• Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    PJ_Soul said:

vaggar99 said:

PJ_Soul said:

JC29856 said:

Apple iPhones soon to say "made in America again"

Hahaha, yeah right.
    8 years ago I was one of those that wanted to see this happen. while i still think, it would be nice. its really not the way to go at this point. iphones are mostly assembled by hand (last i heard). american's really don't do that type of work anymore. our economy has shifted towards one where the American laborer now is more like an operator/maintainer of a sophisticated machine that makes stuff. and that's where we will continue to grow the manufacturing sector.
    Yes, well there is pretty much a huge army of Chinese workers who make these phones, and they aren't well-paid and their hours are long. The factories in which they work, that have as many as 50,000+ workers in just one facility, are notoriously secretive, probably to hide workers' rights abuses. There is no way all that is moving back to America, where people get shorter hours and better pay (rightly so). Not a chance in hell. I don't think the American workforce would even be able to handle the workload even if consumers were interested in yet more expensive iPhones and even if Apple were interested in lower profits, which, of course, they are not.
    Trump is such an idiot, talking about bring jobs like that back to America... I mean an idiot because it's stupid to tell such a huge lie on international television over and over and over again. I don't think for a second he believed his own lies obviously. He loves shipping jobs overseas - he's proven that. He doesn't care about anything besides making money and getting attention.
    i suppose Apple could make machines that do the work that these Chinese laborers do. If the Entitled Sexual Predator is smart, he will probably try to force this move by Apple. Apple has been manufacturing the ultra high Mac Pro in the US for the last few years. These machines start at $3000 and usually end up closer to $5000. They are probably produced on the scale of a few hundred a day. Apple would be wise to come out ahead of Trump on this though
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    JimmyV said:

jeffbr said:

JC29856 said:

JC29856 said:

https://youtu.be/0BSrJv0IpHY

Anything you don't like about those words??

Why don't you put up the link when he was looking for schools for his daughters and then tell us what you think !
    You wearing your safety pin?
    what does this mean?
    Why the asterisks attached to LGBQ and Trans?
    I don't know "officially" but I think it is a wildcard character to cover transsexual, transgender, transvestite, etc...
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,999
    jeffbr said:

JimmyV said:

jeffbr said:

JC29856 said:

JC29856 said:

https://youtu.be/0BSrJv0IpHY

Anything you don't like about those words??

Why don't you put up the link when he was looking for schools for his daughters and then tell us what you think !
    You wearing your safety pin?
    what does this mean?
    Why the asterisks attached to LGBQ and Trans?
    I don't know "officially" but I think it is a wildcard character to cover transsexual, transgender, transvestite, etc...
    Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,762
    edited November 2016
    vaggar99 said:

PJ_Soul said:

vaggar99 said:

PJ_Soul said:

JC29856 said:

Hahaha, yeah right.
    8 years ago I was one of those that wanted to see this happen. while i still think, it would be nice. its really not the way to go at this point. iphones are mostly assembled by hand (last i heard). american's really don't do that type of work anymore. our economy has shifted towards one where the American laborer now is more like an operator/maintainer of a sophisticated machine that makes stuff. and that's where we will continue to grow the manufacturing sector.
    Yes, well there is pretty much a huge army of Chinese workers who make these phones, and they aren't well-paid and their hours are long. The factories in which they work, that have as many as 50,000+ workers in just one facility, are notoriously secretive, probably to hide workers' rights abuses. There is no way all that is moving back to America, where people get shorter hours and better pay (rightly so). Not a chance in hell. I don't think the American workforce would even be able to handle the workload even if consumers were interested in yet more expensive iPhones and even if Apple were interested in lower profits, which, of course, they are not.
    Trump is such an idiot, talking about bring jobs like that back to America... I mean an idiot because it's stupid to tell such a huge lie on international television over and over and over again. I don't think for a second he believed his own lies obviously. He loves shipping jobs overseas - he's proven that. He doesn't care about anything besides making money and getting attention.
    i suppose Apple could make machines that do the work that these Chinese laborers do. If the Entitled Sexual Predator is smart, he will probably try to force this move by Apple. Apple has been manufacturing the ultra high Mac Pro in the US for the last few years. These machines start at $3000 and usually end up closer to $5000. They are probably produced on the scale of a few hundred a day. Apple would be wise to come out ahead of Trump on this though
    If building machines to do the work of the people were cheaper or more efficient, wouldn't Apple have done it already, in China? It's not like China is anti-automation. I assume they are doing what's most efficient and cost-effective overall now.
    How could Trump possibly force such a thing as that? What laws would he be able to invoke to force Apple to move its manufacturing to the US? I mean, the only thing I can think of is that he'd try to offer tax incentives or other kinds of monetary incentives and perhaps logistical incentives ... but has Trump ever suggested doing that? All I ever heard was him babbling about jobs going overseas and how it's bad for American, with absolutely no statements of substance.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,121
    PJ_Soul said:

vaggar99 said:

