Trump's rally in Chicago stopped due to protests

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    edited March 2016
    ckravitz said:

brianlux said:

myoung321 said:

If I were going to a website that has a MAJORITY of members that were Conservatives, then started baiting threads everyday, that I knew were going to create arguments, I would hope to begin to think just maybe I needed to rethink my need for attention.

I've asked the same questions you've asked a couple of times. myyoung, and never really gotten much a fix on it. Odd as it may seem, there are some very conservative people who enjoy the music made by a band that has been outspokenly liberal in their viewpoints. I sometimes wonder if there are very liberal minded folks who still listen to Ted Nugent. Yes, very perplexing.
    Is it really perplexing? With all due respect this can be seen as making inferences towards the old "you're with us or you're against us" mentality. Perhaps people find solace in Pearl Jam's art in ways that transcend political views. You can care deeply about people/things despite not seeing eye to eye on things political. There's a lot more to life than that! I know you know this so please don't read this as uppity or preachy but this line of discussion has come up before and it kind of comes across as exclusionary. Beyond the band preaching any type of hatred (which they obviously don't) I don't see why people of all backgrounds, opinions, etc., can't find something from them. I think it is pretty awesome that people enjoy the band despite having differing opinions and coming from different walks of life.

What do you think the band members would say if asked whether they think it's cool to question fandom based purely on political views? Beyond basic human rights stuff, politics are but a small picture of what someone is and I think they know this (but who knows, maybe I'm wrong).
    I'm not saying that people who are highly conservative should not be Pearl Jam fans. I never said that. I just find it odd. It's not like the band's liberal/progressive attributes are like their clothes of hair cuts which have changed numerous times during their career. Those progressive elements have been an integral part of they band all along. So yeah, it is perplexing... to me at least. But do I think conservatives should not be allowed to be fans? Of course they can.
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Pearl34JamPearl34Jam TN Posts: 1,102
    brianlux said:

Protester was beat up today !

They shouldn't have protested.
    this is almost as comical as "the silent majority" badge
    If you don't support someone or something, then don't show up. You should go to an event that you do support. Not disrupt an event like a child and not expect to get popped in the face.
    I don't think it's a matter of people protesting Trump simply because they do not support him. It's more about people objecting to having a racist neo-nazi promote hate, violence and racism. It's the same reason why we protested the war Viet Nam and help bring an end to that travesty. What Trump stands for and promotes is a travesty and many Americans find it abhorrent that so many give support to that. Protest against that is a reasonable, justifiable reaction.
    And our "very active" President Obama doesn't divide the country? Why does he not ask groups such as the Black Lives Matter group to be peaceful? Why does he not refer to ISIS as terrorists? And how about him saying that Conservatives cling to their guns and religion?

He's completely divided the country and hasn't been able to control the violence and anger. We need someone that will bring about peace and (that familiar word) CHANGE for the better of our country.
    "Must I keep explaining my decisions to you strangers of the Internet?" - Merch tent 8/19/16

'13: 10/27 Baltimore
    '15: 9/26 New York City
    '16: 4/16 Greenville (VS!), 4/26 Lexington, 4/28 Philly, 8/20 Wrigley
    '18: 9/02 Fenway
    '22: 9/16 Nashville
    ’24: 8/26 Noblesville, 9/12 Baltimore
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    brianlux said:

If you don't support someone or something, then don't show up. You should go to an event that you do support. Not disrupt an event like a child and not expect to get popped in the face.
    I don't think it's a matter of people protesting Trump simply because they do not support him. It's more about people objecting to having a racist neo-nazi promote hate, violence and racism. It's the same reason why we protested the war Viet Nam and help bring an end to that travesty. What Trump stands for and promotes is a travesty and many Americans find it abhorrent that so many give support to that. Protest against that is a reasonable, justifiable reaction.
    I agree. Yes to free speech, but no to preaching hate, violence, and racism. As Jose said earlier, Trump is promoting violence against his protestors. Is this a person who should be our president? No, no, hell no. What about his quote saying he could shoot somebody on 5th Avenue and he wouldn't lose voters?

I can see why people are protesting.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608

dignin said:

I don't know if you fully understand what the word protest means.

