Options

Got questions about NYC/MSG shows? Post them here! New Yorkers please contribute!

Comments

• Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    edited March 2016
    Get_Right said:

Another way to get to and from the airports are the shuttle buses.
    Cheaper than the cabs and the air train is a pain if you have any luggage.
    Unbelievable that NYC does not have high speed rail service to and from JFK.

I haven't taken the shuttle busses to/from JFK but when I tried them a few years ago, I found them unreliable. The busses to Newark, on the other hand, are pretty reliable. Maybe they have improved. To clarify, I tried taking the NYC Airporter.

You can find info here: http://www.ny.com/transportation/airports/JFK.html#bus

Also I forgot about Super Shuttle. You can always do Super Shuttle.
    Post edited by Suziemay on
  • Options
    EL177913EL177913 Posts: 220
    Unrelated. Does anyone have a good recommendation on what area to stay in if running the marathon in November? I won a second type of NYC lottery this year!
    1992: 8/7 Mansfield MA
    2000: 8/29 Mansfield MA
    2004: 9/28+29 Boston MA, 10/1 Reading PA, 10/6 Asheville NC, 10/8 Kissimmee FL
    2005: 9/15 Montreal, 9/16 Ottawa,ON 9/22 Halifax Nova Scotia, p9/24+25 St Johns, Newfoundland
    2006: 5/12 Albany NY, 5/13 Hartford CT, 5/24+ 25 Boston MA, 5/27+28 Camden NJ
    2008: 6/28+30 Mansfield MA, 8/2 EV Boston MA
    2009: 10/30+ 31 Philly
    2010: 5/15 Hartford CT, 5/17 Boston MA
    2011: 9/3+4 PJ20, Alpine Valley WI, 6/15 EV Providence RI, 6/16 EV Boston MA
    2013: 7/19 Chicago, 10/15+16 Worcester MA, 10/25 Hartford CT
    2014: 10/19 St Paul MN
    2016: (5/1+2 MSG, 8/5+7 Fenway)
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    My friend took the shuttle bus from JFK without an issue not long ago. This is the website: http://www.nycairporter.com/

Personally, I've never used this service. I'd never even heard of it, but a friend had it recommended to her and she used it without issue last year for GCF.
    If you're staying on 53rd & 7th I'd just get off the shuttle at the port authority and walk up. it's only ten blocks up and one avenue over.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    thanks for the tips. Im very OCD about knowing the exact plan while travelling and looking at the spaghetti of colors, letters, and numbers, my head was spinning.

Im thinking the taxi will be the most dependable option early AM from the hotel to JFK. Thats the one I cant chance. The morning of May 1st, I have like 7 hours from when I arrive to check in time at the hotel, lol.
  • Options
    schappschapp Posts: 160
    MayDay10 said:

thanks for the tips. Im very OCD about knowing the exact plan while travelling and looking at the spaghetti of colors, letters, and numbers, my head was spinning.

Im thinking the taxi will be the most dependable option early AM from the hotel to JFK. Thats the one I cant chance. The morning of May 1st, I have like 7 hours from when I arrive to check in time at the hotel, lol.

You could also book a super shuttle to pick you up from your hotel if travelling solo, which is about 25 USD only.

While arriving into the city I believe it is a no-brainer in your case. For the info you gave, it seems you are staying at the Sheraton or perhaps the Hilton. From JFK, take the Airtrain to Jamaica (avoid the one to Howard Beach, won't help in your case), and from there take the E train to the 7th ave station. That will take you directly to your hotel. Good luck :)

• Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,814
    Ok New Yorkers, help me out please.

I land at LaGuardia at 9am Saturday. 1st thing we want to do is check out the Staten Island Ferry. Looks like its a 1 hour or so subway/train ride to the ferry, from the airport. Or a 15 minute $50 cab ride.

Give me all the info you have on the Staten Island Ferry.
    When I get to the terminal Saturday morning, how long before I actually get on a Ferry? How long of a wait?
    Should I just invest in a cab from the airport, and save myself time? Or do I spend an hour on the subway?

Give me any info you can, please. Thanks.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,066

I land at LaGuardia at 9am Saturday. 1st thing we want to do is check out the Staten Island Ferry. Looks like its a 1 hour or so subway/train ride to the ferry, from the airport. Or a 15 minute $50 cab ride.