PJ_Soul said:

vaggar99 said:

PJ_Soul said:

JC29856 said:

Hahaha, yeah right.
    If building machines to do the work of the people were cheaper or more efficient, wouldn't Apple have done it already, in China? It's not like China is anti-automation. I assume they are doing what's most efficient and cost-effective overall now.
    How could Trump possibly force such a thing as that? What laws would he be able to invoke to force Apple to move its manufacturing to the US? I mean, the only thing I can think of is that he'd try to offer tax incentives or other kinds of monetary incentives and perhaps logistical incentives ... but has Trump ever suggested doing that? All I ever heard was him babbling about jobs going overseas and how it's bad for American, with absolutely no statements of substance.
    tariffs on sending jobs out of country, or whatever they are called.

I know in my company, when we have a business that we've contracted that has no canadian presence and we can't prove we couldn't have received the same services from a domestic company, we have to pay a pretty high tax on that. it's like 15% of the cost of the service.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,474
    http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/16/13653490/steve-bannon-trump-presidency-chief-strategist-breitbart-tech-visa
    i thought this guy only dislikes Jews i'll have to put the Orientals on his coluum ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    edited November 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

vaggar99 said:

PJ_Soul said:

vaggar99 said:

PJ_Soul said:

JC29856 said:

Hahaha, yeah right.
    Tax the import of that said product than comes back to the states at a ridiculous amount along with tax break incentives to bring those companies back
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

vaggar99 said:

PJ_Soul said:

vaggar99 said:

PJ_Soul said:

JC29856 said:

Hahaha, yeah right.
    tariffs on sending jobs out of country, or whatever they are called.

I know in my company, when we have a business that we've contracted that has no canadian presence and we can't prove we couldn't have received the same services from a domestic company, we have to pay a pretty high tax on that. it's like 15% of the cost of the service.
    Could tariffs legally be applied retroactively like that? I don't know. I'm sure Trump doesn't either.
    But if they could, I willing to bet that Apple is still saving more by manufacturing in China than the US could reasonably be expected to get out of them through tariffs.... I mean, they'd have to be some pretty insane tariffs, and they'd have to be applied to all the US companies that have already had their manufacturing in other countries for years and years. It would be a big hit on the US economy in and of itself, no? I'm not an economist to say the least, so am just coming up with thoughts about this as I type.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    vaggar99 said:

pjalive21 said:

vaggar99 said:

^^^all fueled by the kumbaya tone of the media after every election. The Entitled Sexual Predator and his disciples never remember when the media helps them

ummm what kumbaya tone? its been all negative since he became president elect

From where I stand, they've normalized a lot of this. I realize they have to be professional, but this crap like having Bannon in the white house is completely bonkers.
    yes, you got people like Dave Chapelle and Oprah even who are afraid to call this guy what he is.
    Or they just don't think he is what you think he is.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

vaggar99 said:

pjalive21 said:

vaggar99 said:

^^^all fueled by the kumbaya tone of the media after every election. The Entitled Sexual Predator and his disciples never remember when the media helps them

From where I stand, they've normalized a lot of this. I realize they have to be professional, but this crap like having Bannon in the white house is completely bonkers.
    yes, you got people like Dave Chapelle and Oprah even who are afraid to call this guy what he is.
    Chapelle certainly thinks so... it's just that he seems to be comparing Trump as president to black slavery and American racism in general. Basically, if it's not as bad as slavery and American racism towards blacks and all that abuse and torture and murder over the centuries, then it's really not that bad, lol.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

vaggar99 said:

pjalive21 said:

vaggar99 said:

Chapelle certainly thinks so... it's just that he seems to be comparing Trump as president to black slavery and American racism in general. Basically, if it's not as bad as slavery and American racism towards blacks and all that abuse and torture and murder over the centuries, then it's really not that bad, lol.
    He also knows that the thought of America going backwards to the times of slavery and/or Jim Crow etc under Trump is complete and utter nonsense. He's laughing at the historical comparison that many of you are making. Laughing.
  • Options
    If this happens it will demonstrate that Trump is taking this shit seriously

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/17/romney-and-trump-to-discuss-secretary-of-state-position-nbc-source-says.html
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

vaggar99 said:

pjalive21 said:

vaggar99 said:

He also knows that the thought of America going backwards to the times of slavery and/or Jim Crow etc under Trump is complete and utter nonsense. He's laughing at the historical comparison that many of you are making. Laughing.
    Who in the fuck said that America is going backwards to the times of slavery or Jim Crow? This is just another version of your Hilter conversation crap. Why do you keep jumping to extremes like that? It's not helpful to a conversation. Like, I don't know who is talking in your head, or what other source you're reading while posting here, but try to stick to what's actually been said here before responding.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,166
    wow....potential for Romney as Sec of State. Maybe Trump isn't holding as many grudges as we thought.

