Options

North Carolina passes bill blocking LGBT protections

Comments

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Jason P said:

Should PJ cancel too? Who has tix?

Who would this be punishing? You think PJ or Bruce canceling a concert means jack squat to a Billy Ray fan?

It's a huge message and I bet the people in power might be starting to get it. Actions have consequences.

Good for Bruce, this takes big balls.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    dignin said:

Jason P said:

Who would this be punishing? You think PJ or Bruce canceling a concert means jack squat to a Billy Ray fan?

It's a huge message and I bet the people in power might be starting to get it. Actions have consequences.

It's an extremely dumb message with the options Bruce has at his disposal. How about doing a free 60 minute acoustic set at a rally to raise awareness?

This will cause minimal economic impact to the local economy but will cause major economic impact to his fans who are the one that most likely agree with Bruce's views.

Dumb.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

dignin said:

Jason P said:

It's an extremely dumb message with the options Bruce has at his disposal. How about doing a free 60 minute acoustic set at a rally to raise awareness?

This will cause minimal economic impact to the local economy but will cause major economic impact to his fans who are the one that most likely agree with Bruce's views.

Dumb.
    This draws huge attention to the cause. Acoustic set wouldn't have done shit, this is action...walking the talk.

This isn't dumb, it's admirable.
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    dignin said:

Jason P said:

dignin said:

Jason P said:

Dumb.
    This draws huge attention to the cause. Acoustic set wouldn't have done shit, this is action...walking the talk.

I agree. But I don't think PJ has the balls to do the same.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    Neither do I.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dignin said:

Jason P said:

dignin said:

Jason P said:

Dumb.

I assume you don't have travel plans to the show and thus don't care. Yet the fans that have spent money, taken PTO, made travel arrangements 6 months in advance and don't like the bill are the ones being punished.

I'm making substantial travel and financial arrangements to see PJ this spring (not NC) and I would be pissed if PJ made such an ill thought out decision.
  • Options
    Free said:

dignin said:

Jason P said:

dignin said:

Jason P said:

Dumb.

Bruce's balls have gotten bigger with age, PJ's balls appear to have waded into a cold pool.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

dignin said:

Jason P said:

dignin said:

Jason P said:

Dumb.

I assume you don't have travel plans to the show and thus don't care. Yet the fans that have spent money, taken PTO, made travel arrangements 6 months in advance and don't like the bill are the ones being punished.

I'm making substantial travel and financial arrangements to see PJ this spring (not NC) and I would be pissed if PJ made such an ill thought out decision.
    People are having their rights taken away, not getting to go to a concert is hardly comparable.
  • Options
    dignin said:

Free said:

dignin said:

Jason P said:

dignin said:

Jason P said:

Dumb.

Bruce's balls have gotten bigger with age, PJ's balls appear to have waded into a cold pool.
    dignin said:

Free said:

dignin said:

Jason P said:

dignin said:

Jason P said:

Dumb.

Can't help but agree with this. I would like Vedder to prove us wrong,
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Jason P said:

dignin said:

Jason P said:

dignin said:

Jason P said:

Dumb.

I bet ticket holders would get refunded. As far as air fare? Well, how many of Bruce's fans go on the road for tour? I doubt it's anything like PJ fans. He's hurting NC fans, and the state of NC.
  • Options
    Free said:

Jason P said:

dignin said:

Jason P said:

dignin said:

Jason P said:

Dumb.

I bet ticket holders would get refunded. As far as air fare? Well, how many of Bruce's fans go on the road for tour? I doubt it's anything like PJ fans. He's hurting NC fans, and the state of NC.
    I believe Bruce fans are more fanatical then PJ fans.

But in retrospect, having the choice to poop in a women's or men's restroom is the perfect battle for the ultra left and ultra right to engage in.

Game on. I'm out.
  • Options
    This isn't about a concert it's about the toilet that NC and MS are choosing to live in. If the artists don't stand up for what's right, (and other states of course), who WILL??
  • Options
    http://www.nme.com/news/bruce-springsteen/92848

Springsteen posted a statement to his website confirming the cancellation today (April 8), slamming North Carolina's approach to human rights.

The statement reads:

"As you, my fans, know I’m scheduled to play in Greensboro, North Carolina this Sunday. As we also know, North Carolina has just passed HB2, which the media are referring to as the “bathroom” law. HB2 — known officially as the Public Facilities Privacy and Security Act — dictates which bathrooms transgender people are permitted to use. Just as important, the law also attacks the rights of LGBT citizens to sue when their human rights are violated in the workplace."

"No other group of North Carolinians faces such a burden. To my mind, it’s an attempt by people who cannot stand the progress our country has made in recognizing the human rights of all of our citizens to overturn that progress. Right now, there are many groups, businesses, and individuals in North Carolina working to oppose and overcome these negative developments."

