Options

Brussels Belgium attacks.

Comments

• Options
    callen said:

callen said:

JC29856 said:
    You're sure working hard to make this event insignificant.
    Perspective. Two people died in car accidents on my road in separate incidences in last week. No terrorists attacks.
    You don't have that perspective when arguing for gun control and the idea of 'vehicles should be banned too if we're interested in public safety' gets tossed out there.

You don't because getting in a car accident driving somewhere (transporting yourself) is exactly what I just said... an accident. Just like choking on a hot dog (eating) would be an accident too.

At least be consistent when trying to support someone who is trying to suggest everyone should get over it already.
    Two separate analogies. Read my reply to Anna.

In rabbit hole, car accidents are accidents. Choosing to win a gun and increasing g chance of death is not. But separate subject matter.
    I know they are two separate analogies: one works one way for you and the other works a different way for you- but they are the same premise.

I agree that we cannot overreact. I'd also say measures need to be taken. Exactly what those measures are... I'm not sure, but if I'm living in Europe right now, I don't think I could escape the feeling that another ticking time bomb is counting down. This wasn't the last event of this nature.

If I ever became directly affected, I'd have much stronger feelings towards the subject.

If we could control-alt-delete the current world situation and have everybody leave everybody else alone... I would spend more time in the 'Other Music' thread and every 5 years or so some time in the 'Show Review' thread.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,847
    callen said:

Annafalk said:

callen said:

JC29856 said:
    Perspective. Two people died in car accidents on my road in separate incidences in last week. No terrorists attacks.
    Do you want to diminish terrorist attacks ? What is your point?
    Of course not. Pointing out we need to keep real threat in perspective so we don't over react and make matters worse. Add our fear mongering politicians using these spectacular events to drum up votes and appetite for war and it's spoils.
    You DONT want to diminish terrorist attacks?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    mickeyrat said:

callen said:

Annafalk said:

callen said:

JC29856 said:
    Of course not. Pointing out we need to keep real threat in perspective so we don't over react and make matters worse. Add our fear mongering politicians using these spectacular events to drum up votes and appetite for war and it's spoils.
    I'm guessing Callen doesn't want to diminish the significance of terror attacks. Hopefully we'd all like to diminish terrorist attacks.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Annafalk said:

callen said:

Annafalk said:

callen said:

JC29856 said:
    Ok I understand, I really hope peace in Syria is coming soon.
    Me as well.

Always good to get your and other Europeans thoughts on these subjects.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,984
    benjs said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

g under p said:

callen said:

This will give Trump some material.

I'm sure he will have something Provacative to say. It's no wonder The Donald doesn't have to spend much money on political ads....we the people keep him in the news. There's at least 5 threads on this board with his name in it.

I've been through that metro system in Brussels on my way to a festival in Werchter. I hope the Belgium people will recover from this attack.

Peace

And yet some of you geniuses mention his name again as these horrid terrorist events are unfolding, un-fucken-real. God bless the victims and families of those lost by another ISLAMIC TERRORIST attack.
    Okay okay okay one thing is very clear, god did not bless the victims. He allowed them to be torn to bits, maimed and mentally fucked.

And yes Trump comes up because the terrorists harbor same hate that draws humans to trump. Trump will now use this to keep the cycle going.

Finally it's religious terrorism not Muslim terrorism. Yeah same as the Christians wanting to bomb shit out of Muslims. Same exact mentality. Look in the mirror. You are them.
    Agreed...

Did anyone suggest patrolling Christian neighborhoods when McVeigh blew up the building in OK City?

God either doesn't give a shit that people get blown up or he doesn't exist. Pick one.

There's also the third option that a god doesn't intervene. Omniscience does not necessitate interventionism. Though maybe those were a few problems with Bush: he loved his god, thought himself omniscient and made in his god's image, and therefore was in favour of interventionism!
    not intervening = not giving a shit
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

benjs said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

g under p said:

callen said:

I'm sure he will have something Provacative to say. It's no wonder The Donald doesn't have to spend much money on political ads....we the people keep him in the news. There's at least 5 threads on this board with his name in it.

I've been through that metro system in Brussels on my way to a festival in Werchter. I hope the Belgium people will recover from this attack.

Peace

And yet some of you geniuses mention his name again as these horrid terrorist events are unfolding, un-fucken-real. God bless the victims and families of those lost by another ISLAMIC TERRORIST attack.
    Okay okay okay one thing is very clear, god did not bless the victims. He allowed them to be torn to bits, maimed and mentally fucked.

And yes Trump comes up because the terrorists harbor same hate that draws humans to trump. Trump will now use this to keep the cycle going.

Finally it's religious terrorism not Muslim terrorism. Yeah same as the Christians wanting to bomb shit out of Muslims. Same exact mentality. Look in the mirror. You are them.
    Agreed...

