Options

Trump

Comments

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

pjalive21 said:

when did I say that changes the perspective of him as a presidential candidate? you guys are so blind its ridiculous that a man can do ONE thing and he cant even be given the kudos for doing so...that's what I despise most about AMT everyone with the same opinion minus a couple people

not once did I say I was voting for the guy...ever, yet im told "go ahead and vote for him"...wow

yet you are all the same exact people who slurped up everything Obama and Sanders was spewing for months...look how that turned out for ya

This is how radlibs act.
    Unless a person thinks and acts exactly the way they want them to the herd is threatened.
    No matter what Trump says or does he will be criticized - even if it is sincere.
    The radlib hate is vile.
    The media has finally found a way recently to slow the momentum of Trump - oh the drama.
    And the radlibs are as happy as pigs in shit.

Pathetic trolling attempt.
    Actually... there's more here than normal. It's quite a good trolling attempt if you ask me.

It's at least as good as that Filipino diver's efforts.
    Serious face,
    Serious face,
    HA!
    Lol! A classic eh?

Like the commentary, "Determined face. Determined face. Things are going completely wrong. Throws his hands in the air. F**k it!"
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,811
    PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

It is a mistake for Obama not to be down there. I don't understand it and can't defend it. This statement has nothing to do with Trump

I guess I just don't see what good some figurehead who draws all the media attention actually helps anything. I suppose I'm not that sympathetic to those who actually care about this kind of shit. What they should be solely concerned about is actual useful aid for themselves and their neighbors, not someone showing up and creating a media storm and kissing some babies and shaking some hands. It's kind of pathetic that such things make any difference to people under such dire circumstances.
    He is our national leader so it's important that he is there in times of trial. Plus the media, at least over last weekend was woefully indifferent to the plight. Obama going would have drawn more attention to the issue and maybe more charity. Where are the concerts, fundraisers, etc to help rebuild? I haven't heard about them.

I just read that he is going next week but he should have been there this week IMO.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,752
    edited August 2016
    mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

It is a mistake for Obama not to be down there. I don't understand it and can't defend it. This statement has nothing to do with Trump

I guess I just don't see what good some figurehead who draws all the media attention actually helps anything. I suppose I'm not that sympathetic to those who actually care about this kind of shit. What they should be solely concerned about is actual useful aid for themselves and their neighbors, not someone showing up and creating a media storm and kissing some babies and shaking some hands. It's kind of pathetic that such things make any difference to people under such dire circumstances.
    He is our national leader so it's important that he is there in times of trial. Plus the media, at least over last weekend was woefully indifferent to the plight. Obama going would have drawn more attention to the issue and maybe more charity. Where are the concerts, fundraisers, etc to help rebuild? I haven't heard about them.

I just read that he is going next week but he should have been there this week IMO.
    Why do you think Obama going would do any of those things? Do you have any example of where just him or any president showing up at a disaster zone had that kind of impact? Looks good on paper, but I don't think those are real life results. The bigger issue for me, though, is that Trump is actually being praised for showing up as though he really gives a shit and isn't using these people for his own gain. I think it's rather despicable that he went there, but some I guess are big pushovers.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    pjalive21 said:

Not a Trump fan but what he did for Louisiana today made Obama look like a fool...enough to criticize him on but he became the leader Obama and Clinton could not

Actually, it was a desperate attempt to salvage what has become a failing campaign. If you think trump gives one fuck about the people of Louisiana, you're extremely naive.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

pjalive21 said:

PJ_Soul said:

:rofl: Trump is good for morale? An insincere asshole who is capitalizing on the suffering of others is a morale boost? Okay then!

Have you seen the video? People thanking him for being there for them...Hate the man all you want for his buffoonery and everything else, but he showed up

What I see is a man taking advantage of emotionally vulnerable people.
    This.

Geezuz. Is that all it takes to be annointed a great leader? Kiss some babies? Shake some hands (rushing on to your jet afterwards to access the hand sanitizer)?

Wow.
    Didn't you hear? Hes the head of the Republican party now.
  • Options
    pjalive21 said:

when did I say that changes the perspective of him as a presidential candidate? you guys are so blind its ridiculous that a man can do ONE thing and he cant even be given the kudos for doing so...that's what I despise most about AMT everyone with the same opinion minus a couple people

not once did I say I was voting for the guy...ever, yet im told "go ahead and vote for him"...wow

yet you are all the same exact people who slurped up everything Obama and Sanders was spewing for months...look how that turned out for ya

How did it turn out? What's the problem?
  • Options

pjalive21 said:

How did it turn out? What's the problem?
    Good question.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited August 2016

pjalive21 said:

This is how radlibs act.
    Unless a person thinks and acts exactly the way they want them to the herd is threatened.
    No matter what Trump says or does he will be criticized - even if it is sincere.
    The radlib hate is vile.
    The media has finally found a way recently to slow the momentum of Trump - oh the drama.

