Trump

Comments

• Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

don't try and take anything from a freeloader.

Godfather.

Their signs didn't say anything about freeloading. They referred to Trump being a racist and representing white privilege.
    yeah, I really don't want to say how I feel about stuff that here on the train, not many folks here would agree.

Godfather.

• Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
    rgambs said:

How about waving the Mexican Flag. If Mexico is so great why are they here in the USA protesting? That is ironic to me

That is a middle school level assessment of immigration
    There needs to be immigration reform, but who is going to take people serious that throw rocks at police officers and brandish the flag from the country they left? They lose credibility in my opinion.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

rgambs said:

How about waving the Mexican Flag. If Mexico is so great why are they here in the USA protesting? That is ironic to me

There needs to be immigration reform, but who is going to take people serious that throw rocks at police officers and brandish the flag from the country they left? They lose credibility in my opinion.
    I agree
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859

rgambs said:

Yes, any protest that turns into a riot loses credibility.

Vancouver turned into a riot over a hockey game.

Brandishing the flag of another country? Nearly all Americans take part in some form of celebration of their motherland. Paddy's Day, Columbus Day, Puerto Rican Day parade....the list is endless.
    eddiec said:

rgambs said:

Brandishing the flag of another country? Nearly all Americans take part in some form of celebration of their motherland. Paddy's Day, Columbus Day, Puerto Rican Day parade....the list is endless.

I have no issue with flying a flag to honor a persons heritage, but to fly a flag of another country to protest the US just loses credibility in my eyes. It makes me feel they think Mexico is better.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,169
    I agree if people are not going to protest peacefully they need to be detained processed & deported if they are here illegally ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....

eddiec said:

rgambs said:

I have no issue with flying a flag to honor a persons heritage, but to fly a flag of another country to protest the US just loses credibility in my eyes. It makes me feel they think Mexico is better.
    They weren't protesting the US, they were protesting a demagogue who throws around outlandish claims and outright insults aimed at the people who inhabit their homeland.
    I still feel there is an element of racism even with our illegals. Nobody says deport the thousands of illegal Irish who come to the US every year.
    rgambs said:

eddiec said:

rgambs said:

They weren't protesting the US, they were protesting a demagogue who throws around outlandish claims and outright insults aimed at the people who inhabit their homeland.
    With Mexican flags? If they had the Mexican and US flag then fine, but just the Mexican flag?
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
    Yeah poor Trump to be painted with such a broad brush , he's the model diplomatic candidate of 2016 the world is looking at him with admiration ,,,,
  • inmyNCinmyNC Posts: 243

So it's clear trump is an egomaniac.

That said - why can't we have straight talk about some of this stuff. The facts are some people are here illegally. They are by current definition criminals. If we were to follow the law, they would be deported if found here illegally.

Now, based upon the fact that our government and leaders have failed us for so many years, this problem is huge. And while following the law means deporting all, perhaps that isn't the best course of action. But please don't pretend that deporting illegals is unfair in anyway. It certainly is lawful.

And people being proud to be out in public announcing their are illegally in the country is a bit strange to me. We've basically made it so that people think those that want to enforce the law are somehow racist.....wtf????? That is far from the truth.

This whole immigration issue is a gigantic turd with no real good answer. But there are more humane answers that also still ensure we are a nation of laws.

Truthful post..... I have employed a few Latino men throughout the years. All had valid documentation to work within the USA, but not citizens. I've found them to be hard working family oriented men. That said , come February or March a few would quit , leaving the states to return to Mexico. It seemed to happen prior to tax season. Did they pay taxes? I'm unsure..Can't answer that question but it certainly is and has been an issue. Illegal immigrants cannot be turned away when medical attention is needed. Often medical bills go unpaid. I see this as detrimental to the cost of health care. The road to citizenship is anything but a speedy process. It takes too long to become a citizen and that is our governments fault. Reform needs to happen. Our politicians need to take action to speed up the citizenship process for the good Latino folks that want to set roots in our country. That's their right to have that dream. Politicians need to enforce laws and weed out those few that take advantage of our system. The laws are there and need to be enforced.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    eddiec said:

I still feel there is an element of racism even with our illegals. Nobody says deport the thousands of illegal Irish who come to the US every year.

