Trump

Comments

• Hillary is getting angry.

You gotta love your spirit.

These national level elections always see you getting right in the corner of the idiot underdog... even in the face of inevitability (remember your passion for Harper who got completely thundered by a knowing nation?).

Watching Trump implode is awesome. Hillary should just never say another thing and she would most certainly win by a landslide.

Watching faithful party allegiance is mind numbing. Can there really be that level of ignorance in the US?
    I think there really is a huge level of ignorance in the US yes.

As for the underdog? Someone has to be it.
    Or maybe it's my sour grapes still coming trudea through.
    Lol.

Sour? You? Nooo.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • And as for the ignorance thing... I hope you are wrong, man.

Or things will be really interesting the next decade or so.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,308

mrussel1 said:

The legacy of Russian patronage in the Ukraine..

mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

^^^
    I don't care about the annexation of Ukrain as it is only spoken/used to make a political gain just like Brexit.

As for the history of holodomor?
    That is why Trump said others are there not him.
    He can't make a move until he is in power.
    So until then the Russians have to assuage his rise to power.
    Relent? Ha.

The attitude you display over these serious issues is that of a neophyte. You pick out random quotes in the articles rather than having a serious discussion on the issue. It's over your head and that's fine. Hopefully BS will comment.
    I'm commenting on the quotes in the articles you post.
    What am I not reading?
    Why are you commenting on quotes you are pulling out? I'm asking about the broader issue. How can you say you don't care about Uke annexation and how in the world are you comparing it to Brexit. What is the correlation?

Second, explain your comment on Holodomor, please.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ilaria-parogni-/misunderstanding-crimea-west-russia_b_7073322.html
    When a recent poll by German polling firm GfK confirmed Crimea’s positive sentiment towards Russia, journalist Andrea Chalupa rejected the results, proclaiming that Crimeans “now live under a gun.” By forcing a narrative of Russian aggression over Crimea, however, the West holds onto its own powerful weapon, and is not afraid to pull the trigger. The bullets might not be lethal, but they hurt any genuine attempt to fully understand Crimea.

Brexit yes voters are now on their own because they see through the facade.

As for Holodomor, Trump will not meddle with tampering human rights.

He broke international law and what he did is actually worse than what Hitler did with the Sudetenland.

And now our GOP candidate who, before today didn't know the Russians took Crimea, is cozying up with the dictator that did this. Oh yeah... and his 'rebels' also shot down a Dutch civilian airliner with Russian weapons. Remember that??
    Hitler reference again - not listening.

You are correct your GOP as chosen by your country.
    Dum dee dum is the song he sings as he skips to the whitehouse.
    Shooting down a plane is common in the headlines when the Russian card is played.
    Oh yeah? Are you tired of people comparing Putin's moves to Hitlers? Must be killing you.

I like how glib you are with the downing of an airline. Educate yourself on what is really happening. http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2015/10/13/dutch-investigators-russian-missile-shot-down-malaysian-airlines-flight-mh-17
  • ^^^
    Hitler is a no go for any argument. Educate yourself on that fact please.

So again I state that a plane getting shot down involving Russians is common in the US media.

^^^

So again I state that a plane getting shot down involving Russians is common in the US media.

Ah, says who? We aren't talking about genocide, we are talking about expansionism. The correlations are clear and at least Hitler negotiated it vs. Putin's nakedly aggressive move. Notice I didn't compare it to Poland. Educate yourself in history please.

Second, please explain that last statement. Are you saying that you don't believe a Russian weapon was used?

• mrussel1 said:

^^^

Ah, says who? We aren't talking about genocide, we are talking about expansionism. The correlations are clear and at least Hitler negotiated it vs. Putin's nakedly aggressive move. Notice I didn't compare it to Poland. Educate yourself in history please.
    Second, please explain that last statement. Are you saying that you don't believe a Russian weapon was used?
    All I know is that Hitler bad.

Second I have a great picture that clearly shows that a Russian weapon was not used but I can't display it.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    remember when the U.S. boycotted the Moscow Olympics because of the Russian invasion of Afghanistan? And then the Russians boycotted LA in 1984... but it wasn't because of the U.S. boycott 4 years previously.. ;). aaah good times good times.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

mrussel1 said:

^^^

Second I have a great picture that clearly shows that a Russian weapon was not used but I can't display it.
    Sure you do. Again, way to be glib about 298 deaths.