Did anyone suggest patrolling Christian neighborhoods when McVeigh blew up the building in OK City?

God either doesn't give a shit that people get blown up or he doesn't exist. Pick one.

There's also the third option that a god doesn't intervene. Omniscience does not necessitate interventionism. Though maybe those were a few problems with Bush: he loved his god, thought himself omniscient and made in his god's image, and therefore was in favour of interventionism!
    Yup. God must be a real asshat. He either causes this shit, or lets it happen. So if "he" exists, he should be ashamed of himself.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

callen said:

Annafalk said:

callen said:

JC29856 said:
    Hell no. So much wrong as a supposedly civilized mammal to be killing each other. It's the patriotism and war mongering and over reaction of hate. Per my earlier thoughts to Anna.

It's the evil doer drilling for fear thing.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

benjs said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

g under p said:

callen said:

Peace

Agreed...

Yup. God must be a real asshat. He either causes this shit, or lets it happen. So if "he" exists, he should be ashamed of himself.
    It's comical the arguments you get from bible thumpers about such an assertion: free will and choice has been given to us.

You'd think that if we were God's creation... he'd have a bit more of an investment in us than what he displays. I'm not saying completely 'hands on' like Mark Cuban... but like maybe an appearance or two... or maybe even a miracle or something people could re-establish their faith with.

He just sits there and watches everyone? Boring.

* And if he's sitting there watching everyone... when does he find time to chill out with all the souls in Heaven?
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Steeling this material mostly. but imagine living eternally. Even in heaven, torturous. There are relatives I don't want to see again. And going to hell to be with the devil? Well you're one of his, he wont torture you and he'll have all the hookers and blow. After living 2000 years you will need drugs and alcohol. And rock n roll. Think god will let you listen to PJ in heaven? Hell no.
    J Jeffries
    Post edited by callen on
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,939
    jeffbr said:

benjs said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

g under p said:

callen said:

Peace

Agreed...

I know there are religions which claim that the lack of intervention isn't for lack of care, but for desiring free will for people so they can make mistakes and learn lessons. Not my personal opinion, but people believe what they want to believe I guess.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs said:

jeffbr said:

benjs said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

g under p said:

callen said:

Peace

Agreed...

I know there are religions which claim that the lack of intervention isn't for lack of care, but for desiring free will for people so they can make mistakes and learn lessons. Not my personal opinion, but people believe what they want to believe I guess.
    Ben if it's nonsensical em think it's imperative to call it out. There is no doubt religion feeds terrorism. Sole cause no. But be great to get rid of this excuse.
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617

Jimal... made a response in the Paris thread to a question I asked of JC (which he ducked). I thought it was fair.

Poor assimilation. These f**king idiots made no connection with the country they were raised in. Call it what you want, but it's mass murder any way you want to look at it. Instead of a barking dog motivating them... a f**ked up ideology did the trick.

Missed that question? What i duck?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    if man created religion then religion is not the problem. man is.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JC29856 said:

Jimal... made a response in the Paris thread to a question I asked of JC (which he ducked). I thought it was fair.

Poor assimilation. These f**king idiots made no connection with the country they were raised in. Call it what you want, but it's mass murder any way you want to look at it. Instead of a barking dog motivating them... a f**ked up ideology did the trick.

You said, "8 of 10 terrorists were European citizens."

I asked what conclusions you drew from that statement.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,939
    callen said:

benjs said:

jeffbr said:

benjs said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

g under p said:

callen said:

Peace

Agreed...

Ben if it's nonsensical em think it's imperative to call it out. There is no doubt religion feeds terrorism. Sole cause no. But be great to get rid of this excuse.
    I agree with you. I also worry about the next excuse used to justify horrific actions, but I agree that it would be fantastic to get this one off the table.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    if you ever want to get an interesting perspective on how a non-intervening god works, I shit you not, watch the Simpson's episode called The Genesis Tub. I do not believe in god, but it honestly gave me pause to think about how some people view god's role.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    man creating a religion for a reason to go to war is the same thing as the US and its allies teaching you to hate a religion for a reason to go to war.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

if man created religion then religion is not the problem. man is.

Man is definitely the problem.

Accentuating the problem for some is religion. It acts like bath salts for some and makes them f**king idiots.
  • Options
    for all the "we need to do something about the terrorists" folk on here, serious question:

what is the solution to stopping these attacks?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    callen said:

Steeling this material mostly. but imagine living eternally. Even in heaven, torturous. There are relatives I don't want to see again. And going to hell to be with the devil? Well you're one of his, he wont torture you and he'll have all the hookers and blow. After living 2000 years you will need drugs and alcohol. And rock n roll. Think god will let you listen to PJ in heaven? Hell no.
    J Jeffries

as i imagined it as a child, in heaven there is no hate, there is no grudges, you are souls, not beholden to your past as a human. there is no "ah fuck, I can't stand this guy, how do I get out of this conversation?". only pure love and peace. sounds pretty awesome to me. but again, I don't believe it.

hell isn't for human-defined "bad things". those things bring you joy, so in hell (again, as I imagined it as a child), you do not get those things.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    benjs said:

callen said:

benjs said:

jeffbr said:

benjs said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

g under p said:

callen said:

Peace

Agreed...