"Taking all of this into account, I feel that this is a time for me and the band to show solidarity for those freedom fighters," he continues. "As a result, and with deepest apologies to our dedicated fans in Greensboro, we have canceled our show scheduled for Sunday, April 10th. Some things are more important than a rock show and this fight against prejudice and bigotry — which is happening as I write — is one of them. It is the strongest means I have for raising my voice in opposition to those who continue to push us backwards instead of forwards."

It concludes: "Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band’s Sunday April 10th show is canceled. Tickets will be refunded at point of purchase."
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Jason P said:

dignin said:

Jason P said:

dignin said:

Jason P said:

Dumb.

Selfish much?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Bands do charity and awareness concerts all the time and NOBODY GIVES A SHIT!

If you think playing and going on a little rant has the same effect as cancelling you are delusional!
  • Options
    And for the record, if you travel to see a band and your idea of vacation is hotels, bars, and restaurants, yeah you will be pretty disappointed when they cancel because you planned a lame ass sad vacation lol
  • Options
    rgambs said:

If you think playing and going on a little rant has the same effect as cancelling you are delusional!

Do u think anyone that supports the bill gives a shit if Bruce cancels? That is delusional thinking.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

rgambs said:

Do u think anyone that supports the bill gives a shit if Bruce cancels? That is delusional thinking.
    Oh, so you think that boycotts don't work? Ok, then, do nothing and let misfortune wash over you like the bitter brew you seem to prefer.
  • Options
    Bruce is making a stance and I like it.

But the people planning on attending the show have a right to be disappointed- especially those with big plans.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Jason P said:

rgambs said:

Oh, so you think that boycotts don't work? Ok, then, do nothing and let misfortune wash over you like the bitter brew you seem to prefer.
    Boycotts for single events for this low of magnitude do not work. Should a pro team to boycott, yeah that may work. Bruce has the luxury that he is a multi millionaire. The blue collar person working OT (1,2,3,4!) that just got screwed has no such luxury.

I don't support this bill. But I don't support illogical rational either. Again, those being punished are people that are against the bill of restrooms.

• Options
    Jason P said:

rgambs said:

Jason P said:

rgambs said:

Boycotts for single events for this low of magnitude do not work. Should a pro team to boycott, yeah that may work. Bruce has the luxury that he is a multi millionaire. The blue collar person working OT (1,2,3,4!) that just got screwed has no such luxury.

I don't support this bill. But I don't support illogical rational either. Again, those being punished are people that are against the bill of restrooms.

Boycotts only work when people join in, it is a group movement. 1 concert is a ripple in the pond, but combined with the other ripples, big waves will be made.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Jason P said:

rgambs said:

Yes. I happen to have music-loving fans who moved to NC last year, and they are Trump supporters, they put hateful posts on FB supporting their stance, they actually support the bill! (I know, they are not tolerant, I don't get it) and they are pissed that the Boss canceled.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    Springsteen appeals to a broad fan base. He's the perfect performer to take this stance. Well done, Bruce!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    edited April 2016
    It's sad to see hateful comments from hypocrites on Facebook who are okay with the Duggars and Drumpf saying he wants to screw his daughter.

But a tranny going to the loo is huge threat of pedophelia because they don't have an R next to their name on the ballot. ConservatISIS logic, ladies and gents.
    Post edited by InHiding80 on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    What a bummer for the good folks in NC. I mean that- I have a friend who teaches there, another friend in the medical profession there (she has a gay son!) and a nephew and his family who live there and I'm sure there are many other fine folks there as well. And it's a beautiful state. The uptight, sexually repressed, fanatically religious, dark-age minded types with broom handles up their butts have put a huge mar on that state. I won't be visiting there any time soon.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,126
    I'm not sure not playing a show "takes balls".

I never thought taking your ball and going home was the way to win an argument. I do understand what he is trying to do and appreciate the sentiment behind it, I believe he is correct, I just think he choose the wrong action.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Jason P said:

dignin said:

Jason P said:

dignin said:

Jason P said:

Dumb.

Selfish much?
    Calling someone selfish is really a lazy argument.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

I never thought taking your ball and going home was the way to win an argument. I do understand what he is trying to do and appreciate the sentiment behind it, I believe he is correct, I just think he choose the wrong action.

Playing the concert would have been the easier and more profitable thing to do. I don't see how this relates any way to taking his ball and going home, quite the opposite. The Boss picked the far harder course of action. That's why he is "The Boss".
  • Options
    dignin said:

Playing the concert would have been the easier and more profitable thing to do. I don't see how this relates any way to taking his ball and going home, quite the opposite. The Boss picked the far harder course of action. That's why he is "The Boss".
    Playing the concert and placing all profits towards an organization that can assist with the cause would have been a pretty big statement... and his fans, many of whom are like him in their belief system, wouldn't have borne the weight of the effort.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Free said:

This isn't about a concert it's about the toilet that NC and MS are choosing to live in. If the artists don't stand up for what's right, (and other states of course), who WILL??

The people that live here that are already fighting it. And not bringing new business.....but not shutting down businesses and firing the employees to leave town
    hippiemom = goodness