• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759

brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

brianlux said:

ckravitz said:

brianlux said:

myoung321 said:

If I were going to a website that has a MAJORITY of members that were Conservatives, then started baiting threads everyday, that I knew were going to create arguments, I would hope to begin to think just maybe I needed to rethink my need for attention.

I've asked the same questions you've asked a couple of times. myyoung, and never really gotten much a fix on it. Odd as it may seem, there are some very conservative people who enjoy the music made by a band that has been outspokenly liberal in their viewpoints. I sometimes wonder if there are very liberal minded folks who still listen to Ted Nugent. Yes, very perplexing.
    Is it really perplexing? With all due respect this can be seen as making inferences towards the old "you're with us or you're against us" mentality. Perhaps people find solace in Pearl Jam's art in ways that transcend political views. You can care deeply about people/things despite not seeing eye to eye on things political. There's a lot more to life than that! I know you know this so please don't read this as uppity or preachy but this line of discussion has come up before and it kind of comes across as exclusionary. Beyond the band preaching any type of hatred (which they obviously don't) I don't see why people of all backgrounds, opinions, etc., can't find something from them. I think it is pretty awesome that people enjoy the band despite having differing opinions and coming from different walks of life.

What do you think the band members would say if asked whether they think it's cool to question fandom based purely on political views? Beyond basic human rights stuff, politics are but a small picture of what someone is and I think they know this (but who knows, maybe I'm wrong).
    I'm not saying that people who are highly conservative should not be Pearl Jam fans. I never said that. I just find it odd. It's not like the band's liberal/progressive attributes are like their clothes of hair cuts which have changed numerous times during their career. Those progressive elements have been an integral part of they band all along. So yeah, it is perplexing... to me at least. But do I think conservatives should not be allowed to be fans? Of course they can.
    C'mon Brian...you know I'm one of these conservative fans. It is not odd at all. I always say...I like left wing music and right wing literature. I may not agree with Pearl Jam on many political issues but I absolutely love their passion. Music should be about love, introspection, idealism and expression of thought...any thought... and it only works when the artist is honest with who he or she is. Pearl Jam does this better then anyone and as a real conservative I will defend their or any progressives artist ability to speak even when it offends. Take Bushleaguer for example...it is the complete opposite from my thoughts on Bush but I actually think it is fantastic both as a "protest" song and as a straight-up art piece when the Bush mask is worn. This shouldn't be "perplexing" to you. Conservatives don't need "safe spaces" or "trigger warnings". We don't see opposing view points as "hate speech" and can actually respect those view points and even enjoy them when they are delivered intelligently. Don't be perplexed man.
    100%
    I'm glad you guys enjoy the music. I still think it's a bit strange that you come here to discuss politics. It's your perfect right, of course. But personally, I would not choose a band site that is so very much contrary to my beliefs on which to discuss politics. I might discuss the music or the weather or my cat or dog, but I would not have the slightest inclination to waste my time discussing politics. I don't see what you get out of it.

Just curious- besides A Moving Train, about what percentage of your time here do you guiys post on the various other forums sections- the Porch, Other Music, All Encompassing Trip, etc. Surely you must spend a majority of your posting time on PJ related forum sections since that's what it's about for you, correct?
    When did you get kicked off the porch for posting so much there blux?
    I've never been kicked off the porch but I got a ride from a dude on acid driving a VW van one time while I was hitch hiking. Why?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    I find it funny the crowds in that shit box called Chicago organize a massive protest against someone who will probably help give them more job opportunities than any president in the last quarter century, but seem to have zero interest in organizing massive protests in opposition to the fuckers that slaughter their fellow ctizens on a daily basis. What a bunch of dumbasses.
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,809
    edited March 2016
    Shawshank said:

I find it funny the crowds in that shit box called Chicago organize a massive protest against someone who will probably help give them more job opportunities than any president in the last quarter century, but seem to have zero interest in organizing massive protests in opposition to the fuckers that slaughter their fellow ctizens on a daily basis. What a bunch of dumbasses.

The citizens of Chicago who have watched their city turn in to the joke of America? Who have watched crime and murder hit an all time high? Who have watched their Public School System turn into a absolute joke? Who have watched a bunch of corrupt politicians run that city to the ground? Yet keep on electing the Democrats, for the last 80 years?

Those citizens?
    Post edited by SPEEDY MCCREADY on
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    If you actually support Trump... feel free, but you should do so quietly around here unless you're down with people speaking towards you as if you are an uneducated fool (the sort Trump is trying to appeal to).