Of course he could just be dangling it in front of Romney to humiliate him but the meeting is supposedly scheduled.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options

wow....potential for Romney as Sec of State. Maybe Trump isn't holding as many grudges as we thought.

Of course he could just be dangling it in front of Romney to humiliate him but the meeting is supposedly scheduled.

Hope he's dusting off his most special pair of magic underwear for that meeting. He's going to need them.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Hope he's dusting off his most special pair of magic underwear for that meeting. He's going to need them.
    I was just listening to the speech where ROmney called Trump a con man and a fraud....awkward!

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,999
    2012: Mitt Romney gleefully accepts Donald Trump's endorsement when he was just a Birther questioning the legitimacy of President Obama, thus legitimizing Trump in Republican politics.

2016: Mitt Romney becomes a Never Trumper after all the build the wall and Muslim registry business. Because you know, that is over the line and Mitt Romney is a man of great character!

2016: Donald Trump is elected President.

2017: Mitt Romney becomes Donald Trump's SoS?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    JimmyV said:

2012: Mitt Romney gleefully accepts Donald Trump's endorsement when he was just a Birther questioning the legitimacy of President Obama, thus legitimizing Trump in Republican politics.

2016: Mitt Romney becomes a Never Trumper after all the build the wall and Muslim registry business. Because you know, that is over the line and Mitt Romney is a man of great character!

Impossible! America voted for these kinds of things to stop happening in government!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

The tolerant left.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

vaggar99 said:

pjalive21 said:

vaggar99 said:

Who in the fuck said that America is going backwards to the times of slavery or Jim Crow? This is just another version of your Hilter conversation crap. Why do you keep jumping to extremes like that? It's not helpful to a conversation. Like, I don't know who is talking in your head, or what other source you're reading while posting here, but try to stick to what's actually been said here before responding.
    It's your Hitler conversation. Either you think Trump is the next Hitler or you don't. There is no middle ground when discussing Hitler and the Nazi party. If you do then own it. If you don't then stop making the comparison. It is laughable. I am laughing.
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

Ah...the GOP

• Options

I've already heard at least four names for SOS, including my governor. Take her, please.
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

vaggar99 said:

PJ_Soul said:

JC29856 said:

Hahaha, yeah right.
    I agree with you somewhat here. I disagree with the notion that an American workforce would be able to handle the workload. I don't know what you do for a living, but I've worked in a few different plants and mills. Non-union employees work their asses off. I'm not sure where you get that notion from.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,739
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

The tolerant left.
    That's actually a joke based on a LDS belief.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

vaggar99 said:

pjalive21 said:

vaggar99 said:

It's your Hitler conversation. Either you think Trump is the next Hitler or you don't. There is no middle ground when discussing Hitler and the Nazi party. If you do then own it. If you don't then stop making the comparison. It is laughable. I am laughing.
    Um, either I think Trump is the next Hitler or I don't? Huh? It is impossible to draw some parallels without going all the way? Okay, obviously if that is how you're looking at everything I said, you REALLY don't get it. You are not using logic or reason. (btw, I am pretty sure no one cares if you're laughing, lol. Everytime you say that I get this picture of a man sitting there in a dirty undershirt, no shower for at least a week, cackling at the computer with your cat staring at you with confusion and a touch of resentment).
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

vaggar99 said:

pjalive21 said:

vaggar99 said:

i don't know what they think. i do know they have a vested interest in not being overly controversial. Especially Opera. Dave has never been an overly political guy, but my guess is that he's not thrilled about this situation.
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:

BS44325 said:

vaggar99 said:

pjalive21 said:

vaggar99 said:

i don't know what they think. i do know they have a vested interest in not being overly controversial. Especially Opera. Dave has never been an overly political guy, but my guess is that he's not thrilled about this situation.
    No need to guess, he basically spilled his guts out about it on Saturday Night Live.
  • Options
    Trump is interviewing South Carolina governor Nikki Haley for a potential Secretary of state job. This transition team has lost its marbles.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options

Trump is interviewing South Carolina governor Nikki Haley for a potential Secretary of state job. This transition team has lost its marbles.

I would take her over Giuliani though.

I did see a video of Haley at the GOP convention where the reporter asked if she was ready to endorse Trump....she said "It's great being here in Cleveland"

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

vaggar99 said:

BS44325 said:

vaggar99 said:

pjalive21 said:

vaggar99 said:

No need to guess, he basically spilled his guts out about it on Saturday Night Live.
    sort of. He still said he's willing to give the ESP a chance. Perhaps a fashionable thing to say, but not a good answer when you consider the type of campaign ESP ran
This discussion has been closed.