Options

Trump

Comments

• Options
    mattsl1983mattsl1983 Posts: 711
    rgambs said:

No, enlighten me on why we should bash everything the GOP does. Exactly. You don't know why. You are about to google some things, but your immediate reaction has no value. Go to the Hillary page, where you none thinkers belong!

I don't need Google to show me how inept this campaign is, and how scary the scapegoating of minorities and immigrants is becoming.
    How so? And aside from that, only one of the candidates is currently under federal investigation. why would I want to support someone in that situation? It's dumb. How hard is it not to go under federal investigation? Seriously??? That's your racehorse??
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,642

Why even spend your time to argue here? Like seriously, is it that maybe the ideologies that you've bought into haven't been working, and instead of admitting that maybe it's time for a different aproach, you staunchly hold on and justify your existence by confronting people that disagree with you? Like seriously??? Why are you even on this page??? Get over yourself!

The last 8 years have been pretty pretty phenomenal for me...
  • Options

Why even spend your time to argue here? Like seriously, is it that maybe the ideologies that you've bought into haven't been working, and instead of admitting that maybe it's time for a different aproach, you staunchly hold on and justify your existence by confronting people that disagree with you? Like seriously??? Why are you even on this page??? Get over yourself!

How so? Let's be honest. Your economic situation before, after? Please, I'm seriously looking to hear from those that have benefited, and how so?
  • Options
    I'll be the ice breaker, I paid 52k in taxes last year. Not including property tax.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

How so? Let's be honest. Your economic situation before, after? Please, I'm seriously looking to hear from those that have benefited, and how so?
    While much of it has to do with simple career progression, my income has increased by well over 100% since 2008. Largely stagnant from 2008-2010. Much bigger jumps in the last 6 years. Taxes have remained relatively consistent, though I am on the verge of jumping up (which I am perfectly fine with).

• Options

While much of it has to do with simple career progression, my income has increased by well over 100% since 2008. Largely stagnant from 2008-2010. Much bigger jumps in the last 6 years. Taxes have remained relatively consistent, though I am on the verge of jumping up (which I am perfectly fine with).

So again, please elaborate how your growth has been phenomenal over the past eight years?
  • Options

So again, please elaborate how your growth has been phenomenal over the past eight years?
    Income increasing by well over 100% over an 8 year period is not a good thing?
  • Options
    Let us know how you are prospering? Is it raise in minimum wage? Is it cut tax's, what is it? What's your secret??
  • Options
    Listen, I get why a lot of old white folks in the middle of the country are angry and feel like America is passing them by. Quite frankly, it is. America is never going to be "great" again in the sense they are talking about. We are never going to have coal, oil and manufacturing jobs like we once did. Trump is not going to bring us back there. Paul Ryan is not going to bring us back there. No one is. That time is over. We live in a significantly different world and unless we want the cost of our goods to triple, we can't expect this country to build things like we once did.

The next generation of skilled works are going to be in infrastructure, healthcare, clean energy, and manufacturing in advanced technology that can't be outsourced.

It can't be an easy time for these folks, I get it, but things aren't going back to the way they were.
  • Options

Listen, I get why a lot of old white folks in the middle of the country are angry and feel like America is passing them by. Quite frankly, it is. America is never going to be "great" again in the sense they are talking about. We are never going to have coal, oil and manufacturing jobs like we once did. Trump is not going to bring us back there. Paul Ryan is not going to bring us back there. No one is. That time is over. We live in a significantly different world and unless we want the cost of our goods to triple, we can't expect this country to build things like we once did.

The next generation of skilled works are going to be in infrastructure, healthcare, clean energy, and manufacturing in advanced technology that can't be outsourced.

It can't be an easy time for these folks, I get it, but things aren't going back to the way they were.

What?? Seriously what?? Again you didn't answer my question to your bold statement, but what are you talking about? Are you educated? Do you know how the economy works? What??
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123

Calm down skippy Nobody is caught up on the plagiarism. It happened, they got caught. It will not determine the outcome of the election. It's just another example of trumps inexperience and shows how inept he would be as preisident.

As opposed to voting for someone who had been under federal investigation? I'd rather go with suspected speach plagiarism, at least that doesn't land a federal investigation, skippy
    You mean the 8 committees that found Clinton wasn't at fault for benghazi? Or the horrific email scandal that just ended? Keep trying.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options

I was making $16/hour in 2007. Now, I am almost doubled that. So yea, the last 8 years have been good for me too. And guess what, im in the dreaded coal burning industry.
  • Options

Calm down skippy Nobody is caught up on the plagiarism. It happened, they got caught. It will not determine the outcome of the election. It's just another example of trumps inexperience and shows how inept he would be as preisident.