Just as sitting in a church and talking about how cool Beelzebub is would draw heavy criticism by religious people... or sitting in Fenway talking about how shitty Ted Williams was... coming here and talking about how cool Trump is will not be received well- the majority of people on here have at a minimum a remote level of intelligence.

For a serious Trumpfest... one has to find a place where the people are stupid and toothpaste is safe.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013

Shawshank said:

The citizens of Chicago who have watched their city turn in to the joke of America? Who have watched crime and murder hit an all time high? Who have watched their Public School System turn into a absolute joke? Who have watched a bunch of corrupt politicians run that city to the ground? Yet keep on electing the Democrats, for the last 80 years?

Those citizens?
    THANK YOU!!! SPOT ON
  • Options
    muskydan said:

Shawshank said:

Those citizens?
    THANK YOU!!! SPOT ON
    Yesterday was nothing but PURE COMEDY, here in Chicago. You and I both realize that.

Yet I get to read and hear how people are so proud of Chicago?
    Pure Comedy.

Tuesday should be interesting.
    Ohio
    Illinois
    Florida

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Free said:

brianlux said:

ckravitz said:

brianlux said:

myoung321 said:

If I were going to a website that has a MAJORITY of members that were Conservatives, then started baiting threads everyday, that I knew were going to create arguments, I would hope to begin to think just maybe I needed to rethink my need for attention.

I've asked the same questions you've asked a couple of times. myyoung, and never really gotten much a fix on it. Odd as it may seem, there are some very conservative people who enjoy the music made by a band that has been outspokenly liberal in their viewpoints. I sometimes wonder if there are very liberal minded folks who still listen to Ted Nugent. Yes, very perplexing.
    Is it really perplexing? With all due respect this can be seen as making inferences towards the old "you're with us or you're against us" mentality. Perhaps people find solace in Pearl Jam's art in ways that transcend political views. You can care deeply about people/things despite not seeing eye to eye on things political. There's a lot more to life than that! I know you know this so please don't read this as uppity or preachy but this line of discussion has come up before and it kind of comes across as exclusionary. Beyond the band preaching any type of hatred (which they obviously don't) I don't see why people of all backgrounds, opinions, etc., can't find something from them. I think it is pretty awesome that people enjoy the band despite having differing opinions and coming from different walks of life.

What do you think the band members would say if asked whether they think it's cool to question fandom based purely on political views? Beyond basic human rights stuff, politics are but a small picture of what someone is and I think they know this (but who knows, maybe I'm wrong).
    I'm not saying that people who are highly conservative should not be Pearl Jam fans. I never said that. I just find it odd. It's not like the band's liberal/progressive attributes are like their clothes of hair cuts which have changed numerous times during their career. Those progressive elements have been an integral part of they band all along. So yeah, it is perplexing... to me at least. But do I think conservatives should not be allowed to be fans? Of course they can.
    As long as they don't yell at shows to "shut up and sing". Conservative fans are fully welcome being PJ fans, as long as they don't expect an openly politically and socially liberal band to be something they're not.
    It's acceptable to protest or exercize free speech when it comes to Trump but not Vedder? Freedom of speech goes both ways.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options

If you actually support Trump... feel free, but you should do so quietly around here unless you're down with people speaking towards you as if you are an uneducated fool (the sort Trump is trying to appeal to).

Just as sitting in a church and talking about how cool Beelzebub is would draw heavy criticism by religious people... or sitting in Fenway talking about how shitty Ted Williams was... coming here and talking about how cool Trump is will not be received well- the majority of people on here have at a minimum a remote level of intelligence.

For a serious Trumpfest... one has to find a place where the people are stupid and toothpaste is safe.

"You should do so Quietly around here" HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA You really would have fit in perfectly with them "peaceful Protesters" last night at the Rally…The same Losers who so passionately support Freedom of speech but are so intolerant of letting OTHERS have theirs.
    I tell ya, this place is priceless to me and its people like you that keep me coming back for constant laughs and to totally reaffirm all my political views. Thank you
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

Free said:

brianlux said:

ckravitz said:

brianlux said:

myoung321 said:

As long as they don't yell at shows to "shut up and sing". Conservative fans are fully welcome being PJ fans, as long as they don't expect an openly politically and socially liberal band to be something they're not.
    It's acceptable to protest or exercize free speech when it comes to Trump but not Vedder? Freedom of speech goes both ways.
    It's almost as if there are two sets of fans when presented by an opinion such as the above.
    An elitist, cliquish type fanfare.
    Certainly not like trump.
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    Shawshank said:

