Options

Brussels Belgium attacks.

Comments

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,168
    rr165892 said:

callen said:

It amazes me that the United States can and does spend hundreds of billions of dollars on a military industrial complex to fight these terrorists yet they continue sit on their hands when it comes to gun violence. All things told, terrorism isn't really a big issue in North America yet we always hear about it and how the world needs to act. If the US put all of that money and effort into solving its own problems instead of intervening in the affairs of foreign states you would think that it would be an infinitely better nation for it.

Here's a simple idea when it comes to terrorism; respect the victims; condemn the terrorists and recognize that the overwhelming majority of Muslims aren't terrorists or killers. That's it. Spending billions bombing the snot out of the Middle East isn't going to do anything for you unless you're an executive for an weapons manufacturer. It's simply money that would be better spent elsewhere.

Add clapping emojy thing here.
    motion seconded.
    here here!

it is funny that we feel the need to get involved in terrorism half a world away. we are told how big of a problem it is and whatnot. i get criticized all the time for saying isis is not our problem and we need to stay out of it.

someone shoots 20 people here in the us and we are told to shut up because it is all part of living in america.

does anyone see the faulty logic there?
    Yes.they are two different(but horrible) issues.
    And Americans were directly targeted in that attack so it IS our issue.
    so go fight.

you can't want smaller government and less spending AND be world police at the same time.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

how are they different?

we are all shocked and saddened by what happened in france and belgium, but we have several mini frances in this country in a month.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    rr165892 said:

how are they different?

we are all shocked and saddened by what happened in france and belgium, but we have several mini frances in this country in a month.

• Options

It amazes me that the United States can and does spend hundreds of billions of dollars on a military industrial complex to fight these terrorists yet they continue sit on their hands when it comes to gun violence. All things told, terrorism isn't really a big issue in North America yet we always hear about it and how the world needs to act. If the US put all of that money and effort into solving its own problems instead of intervening in the affairs of foreign states you would think that it would be an infinitely better nation for it.

Here's a simple idea when it comes to terrorism; respect the victims; condemn the terrorists and recognize that the overwhelming majority of Muslims aren't terrorists or killers. That's it. Spending billions bombing the snot out of the Middle East isn't going to do anything for you unless you're an executive for an weapons manufacturer. It's simply money that would be better spent elsewhere.

It's not yet because it's over "there".
    Come on, what will you be saying when the next thread on AMT reads "(insert USA city here) rocked by 3 bombers, mass casualties ISIS claims it.
    How many more incidents like these will it take to make people open their eyes and say wow we have a major problem here.
    Sitting back and watching the news about others getting blown to bits in the name of wahochocolate bar and not saying there is a problem is not respecting the victims.
    Talk about fear mongering. Gun crimes and health issues are already very real yet more often than not, nothing is done. Conversely terrorism has been a relative non-issue but you're prepared to dump trillions of dollars carpet bombing the Middle East, an act which seems to be completely ineffective and absurdly costly. You are far more likely to die in a car accident or be killed in a local gun crime than you are to be murdered by terrorists. America's response to terrorism is ridiculously heavy-handed and speaks more of governmental prejudice than anything else.

Did you ever consider that an armed response might simply lead to escalation rather than solving the problem? I'm not sure, but it seems that the end game you seem to be looking forward to is genocide because short of that you won't stop isolated acts of islamic terrorism. Killing hundreds of thousands in the Middle East is not respecting the victims either.
  • Options

for all the "we need to do something about the terrorists" folk on here, serious question:

what is the solution to stopping these attacks?

I don't know the immediate solution but for now a reactionary stance is all we can be in for now.
    We all know there will be another incident coming so in the meantime we need to react to this recent one with force and one thing in mind - obliterate all people who share the same ideology as the ones who did this.

Doesn't matter theories on why certain groups exist - it has reached the point where the makers can no longer be controlled. We are watching each other get killed but no one wants to war these thugs out.

edit - Of course you could elect trump and see what happens.
    advocating murder on a pearl jam forum. nice.

sounds like something one of them turrists would say.
    cmon, really?

yep.

your words.
    Obliterate that way of thinking all together. (ISIS). There is no rebuttal to say otherwise.
    War is not just physical.
  • Options

rr165892 said:

how are they different?

mini frances?
    What terrorist activities do you have more of?
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    :lol:
    Obliterate a way of thinking?! :lol:
    Good luck with that.
    Besides, isn't that what 'they' want to do?

