Options

Got questions about NYC/MSG shows? Post them here! New Yorkers please contribute!

Comments

• Options
    Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    edited April 2016

Saltzy23 said:

Thanks to everyone for their help on my Brooklyn questions, but as usual with this trip, plans have changed, haha. My buddy ended up having a connection to the Hyatt Regency in Jersey City (99/night), so we got a room there instead. Looks like we just jump on the PATH train at Exchange Place and ride from there (with a few changes/stops)?

I live 10 minutes away from you. Either do what you are saying, or take a walk over to the Newport/Pavonia station (10 minute walk give or take) and take the HOB/33rd St train. Instead of having to get off the PATH, up the escalator and onto a subway uptown you can get out on 33rd and 6th, one avenue from MSG. Time wise is pretty close, but it's a little easier just taking the 33rd St Path line IMO.
    Excellent. I appreciate that info!
    If you really wanna get froggy, take the water taxi. You'll get a 5-10 minute view of the skyline from the Hudson that will blow you away. Then either hop in a cab or a subway uptown. They leave from right behind your hotel, right behind Harborside Plaza.

If the weather is nice out you should definitely get across the river this way. It's a few bucks more, but for someone that is visiting it's pretty neat.

http://www.libertylandingferry.com/

http://www.libertylandingferry.com/directions-and-parking.aspx
    Post edited by Saltzy23 on
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • Options
    kmac1976kmac1976 Posts: 84
    UBER > Yellow Cabs in NYC?

I remember reading something about the cab company's trying to keep UBER out of NYC....what ever came of this? Can you use UBER in the city the same way you can anywhere else?
  • Options
    Rival178Rival178 Posts: 608
    Anyone staying at the Hilton Manhattan East?
  • Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    edited April 2016
    kmac1976 said:

I remember reading something about the cab company's trying to keep UBER out of NYC....what ever came of this? Can you use UBER in the city the same way you can anywhere else?

You can use Uber anywhere in NY but cabs are cheaper.
    NYPJ
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,922
    Saltzy23 said:

Saltzy23 said:

Thanks to everyone for their help on my Brooklyn questions, but as usual with this trip, plans have changed, haha. My buddy ended up having a connection to the Hyatt Regency in Jersey City (99/night), so we got a room there instead. Looks like we just jump on the PATH train at Exchange Place and ride from there (with a few changes/stops)?

I live 10 minutes away from you. Either do what you are saying, or take a walk over to the Newport/Pavonia station (10 minute walk give or take) and take the HOB/33rd St train. Instead of having to get off the PATH, up the escalator and onto a subway uptown you can get out on 33rd and 6th, one avenue from MSG. Time wise is pretty close, but it's a little easier just taking the 33rd St Path line IMO.
    Excellent. I appreciate that info!
    If you really wanna get froggy, take the water taxi. You'll get a 5-10 minute view of the skyline from the Hudson that will blow you away. Then either hop in a cab or a subway uptown. They leave from right behind your hotel, right behind Harborside Plaza.

If the weather is nice out you should definitely get across the river this way. It's a few bucks more, but for someone that is visiting it's pretty neat.

http://www.libertylandingferry.com/

http://www.libertylandingferry.com/directions-and-parking.aspx
    That does sound froggy! And I like it. If the weather is good, I'd definitely be all over that.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    wall232 said:

kmac1976 said:

You can use Uber anywhere in NY but cabs are cheaper.
    I try to take yellow cabs when I can because they know how to navigate city streets. Uber only goes by GPS and if their GPS isn't helpful they are at a loss as to what to do.

But yes, you can use Uber in the city and is extremely convenient if you don't see a yellow cab.

I've also seen an app for cabs but I've never tried it. I think it's called Way2Ride? I used Hailo before they shut that down and loved it.
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,771
    For those that got GA tickets, did you get wrist bands shipped with the tickets or do you pick them up when you enter the gates?
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I use uber all the time without issue. The regular cabs can be paid with a credit card now but make sure you tip 2-3% extra because the fee for that comes out of their money.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,735
    robtraut said:

Rival178 said:

Flying into Newark on Saturday, what is the best/easiest way to get to Manhattan? We will make a quick stop at the hotel to drop off bags(walking distance to MSG) then off to Mets game.