Pot kettle black on the last sentence. Foil is for leftover food, not for heads.
  • Options
    Pearl34JamPearl34Jam TN Posts: 1,102
    brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

brianlux said:

ckravitz said:

brianlux said:

myoung321 said:

C'mon Brian...you know I'm one of these conservative fans. It is not odd at all. I always say...I like left wing music and right wing literature. I may not agree with Pearl Jam on many political issues but I absolutely love their passion. Music should be about love, introspection, idealism and expression of thought...any thought... and it only works when the artist is honest with who he or she is. Pearl Jam does this better then anyone and as a real conservative I will defend their or any progressives artist ability to speak even when it offends. Take Bushleaguer for example...it is the complete opposite from my thoughts on Bush but I actually think it is fantastic both as a "protest" song and as a straight-up art piece when the Bush mask is worn. This shouldn't be "perplexing" to you. Conservatives don't need "safe spaces" or "trigger warnings". We don't see opposing view points as "hate speech" and can actually respect those view points and even enjoy them when they are delivered intelligently. Don't be perplexed man.
    100%
    I'm glad you guys enjoy the music. I still think it's a bit strange that you come here to discuss politics. It's your perfect right, of course. But personally, I would not choose a band site that is so very much contrary to my beliefs on which to discuss politics. I might discuss the music or the weather or my cat or dog, but I would not have the slightest inclination to waste my time discussing politics. I don't see what you get out of it.

Just curious- besides A Moving Train, about what percentage of your time here do you guiys post on the various other forums sections- the Porch, Other Music, All Encompassing Trip, etc. Surely you must spend a majority of your posting time on PJ related forum sections since that's what it's about for you, correct?
    As a matter of fact, I rarely check or post in AMT. I usually post in The Porch.

And the reason I decide to discuss politics here is because I honestly want to hear what the other side has to say on issues. I find it interesting.

And I don't add insults when someone disagrees with me, which is what many seem to do here. I disagree in peace! :peace:
    "Must I keep explaining my decisions to you strangers of the Internet?" - Merch tent 8/19/16

'13: 10/27 Baltimore
    '15: 9/26 New York City
    '16: 4/16 Greenville (VS!), 4/26 Lexington, 4/28 Philly, 8/20 Wrigley
    '18: 9/02 Fenway
    '22: 9/16 Nashville
    ’24: 8/26 Noblesville, 9/12 Baltimore
  • Options
    muskydan said:

Shawshank said:

Those citizens?
    THANK YOU!!! SPOT ON
    The Chicago way.
    Rahm Emanuel, Obama's Chief of Staff, leaves the White House to become Mayor of Chicago.
    Rahm appoints Barbara Byrd-Bennett CEO of the Chicago Public School System.
    Bennett has now pleaded guilty to multiple charges, including bribery and kickbacks and is looking at 7.5 years in prison.

Im so proud of Chicago!
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    nice meeting you, pearl34. lots of interesting & good times to be had here in the moving train. there is a great group of ppl here. i do not hardly ever go to the porch. i'll hold my tongue

there is already a trump thread which is for trump topics. enjoy your time here.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited March 2016
    muskydan said:

"You should do so Quietly around here" HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA You really would have fit in perfectly with them "peaceful Protesters" last night at the Rally…The same Losers who so passionately support Freedom of speech but are so intolerant of letting OTHERS have theirs.
    I tell ya, this place is priceless to me and its people like you that keep me coming back for constant laughs and to totally reaffirm all my political views. Thank you
    You missed the second part of my statement (holy Christ what kind of cop are you?). The part that said, "... unless you're down with people speaking towards you as if you are an uneducated fool (the sort Trump is trying to appeal to)."

So... in other words (I'll clarify for you seeing as you need some clarifying)... feel free to talk about Trump. But expecting an appreciative crowd is foolhardy at best.

* You never name dropped here, Musky. You never made mention of the most recent celebrity you've protected. What's up?
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
  • Options
    chadwick said:

nice meeting you, pearl34. lots of interesting & good times to be had here in the moving train. there is a great group of ppl here. i do not hardly ever go to the porch. i'll hold my tongue

there is already a trump thread which is for trump topics. enjoy your time here.

And also... don't limit yourself to Trump.

You should voice what you have to say regarding moe issues that present themselves on here. People will get to know you better and Chadwick is right- there are some really good people here. They don't always agree with each other (sometimes vociferously), but for the most part... respect is there.
  • Options

muskydan said:

You missed the second part of my statement (holy Christ what kind of cop are you?). The part that said, "... unless you're down with people speaking towards you as if you are an uneducated fool (the sort Trump is trying to appeal to)."

