• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,994
    polaris_x said:

JimmyV said:

polaris_x said:

JimmyV said:

polaris_x said:

JimmyV said:

oh no a European city has been the victim of a terrorist attack.... woe is us.. what will we do... what can be done... who gave a shit about Ankara... who gave a shit about Beirut.. who gives a shit about Syria... how has our compassion become so selective... we say all lives are equal but we don't really mean it...

Love these posts attacking others' compassion. Did you start threads here on Ankara, Beirut, and Syria? Honest question. If you did, good for you. If not, this rings hollow.
    did you? have i offended your selectiveness??? im attacking inconsistency, not peoples compassion. im questioning the whitewash and eurocentrism of our collective history.

you can't have a rational discussion on this ... people don't work in the rational world anymore ...

this event is now called an islamist terrorist attack ... what do you call it when US-led coalition forces repeatedly bomb a hospital that MSF reported? ... it's called collateral damage ... for however long we continue to not recognize the root of this - the more suffering there will be ...
    Actually we had a very rational discussion on it.
    dude ... you took a post that was trying to wake us up to hypocrisy in our viewpoints and took the lazy route by saying if she didn't post anything before that it meant nothing ...

it's akin to responding to a post about animal abuse and asking if someone owns leather ...

it's not even close to being rational
    No, it's just a different point of view from the one you hold. You can label it irrational and lazy or anything else that makes it easier to swallow. Doesn't make it true.
    i'll leave that for you to do
    Yeah...OK.

If you have a further problem PM me and we'll work it out outside the thread. If not, we can both move on.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options

20 people died only at metro...and counting continue
    the photos of the scene are horrible
    i ve been both at airport and the metro station at brussels...
    the airport has very traffic,,is the center of europe and the metro station is with alot of people,,2 lines,1 and 5 pass from that station

It's heartbreaking man. Both for the victims and the survivors.

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,313

the airport has very traffic,,is the center of europe and the metro station is with alot of people,,2 lines,1 and 5 pass from that station

This should be the focus of discussion right now...

Has a group taken responsibility for the attacks yet?
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,313
    This is scary and I really hope it comes to nothing.
    http://m.wyff4.com/national/urgent-belgium-nuclear-plant-evacuated/38633828
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Holy shit...me too.

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    rgambs said:

JimmyV said:

rgambs said:

JimmyV said:

oh no a European city has been the victim of a terrorist attack.... woe is us.. what will we do... what can be done... who gave a shit about Ankara... who gave a shit about Beirut.. who gives a shit about Syria... how has our compassion become so selective... we say all lives are equal but we don't really mean it...

Love these posts attacking others' compassion. Did you start threads here on Ankara, Beirut, and Syria? Honest question. If you did, good for you. If not, this rings hollow.
    If she had, they would be 6 pages deep with MAYBE a dozen replies each.
    Her sentiment is not wrong, and neither is it wrong from all the social media posts you are referencing...the media practices anglo-centrism with vigor, pointing that out is not a sin.
    Anyone of us can bring attention to any issue we want on this board. If something isn't getting the attention it deserves, start a thread and bump it. It isn't about the media. It's about not speaking up about something and then attacking others for speaking up about something else. Most of us on Facebook/Twitter will all see tons of posts like these over the next few days. There will be plenty of support for them. To me they will ring hollow, just like after Paris.
    Disagree.
    There will twice as many Facebook posts of people who couldn't find Belgium on a labelled map sharing their hearts and thoughts and just feeling so terrible. Why the preference for one country they can't find over another?
    The media tells them about one and not the other, and in many cases, the color of the people inhabiting the region is the primary reason for deciding to cover a story or not.
    Chicken or the egg. I do believe that the media is showing what we want to see mostly. Fact is if they didn't look like us we wouldn't care as much and tune in as much. Media is a business.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,458

This should be the focus of discussion right now...

Has a group taken responsibility for the attacks yet?
    according t to italian media,yes..ISIS post at a site they control that they did it
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,458

exactly..
    Nuclear Plant Evacuated..i thinki two of them already..
    is not allow for civilians to be on streets..
    there is a threat about a hosdpital too,the one was close to attacks and when injured people went..
    and a source said they found 3 more suicide vests at the airport
    man,the one did it at airport,they say,that went toi american airlines line at check in and boom...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    Seems like there is more of an initial reaction to bemoan what shitheads we in the west are so far in this thread. Less then 12 hours after a terrorist attack. I find that odd.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    muskydan said:

g under p said:

callen said:

This will give Trump some material.