Coming from a guy whos clearly demonstrated his lack of understanding of American politics.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,811
    PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

Why do you think Obama going would do any of those things? Do you have any example of where just him or any president showing up at a disaster zone had that kind of impact? Looks good on paper, but I don't think those are real life results. The bigger issue for me, though, is that Trump is actually being praised for showing up as though he really gives a shit and isn't using these people for his own gain. I think it's rather despicable that he went there, but some I guess are big pushovers.
    There is nothing that can be proved or disproved when someone shows, or when they don't. I don't think there is any empirical evidence that it does or does not make a difference. However, both Hillary and Obama should have been more politically astute and closed that opening. They both should have been in LA early this week, together. So regardless of whether you think it makes a humanitarian difference, it makes a political one. Trump,spent the weekend tweeting about himself and never once mentioned the flood. It was an opportunity to further widen the 'presidential' gap between Trump and the Democratic team, but they missed it.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

There is nothing that can be proved or disproved when someone shows, or when they don't. I don't think there is any empirical evidence that it does or does not make a difference. However, both Hillary and Obama should have been more politically astute and closed that opening. They both should have been in LA early this week, together. So regardless of whether you think it makes a humanitarian difference, it makes a political one. Trump,spent the weekend tweeting about himself and never once mentioned the flood. It was an opportunity to further widen the 'presidential' gap between Trump and the Democratic team, but they missed it.
    Hm. Well, I see that kind of thing as insincere at best, and it sets a difficult precedent as well, i.e. if they show up at one they have to show up at all of them, which is impossible, unless we want our federal leaders to become goodwill ambassadors for natural disasters. I personally think their time is better spent elsewhere and working to ensure proper aid for victims, which can't actually be done on the ground in a disaster area. But I understand what you are saying.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

You are completely right about Hillary and Obama not being politically astute here. I wasn't thinking along those lines. I maintain that presidents should stay away from these sorts of disasters because all they do is fuck up logistics of anyone trying to navigate through these areas. I hate it when a president comes to visit my city. It always pisses me off, since they can do absolutely nothing tangible and it is strictly for show. But if we're only talking about outward appearances, then Trump seemed to have one-upped both the front runner and the sitting president, both of whom should be infinitely more politically astute than Trump.

Obama probably should have stepped off the links, changed out of his golf shirt and addressed the residents of LA on national TV right away, letting them know that he is with them in spirit and is mobilizing all available resources to help. But I don't think he should have cancelled his vacation, dropped everything, and jumped on Air Force One.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    Not sure anyone should be using Trump as a measuring stick when making their decisions though. I see no reason for Clinton or Obama to be making decisions about outward appearances by comparing themselves to what Trump's up to, seriously. I mean, if TRUMP can win an election by using and taking advantage of American citizens who are going through the worst time of their entire lives, and if him doing that can determine the actions of the POTUS, then maybe America really is beyond hope.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    I certainly don't use Trump as a measuring stick for anything positive! I was just referring to MRussel's observations of political expediency. No real, tangible relief can come from any political stunt like Trump's visit to LA. But unfortunately, many people are far more emotional than rational, and will use this against Obama and/or Hillary. Perhaps America really is beyond hope. I know I don't have the same degree of hope and positivity for our future that I did when I was younger. Maybe because I see that superficial bullshit seems to be more impactful than real action. I think the point is, if you are playing the game of politics (and it is just a big fucking numbers game, afterall), you better play it the best way you can and neither Hillary nor Obama did that in this case.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    Trump is pounding pavement.
    A lost skill.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,947

Trump is pounding pavement.
    A lost skill.

He's looking for a job, no doubt.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    Here’s why President Obama isn’t stopping his vacation to visit the Louisiana flooding

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/08/18/heres-why-president-obama-isnt-stopping-his-vacation-to-visit-the-louisiana-flooding/

However, Trump’s decision to tour the flood-ravaged areas was met with harsh words from the Democratic governor of Louisiana, John Bel Edwards.

“We welcome him to LA, but not for a photo-op,” said his spokesman Richard Carbo in a statement. “Instead, we hope he’ll consider volunteering or making a sizable donation to the LA Flood Relief Fund to help the victims of this storm. “

Edwards says he won’t be involved in Trump’s visit, and while he said in an interview Thursday that the president is “welcome to visit,” he’d prefer that the president wait.