When I get to the terminal Saturday morning, how long before I actually get on a Ferry? How long of a wait?
    Should I just invest in a cab from the airport, and save myself time? Or do I spend an hour on the subway?

Take a cab from LGA. Awful airport to take mass transit to.
  • Options
    UtahBoltUtahBolt Posts: 188
    Would love some local feedback. I have done a little research and it seems that the LIRR will be a good bet for my wife and I. We land at JFK early and are staying near Penn Station. Looks like a fairly easy Airtrain trip from JFK to Jamaica station and then a straight shot from there on the LIRR to Penn Station. Does that sound about right?
  • Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346

Take a cab from LGA. Awful airport to take mass transit to.
    Agreed. I've never taken mass transit to LGA. You could look into the shuttles that get you into the city. Once in the city you can take the 1 train straight to the ferry. I've only done the ferry once about 10 years ago so I can't be of too much help there.
    NYPJ
  • Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    UtahBolt said:

Would love some local feedback. I have done a little research and it seems that the LIRR will be a good bet for my wife and I. We land at JFK early and are staying near Penn Station. Looks like a fairly easy Airtrain trip from JFK to Jamaica station and then a straight shot from there on the LIRR to Penn Station. Does that sound about right?

Yes. Make sure to purchase your LIRR tickets before getting on the train. They charge a large fee for buying them on the train.
    NYPJ
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    UtahBolt said:

Yup. As long as you don't have a lot of luggage. I'm not sure about the elevator situation in Penn Station. There has to be one, I just remember dragging my bag up the stairs!
  • Options
    UtahBoltUtahBolt Posts: 188
    Thanks wall232 and Suziemay; good advice that is appreciated!
  • Options

Speedy I'm not sure where you got that from but if you're taking a cab from but from LGA to the ferry terminal in the city is probably closer to 45 minutes with traffic. it'll still be faster than the train, and if you have a bunch of luggage probably for the best.

In case you do decide to try taking the subway here's your routes:

Option 1:
    Take the M60 from LaGuardia to Manhattan.You can either:
    a) get off at Lexington and take the 4/5 down to Bowling Green and walk over to the terminal (it'll be a few short blocks) or
    b) stay on the bus as it goes cross town and get off at Lenox Ave(Malcom X Blvd) and take the 2/3 to Chambers St then transfer to the 1 OR
    c) stay on the bus even further to 116 and take the 1 straight down to the Ferry terminal. This will be easiest but it will take the longest as the 1 is local and it's quite a few stops, in addition to the traffic on 125.

Option 2:
    Take the Q70 from Laguarda to 74th - Roosevelt Avenue. From there Take the E (fastest), R or 7 trains to Times Sq and transfer to the 1 train to South Ferry.

Oh and if you are taking the 1 I think you have to be in the first three or four cars because the station is too small to fit the whole train - unless they've fixed that? I'm not sure TBH. I also can't comment on the ferry.

Either way make sure you buy your metrocard from the machine in the airport. If you're getting an unlimited each person needs their own. If you're getting a pay per ride card you can share one, but don't lose that shit. You can't just jump on a bus and expect to pay in cash. You can pay in coins on the bus but only in coins and you don't get any change. The subway you 100% need a metrocard, no alternative, but there's machines in the stations. And if you're scrambling around with luggage keep in mind that most stations don't have elevators/escalators.

I seem to recall Penn having escalators.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,814
    ldent42 said:

Speedy I'm not sure where you got that from but if you're taking a cab from but from LGA to the ferry terminal in the city is probably closer to 45 minutes with traffic. it'll still be faster than the train, and if you have a bunch of luggage probably for the best.

In case you do decide to try taking the subway here's your routes:

Option 1:
    Take the M60 from LaGuardia to Manhattan.You can either:
    a) get off at Lexington and take the 4/5 down to Bowling Green and walk over to the terminal (it'll be a few short blocks) or
    b) stay on the bus as it goes cross town and get off at Lenox Ave(Malcom X Blvd) and take the 2/3 to Chambers St then transfer to the 1 OR
    c) stay on the bus even further to 116 and take the 1 straight down to the Ferry terminal. This will be easiest but it will take the longest as the 1 is local and it's quite a few stops, in addition to the traffic on 125.