I could compare Putin to Stalin for you? Would that make you feel better about his friendship with Trump? I just figured most people know Hitlers strategic moves better than Stalin's.

remember when the U.S. boycotted the Moscow Olympics because of the Russian invasion of Afghanistan? And then the Russians boycotted LA in 1984... but it wasn't because of the U.S. boycott 4 years previously.. ;). aaah good times good times.

Sarcasm?
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    mrussel1 said:

Sarcasm?
    my heart is heavy with it. ;)

hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    edited August 2016
    mrussel1 said:

^^^

An American telling a Canadian to educate himself on history is the equivalent of American telling us to get a geography lesson, oh yeah, I forgot the US won WW2 on its own...silly of me.
    Post edited by lukin2006 on
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    To paraphrase Trump "he stated" in talking about his dustup with that Khan dude "he criticized me at DNC, am I not allowed to respond, Hillary voted for the Iraq war, not me". It appears that Khan fellow should not be so supportive of war mongering democrats or republicans. Carry on.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

edited August 2016
    brianlux said:

For anyone who is actively thinking about voting for drumpf.....I would hope thay behavior such as this would help you to rethink your decision.

Trump again defends criticism of parents of Muslim soldier
    http://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2016-07-31/bipartisan-backlash-for-trump-after-questioning-khan-family

Are there such people? Hard to fathom!

There are ... the last 16 years definitely proved that ... and I'll stop at 16 years.
    Post edited by lukin2006 on

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,555
    lukin2006 said:

brianlux said:

For anyone who is actively thinking about voting for drumpf.....I would hope thay behavior such as this would help you to rethink your decision.

http://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2016-07-31/bipartisan-backlash-for-trump-after-questioning-khan-family

There are ... the last 16 years definitely proved that ... and I'll stop at 16 years.
    I hope millennials and their kids will change that. My generation failed.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,394

mrussel1 said:

^^^

Hitler bad! Trump good!

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/07/31/trump-versus-hitler-are-we-better-than-weimar-germany.html
    www.myspace.com
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    "Trump has a black soul"
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    mrussel1 said:

^^^
    I don't care about the annexation of Ukrain as it is only spoken/used to make a political gain just like Brexit.

As for the history of holodomor?
    That is why Trump said others are there not him.
    He can't make a move until he is in power.
    So until then the Russians have to assuage his rise to power.
    Relent? Ha.

The attitude you display over these serious issues is that of a neophyte. You pick out random quotes in the articles rather than having a serious discussion on the issue. It's over your head and that's fine. Hopefully BS will comment.
    Please don't make me.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    lukin2006 said:

mrussel1 said:

^^^

An American telling a Canadian to educate himself on history is the equivalent of American telling us to get a geography lesson, oh yeah, I forgot the US won WW2 on its own...silly of me.
    Your statement is suggesting that every Canadian knows more world history and geography than any American.
    That's pretty ignorant.
    You aren't speaking to a Trump supporting, two-tooth, rebel flag waving yokel from 'sippi... Mrussel1 is an educated, informed intellectual who happens to have a close personal tie to European aggression and WW2 fallout, and would surely smoke YOU on the history of the subject. The poster he was replying to is clearly out of his/her depth on the issue, as evidenced by the lack of critical discussion.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    lukin2006 said:

mrussel1 said:

^^^

What does this have anything to do with anything? Anyone that studies history knows the Canadian contributions at Juno, Italy and almost every significant theater. This statement was a non-sequitur.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,858
    John Weaver @JWGOP
    Trump's slur against Captain Khan's mother is, even for him, beyond the pale. He has NO redeeming qualities.
    10:18 PM - 30 Jul 2016 · Austin, TX, United States
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,394
    Nice statement by John McCain this morning. I wonder if Trump will rip him for being a POW again.

www.myspace.com
    rgambs said:

lukin2006 said:

mrussel1 said:

