Options

Got questions about NYC/MSG shows? Post them here! New Yorkers please contribute!

Comments

• Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    Suziemay said:

Will let others more knowledgeable comment further, but Peter Luger's is the name that comes up the most for steak in NYC. Others: Keens, Del Frisco's

I would also add Old Homestead. Best steak I've ever had.
  • Options
    How is the fish at Peter Lugers?
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    greedgreed Posts: 171

Went there for the first time a few months ago on LI, unbelievable porterhouse.
  • Options
    greed said:

Im sure it was delicious. For $100, it BETTER be delicious!!

• Options
    greedgreed Posts: 171
    edited February 2016

greed said:

Haha yeah no kidding.

Also if you've never been, cash or debit only, no credit. Unless you have a Peter Luger card.
    Post edited by greed on
  • Options
    greed said:

greed said:

Haha yeah no kidding.
    I like when they charge you $80-$100 for the steak.
    And then charge you $10 for the potato.
    Really?
    God forbid you want some asparagus, cuz that's another $15.
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    http://www.yelp.com/menu/hop-kee-new-york/item/pan-fried-flounder
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/hop-kee-new-york

The best flounder in the city my friend. An institution, if you can find it.

• Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,809
    edited February 2016
    rssesq said:

http://www.yelp.com/menu/hop-kee-new-york/item/pan-fried-flounder
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/hop-kee-new-york

The best flounder in the city my friend. An institution, if you can find it.

I have a bad feeling, when all is said and done, I will end up at McDonalds for a fish sandwich.

But seriously, as long as I get to KATZ, and have some corned beef, I will be happy.

• Options
    Our wait up to 3-4 hours for a 15$ milk shake at black tap it will kill any diabetic
    Let's Go Yanks!
    96)Randalls Island I,II
    98)NJ,MSG I,II
    00) Virginia Beach Jones Beach I,II,III Saratoga Springs Seattle I
    03)Nassau Camden I MSG I,II NJ
    04)Boston I,II Reading
    05)Montreal Ottawa Toronto Borgata I,II Philly
    06) Irving plaza Albany Hartford Camden I,II NJ I,II LA I,II Gorge I,II
    07)Lolla
    08)Roo Camden I,II MSG I,II Hartford Beacon
    09)Chicago I,II Philly II,III,IV
    10)Hartford Newark MSG I,II
    11)PJ20 I,II
    13)Wrigley Brooklyn I,II Hartford
    14)Moline,milwaukee
    15)Central Park
    16)MSG I,II
    17)Wrigley I,II
    18)Wrigley I,II
    22)MSG,Camden
  • Options
    Chinatown is a 15 minute walk from Katz. And don't believe that Hannibal Buress commercial, there are no cash registers at the counter. Ya get a ticket and don't lose it or you cant leave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czcb5dXjlZA
  • Options
    JSBachJSBach Posts: 108
    Thanks Suzie, All, for the advices!
    LK
    Sift everything, hold on to what is good!
  • Options
    Who am I kidding?
    Im gonna put a case of Bud-Light on ice, in the hotel sink.
    McDonalds will be my restaurant of choice.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,610
    The best (hangover) breakfast place I found was the Tick Tock Cafe, right near MSG. They make amazing home fried potatoes.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    edited February 2016
    JSBach said:

Last question: what about best steaks in NYC? and hamburgers?

Thanks!!!!!

LK

Burger Joint is supposed to be incredible. Hidden behind a curtain at Le Parker Meridian hotel. Been meaning to try it for a little while now! I also think Shake Shack lives up to they hype for the most part. I've never been disappointed in a Shack burger and strawberry milkshake there!
    PJ_Soul said:

The best (hangover) breakfast place I found was the Tick Tock Cafe, right near MSG. They make amazing home fried potatoes.

This is my go-to diner after a show or game at MSG :)
    Post edited by samjam on
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    ckravitz said:

Suziemay said:

Will let others more knowledgeable comment further, but Peter Luger's is the name that comes up the most for steak in NYC. Others: Keens, Del Frisco's

I would also add Old Homestead. Best steak I've ever had.
    Truth.
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668

Who am I kidding?
    Im gonna put a case of Bud-Light on ice, in the hotel sink.
    McDonalds will be my restaurant of choice.