Last page shawshank said Islam has a problem with violence....the US is responsible in whole or in part for more than 4 million deaths in that region, and that's only goung back a couple decades. Mostly Islamic brown people. That's genocide, and it's just one corner of the world. The fact that it's pretty much the opposite corner of the world should speak to justification a little, no? And it's Islam that has a problem with violence....lost, indeed.
  • Options

Good luck with that.

How do you instill a mind that it is not all right to kill people that don't agree with you?
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,049

Good luck with that.

Last page shawshank said Islam has a problem with violence....the US is responsible in whole or in part for more than 4 million deaths in that region, and that's only goung back a couple decades. Mostly Islamic brown people. That's genocide, and it's just one corner of the world. The fact that it's pretty much the opposite corner of the world should speak to justification a little, no? And it's Islam that has a problem with violence....lost, indeed.

4,000,000 deaths? Is that a fact? Wow.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Good luck with that.

How do you instill a mind that it is not all right to kill people that don't agree with you?
    Good question.
    Could start by not funding, arming, and training their leaders, I guess?
    Has to happen over time. Better living conditions result in better minds.
    How do we Instill in a mind that it is not ok to support war based on what your government mouth pieces tell you? Same thing on both sides.
    Post edited by Drowned Out on
  • Options

Good luck with that.

4,000,000 deaths? Is that a fact? Wow.
    If you count the iraq sanctions, that's the high end of the running estimate.
  • Options

rr165892 said:

how are they different?

mini frances?
    premeditated mass shootings.

people shoot up their work and shoot up schools all the time here. is that any more or less terrible than what happened in france?

i said MINI frances. not on the scale of what happened in paris, but a smaller scale.

• Options

Good luck with that.

Good question.
    Could start by not funding, arming, and training their leaders, I guess?
    Has to happen over time. Better living conditions result in better minds.
    How do we Instill in a mind that it is not ok to support war based on what your government mouth pieces tell you? Same thing on both sides.
    Yes good point.
    But throw the old religion shit behind a reason to kill then I'm sorry your credibility is zero.
  • Options

rr165892 said:

how are they different?

mini frances?

people shoot up their work and shoot up schools all the time here. is that any more or less terrible than what happened in france?

i said MINI frances. not on the scale of what happened in paris, but a smaller scale.
    I guess you guys have an American problem because last the world hears is that none were terror related.
  • Options

rr165892 said:

how are they different?

mini frances?

I guess you guys have an American problem because last the world hears is that none were terror related.
    mass shootings are acts of terror.

• Options
    i can't believe i have to try to explain that you.

• Options

i can't believe i have to try to explain that you.

I am talking about what the current media describes as terror.
  • Options

• Options
    There is confusion because at times certain groups step up if you will and take credit for the terror they caused.
    Other times they are left out of the news, which is it?
  • Options

There is confusion because at times certain groups step up if you will and take credit for the terror they caused.
    who has confusion?

did you read the article?

• Options

who has confusion?

did you read the article?
    Yes I did.
    As it emerges, fact-based determinations can be made whether the perpetrator acted with the necessary ideological intent that separates other forms of violence from terrorism
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Good luck with that.

You dirty apologist, you America hating fuck, how dare you criticize this country?
    Oh, that's right...facts.

Can't bring facts or history into it, that makes you a terrorist apologist and a circle jerker, you are only allowed to invoke God and get angry.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    rgambs said:

Good luck with that.

You dirty apologist, you America hating fuck, how dare you criticize this country?
    Oh, that's right...facts.

Can't bring facts or history into it, that makes you a terrorist apologist and a circle jerker, you are only allowed to invoke God and get angry.
    Giddy up!
  • Options
    I think the thing is this:

I completely understand the anger swelling in many Middle Eastern people towards the United States and its accomplices. I completely understand why many have been driven to violence. People who have lost family members have every reason to loathe soldiers occupying their country who's hands have, ultimately, dealt them death.

I don't understand taking out their anger on travellers inside an airport or concert goers though. If my family was killed by the hands of some country's soldiers... I wouldn't be exacting my revenge against soft targets in malls, airports, and concert halls. 'Other' innocent people wouldn't be on my list of people to kill.

