job it is to make laws. Right now it is working to get rid of a stupid law, but who knows what law it will be next time and whose money is being thrown at it.

Hahaha so thinking that a unisex/family restroom option with the men's and women's room is a better idea is being a liberal bully?

You never had to make the choice of taking a girl into the men's room where we all know what she might see, or violating the women's room with your grown man presence?
    Of course everyone understands, everyone understands it sucks when there is no unisex bathroom lol
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    rgambs said:

Godfather.

On a separate note...
    there's your answer ! unisex bathrooms , I have no problem with that at all. funny side note: I was at a store over the weekend when nature called so I went to the men's restroom and when I walked in I hear a female voice say "hello" so look back at the door and it was the men's room and gal said "sorry I forgot to lock the door" the restroom is a two seater but I locked the door and waited outside and when she came out she was red as wine and apologized and said the ladies room was in use, I just smiled as I walked past her (in a hurry)and said no worries ma'm.

Godfather.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    edited April 2016
    ^^ What a bizarre article. From it: "The Daily Wire contacted the University dean and staff members and asked them how they could be unfeeling enough to force men to use men’s washrooms and women to use women’s washrooms."
    Wtf??

There have been unisex washrooms in residences forever. That's all the dorms on the campus I work on has, and all they've ever had, at least since 1994 (which is when I first saw them). That article sarcastically makes that story about something that it's not. Why they linked it to the transgender washroom issue by going tongue in cheek is beyond me. Very unprofessional. Is it a Conservative publication or what?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,179
    edited April 2016
    Post edited by gimmesometruth27 on
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    sooo ... tennessee wanted to make the bible the state book!? ... good grief!