^^^

Your statement is suggesting that every Canadian knows more world history and geography than any American.
    That's pretty ignorant.
    You aren't speaking to a Trump supporting, two-tooth, rebel flag waving yokel from 'sippi... Mrussel1 is an educated, informed intellectual who happens to have a close personal tie to European aggression and WW2 fallout, and would surely smoke YOU on the history of the subject. The poster he was replying to is clearly out of his/her depth on the issue, as evidenced by the lack of critical discussion.
    This isn't an American vs Canadian thing. MRussel1's analysis of the subject has been spot on. I couldn't give a rats ass about the "khan" situation, which is another topic altogether, but nothing drove me crazier yesterday then when Trump said "Russia isn't going into the Ukraine". Russia is already there you fuckhead!! It is stupid shit like this that makes it very hard for me to like Trump. Sure it's possible that he's using these statements for some future grand strategy on foreign policy in a Trump administration (I actually see a play here which I would be happy to discuss in another post) but my gut still tells me that he's just making up shit as he goes along. The problem with this of course is Putin uses these statements for domestic consumption which then bolsters his aggressive actions. If there is no Trump grand strategy underneath these words then the words themselves become extremely dangerous and I completely understand why the foreign policy establishment would look on horrified.

All this said...and before any Trump hater pats him/herself on the back for being on the right side of this issue...I also need to note that the only thing that drives me crazier then Trump's statements on Russia is the Democrats new found hawkishness on the same subject after a complete abdication of responsibility on Russia since 2008. MRussel1 has done a proper breakdown of the history but he has left out where the two parties have been on this in the last 8 years.

During the 2008 campaign Putin pushed into parts of Georgia and took South Ossetia. McCain and Palin spoke very hawkishly on this and were criticized as warmongers for doing so. Palin we all remember was made out to be an idiot with her comments on Russia but she was far more prescient on Putin's intentions then even the oh so wise foreign policy establishemnt. When Obama took power he treated Medvedev/Putin with kid gloves and Clinton began the Russian reset. This reset included the cancelling of a missle shield in Poland which was scene as America turning it's back on a NATO ally. Palin (the idiot) vocally warned that failing to confront Putin would result in the invasion of Ukraine next but again the establishment and the left laughed at the moronic war wonger. The celebrated reset overtime proved to be an absolute disaster as Putin continued to turn anti-democratic and pushed to reassert Russian influence on it's border, the middle east, and south america. As the 2012 election rolled around Romney began to speak hawkishly on this subject while Obama was promising Medvedev "more flexibility" and Clinton was approving Russian takeovers of US Uranium. When the 2012 debates came Romney called Russia the number one geo-political foe and Obama said "The 1980's called and they want their foreign policy back". The democrats just laughed...oh snap...and ran a commercial of that over and over again. When the invasion of Ukraine happened with Putin's little green men NATO and the US were caught completely flat footed and since then the US has been obstructed by Putin globally at every turn including in Syria. These are all absolute facts so to all of a sudden see the Democratic party turn into hawks on Russia when all they have done is enable them through weakness for the last 8 years completely blows my mind. The Obama/Clinton foreign policy completely failed to check Putin in any way whatsoever and now they want to act as the defenders of NATO? The Clinton Foundation took a ton of kickbacks on the sale of Uranium to Russia and yet the Clintons are going to accuse Trump of being the Manchurian Candidate? I have a ton of problems with Tump on this...believe me, believe me....but I refuse to allow the Democrats to covince me that they are the defenders of the west in the face of Russian aggresion. They not only failed for 8 years but they demonized those who advocted for action. Sure I welcome them to the party now...better late then never I guess...but nobody should forget just how bad the Obama administration has been on this issue. This is their legacy and not Trump's.
    ^^ This is all true. I would argue...not passionately... that the administration was hopeful that the expansionist posture of Russia would cease with Putin out of the picture, hence the "Reset". Unfortunately, he wormed his way right back into the seat of power pretty quickly. McCain was right about Russia and Obama was naive. But since about 2011 or so, that naive foreign policy ended and the US has spent far more time trying to check the Russians, Clinton in particular at the end of her tenure as SOS. There's a reason Putin hates Clinton so passionately, and it has to do with her statements on election tampering and the Ukraine crisis.