And I'm only talking about those that have been directly involved in the fighting. Why the f**k do some punk ass shit kids think they've got a cause to ruthlessly slaughter their fellow countrymen- the people they have lived alongside for the larger part of their lives if not all?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

I don't understand taking out their anger on travellers inside an airport or concert goers though. If my family was killed by the hands of some country's soldiers... I wouldn't be exacting my revenge against soft targets in malls, airports, and concert halls. 'Other' innocent people wouldn't be on my list of people to kill.

I'm guessing that a lot of it has to do with the fact that there is significant emotional impact in targeting civilians. Moreover, when you consider that these terrorists are at a massive military disadvantage and have no way of dealing a significant blow to the Western world attacking civilians is probably the result of years of accumulated frustration and hatred. There is no justification for what these Islamic terrorists are doing but I'm not surprised that they continue to target innocent bystanders.
  • Options

I'm guessing that a lot of it has to do with the fact that there is significant emotional impact in targeting civilians. Moreover, when you consider that these terrorists are at a massive military disadvantage and have no way of dealing a significant blow to the Western world attacking civilians is probably the result of years of accumulated frustration and hatred. There is no justification for what these Islamic terrorists are doing but I'm not surprised that they continue to target innocent bystanders.
    I know why they're doing it. And I get that part of it (as much as anyone can given I can't even begin to imagine).

But there's this to my last post which probably was the most significant portion of it given it was what I was getting at: And I'm only talking about those that have been directly involved in the fighting. Why the f**k do some punk ass shit kids think they've got a cause to ruthlessly slaughter their fellow countrymen- the people they have lived alongside for the larger part of their lives if not all?
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    polaris_x said:

Annafalk said:

PJ_Soul said:

Shawshank said:

You people wanting to blame this on past are utterly lost. There is no excuse for any of this...none! What the hell did the people of Belgium do? The country hardly has a reputation for being an invading, murderous, empire of any sort. Blaming past events is essentially your ignorance of the fact that Islam has a serious problem with violence, and that has been shown over and over and over and over and over again.

King Leopold II, the Belgian Congo, Rwanda, NATO. Sounds like you know nothing about Belgium.
    It is not actually smart to ignore history. It is what shapes nations, cultures, beliefs. It is important to understand this and learn from it.
    Is there any nation with a spotless past? Should innocent civilians bare the costs of things occurring hundreds of years ago?
    not 100 years ago ... like last week or the last month or tomorrow ...

until people realize what western influence in the middle east has caused - we'll continue to be in this perpetual cycle ...

just realize that however many innocent civilians you want to total in these "terrorist" attacks - they are at least tenfold in places like Iraq and Afghanistan now ... every day is a terrorist attack in these places ...

https://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/2016/02/18/us-airstrikes-afghanistan-killing-civilians-greatest-rate-seven-years-new-figures-show/
    It is horrible when civilians get killed. Things like this just shouldn't happen.
  • Options
    How do people explain the 'terrorist attacks nobody cares about'?

Is the west at the root of the bloodlust in these attacks too?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,566
    edited March 2016
    Annafalk said:

PJ_Soul said:

Shawshank said:

You people wanting to blame this on past are utterly lost. There is no excuse for any of this...none! What the hell did the people of Belgium do? The country hardly has a reputation for being an invading, murderous, empire of any sort. Blaming past events is essentially your ignorance of the fact that Islam has a serious problem with violence, and that has been shown over and over and over and over and over again.

King Leopold II, the Belgian Congo, Rwanda, NATO. Sounds like you know nothing about Belgium.
    It is not actually smart to ignore history. It is what shapes nations, cultures, beliefs. It is important to understand this and learn from it.
    Is there any nation with a spotless past? Should innocent civilians bare the costs of things occurring hundreds of years ago?
    Uh, no, of course not. That wasn't at all the point I was making.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    I think that if our governments, (and societies for that matter) aren't going to recognise that their policies and laws of exclusion are in part responsible for the rise of extremism then nothing will change. when our young become so disenfranchised that theyre able to be swayed into extreme ways of thinking and the abhorrent actions that come from that thinking something has to change. our leaders need to step up and lead instead of just continually condemning actions.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say