As opposed to voting for someone who had been under federal investigation? I'd rather go with suspected speach plagiarism, at least that doesn't land a federal investigation, skippy
    You mean the 8 committees that found Clinton wasn't at fault for benghazi? Or the horrific email scandal that just ended? Keep trying.
    The fact that she's been under federal investigation? Oj Simpson was found innocent, so unless you believe that, don't pretend Hilary is spotless. But the bigger thing to me, Is how? How do you end up being so terrible at being Secretary of State you get investigated for multiple things??? Are that fucking blind??? Seriously!!??? do you even know what's going on or do you spend all your time just hating the GOP??
  • Options

The fact that she's been under federal investigation? Oj Simpson was found innocent, so unless you believe that, don't pretend Hilary is spotless. But the bigger thing to me, Is how? How do you end up being so terrible at being Secretary of State you get investigated for multiple things??? Are that fucking blind??? Seriously!!??? do you even know what's going on or do you spend all your time just hating the GOP??
    Did you really just compare a double homicide to end email server? Keep trying.
  • Options

Did you really just compare a double homicide to end email server? Keep trying.
    Nope, I compared justice system and money. You keep on trying ;)
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,116

yeah "under federal investigation" brought on by a bunch of republicans with conspiracy boners where the FBI found no evidence that a reasonable prosecutor would pursue.

Are you really still hanging onto that?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options

What?? Seriously what?? Again you didn't answer my question to your bold statement, but what are you talking about? Are you educated? Do you know how the economy works? What??
    I am educated. College degree with some MBA work under my belt (probably not going to finish. Return isn't worth it). I work in a position in a rapidly growing industry that intersects technology and healthcare.

I am very aware of how the economy works. I am also aware that these folks who are so angry are also very happy with the prices at Walmart (that is not a shot at anyone). You can't have it both ways. Supply and demand...

What is so confusing about what I wrote?
  • Options

I am educated. College degree with some MBA work under my belt (probably not going to finish. Return isn't worth it). I work in a position in a rapidly growing industry that intersects technology and healthcare.

I am very aware of how the economy works. I am also aware that these folks who are so angry are also very happy with the prices at Walmart (that is not a shot at anyone). You can't have it both ways. Supply and demand...

You haven't stated at all how you've benefited, your response is completely vague, so yes, again. You said your life has been better ect ect, (not going to go back and exactly quote you, but will if it gets to that) and I've asked how. I'll just take your word for it ;)
  • Options

yeah "under federal investigation" brought on by a bunch of republicans with conspiracy boners where the FBI found no evidence that a reasonable prosecutor would pursue.

Are you really still hanging onto that?
    Really?? If you are seriously that blind, keep on rocking in the free world!!
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,116
    I'm with Cliffy...the last 4-5 years my business revenue has increased 15-20% per year which goes right in my pocket. I'm a CPA...when my revenue increases that generally means the economy is increasing because new people are starting their own businesses, etc.

At the same time my far right wing brother/sister-in-law (who I argued with 5 years ago that a second Obama term wouldn't be a major disaster) have seen their household income triple. Sister in law got a sales job where her income has steadily increased...BIL went from chronically unemployed to actually looking for a different job because he's WORKING TOO MUCH.

Of course...as anywhere...some of this relates to where we live.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options

I'm with Cliffy...the last 4-5 years my business revenue has increased 15-20% per year which goes right in my pocket. I'm a CPA...when my revenue increases that generally means the economy is increasing because new people are starting their own businesses, etc.

At the same time my far right wing brother/sister-in-law (who I argued with 5 years ago that a second Obama term wouldn't be a major disaster) have seen their household income triple. Sister in law got a sales job where her income has steadily increased...BIL went from chronically unemployed to actually looking for a different job because he's WORKING TOO MUCH.

Oh dang, so yea, things are so great now! We are headed on the upside finally! I feel really inspired. Why would we even want to push a 15 minimum wage?! Things are great!!!
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,846
    edited July 2016

Oh dang, so yea, things are so great now! We are headed on the upside finally! I feel really inspired. Why would we even want to push a 15 minimum wage?! Things are great!!!
    You are asking people to give specifics and they are.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

You haven't stated at all how you've benefited, your response is completely vague, so yes, again. You said your life has been better ect ect, (not going to go back and exactly quote you, but will if it gets to that) and I've asked how. I'll just take your word for it ;)
    You asked how things have improved economically for me. I answered. What else do you want?

A few more bullet points outside of my economic improvements?

I am happy my mother in law no longer needs to worry about her health issues impacting her healthcare coverage

I am happy my taxes have remained consistent, though like I said, I am expecting them to increase in the near future

I am very happy for a gay couple we are very close with who are now happily married and parents

I am very very happy about the progress in Philadelphia. This city has a ton of work to do (especially if I am going to live within the city limits long term) but has grown tremendously since I moved here 10 years ago.

I am happy two of my very good high school friends are no longer overseas at war

There are also plenty of things I am unhappy about...education, poverty, etc., but the good of the past 8 years significantly outweighs the bad, for me personally. I am also not attributing a lot of this to Obama, though I very much think the Dems understand where this country is headed and are not just looking back at the good old days that aren't coming back.

Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options

You asked how things have improved economically for me. I answered. What else do you want?

I am happy my mother in law no longer needs to worry about her health issues impacting her healthcare coverage

I am happy my taxes have remained consistent, though like I said, I am expecting them to increase in the near future

I am very happy for a gay couple we are very close with who are now happily married and parents

I am very very happy about the progress in Philadelphia. This city has a ton of work to do (especially if I am going to live within the city limits long term) but has grown tremendously since I moved here 10 years ago.

I am happy two of my very good high school friends are no longer overseas at war

There are also plenty of things I am unhappy about...education, poverty, etc., but the good of the past 8 years significantly outweighs the bad, for me personally. I am also not attributing a lot of this to Obama, though I very much think the Dems understand where this country is headed and are not just looking back at the good old days that aren't coming back.

The healthcare, you are lucky, you know the 1 out of the 100 that actually benefited from it.

Congrats on the tax's. I love paying 35% and love even more being demonized how I should pay more.

I really love that you see progress in Philli. I don't live in that city, or that state. That's a STATE RIGHT issue.

Happy the gays are married and divorcing. Again, to me STATE RIGHT.

I'm a vet. USN. We all serve knowing what we are getting into. And shit is worse now than it was 8 years ago.
  • Options
    Seriously, this is the trump thread!!! Let like the 4 or 5 of us have our spot. Yea we are out numbered. Cool, you guys go bro it up about how liberal talk are. But don't hijack this or want to argue or been mean to the people who like trump here. Trolling, I believe that's the word, don't troll. Get over yourself, hell another 8 years y'all will all be republican and cool, because that's how the cycle goes.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Seriously, this is the trump thread!!! Let like the 4 or 5 of us have our spot. Yea we are out numbered. Cool, you guys go bro it up about how liberal talk are. But don't hijack this or want to argue or been mean to the people who like trump here. Trolling, I believe that's the word, don't troll. Get over yourself, hell another 8 years y'all will all be republican and cool, because that's how the cycle goes.

So post something positive about Trump instead of asking how people's lives are better and ignoring/denigrating their responses.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options

The healthcare, you are lucky, you know the 1 out of the 100 that actually benefited from it.

Congrats on the tax's. I love paying 35% and love even more being demonized how I should pay more.

I really love that you see progress in Philli. I don't live in that city, or that state. That's a STATE RIGHT issue.

Happy the gays are married and divorcing. Again, to me STATE RIGHT.

I'm a vet. USN. We all serve knowing what we are getting into. And shit is worse now than it was 8 years ago.
    Yeah, the 1 and the other 10+ million who are now covered. I am no fan of where healthcare stands right now, but it is a step in the right direction. As Melania said, a measure of a country is how it takes care of it's people.

Congrats on the success. Seems you do very well for yourself.

More of a city issue, but I get your drift

I view equality and the pursuit of happiness as a national issue that is you know, in the declaration of independence

Thanks for your service. Of course you do and they did as well. Doesn't make me any less happy to have them out of harms way. I disagree that things are worse now.

• Options
    Oh my goodness...

One day this past May, Donald Trump’s eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., reached out to a senior adviser to Gov. John Kasich of Ohio, who left the presidential race just a few weeks before. As a candidate, Kasich declared in March that Trump was “really not prepared to be president of the United States,” and the following month he took the highly unusual step of coordinating with his rival Senator Ted Cruz in an effort to deny Trump the nomination. But according to the Kasich adviser (who spoke only under the condition that he not be named), Donald Jr. wanted to make him an offer nonetheless: Did he have any interest in being the most powerful vice president in history?

When Kasich’s adviser asked how this would be the case, Donald Jr. explained that his father’s vice president would be in charge of domestic and foreign policy.

Then what, the adviser asked, would Trump be in charge of?

“Making America great again” was the casual reply.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/20/magazine/how-donald-trump-picked-his-running-mate.html?_r=0
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,768

Paying 52k in taxes, before property, is a little vague. I guess the question is, what is your effective federal tax rate, after all of your adjustments, deductions, etc? I can speak for myself and say that I would be considered well into upper middle class. And because of the great middle class benefit of mortgage interest deduction, over the past 8+ years, I've paid between 16-18% in federal income taxes. I don't think that is egregious and I think there probably needs to be an increase at some levels in order to pay down the debt and deficit (also need to cut spending dramatically).
    So long as 1. you aren't making most of your money from short term capital gains, 2. you own a home with a mortgage and 3. AMT doesn't snare you..I'd be surprised if your effective marginal income tax rate is in the 20's. Not with a 52k bill. And I assume that number included state and local as well.

Here's an article from just the other day that I found insightful and quite true. I hear this all the time from my fellow GOPers here at work: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/07/rnc-convention-gop-delegates-economy-is-great-214068
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,911

I'll be the ice breaker, I paid 52k in taxes last year. Not including property tax.

You paid more in taxes than I made last year and I'm happy. So why all the complaining and ranting here. Sheesh!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

This discussion has been closed.