And if someone is protesting peacefully, they should never get "popped in the face". That's not how we roll in a civilized country.
    Okay, I see what you're saying. However, if someone wants to peacefully protest they should do it outside of the rally and not inside. I don't know if there is a way to peacefully protest in the middle of a rally.

In this day and age you're just looking for trouble if you are protesting inside.
    Than God not everyone thinks this way. If they did, the western world would be full of dictatorships and civil rights wouldn't exist.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

I don't know if you fully understand what the word protest means.

And if someone is protesting peacefully, they should never get "popped in the face". That's not how we roll in a civilized country.
    Okay, I see what you're saying. However, if someone wants to peacefully protest they should do it outside of the rally and not inside. I don't know if there is a way to peacefully protest in the middle of a rally.

In this day and age you're just looking for trouble if you are protesting inside.
    Than God not everyone thinks this way. If they did, the western world would be full of dictatorships and civil rights wouldn't exist.
    Glad to see that this time you controlled your personal insults in this reply to me. I'm impressed.
    "Must I keep explaining my decisions to you strangers of the Internet?" - Merch tent 8/19/16

• Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    brianlux said:

myoung321 said:

If I were going to a website that has a MAJORITY of members that were Conservatives, then started baiting threads everyday, that I knew were going to create arguments, I would hope to begin to think just maybe I needed to rethink my need for attention.

I've asked the same questions you've asked a couple of times. myyoung, and never really gotten much a fix on it. Odd as it may seem, there are some very conservative people who enjoy the music made by a band that has been outspokenly liberal in their viewpoints. I sometimes wonder if there are very liberal minded folks who still listen to Ted Nugent. Yes, very perplexing.
    Like Eddie Vedder and others, I don't care that Johnny Ramone is a republican or that ZZ Top played at the GOP convention in 2012. As long as they're rational human beings unlike Nugent, it don't matter. Besides, I'd be a hypocrite since I've listened to music of people who have done awful things like beat up their wives like Axl Rose. Ramone's freindship with liberal musicians influenced by him like Vedder and other punk rock legends shows that music is sometimes thicker than politics.

As far as Nugent goes, I do dig High Enough by Damn Yankees for childhood nostalgia reasons.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986

brianlux said:

And our "very active" President Obama doesn't divide the country? Why does he not ask groups such as the Black Lives Matter group to be peaceful? Why does he not refer to ISIS as terrorists? And how about him saying that Conservatives cling to their guns and religion?

He's completely divided the country and hasn't been able to control the violence and anger. We need someone that will bring about peace and (that familiar word) CHANGE for the better of our country.
    No he absolutely doesn't. Turn off Fox News...that's the only news organization pushing the garbage that you are posting.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    edited March 2016
    brianlux said:

ckravitz said:

brianlux said:

myoung321 said:

Is it really perplexing? With all due respect this can be seen as making inferences towards the old "you're with us or you're against us" mentality. Perhaps people find solace in Pearl Jam's art in ways that transcend political views. You can care deeply about people/things despite not seeing eye to eye on things political. There's a lot more to life than that! I know you know this so please don't read this as uppity or preachy but this line of discussion has come up before and it kind of comes across as exclusionary. Beyond the band preaching any type of hatred (which they obviously don't) I don't see why people of all backgrounds, opinions, etc., can't find something from them. I think it is pretty awesome that people enjoy the band despite having differing opinions and coming from different walks of life.

What do you think the band members would say if asked whether they think it's cool to question fandom based purely on political views? Beyond basic human rights stuff, politics are but a small picture of what someone is and I think they know this (but who knows, maybe I'm wrong).
    I'm not saying that people who are highly conservative should not be Pearl Jam fans. I never said that. I just find it odd. It's not like the band's liberal/progressive attributes are like their clothes of hair cuts which have changed numerous times during their career. Those progressive elements have been an integral part of they band all along. So yeah, it is perplexing... to me at least. But do I think conservatives should not be allowed to be fans? Of course they can.
    Kasich is a fan of them as well. I read about this in Entertainment Weekly. He also loves Floyd and Rush. Hell, I don't agree with Ayn Rand's philosophies but Neil Peart is a well rounded human being. He's even outspoken against libertarian Rand Paul which is good since he's one of those cafeteria libertarians that irritate me. Rand aside, I rock out to Anthem from Fly By Night every time I hear that intro riff by Lifeson.