Matt

There's a monorail from the airport that connects to the NJTransit train station. The train will take you right into NY Penn Station, directly below MSG.
    This. It's $13 and takes about half an hour. So easy I just did it in Feb.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Will try to update the first post for additional useful info that everyone contributed over the next few days.

But in the meantime... SIX MORE DAYS!!!! :smiley:

PS THIS IS NOT A TICKET SEARCH THREAD
  • Options
    MonkeyDan72MonkeyDan72 Posts: 676
    imageAnybody making brownies?

• Options
    kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,890
    edited April 2016
    tschav said:

For those that got GA tickets, did you get wrist bands shipped with the tickets or do you pick them up when you enter the gates?

The wristbands were not included if you got your tickets shipped. I didn't get mine shipped, but they said that instructions for picking up wristbands would be sent closer to the show, I believe.

From the final confirmation email: You must have both a GA ticket and an Official Ten Club GA Entry wristband fastened to your wrist to enter the GA Pit. Those two items combined give you GA pit access. *Members who had their GA tickets shipped will received their wristbands from the security staff at the GA door upon entry.
    Post edited by kasedoug on
  • Options
    duffmannduffmann PHILLY Posts: 475
    edited April 2016

imageAnybody making brownies?

Count me in.... Special Request here for some Vape Oil, PM me!
    Philly PA 91, Philly 92, Camden 98, Camden 2X 00, State College, Philly, Camden 2X & Hershey 03, Reading 04, AC 2X & Philly 05, Camden 2X 06, Camden 2X 08, Philly 4X 09, Philly 2X & Balt 13, Natti & Moline 14, FTL & MIA, Philly 2X, MSG 2X, Fenway 2X 16, Seattle 2X, Missoula, Wrigley 2X, Fenway 2X 18                               ******COVID******
    San Diego & LA  2X, PHX, MSG, Camden, Nashville, 50th SHOW STL 22, CHI(n2), INDY, FTW(n2), Austin 2X 23......
  • Options
    leekstokieleekstokie Stoke-on-Trent - UK Posts: 901
    Rival178 said:

Anyone staying at the Hilton Manhattan East?

Yep, staying there Saturday through to Wednesday
    PJ
    2012 - Manchester 1 - 20/6 
    2014 - Amsterdam 1 - 16/6, Amsterdam 2 - 17/6, Milan - 20/6, Leeds - 08/07, Milton Keynes - 11/07
    2015 - Bogota - 25/11
    2016 - Philly 1 - 28/04, Philly 2 - 29/04, NYC 1 - 01/05, NYC 2 - 02/05
    2018 - LDN 1 - 18/06, Krakow - 03/07, Berlin - 05/07, Madrid - 12/07, LDN 2 - 17/07, Missoula 13/08
    2022 - LA 1 - 06/05, LA2 - 07/05, Berlin - 21/06, Frankfurt 28/07, London 1 - 08/07, London 2 - 09/07, Budapest - 12/07, Krakow 14/07, Amsterdam 2 - 25/07, NYC Apollo - 10/09, NYC MSG - 11/09, OKC - 20/09, Denver - 22/09.
    2023 - St Paul 2 - 03/09, Chicago 1 - 05/09, Chicago 2 - 07/09

EV
    2012 - Manchester - 28/07/12, 2017 - Amsterdam - 29/05/17, 2019 -Amsterdam - 09/06/2019, Madrid - 22/06/2019
  • Options
    It's Sakura Matsuri (cherry blossom festival) at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden this weekend.
    http://www.bbg.org/visit/event/sakura_matsuri_2016
  • Options
    MonkeyDan72MonkeyDan72 Posts: 676
    Suziemay said:

It's Sakura Matsuri (cherry blossom festival) at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden this weekend.
    http://www.bbg.org/visit/event/sakura_matsuri_2016

Are you saying there is no culture found in the merch line?! :rofl:
  • Options
    samsonitesamsonite Posts: 209
    I've got another question for the locals...
    A friend and I are flying in Saturday and staying until Monday. We're staying in Astoria and I'm assuming the best way to get around will be the subway (please correct me if I'm wrong); if I'm right, is there a 3 day or 7 day pass we should buy or would it be cheaper to pay for every trip as we go?
    grace and peace
  • Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    samsonite said:

A friend and I are flying in Saturday and staying until Monday. We're staying in Astoria and I'm assuming the best way to get around will be the subway (please correct me if I'm wrong); if I'm right, is there a 3 day or 7 day pass we should buy or would it be cheaper to pay for every trip as we go?