You could always wait in line for 2 hours at Shake Shack.
  • Options
    Micheyb21Micheyb21 UK Posts: 244
    Great tips thanks guys. The last time i was in NYC i took the free staten island ferry to get great views of the city and statue of liberty and avoid the crowds. Not sure it thats still free but was great way to spend couple of hours
    2000 Cardiff/ 2006 Paris/ 2011 Toronto/ 2013 Chicago/ 2014 Amsterdam 1 & Milton Keynes, 
    2016 MSG 1 & 2/ 2017 London Ed solo/ 2018 London 1, Padua, Rome, Prague & London 2
    2019 Dusseldorf & Dublin Ed Solo  
    2022 Copenhagen, London 1&2, Budapest, Krakow, Vienna, Prague, Ams 1 & Ams 2
    2024 Manchester, London, Auckland & Sydney
  • Options
    nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    JSBach said:

A couple of questions...

I'll be there with my son (13) if we go for lunch/dinner to a pub can he enter (of course he doesn't drink alcohol) or are there any limitations?

I smoke cigars (Toscani : ) ... is it possible to smoke while in the streets? are there any limitations (e.g.: parks, certain buildings, oth.?)

Last question: what about best steaks in NYC? and hamburgers?

Thanks!!!!!

LK

For burgers, check out the Breslin.(29th and bway I think-it's in the ace hotel) Very close to msg if you're already in that area, a 7 or 8 minute walk, it's a lamb burger, so it's a little different but it is awesome. And the fries are even better. It has a pub feel to it and you can go with the little one.

Bar Nomad is also right there, a little more of a hip/swanky feel but also a great burger. And also close to the garden, not as hip, but dependable and convenient , is Rare, a mini burger chain that is low key but decent on 26th street and 6th ave. if you wanted to eat there before the show it's quite close.

And I haven't had, but I gotta think th institution Keens which is very close to ththe garden has an excell not burger too.

My favorite uber gourmet expensive burger would be minetta tavern in the village, it's pricey but amazing, just go right at open and sit at the bar as it could be tough to get in. My favorite under 20 dollar burger is Resto, 29th btween park n lex, great beer selection and awesome frites too. And actually you can walk to msg from there as well if you don't mind 10-15 minute walk. Another great burger, and a sister restaurant to the Breslin is the spotted pig in the west village. One of th top burgers I've ever had, only downside is if you don't dig the Roquefort cheese, but it's really good(be prepared to wait as well, it gets busy). And come to think of it, I haven't tried yet, but the same people just open d Salvation Burger, their take on like a fast food burger, and I can only imagine it's great. I gotta get up there for that come to think of it. Think it's 51st street at the pod hotel

Not a burger, but also sort of in the area is the prime rib sandwich at Eataly on 24th n bway at the rotisserie counter (only from 11-5pm and sometimes sell out) but it's a fantastic option for lunch and go across the street and sit in Madison square park. Only downside would be if you anted to wash it down with a beer.

'98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    If you want fancy hipster burgers check out BareBurger. Fried Pickles!

You can smoke cigars in the street but don't be surprised if you get some remarks from people walking by. Don't smoke in front of building doorways and don't think you can get away with smoking in your hotel room (you can't). As Suziemay already said Parks (and beaches) are technically illegal to smoke in.

If it's an actual bar/restaurant/pub and not just a bar, having a teenager with his parents is not an issue. I'd suggest checking the menu out online or in front before going in. As long as there's actual food (not just bar plates) you should be good.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    EL177913EL177913 Posts: 220
    ldent42 said:

If you want fancy hipster burgers check out BareBurger. Fried Pickles!