I agree with you. I also worry about the next excuse used to justify horrific actions, but I agree that it would be fantastic to get this one off the table.
    So in religion it's this hugely emotionally charged - aspect that I think is a bigger driver than nationalism or race. Agree something else will be used to divide but this one item is huge. And terrorists do pray before they flip the switch. Telling.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,566
    edited March 2016
    callen said:

benjs said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

g under p said:

callen said:

Peace

Agreed...

Oh yes the God works in mysterious ways and he's not intervening for a reason.

Yet we pray to god daily for wealth and thank him for making a fraakin touchdown pass. Prayers work but fuck the kids that just got blown up. But bless them. Idiocracy.
    I agree with you.
    If I believed in God I'd totally hate his guts. What an asshole. I can't beleive people actually do stuff in his name. It's almost like worshipping Satan.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited March 2016

for all the "we need to do something about the terrorists" folk on here, serious question:

I don't know the immediate solution but for now a reactionary stance is all we can be in for now.
    We all know there will be another incident coming so in the meantime we need to react to this recent one with force and one thing in mind - obliterate all people who share the same ideology as the ones who did this.

Doesn't matter theories on why certain groups exist - it has reached the point where the makers can no longer be controlled. We are watching each other get killed but no one wants to war these thugs out.

edit - Of course you could elect trump and see what happens.
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617

JC29856 said:

You said, "8 of 10 terrorists were European citizens."

I asked what conclusions you drew from that statement.
    Conclusions: was overreaction to refugees, speaks to depth and determination of oppressed
  • Options
    edited March 2016

And many try to steer the conversation this way but then are called apologists. It's much easier and satisfying to just hate, kill and build big fkn walls. WHOOT WHOOT.

Say this, if I were black or Muslim I'd be even more pissed off. Course I have "guilt". Ha
    Post edited by callen on
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    JC29856 said:

The men who carried out these attacks were politically educated out of the destruction of Iraq, the invasion of Afghanistan, the drone bombings in Pakistan and Yemen, the torture of Guantanamo Bay and Abu Ghraib, and the colonization and occupation of Palestine. To make it shorter, they, mostly identify as Muslims, and they were horrified by the ideological war of the West against what it wrongfully calls “the Muslim world.” This is the main motivator behind the men of ISIS becoming killers. “Your wars, our deaths” became a slogan after the Paris attacks. It might not be totally accurate, and we definitely cannot simplify things, but there is a lot of truth in it.

Good stuff...

http://www.counterpunch.org/2016/03/23/five-things-you-need-know-about-the-attacks-from-a-peace-activist-in-brussels/

This is called being an apologist JC.

Always blaming others and excusing away the why for the sick actions of these Islamic thug piece of shit assholes.

Lumping every squabble in the fucked up Muslim world together as a precursor.Well done.
  • Options

I don't know the immediate solution but for now a reactionary stance is all we can be in for now.
    We all know there will be another incident coming so in the meantime we need to react to this recent one with force and one thing in mind - obliterate all people who share the same ideology as the ones who did this.

Doesn't matter theories on why certain groups exist - it has reached the point where the makers can no longer be controlled. We are watching each other get killed but no one wants to war these thugs out.

war them out where? where do you react with force? it's not a country you are fighting. it's a group of people with no border. and it has been proven that the more of these people killed, the more terrorists you create. it will be a never ending, and escalating, cycle.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

war them out where? where do you react with force? it's not a country you are fighting. it's a group of people with no border. and it has been proven that the more of these people killed, the more terrorists you create. it will be a never ending, and escalating, cycle.
    In a coliseum maybe....
    Round up all the proven guys and.....
  • Options

callen said:

J Jeffries

as i imagined it as a child, in heaven there is no hate, there is no grudges, you are souls, not beholden to your past as a human. there is no "ah fuck, I can't stand this guy, how do I get out of this conversation?". only pure love and peace. sounds pretty awesome to me. but again, I don't believe it.

hell isn't for human-defined "bad things". those things bring you joy, so in hell (again, as I imagined it as a child), you do not get those things.
    So in heaven you'd have these happy thoughts for ETERNITY. No grudges. No immoral thoughts. No BEER!?!? Would be utter hell. Fk like being a zombie.

Would love to get others opinions of eternal states in heaven and hell. No not well versed. Still working on reading more of the good book.
  • Options
    And think on topic as suicide bombers are wanting some.