Then again, he's the most "sane" one of the debates.
    Post edited by InHiding80 on
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    edited March 2016
    brianlux said:

ckravitz said:

brianlux said:

myoung321 said:

This one still baffles me.

Not to mention all the Right Wing smears of the band and Eddie in particular.

Remember this Gem?

Pearl Jam Clown Eddie Vedder Goes on Ugly Anti-Israel Rant
    What a surprise to see a liberal icon expose himself as an ignorant buffoon.

`````
    Eddie has never been shy about his politics.

Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder celebrated his New Year in Hawaii, performing at a pair of holiday shows with comedian Bill Maher, and he used the opportunity to poke fun at GOP presidential hopeful Donald Trump.

Read More: Eddie Vedder Mocks Donald Trump at Bill Maher’s New Year’s Eve Show | http://diffuser.fm/eddie-vedder-mocks-donald-trump-at-bill-mahers-new-years-eve-show/?trackback=tsmclip
    Post edited by myoung321 on
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options

brianlux said:

How did Obama become part of this conversation all of the sudden? And how did it veer into the subject of a divided nation? You lost me.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    brianlux said:

ckravitz said:

brianlux said:

myoung321 said:

You did say "highly conservative" so in thinking about it some more I'd have to more or less agree given that qualification since most folks of that specific alignment would probably find a lot of their lyrics not to their liking. But to me, Pearl Jam's basic premise just seems to be (and excuse the vulgarity) respect others, help out where you can, and don't be a douche. Beyond far fringes on either side I think that should appeal to most people. (and to just for clarity, I am in no way suggesting they aren't liberal).

Anyway, didn't mean to hijack, back to the Trump loony train!
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Pearl34Jam said:
    Why does he not refer to ISIS as terrorists?

I can announce that America will lead a broad coalition to roll back this terrorist threat. Our objective is clear: we will degrade, and ultimately destroy, ISIL through a comprehensive and sustained counter-terrorism strategy.
    Barak Obama - President of the United States of America - Wed Sep 10, 2014

Bet I could probably find 10 more in less than a 5 minutes....

Post edited by myoung321 on

• Options

brianlux said:

ckravitz said:

brianlux said:

myoung321 said:

Kasich is a fan of them as well. I read about this in Entertainment Weekly. He also loves Floyd and Rush. Hell, I don't agree with Ayn Rand's philosophies but Neil Peart is a well rounded human being. He's even outspoken against libertarian Rand Paul which is good since he's one of those cafeteria libertarians that irritate me. Rand aside, I rock out to Anthem from Fly By Night every time I hear that intro riff by Lifeson.

Then again, he's the most "sane" one of the debates.
    Good points.

What probably should be pointed out is that music stands on its own in the sonic realm. I love Dinosaur Jr but hell if I know what J is singing about half the time, haha!

What makes the least sense to me is when someone logs on here with the idea that promoting a conservative agenda is going to sway anyone's opinion. I can almost guarantee that not one person who posts on AMT has gone from being a progressive to being a Trump supporter. And, again, I'm not saying there should be a rule against supporting a conservative agenda on AMT but that several people have spent so much time attempting to so so seems puzzling to me.

Now I can see why some might try to sway opinions on subjects that have a lot of grey area (not to me, but to people in general)- birth control, economics, energy, taxation, for example. But when it comes to supporting a candidate who is a recognized racist... rooting for that man here? Why bother? I really don't think anyone here who supports Bernie Sanders one day is going to say, "Screw that Bernie guy, I'm going with Trump!" I mean, if that's how you want to spend your energy, well, OK then. Good luck with that.

• Options
    I don't think people post on AMT with intentions of promoting and supporting a racist. It is for certain though that any talk or whisper that disturbs the liberal peace and all hell breaks loose around here. AMT yee haw!!
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

So was there violence or not? If not, i see no problem. If there was, not cool.

The problem is, a lot of the same people who don't know the difference between "sabotage" and "terrorism" don't know the difference between angry protest and violence.

----------------------------------------------------------

Wouldn't it be cool if we all got up one morning and on the news there was Trump making this announcement:

"Guess what people, the whole thing is a sham! I'm not a racist. I don't even really want to be your president! I've been making up all this shit for years with the intent of running on a racist platform just to see how many of you true racist would come out of the woodwork and show yourselves. Shame on you! Yes, I deceived you but now the whole world knows what a serious racial problem we have in America and that is shameful!"