“In all honesty, if he’s going to visit, I would just as soon it be a week or 10 days or 14 days from now,” Edwards told MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow. He went on to talk about the resources that are tied up for such a visit, referring to Joe Biden’s recent trip to Louisiana a few weeks ago.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-visits-flood-ravaged-louisiana/
  • Options

pjalive21 said:

This is how radlibs act.
    The radlib hate is vile.

Coming from a guy whos clearly demonstrated his lack of understanding of American politics.
    I just comment on things perpetuated from Americans.
    Like this http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/obama-lied-openly-and-blatantly-about-cash-payment-to-iran-trump-says-1.3035464
    I suppose Trump is lying also right?
  • Options
    rtmarshrtmarsh Northeast Posts: 59

^^^
    See
    You are angry and will not even or ever acknowledge Trump reaching out to make amends.

Dude after all the crap he's spewed now his a changed man sorry bud I ain't buying it ! I'm not angry it's absurd that after one decent act people are expected to say oh ok his changed forget about the last year of him acting like a fool ! You can
    We are an ADHD nation so we too easily forget what happened yesterday with hopes that tomorrow will be different. Unfortunately, Critical thinking does not prevail.
    “The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.”
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    jeffbr said:

I certainly don't use Trump as a measuring stick for anything positive! I was just referring to MRussel's observations of political expediency. No real, tangible relief can come from any political stunt like Trump's visit to LA. But unfortunately, many people are far more emotional than rational, and will use this against Obama and/or Hillary. Perhaps America really is beyond hope. I know I don't have the same degree of hope and positivity for our future that I did when I was younger. Maybe because I see that superficial bullshit seems to be more impactful than real action. I think the point is, if you are playing the game of politics (and it is just a big fucking numbers game, afterall), you better play it the best way you can and neither Hillary nor Obama did that in this case.

You bring up the good point of emotion in this election. I feel like people are much more emotional about this election compared to usual, and that is definitely not a good thing right now.
    I also feel much less positive about the future than I used to (about the world in general, not just the US), though that is mostly to do with the death grip that corporations have on us all... which leads back to politics and money/greed.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    rtmarsh said:

^^^
    See
    You are angry and will not even or ever acknowledge Trump reaching out to make amends.

Dude after all the crap he's spewed now his a changed man sorry bud I ain't buying it ! I'm not angry it's absurd that after one decent act people are expected to say oh ok his changed forget about the last year of him acting like a fool ! You can
    We are an ADHD nation so we too easily forget what happened yesterday with hopes that tomorrow will be different. Unfortunately, Critical thinking does not prevail.
    Not entirely true. Partisan racism excuses Trump because he's not black and democrat.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,590

rtmarsh said:

^^^
    See

Not entirely true. Partisan racism excuses Trump because he's not black and democrat.
    And drumpf isn't even white.
    He gets 100% of the orange vote
  • Options

rtmarsh said:

^^^
    See

So Florida is his?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

rtmarsh said:

^^^
    See

So Florida is his?
    With all the immigrants in Florida definitely

And I'm referring to all the immigrants from NY/NJ and canadia
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Was told he really is no good
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    Anyone who thinks Trump isn't doing this for publicity, I got a Hollywood sign 50 miles west of me to sell you.
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    And she also has a sign which is dead meat as well.....!!!
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,947

Anyone who thinks Trump isn't doing this for publicity, I got a Hollywood sign 50 miles west of me to sell you.

:lol:

And, yes, Bingo!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    In Chicago for the 2 shows at Wrigley this weekend. Was walking along the Chicago river and noticed all the empty retail space at the drumpf tower......

Trump's Chicago real estate flop

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/sweet-trump-touts-biz-record-but-tower-retail-space-still-empty/
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    pjalive21 said:

Not a Trump fan but what he did for Louisiana today made Obama look like a fool...enough to criticize him on but he became the leader Obama and Clinton could not

The Governor specifically asked him not to come, just to send money if he wanted to help.

Precious resources are diverted from where they are needed in rescue and relief efforts when big-time officials visit disaster areas for photo-ops.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 9,003
    As far as I'm concerned, POTUS' job is not limited to political efforts, but also socioeconomic ones. Given Obama's campaign slogan simply was "Hope" (a purposefully broad slogan whose reach goes far beyond political reform), think about the hope that could have come from a visit. A cheerleader doesn't directly impact the outcome of a sports game, yet their presence is to inspire support. A visit from Obama would have been reassurance of impending support, from what appears to be a fairly silent country at the moment. That's not to say showing up is enough: working to resolve the issue would have been the next challenge. In the absence of the visit, resolving the situation is now the necessary action.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
This discussion has been closed.