I believe they're called frickles.
    1992: 8/7 Mansfield MA
    2000: 8/29 Mansfield MA
    2004: 9/28+29 Boston MA, 10/1 Reading PA, 10/6 Asheville NC, 10/8 Kissimmee FL
    2005: 9/15 Montreal, 9/16 Ottawa,ON 9/22 Halifax Nova Scotia, p9/24+25 St Johns, Newfoundland
    2006: 5/12 Albany NY, 5/13 Hartford CT, 5/24+ 25 Boston MA, 5/27+28 Camden NJ
    2008: 6/28+30 Mansfield MA, 8/2 EV Boston MA
    2009: 10/30+ 31 Philly
    2010: 5/15 Hartford CT, 5/17 Boston MA
    2011: 9/3+4 PJ20, Alpine Valley WI, 6/15 EV Providence RI, 6/16 EV Boston MA
    2013: 7/19 Chicago, 10/15+16 Worcester MA, 10/25 Hartford CT
    2014: 10/19 St Paul MN
    2016: (5/1+2 MSG, 8/5+7 Fenway)
  • Options
    JSBachJSBach Posts: 108
    Guys thanks again!! only reading all your suggestions i gained a couple of KG : )

LK
    Sift everything, hold on to what is good!
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,838

Is it feasible to park walking distance to MSG on May 2nd? I'm just a redneck from upstate (3 hours away) and would like to drive in and drive home. Time doesn't matter but it might be nice to get there early to check out some other stuff around MSG. I see parking garages in the area but don't know if it is possible to get into them. Cost doesn't really matter.

Have a look at Metro North. Park in Westchester at one of the stations. Trains constantly run into the city. You avoid traffic, hefty garage fees, etc. It really is an easy way if you plan to drive from upstate. The only catch may be the return train. I think they stop around midnight.

• Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    eddiec said:

Is it feasible to park walking distance to MSG on May 2nd? I'm just a redneck from upstate (3 hours away) and would like to drive in and drive home. Time doesn't matter but it might be nice to get there early to check out some other stuff around MSG. I see parking garages in the area but don't know if it is possible to get into them. Cost doesn't really matter.

Have a look at Metro North. Park in Westchester at one of the stations. Trains constantly run into the city. You avoid traffic, hefty garage fees, etc. It really is an easy way if you plan to drive from upstate. The only catch may be the return train. I think they stop around midnight.

On my line home (Harlem line) last train is at 1:56 AM.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165

Another thought on parking: the MSG site said most events have parking thorough TM or you can call the box office for more info. Maybe give that a shot? Look under parking: http://www.thegarden.com/faq.html#P
  • Options
    After 4, you can pretty much park anywhere in Southern Ct or Westchester for free right next to Metro North and take a 15 to 30 minute train into GC to avoid getting jacked for fifty bucks paying for parking near the garden. Or you can do like Costanza and myself, concentric circles in an expanding area looking for that ever elusive freebie spot
  • Options
    Some awesome food halls:

Gotham West: http://gothamwestmarket.com
    Chelsea Market: http://chelseamarket.com
    Gansevoort Market: http://www.gansmarket.com
    Hudson Eats: http://brookfieldplaceny.com/directory/food
  • Options
  • Options
    schappschapp Posts: 160
    edited February 2016
    pdalowsky said:

Read a great piece a few years ago about the high line in the national geographic, would like to see it I guess but its far down the priorities.

Is climbing liberty any good? or over rated? My good friend already gave me some advice on this, but is there any other thoughts? seems to me seeing liberty from the outside is better than looking out of it from the inside?

You can climb up to the crown, but need to reserve tickets in advance at statuecruises.com. In advance means: go there today and check if they have availability, there sell out months in advance.

Three types of tickets: crown, monument reserved (includes access to the museum and climg up to the pedestal) and grounds. I would either get the crown ticket or if it's sold out, just take the Staten Island Ferry.
    Post edited by schapp on
  • Options
    wall232 said:

rssesq said:

Pizza
    Lombardi's - little Italy so/ho
    Grimaldi's- Brooklyn

Two great places for pizza. I prefer Lombardi's as its in the city and I'm not a fan of Brooklyn. The one exception would be Peter Lugers, good old fashioned steak house.
    If in Brooklyn, I would go to Juliana's (owned by the original Grimaldi family), right next to Grimaldi's. If you have more time to spare, I would go to Di Fara's deep into Brooklyn, awesome experience! If reluctant to go into Brooklyn, there is a Grimaldi's on 6th avenue, but I've never been there.

I also know Roberta's is pretty famous as a hipster pizza parlor in Brooklyn, but I've never been there.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    .In terms of foodhalls, I would add Le District, Eataly and perhaps the food court at The Plaza. Touristy, but is not that the other options are not touristy any more :) Also, would Smorgasburg pass as a food hall? Pretty famous as well.
    Post edited by schapp on