Option 2:
    Take the Q70 from Laguarda to 74th - Roosevelt Avenue. From there Take the E (fastest), R or 7 trains to Times Sq and transfer to the 1 train to South Ferry.

Oh and if you are taking the 1 I think you have to be in the first three or four cars because the station is too small to fit the whole train - unless they've fixed that? I'm not sure TBH. I also can't comment on the ferry.

Either way make sure you buy your metrocard from the machine in the airport. If you're getting an unlimited each person needs their own. If you're getting a pay per ride card you can share one, but don't lose that shit. You can't just jump on a bus and expect to pay in cash. You can pay in coins on the bus but only in coins and you don't get any change. The subway you 100% need a metrocard, no alternative, but there's machines in the stations. And if you're scrambling around with luggage keep in mind that most stations don't have elevators/escalators.

I seem to recall Penn having escalators.
    Thank you.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    scornlanderscornlander Colorado Posts: 98
    edited March 2016
    ldent42 said:

Option 2:

I'm flying in to LGA and staying at the Wyndham a block from MSG. I was thinking of doing the Q70 bus/E train to Penn Station option to and from the hotel (flying in midday Saturday and leaving Tuesday morning). Is this reasonable or is there a better option?
    Post edited by scornlander on
  • Options

ldent42 said:

Option 2:

I'm flying in to LGA and staying at the Wyndham a block from MSG. I was thinking of doing the Q70 bus/E train to Penn Station option to and from the hotel (flying in midday Saturday and leaving Tuesday morning). Is this reasonable or is there a better option?
    If you don't have a lot of luggage and allow plenty of time, that works great. It's my preferred way to get to LGA. Dirt cheap and relatively painless. For the way back, just be sure you know what terminal you are going to and also pay attention. It's not always clear what terminal they are at.

If you have luggage, I recommend taking a taxi.
  • Options
    scornlanderscornlander Colorado Posts: 98
    Suziemay said:

ldent42 said:

Option 2:

If you don't have a lot of luggage and allow plenty of time, that works great. It's my preferred way to get to LGA. Dirt cheap and relatively painless. For the way back, just be sure you know what terminal you are going to and also pay attention. It's not always clear what terminal they are at.

Thank you so much. I will just have one carry-on bag so I should be good. And thanks for the info about the terminals. I wouldn't have thought about that!
  • Options

Suziemay said:

ldent42 said:

Option 2:

Thank you so much. I will just have one carry-on bag so I should be good. And thanks for the info about the terminals. I wouldn't have thought about that!
    I just want to add on to to SuzieMay's response - and this advice is for EVERYONE - especially on Sat-Sun & weekdays between 10am-3pm or Midnight-5am you want to check your train's service status on www.mta.info
    For Example:
    It's 2am Friday night/Saturday morning, and this sort of service is not at all atypical. I live along the nightmare known as the 7 train, which currently has this lovely little service disruption: http://www.mta.info/status/subway/7/24306122 (I'm not entirely sure if that's going to stay up after this weekend, so apologies if it's a dead link to anyone reading this after 4:30am Monday March 21st)
    But fear not, it's not always cause for alarm. For example, you'll notice the ACE is listed as "delays", but really it's just "Due to signal problems at 135 St, southbound A Subway and D Subway trains are running with delays." which wouldn't effect you taking the E from 74th to Penn Station at all.

It might seem hard to believe for visitors, but we are still actually trying to get shit fixed that was fucked up by Sandy. The E train is one of those things, but for PJ weekend no construction is scheduled. See http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/ELine2016/ even if it were though it's not a huge difference you still get off at 34th and just walk over.

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    schapp said:

MayDay10 said:

You could also book a super shuttle to pick you up from your hotel if travelling solo, which is about 25 USD only.

While arriving into the city I believe it is a no-brainer in your case. For the info you gave, it seems you are staying at the Sheraton or perhaps the Hilton. From JFK, take the Airtrain to Jamaica (avoid the one to Howard Beach, won't help in your case), and from there take the E train to the 7th ave station. That will take you directly to your hotel. Good luck :)

Thanks, by the way. I think this is my plan now.
  • Options
    ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    Hilton honors program is having a sale right now for it's members for 25% off of rooms. I just got the Hampton Inn Madison Square Garden on 31st Ave for $209/night for anyone still looking for close hotels. It's not as cheap as that Sheraton deal, which I wanted to do, but we're staying till Wednesday and didn't want to change hotels.
  • Options
    PernillePernille Copenhagen, Denmark Posts: 114
    Any advice on the best/cheapest/easiest way to get to e.g. Grand Central from Newark?