I'm sure he will have something Provacative to say. It's no wonder The Donald doesn't have to spend much money on political ads....we the people keep him in the news. There's at least 5 threads on this board with his name in it.

I've been through that metro system in Brussels on my way to a festival in Werchter. I hope the Belgium people will recover from this attack.

Peace

And yet some of you geniuses mention his name again as these horrid terrorist events are unfolding, un-fucken-real. God bless the victims and families of those lost by another ISLAMIC TERRORIST attack.
    Okay okay okay one thing is very clear, god did not bless the victims. He allowed them to be torn to bits, maimed and mentally fucked.

And yes Trump comes up because the terrorists harbor same hate that draws humans to trump. Trump will now use this to keep the cycle going.

Finally it's religious terrorism not Muslim terrorism. Yeah same as the Christians wanting to bomb shit out of Muslims. Same exact mentality. Look in the mirror. You are them.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,629

exactly..
    Nuclear Plant Evacuated..i thinki two of them already..
    is not allow for civilians to be on streets..
    there is a threat about a hosdpital too,the one was close to attacks and when injured people went..
    and a source said they found 3 more suicide vests at the airport
    man,the one did it at airport,they say,that went toi american airlines line at check in and boom...
    Scary shit.

I hate what this world has become.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    JimmyV said:

polaris_x said:

JimmyV said:

polaris_x said:

JimmyV said:

polaris_x said:

JimmyV said:

did you? have i offended your selectiveness??? im attacking inconsistency, not peoples compassion. im questioning the whitewash and eurocentrism of our collective history.

you can't have a rational discussion on this ... people don't work in the rational world anymore ...

this event is now called an islamist terrorist attack ... what do you call it when US-led coalition forces repeatedly bomb a hospital that MSF reported? ... it's called collateral damage ... for however long we continue to not recognize the root of this - the more suffering there will be ...
    Actually we had a very rational discussion on it.
    dude ... you took a post that was trying to wake us up to hypocrisy in our viewpoints and took the lazy route by saying if she didn't post anything before that it meant nothing ...

it's akin to responding to a post about animal abuse and asking if someone owns leather ...

it's not even close to being rational
    No, it's just a different point of view from the one you hold. You can label it irrational and lazy or anything else that makes it easier to swallow. Doesn't make it true.
    i'll leave that for you to do
    Yeah...OK.

If you have a further problem PM me and we'll work it out outside the thread. If not, we can both move on.
    not sure we could accomplish much more
  • Options
    callen said:

muskydan said:

g under p said:

callen said:

I'm sure he will have something Provacative to say. It's no wonder The Donald doesn't have to spend much money on political ads....we the people keep him in the news. There's at least 5 threads on this board with his name in it.

I've been through that metro system in Brussels on my way to a festival in Werchter. I hope the Belgium people will recover from this attack.

Peace

And yet some of you geniuses mention his name again as these horrid terrorist events are unfolding, un-fucken-real. God bless the victims and families of those lost by another ISLAMIC TERRORIST attack.
    Okay okay okay one thing is very clear, god did not bless the victims. He allowed them to be torn to bits, maimed and mentally fucked.

And yes Trump comes up because the terrorists harbor same hate that draws humans to trump. Trump will now use this to keep the cycle going.

Finally it's religious terrorism not Muslim terrorism. Yeah same as the Christians wanting to bomb shit out of Muslims. Same exact mentality. Look in the mirror. You are them.
    Perhaps it will turn out to be Christians that did this. If they are exactly the same. What do you think? 50/50 odds?

Maybe it was a Buddhist. Are they the same too?
  • Options
    Jason P said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

g under p said:

callen said:

Peace

Perhaps it will turn out to be Christians that did this. If they are exactly the same. What do you think? 50/50 odds?

Oh but it had to be our Christian god that did this. Works in mysterious ways.