There is a 7-day unlimited metro card for $31 that is good for the subway and buses. So depending on how often you will be riding this may be the way to go as the fare for each ride with a regular metro card is $2.75..
    NYPJ
  • Options
    wall232 said:

samsonite said:

There is a 7-day unlimited metro card for $31 that is good for the subway and buses. So depending on how often you will be riding this may be the way to go as the fare for each ride with a regular metro card is $2.75..
    Yeah, really depends what you plan on doing. I walk a lot so I don't have an unlimited subway pass, it's not worth it for me. Do you think some days you'll just say F it and Uber it back to where you are staying? If so, you're better off paying per-ride. Also, while a ride is $2.75, there's a $1 surcharge for the dumb piece of plastic so don't throw it out!
  • Options
    Also if you're into food and books, or is it books about food? Food Book Fair at the Wythe Hotel this weekend: http://www.foodbookfair.com/?platform=hootsuite
  • Options
    wall232 said:

Suziemay said:

Yeah, really depends what you plan on doing. I walk a lot so I don't have an unlimited subway pass, it's not worth it for me. Do you think some days you'll just say F it and Uber it back to where you are staying? If so, you're better off paying per-ride. Also, while a ride is $2.75, there's a $1 surcharge for the dumb piece of plastic so don't throw it out!

Thank you!
    Can I pick this metro card up at any subway station?
    grace and peace
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    hey, why arnt u new yorkers out voting for Bern right now? please don't make me vote republican in the presidential election.
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    rssesq said:

hey, why arnt u new yorkers out voting for Bern right now? please don't make me vote republican in the presidential election.

Because the primary was a week ago?
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    my bad, u already dropped the ball. lol
  • Options
    samsonite said:

wall232 said:

Suziemay said:

Thank you!
    Can I pick this metro card up at any subway station?
    Yup! There are machines that accept cash or credit card. http://web.mta.info/metrocard/mvms/index.htm
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    You also get a bonus on the pay per ride, I'm not sure how much it is. But if you put a $10 in the machine you get more than a $10 metrocard. There's probably info on the website about it. If you see an old metrocard on the balance checking machine you can take it and give it to the both operator to get a new card and avoid the $1 surcharge for a new card.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    ldent42 said:

You also get a bonus on the pay per ride, I'm not sure how much it is. But if you put a $10 in the machine you get more than a $10 metrocard. There's probably info on the website about it. If you see an old metrocard on the balance checking machine you can take it and give it to the both operator to get a new card and avoid the $1 surcharge for a new card.

11% bonus
    If you use the same $31 to purchase a new Pay-Pay-Ride, you'll net 12 rides (or 2 people can get enter the station 6 times).
    If you purchase a $31 weekly, you cannot share the card without waiting the 20 minutes for it to reset.
    Something to think about if you're only here for a couple of days.
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783
    Posted in the roll call thread accidentally.

Question for New Yorkers.... I'm considering driving in even though the nj transit is very easy from where I live. I really want a place to stash my stuff (merch etc) before the concert. It would be nice to return to my car to do so. if I park in a garage will I be able to return mid day to stash my stuff without taking my car out? Just weighing all the pros and cons. $$ for the Ez pass through the tunnel plus the garage versus $$ for parking in NJ plus the train ticket, what will be less hassle and get us home as quickly as possible etc. thx for any input.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    PixeltenderPixeltender nyc Posts: 73
    edited April 2016
    Suziemay said:

But in the meantime... SIX MORE DAYS!!!! :smiley:

I'm so excited for the show that it's evolved into feeling nervous.
    Gonna be sportin my Eddie Vader design!

So when exactly should I be getting in line for will call? Where are folks meeting for pregame beers?
    Post edited by Pixeltender on
  • Options
    Suziemay said:

Yup! There are machines that accept cash or credit card. http://web.mta.info/metrocard/mvms/index.htm

ldent42 said:

jamburger said:

11% bonus
    If you use the same $31 to purchase a new Pay-Pay-Ride, you'll net 12 rides (or 2 people can get enter the station 6 times).
    If you purchase a $31 weekly, you cannot share the card without waiting the 20 minutes for it to reset.
    Something to think about if you're only here for a couple of days.

Thanks all!
    grace and peace