Wouldn't that be cool?

But guess what-- that's exactly what he's doing whether intentional or not. Shame on all the racism in America!
  • Options
    edited March 2016

I don't think people post on AMT with intentions of promoting and supporting a racist. It is for certain though that any talk or whisper that disturbs the liberal peace and all hell breaks loose around here. AMT yee haw!!

As if progressives were really that simple minded. :rollingeyeballs:

• Options

• Options
    edited March 2016
    brianlux said:

ckravitz said:

brianlux said:

myoung321 said:

As long as they don't yell at shows to "shut up and sing". Conservative fans are fully welcome being PJ fans, as long as they don't expect an openly politically and socially liberal band to be something they're not.
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    In regards to protesters shutting down Trump's rally ( back on topic ), may there be many more US citizens standing up to the Hate, to the violence, to the ridiculous and dangerous agenda set to tear this country apart brought to you in the name of Donald Drumpf.

By egging on the violence of his supporters, he has crossed an utterly disturbing line that is headed to the wrath this country will NOT stand for.

Yes I still think this campaign of his is all still for entertainment value and in fulfilling the media's and Drumpf's ultimate ego trip, but he is going too far.

McCain, at least, had the decency of stopping the hatred of his supporters leading to violence back when he was campaigning, vocally speaking out against it. Drumpf is single handedly bringing out the worst in human nature and enabling the destruction of not only our country but who we are as human beings.
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

How did Obama become part of this conversation all of the sudden? And how did it veer into the subject of a divided nation? You lost me.
    If you'd look at the comment I quoted, you'd see that the person said that Trump would promote hate and violence. So I pointed out that our current President has been doing that since 2008. Just adding on to the conversation.

• Options

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

If you'd look at the comment I quoted, you'd see that the person said that Trump would promote hate and violence. So I pointed out that our current President has been doing that since 2008. Just adding on to the conversation.
    Fox News watcher?
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

So Obama is to blame correct ?
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

Not seeing where you get "dividing the country" from that but I believe you.

Never-the-less, I think you're talking apples and oranges. Obama did nothing to add to divisions in the country that weren't already there. As for Trump, the only thing he is dividing is his own part. But as I've alluded to elsewhere, I suspect this is a ruse and Republican Party members are the butt of the joke.

• Options
    Divisions in this country have been caused by citizens and lawmakers who see others who may be different as a threat more than anything else.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    People of color and other minorities don't divide. It's the majority that feels threatened by the minority that's causing division overall.

...and bringing that hate and letting it escalate. Just look at the supporters at these Trump rallies. Who's starting the violence? Who's egging it on? Not Obama.
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    edited March 2016
    brianlux said:

ckravitz said:

brianlux said:

myoung321 said:

C'mon Brian...you know I'm one of these conservative fans. It is not odd at all. I always say...I like left wing music and right wing literature. I may not agree with Pearl Jam on many political issues but I absolutely love their passion. Music should be about love, introspection, idealism and expression of thought...any thought... and it only works when the artist is honest with who he or she is. Pearl Jam does this better then anyone and as a real conservative I will defend their or any progressives artist ability to speak even when it offends. Take Bushleaguer for example...it is the complete opposite from my thoughts on Bush but I actually think it is fantastic both as a "protest" song and as a straight-up art piece when the Bush mask is worn. This shouldn't be "perplexing" to you. Conservatives don't need "safe spaces" or "trigger warnings". We don't see opposing view points as "hate speech" and can actually respect those view points and even enjoy them when they are delivered intelligently. Don't be perplexed man.
    Post edited by BS44325 on
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    ^^^
    If people posted that with Hilary instead of trump AMT would explode.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Very informative.

Dog whistle politics: when politicians use coded language they defend as benign but is intended to provoke strong emotional responses in their target audience.

https://www.facebook.com/moveon/videos/10153314233365493/
    Post edited by Free on