10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen said:

Jason P said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

g under p said:

callen said:

Peace

I'm not religious but I know how to identify a problem.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Jason P said:

callen said:

Jason P said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

g under p said:

callen said:

Peace

I don't know Jason. Why do you think these particular individuals want to kill? Their people are being bombed maybe? If I were Muslim I'd be pretty pissed off as well.
  • Options
    callen said:

Jason P said:

callen said:

Jason P said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

g under p said:

callen said:

Peace

I don't know Jason. Why do you think these particular individuals want to kill? Their people are being bombed maybe? If I were Muslim I'd be pretty pissed off as well.
    Who has killed more Muslims in the last five years then other Muslims?
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Some of you guys come across as borderline apologists
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,631
    edited March 2016
    my2hands said:

Exactly. If the West is so evil, these apologists should be thanking Trump for not wanting to allow refugees into the US and have them exposed to the West's evil ways.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,044
    my2hands said:

no one is condoning the tactics of the terrorist. but it's pretty plain to see who planted the seed.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Jason P said:

callen said:

Jason P said:

callen said:

Jason P said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

g under p said:

callen said:

Peace

Betting the answer to this is neither the people in the airport nor the people in that Metro station.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    dignin said:

rgambs said:

JimmyV said:

rgambs said:

JimmyV said:

If she had, they would be 6 pages deep with MAYBE a dozen replies each.
    Her sentiment is not wrong, and neither is it wrong from all the social media posts you are referencing...the media practices anglo-centrism with vigor, pointing that out is not a sin.
    Anyone of us can bring attention to any issue we want on this board. If something isn't getting the attention it deserves, start a thread and bump it. It isn't about the media. It's about not speaking up about something and then attacking others for speaking up about something else. Most of us on Facebook/Twitter will all see tons of posts like these over the next few days. There will be plenty of support for them. To me they will ring hollow, just like after Paris.
    Disagree.
    There will twice as many Facebook posts of people who couldn't find Belgium on a labelled map sharing their hearts and thoughts and just feeling so terrible. Why the preference for one country they can't find over another?
    The media tells them about one and not the other, and in many cases, the color of the people inhabiting the region is the primary reason for deciding to cover a story or not.
    Chicken or the egg. I do believe that the media is showing what we want to see mostly. Fact is if they didn't look like us we wouldn't care as much and tune in as much. Media is a business.
    I think we all look like each other.

And holy fuck! I'm trying to figure out how people expressing sorrow, sympathy and compassion shouldn't be doing so.
  • Options
    my2hands said:

No no no. Looking at root cause is not being an apologist. These terrorists are vile. No doubt. Our Christian hate feeds this though.
  • Options

my2hands said:

Exactly. If the West is so evil, these apologists should be thanking Trump for not wanting to allow refugees into the US and have them exposed to the West's evil ways.
    The trump supporting mentality is same as these terrorists. Same human trait. Kill the other tribe.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

callen said:

Jason P said:

callen said:

Jason P said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

g under p said:

callen said:

Peace

So five years is statute of limitations on bombing and killing?
  • Options
    no one is saying:
    * you shouldn't feel for the victims and people of the events of today
    * that it is ok to bomb innocent people

all we or maybe I should just put I am saying is:
    * if it's not ok to bomb innocent people at a train station in brussels - it's not ok to bomb innocent people in a hospital in afghanistan
    * that if you're initial response to this is to condemn muslims - then you should understand what it's been like being a muslim in many countries suffering the consequences of US foreign policy
    * that if you truly wanted these events to stop - you must look at what the cause is
  • Options
    Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
    callen said:

my2hands said:

No no no. Looking at root cause is not being an apologist. These terrorists are vile. No doubt. Our Christian hate feeds this though.
    Does our Christian hate feed the stoning of women for not wanting to marry in an arranged marriage? How about the sexual abuse of little kids? Does the Christian hate tell people to make sure women are covered head to toe? The terrorist are the ones we hear about, but what about the Muslims who think it is fine to treat women the way they do, to rape children, they are just as much part of the problem as the terrorist who kill innocents.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

no one is saying:
    * you shouldn't feel for the victims and people of the events of today
    * that it is ok to bomb innocent people

all we or maybe I should just put I am saying is:
    * if it's not ok to bomb innocent people at a train station in brussels - it's not ok to bomb innocent people in a hospital in afghanistan
    * that if you're initial response to this is to condemn muslims - then you should understand what it's been like being a muslim in many countries suffering the consequences of US foreign policy
    * that if you truly wanted these events to stop - you must look at what the cause is

It's just so much more satisfying claiming the moral high ground and superiority. And it's national security.
  • Options

callen said:

my2hands said:

Does our Christian hate feed the stoning of women for not wanting to marry in an arranged marriage? How about the sexual abuse of little kids? Does the Christian hate tell people to make sure women are covered head to toe? The terrorist are the ones we hear about, but what about the Muslims who think it is fine to treat women the way they do, to rape children, they are just as much part of the problem as the terrorist who kill innocents.
    pretty sure raping children is not a muslim-only phenomenon