For today, I'm really not sure if Trump is a doofus, a patsy, a victim to his campaign's ties to Russian businesses, or if there is serious money for him to make in Russia and this strategy is for his family's financial benefit.
    brianlux said:

lukin2006 said:

brianlux said:

I hope millennials and their kids will change that. My generation failed.
    They won't Bryan ... your system as well my system is corrupted so only the elite are involved in politics at the highest levels making poor decisions for us all.

mrussel1 said:

lukin2006 said:

mrussel1 said:

^^^

What does this have anything to do with anything? Anyone that studies history knows the Canadian contributions at Juno, Italy and almost every significant theater. This statement was a non-sequitur.
    Then you know full well critisizing Putin makes all of you seem ignorant ... your country is just as evil as Russia, why can't you see that ... what scares you about Russia? Russia returning as super power is needed, the worlds balance of power needs to restored ever since the fall of communism the states has bullied whoever the hell they want...been involved in 2 gulf wars, dragged other countries kicking and screaming into the war in Afghanistan. And last but finally who gives a rats ass whether Obama was the first African American president or whether Clinton would be the first woman president ... elect a First Nations president, that'd be an accomplishment, oh that's right you're wonderful democrats and crooked republicans set the system up so First Nations people's have little to no say in the running of their country, their lands.

• DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    lukin2006 said:

mrussel1 said:

lukin2006 said:

mrussel1 said:

^^^

Then you know full well critisizing Putin makes all of you seem ignorant ... your country is just as evil as Russia, why can't you see that ... what scares you about Russia? Russia returning as super power is needed, the worlds balance of power needs to restored ever since the fall of communism the states has bullied whoever the hell they want...been involved in 2 gulf wars, dragged other countries kicking and screaming into the war in Afghanistan. And last but finally who gives a rats ass whether Obama was the first African American president or whether Clinton would be the first woman president ... elect a First Nations president, that'd be an accomplishment, oh that's right you're wonderful democrats and crooked republicans set the system up so First Nations people's have little to no say in the running of their country, their lands.
    What? So electing a black president is no big deal, but an Indian would be a triumph of humanity? And what country did we force into Afghanistan? I think you may be a bit confused.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
    lukin2006 said:

mrussel1 said:

lukin2006 said:

mrussel1 said:

^^^

I'm not going to defend the atrocities that took place when Europeans arrived in this land. They weren't my ancestors. My ancestors were victims of Stalin's purge and my father and his siblings came to this country to escape the evil Soviet empire in the 30's. To compare the Soviets in the 20th century to the Americans is preposterous. There is no equivalent of the gulags, Holodomor, the crackdowns on Poland and other Eastern Block countries. The Soviets operated on a scale that was only fractionally below the Nazi's in ruthlessness, if at all. And the current Russia led by a KGB Colonel, is seeking to restore that empire. Glad you are happy to see them rise, but no fucking thanks.
    mrussel1 said:

^^ This is all true. I would argue...not passionately... that the administration was hopeful that the expansionist posture of Russia would cease with Putin out of the picture, hence the "Reset". Unfortunately, he wormed his way right back into the seat of power pretty quickly. McCain was right about Russia and Obama was naive. But since about 2011 or so, that naive foreign policy ended and the US has spent far more time trying to check the Russians, Clinton in particular at the end of her tenure as SOS. There's a reason Putin hates Clinton so passionately, and it has to do with her statements on election tampering and the Ukraine crisis.

For today, I'm really not sure if Trump is a doofus, a patsy, a victim to his campaign's ties to Russian businesses, or if there is serious money for him to make in Russia and this strategy is for his family's financial benefit.

There has been an increased effort of late to check Russia but not since 2011. It has only really begun in the last couple of years. Right about when Ash Carter became Sec Def.

With respect to Trump I'm going with "doofus" along with slight possibility that he is putting himself in good position to govern should he become President. I have a theory but it requires a belief that he is waaay smarter then I might be willing to give him credit for.

Hear me out:
    1) To win the general he has to run to the left of Hillary. Republicans have tried McCain, tried Romney and at the electoral college level they pretty much hit a wall. Trump's theory is that he runs to left on trade, foreign policy, etc knowing that he wouldn't get decent numbers from minorities anyways. If "moderate establishment" republicans couldn't get those numbers then why even bother? It's a huge gamble but he certainly has put himself in position to make it happen.