That's true. There are TONS of white illegals in the US and no one seems to mind.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    PJ_Soul said:

eddiec said:

That's true. There are TONS of white illegals in the US and no one seems to mind.
    The same people do mind. It is your assumption that this is only about Latin American illegals is what is so off base.
    inmyNC said:

That said - why can't we have straight talk about some of this stuff. The facts are some people are here illegally. They are by current definition criminals. If we were to follow the law, they would be deported if found here illegally.

Now, based upon the fact that our government and leaders have failed us for so many years, this problem is huge. And while following the law means deporting all, perhaps that isn't the best course of action. But please don't pretend that deporting illegals is unfair in anyway. It certainly is lawful.

And people being proud to be out in public announcing their are illegally in the country is a bit strange to me. We've basically made it so that people think those that want to enforce the law are somehow racist.....wtf????? That is far from the truth.

This whole immigration issue is a gigantic turd with no real good answer. But there are more humane answers that also still ensure we are a nation of laws.

Truthful post..... I have employed a few Latino men throughout the years. All had valid documentation to work within the USA, but not citizens. I've found them to be hard working family oriented men. That said , come February or March a few would quit , leaving the states to return to Mexico. It seemed to happen prior to tax season. Did they pay taxes? I'm unsure..Can't answer that question but it certainly is and has been an issue. Illegal immigrants cannot be turned away when medical attention is needed. Often medical bills go unpaid. I see this as detrimental to the cost of health care. The road to citizenship is anything but a speedy process. It takes too long to become a citizen and that is our governments fault. Reform needs to happen. Our politicians need to take action to speed up the citizenship process for the good Latino folks that want to set roots in our country. That's their right to have that dream. Politicians need to enforce laws and weed out those few that take advantage of our system. The laws are there and need to be enforced.
    Only Latinos , what about the rest of the immigrants from Africa , Europe , Asia etc etc etc ..
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

eddiec said:

The same people do mind. It is your assumption that this is only about Latin American illegals is what is so off base.
    Trump has only mentioned , Mexicans oh and banning of all Muslims ...
    edited May 2016
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

eddiec said:

Oh yeah? What makes you say that? Where is the evidence that that is really true? I've never really seen any. You aren't seriously trying to suggest that the same sentiments are being applied towards white illegals and Mexican or Muslim illegals, are you?? If you are, you're in la la land, or just making shit up.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • inmyNCinmyNC Posts: 243

inmyNC said:

Only Latinos , what about the rest of the immigrants from Africa , Europe , Asia etc etc etc ..
    Oh you are absolutely right.. Before my mothers retirement from nursing at a state hospital she cared for many very sick folks from African countries, Europe , and Latin countries.. Not citizens and many of these patients were penniless ... I think any person from any country here illegally needs to follow the laws. I think Latinos are mentioned at the for front of this debate due to sheer numbers.. They shouldn't as an ethnic group be singled out..
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Pretty sure every single Irish bartender here in Philly is not here legally.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    eddiec said:

I think most people would agree they should follow the same laws. However, they are just a small fraction compared to the thousands coming every day from the southern boarder. You have to bandage the gaping wound first before you bleed out, then you can stitch up the minor cuts.

If there is ever any level of deportation, all illegals should follow the same guidelines. But you need to fix the Mexico/US boarder problem first before any measures are taken or it won't many any difference.
    edited May 2016
    mace1229 said:

eddiec said:

I think most people would agree they should follow the same laws. However, they are just a small fraction compared to the thousands coming every day from the southern boarder. You have to bandage the gaping wound first before you bleed out, then you can stitch up the minor cuts.

If there is ever any level of deportation, all illegals should follow the same guidelines. But you need to fix the Mexico/US boarder problem first before any measures are taken or it won't many any difference.
    So imagine if Trump said he was starting with the Mexicans and working his way down and then deporting every last illegal Irish person. He would lose every Irish-American vote. There are 34.5 million people in the country who claim Irish heritage. Not all are voting for Trump but he would never even dare go there so instead he targeted the Mexicans to rally the support of racist followers.