I'm looking at the airport website, and it's difficult to see what's the best option, Express Bus, Public Bus Service, AirTrain, other trains, etc....
    2000: Roskilde
    2006: Berlin
    2007: Copenhagen
    2010: London
    2012: Copenhagen
    2014: Amsterdam 1, Amsterdam 2, Stockholm
    2016: MSG1, MSG2
  • Options
    schappschapp Posts: 160
    Pernille said:

Any advice on the best/cheapest/easiest way to get to e.g. Grand Central from Newark?

I'm looking at the airport website, and it's difficult to see what's the best option, Express Bus, Public Bus Service, AirTrain, other trains, etc....

If you want to go to Grand Central, the express bus is what would leave you closer to the station, one block away. You can check the options here: http://www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-public-transportation.html
  • Options
    PernillePernille Copenhagen, Denmark Posts: 114
    Thanks, @schapp ! :)
    2000: Roskilde
    2006: Berlin
    2007: Copenhagen
    2010: London
    2012: Copenhagen
    2014: Amsterdam 1, Amsterdam 2, Stockholm
    2016: MSG1, MSG2
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    If you don't need to go to grand central take nj transit (train) right into penn station and you are there!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    got a question for you guys about parking.. i'm coming down from CT on sunday afternoon, staying at the westin in times square and going to both shows. however, i'm heading home after the show monday, so i'm checking out of my hotel monday by noon. because of this, i was planning on driving down - this way i'd be able to drop my stuff off in my car after i check out. my question is how possible would it be to get a spot on the street somewhere for that stretch of time: sunday 2-ish till monday midnight-ish? i say street because a., it could be free and b., i'd have access to my car in order to drop off my bag. i was thinking about somewhere in alphabet city maybe.. i don't mind having to take the subway back and forth. any better places? is this a stupid idea altogether?

thanks guys
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    DPrival78 said:

got a question for you guys about parking.. i'm coming down from CT on sunday afternoon, staying at the westin in times square and going to both shows. however, i'm heading home after the show monday, so i'm checking out of my hotel monday by noon. because of this, i was planning on driving down - this way i'd be able to drop my stuff off in my car after i check out. my question is how possible would it be to get a spot on the street somewhere for that stretch of time: sunday 2-ish till monday midnight-ish? i say street because a., it could be free and b., i'd have access to my car in order to drop off my bag. i was thinking about somewhere in alphabet city maybe.. i don't mind having to take the subway back and forth. any better places? is this a stupid idea altogether?

thanks guys

If you don't mind walking/subway/taxi, I'd stay up town so you can scoot right up West side highway going to CT, and you should be able to find free street parking. Use Best Parking app and it will tell you where free street parking is available. Just check alternate side parking for Monday. You may have to move your car depending on what you find. It may also be more trouble than it's worth. Sometimes $50 is worth the convenience (i.e. Parking right at your hotel).
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    DPrival78 said:

thanks guys

Hotel will hold your bag after you check out if you ask. Concert ends --> pick up your bag --> walk over to Grand Central. No car/parking necessary.
  • Options
    jamburger said:

Hotel will hold your bag after you check out if you ask. Concert ends --> pick up your bag --> walk over to Grand Central. No car/parking necessary.

i like that even better. thanks.
  • Options
    and if anyone's looking for a hotel, i got the westin times square on hotwire yesterday for $126 including taxes/fees. short walk or one subway stop away from MSG. seems like it's still available.
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,924
    I talked to SVRDhand13 about this, but just looking for clarity since my location changed a bit. I am staying on South 5th St in Brooklyn. Hoping to get into the area early afternoon on Sunday the 1st. Any suggestions as to get into the city (MSG area) and back? Looking for safest, least stressful ways, haha. I assume Uber would be easiest, but not sure how much that would cost? I was told that it was 1 stop into Manhattan on the J, M, Z lines. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!