2) Let's say he actually wins. You now have a certain part of the foreign policy establishment and foreign leaders who think he is crazy and/or unfit. Afterall the democrats are saying "we can't let this guy have the nuclear codes!". Well in conduction of foreign policy it always helps if your enemy thinks you might be nuts. Like it or not Obama is seen as weak. Trump is right that foreign leaders do not respect him. Justin Trudeau might but leaders who matter...like Putin...do not. Trump can now use his tough guy/he might be crazy card to his advantage as enemies are unsure how he will react. His red lines might mean something.

3) On russia specifically: The democrats are now on paper saying that Putin is a threat. Finally! After all these years! The republicans have always been there so this crazy situation has actually unified the country on a point of foreign policy! Do you know how long conservatives have waited for the left to consider Russia an adversary?! We're talking 100 years! This accidental union of thought will allow the next President to take a tougher stand with bipartisan support.

4) A real re-set? I am still going with the "doofus" theory you put forward but Trump's statement "wouldn't it be nice if Russia and the US actually have good relations?" is not altogether a terrible one. Provided Putin understands what Trump's redlines actually are and that Trump might act irrationally should those lines be crossed maybe there is room for some type of real detente that prevents further strife. Personally I don't trust Putin but something like that scenerio is not so far fetched.

Again all of this put's a real assumption on the fact that maybe Trump is some kind of mad genius. Certainly far fetched but not impossible. I for one never thought he would get past the escelator but here we are.
    WTF just happened to the colors on the site?

I can agree with all your points. Point 1 is particularly true that the GOP has hit a blue wall for a few elections now, and with VA gradually going more and more blue, it creates an electoral nightmare. I don't know if he his OH, PA, strategy is left or right... it's just populist. I haven't done the math lately but I believe he pretty much needs PA, OH and FL to win, considering VA is pretty locked down with TK on the ticket. This is presuming he holds all of the Romney states of course.

Maybe he's a mad genius, but his inability to handle the Khan situation is not indicative of a man with those types of political smarts. Whatever your crazy ass plan might be, disparaging Gold Star mothers should not be a part of it.

• BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

There has been an increased effort of late to check Russia but not since 2011. It has only really begun in the last couple of years. Right about when Ash Carter became Sec Def.

With respect to Trump I'm going with "doofus" along with slight possibility that he is putting himself in good position to govern should he become President. I have a theory but it requires a belief that he is waaay smarter then I might be willing to give him credit for.

Hear me out:
    1) To win the general he has to run to the left of Hillary. Republicans have tried McCain, tried Romney and at the electoral college level they pretty much hit a wall. Trump's theory is that he runs to left on trade, foreign policy, etc knowing that he wouldn't get decent numbers from minorities anyways. If "moderate establishment" republicans couldn't get those numbers then why even bother? It's a huge gamble but he certainly has put himself in position to make it happen.

2) Let's say he actually wins. You now have a certain part of the foreign policy establishment and foreign leaders who think he is crazy and/or unfit. Afterall the democrats are saying "we can't let this guy have the nuclear codes!". Well in conduction of foreign policy it always helps if your enemy thinks you might be nuts. Like it or not Obama is seen as weak. Trump is right that foreign leaders do not respect him. Justin Trudeau might but leaders who matter...like Putin...do not. Trump can now use his tough guy/he might be crazy card to his advantage as enemies are unsure how he will react. His red lines might mean something.

3) On russia specifically: The democrats are now on paper saying that Putin is a threat. Finally! After all these years! The republicans have always been there so this crazy situation has actually unified the country on a point of foreign policy! Do you know how long conservatives have waited for the left to consider Russia an adversary?! We're talking 100 years! This accidental union of thought will allow the next President to take a tougher stand with bipartisan support.

4) A real re-set? I am still going with the "doofus" theory you put forward but Trump's statement "wouldn't it be nice if Russia and the US actually have good relations?" is not altogether a terrible one. Provided Putin understands what Trump's redlines actually are and that Trump might act irrationally should those lines be crossed maybe there is room for some type of real detente that prevents further strife. Personally I don't trust Putin but something like that scenerio is not so far fetched.

Again all of this put's a real assumption on the fact that maybe Trump is some kind of mad genius. Certainly far fetched but not impossible. I for one never thought he would get past the escelator but here we are.
    This is kind of a 'glass half full' outlook in the event Trump pulls the election off.
This discussion has been closed.