Edit: He's got all those 'Speak English mother fucker, this is my country' people in his pocket.

Post edited by eddiec on
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    It makes sense to me when discussing illegal immigration and the issues surrounding the topic, that the focus is on Mexicans, as they make up half of all illegal immigrants in this country and they share a border with us. It wouldn't make much sense to me to focus on a small group of illegal immigrants when discussing issues, or needs for reform. Highlighting Mexican illegal immigrants is way more impactful than highlighting a few Sri Lankin illegals, or a few Croatian illegals, or a few Canadian illegals

That being said, I don't condone racism when talking about Mexican immigrants. They should only be highlighted because of their numbers not because of their skin color. If we had millions of illiegal Irish immigrants here, and only tens of thousands of Mexican immigrants, I'd expect the focus to be on the Irish..
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    edited May 2016
    You are reasonable to expect that.... I just don't think that would be the case. I think race/racism has a LOT to do with it. If this were 1925, back when people were racist toward the Irish in America, then yeah. But not so much now. The Mexican immigrant thing is a real hot button issue that is being exploited by Trump because of the racism involved IMO.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

eddiec said:

Oh yeah? What makes you say that? Where is the evidence that that is really true? I've never really seen any. You aren't seriously trying to suggest that the same sentiments are being applied towards white illegals and Mexican or Muslim illegals, are you?? If you are, you're in la la land, or just making shit up.
    Yes I am seriously trying to suggest that. It is the open borders crowd that wants to make this about race in order to avoid a discussion on illegal immigration altogether. That game is over. Yelling racism has lost the power it once had.
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

eddiec said:

Yes I am seriously trying to suggest that. It is the open borders crowd that wants to make this about race in order to avoid a discussion on illegal immigration altogether. That game is over. Yelling racism has lost the power it once had.
    WTF is the open borders crowd? I've never heard anyone advocate for an open border.
    And it's not a game. And actually racism is still a very powerful issue.
    eddiec said:

mace1229 said:

eddiec said:

So imagine if Trump said he was starting with the Mexicans and working his way down and then deporting every last illegal Irish person. He would lose every Irish-American vote. There are 34.5 million people in the country who claim Irish heritage. Not all are voting for Trump but he would never even dare go there so instead he targeted the Mexicans to rally the support of racist followers.

Edit: He's got all those 'Speak English mother fucker, this is my country' people in his pocket.

I don't think so. Ceasar Chavez was against illegal immigration and said it deflated the value of the legal migrant worker. Even he was against it. Now would he have deported anyone I have no idea, but he wanted to stop it.

It makes sense to follow the laws of the country, no matter your heritage.
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

eddiec said:

No it hasn't the way Trump presented himself onto the main stage was by saying racist crap or did you already forget it or it really doesn't matter anymore to you !

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

eddiec said:

No it hasn't the way Trump presented himself onto the main stage was by saying racist crap or did you already forget it or it really doesn't matter anymore to you !
    BS doesn't see racism, apparently it doesn't exist.
    Trump assumes some Mexicans are good people so he clearly isn't a racist... :dizzy:
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    PJ_Soul said:

You are reasonable to expect that.... I just don't think that would be the case. I think race/racism has a LOT to do with it. If this were 1925, back when people were racist toward the Irish in America, then yeah. But not so much now. The Mexican immigrant thing is a real hot button issue that is being exploited by Trump because of the racism involved IMO.

When it comes to Trump and his supporters, I think you're generally right. I just wanted to throw my two cents in about why it is relevant to use Mexicans as a primary example when discussing illegal immigration and immigration reform. I don't deny that there is a lot of racism around this issue. But I also want to make sure we can discuss illegal immigration as it relates to our southern neighbors without being called out as racists.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,424
    I wonder if Trump followers assume all white people are illegal Canadians
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
    What about those Native Americans? Deport them back to their homeland too.
This discussion has been closed.