So... in other words (I'll clarify for you seeing as you need some clarifying)... feel free to talk about Trump. But expecting an appreciative crowd is foolhardy at best.

* You never name dropped here, Musky. You never made mention of the most recent celebrity you've protected. What's up?
    Thank You again, you are turning into my favorite around here.. Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha. " In the midnight hour she cried More More More"
  • Options

muskydan said:

Shawshank said:

Those citizens?
    THANK YOU!!! SPOT ON
    The Chicago way.
    Rahm Emanuel, Obama's Chief of Staff, leaves the White House to become Mayor of Chicago.
    Rahm appoints Barbara Byrd-Bennett CEO of the Chicago Public School System.
    Bennett has now pleaded guilty to multiple charges, including bribery and kickbacks and is looking at 7.5 years in prison.

Im so proud of Chicago!
    Well atleast we go our beloved Hawks and the 2016 Chicago Cubs... The Libs can't ruin that, but I am sure they will try as they always ruin everything one way or another .... Tight lines
  • Options
    muskydan said:

muskydan said:

Thank You again, you are turning into my favorite around here.. Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha. " In the midnight hour she cried More More More"
    I expected better.

* By the way... I just looked at your user image. I never really looked at it very closely before. It's Obama. Boring. I always thought it was Blue Oyster Cult's Agents of Fortune Album.
  • Options
    Shawshank said:

How many people of Chicago were employed by Trump, here in Chicago, during the 4 years it took to put up the "Trump Tower"? I have a feeling Trump was welcomed with open arms then. Right?

People have short memories.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Man. Saturday night's alright for fighting, I guess?

I post all over the place. In full and in drafts.

Great vibe here tonight!
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Shawshank said:

As a private businessman, Donald Trump has created 22,000 jobs, and brought in an annual revenue of $9.5 billion last year.

Interesting
  • Options

brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

brianlux said:

ckravitz said:

brianlux said:

myoung321 said:

100%

As a matter of fact, I rarely check or post in AMT. I usually post in The Porch.

And the reason I decide to discuss politics here is because I honestly want to hear what the other side has to say on issues. I find it interesting.

And I don't add insults when someone disagrees with me, which is what many seem to do here. I disagree in peace! :peace:
    Yeah, you're right, this is a good place to discuss current events. It gets warm in here, but that's life.

No, insults are not cool. If you ever believe I have insulted you, tell me. I pretty try to keep my criticisms more general. If you already believe I insulted you, my apologies. I really don't like doing that.

I'm just now thinking of this D Boon lyric:

FAKE CONTEST

I'm making my case against a stack full of comics
    Here comes the line...
    I'm loaded with rocket fuel!

Industry Industry
    We're tools for the industry
    We're clothes in the laundry
    Bleached of identity
    You lie there naked
    I lie here naked
    Both on the pavement
    Why are we different?

You lie there naked
    I lie here naked
    Both on the pavement
    Why are we different?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    ^^^ haha! Perfection!

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,660
    Shawshank said:

How will Trump create jobs?

And not everything that happens makes the conservative web pages:
    chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/ct-black-crime-glanton-talk-20151206-story.html
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Shawshank said:

So who are they are supposed to organize massive protests against?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options

Protester was beat up today !

They shouldn't have protested.
    Brilliant.
    Absolutely brilliant.

I might have to agree! When a child taunts a dog and gets bit, you don't blame the dog, it's just a dumb animal that doesn't know better. If they burn their hand on the stove, you don't blame the stove, it doesn't have a brain.

I think I have to agree with you, this analogy fits pretty perfect with the dumb animals and brainless machines that sucker punch peaceful protesters and then threaten to kill them.

Are you not ashamed to stand with that hillbilly disgrace?
  • Options
    Can someone please post a photo of the woman making the Nazi salute for our resident Trump fans? I can't technology.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    rgambs said:

Can someone please post a photo of the woman making the Nazi salute for our resident Trump fans? I can't technology.

You could put up Picts of these fools in full nazi uniforms and his fans wouldn't care he can do or say anything and his supporters will vote for him even his supporters here wouldn't show outrage at something like that !!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options

rgambs said:

You could put up Picts of these fools in full nazi uniforms and his fans wouldn't care he can do or say anything and his supporters will vote for him even his supporters here wouldn't show outrage at something like that !!
    Very true, but it matters to me that their utter lack of shame be publicly documented. If Trump wins or loses we should remember who was on his side as a society and remember that they openly embraced (or conveniently looked away from) the rise of American facism.