Options

2016 Tour lottery Ticket Odds

Comments

• Options
    JB111896 said:

Yes this is exactly how it works. This is in the ticket FAQ and has been explained by the 10c. Another point to note that seems to confuse people is that the shows are drawn chronologically. This especially affects cities where there are two shows, but you can only be picked for one. Therefore, say you made your picks like this: #1- Philly 2 GA
    #2- Philly 2 reserved
    #3- Philly 1 reserved
    The drawing for Philly 1 happens before the drawing for Philly 2. Therefore, if reserved seats for Philly 1 went all the way to people's 3rd priority you could face a scenario where you win those seats and your #1 and #2 picks are eliminated before the drawing for Philly 2 even happens, because you can only win tickets to one of those two shows.

What you're suggesting is possible, but I have confidence that the Ten Club is smart enough to do the drawings for all the GA shows first before doing any drawings for reserved seating. That would eliminate the possibility of your scenario from happening. Of course if they choose chronologically and someone picks Philly 2 GA with their first pick and Philly 1 GA as their second pick and there weren't enough people who picked Philly 1 GA with their first picks it would be possible for this person to win Philly 1 GA with their second pick eliminating them from the opportunity to win Philly 2 with their first choice. However with Philly and New York being as popular as they are, there will probably be more people picking those shows as their first pick than tickets available so this probably wouldn't happen.
    Another thing that doesn't make sense with the way you are looking at the lottery....

If they were to draw all GA 1st...For all the shows.

You are telling me that you had the same odds as everyone else who went for GA, and then you ALSO are given the SAME ODDS as everyone else who went for reserved? Because everyone who went for reserved, had to wait for all the GA to be distributed, and then all of the people who lost GA were put into the reserved pool and given the same chance to win reserved?

NO WAY!

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089

You are telling me that you had the same odds as everyone else who went for GA, and then you ALSO are given the SAME ODDS as everyone else who went for reserved? Because everyone who went for reserved, had to wait for all the GA to be distributed, and then all of the people who lost GA were put into the reserved pool and given the same chance to win reserved?

NO WAY!

Not the same odds as everyone else who went for Reserved because, although you are put back in to the "pot" to possibly be allocated reserved tickets, you are on to your second choice selection at this point. They will first allocate Reserved tickets to those who had it as their #1 selection. So, although you are in the "pot" with everyone else, your chances of getting tickets isn't the same as everyone else in the "pot" for Reserved as there would be a mixture of #1, #2, #3, #4, etc. selections in that pot.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options

JB111896 said:

If you believe that all GA tickets are distributed before any reserved tickets are distributed, you are wrong. If this were the case, then every single person here should chose GA as their 1st options, because they would really have nothing to lose, right? In your scenario, everyone would have an equal chance for GA, and then if they lose GA, then they just get thrown in the pool for reserved seats, again giving everyone an equal chance. Is that how you believe the lottery to work?

People who choose GA with their first and Reserved with their second pick do have something to lose. If they don't get picked for GA they can't get reserved unless there's more reserved tickets available than people who picked reserved as their first choice. They are not given an equal chance at reserved seats.
  • Options

JB111896 said:

Yes this is exactly how it works. This is in the ticket FAQ and has been explained by the 10c. Another point to note that seems to confuse people is that the shows are drawn chronologically. This especially affects cities where there are two shows, but you can only be picked for one. Therefore, say you made your picks like this: #1- Philly 2 GA
    #2- Philly 2 reserved
    #3- Philly 1 reserved
    The drawing for Philly 1 happens before the drawing for Philly 2. Therefore, if reserved seats for Philly 1 went all the way to people's 3rd priority you could face a scenario where you win those seats and your #1 and #2 picks are eliminated before the drawing for Philly 2 even happens, because you can only win tickets to one of those two shows.

What you're suggesting is possible, but I have confidence that the Ten Club is smart enough to do the drawings for all the GA shows first before doing any drawings for reserved seating. That would eliminate the possibility of your scenario from happening. Of course if they choose chronologically and someone picks Philly 2 GA with their first pick and Philly 1 GA as their second pick and there weren't enough people who picked Philly 1 GA with their first picks it would be possible for this person to win Philly 1 GA with their second pick eliminating them from the opportunity to win Philly 2 with their first choice. However with Philly and New York being as popular as they are, there will probably be more people picking those shows as their first pick than tickets available so this probably wouldn't happen.
    If you believe that all GA tickets are distributed before any reserved tickets are distributed, you are wrong. If this were the case, then every single person here should chose GA as their 1st options, because they would really have nothing to lose, right? In your scenario, everyone would have an equal chance for GA, and then if they lose GA, then they just get thrown in the pool for reserved seats, again giving everyone an equal chance. Is that how you believe the lottery to work?

Now this is the scenario I used in 2013 for Wrigley. And it seemed that most people here agreed with me.

Look at your lottery choice as a Ping-Pong ball.
    Your GA Ping-Pong ball is thrown in a bucket
    The reserved Ping-Pong balls are thrown in a bucket.
    Both drawings begin at the same time.
    Your Ping-Pong ball remains in GA until all GA tickets are distributed, yet at the same time they are drawing GA seats, they are drawing reserved seats.
    Your Ping-Pong ball does not get put into the reserved seat bucket until all GA tickets are gone. And by that time plenty of reserved seats are gone.

In other words, by attempting to get GA seats, knowing you only had a 10% chance of getting them, you also lowered your chances of getting reserved too.

To me, that just makes sense. Right?
    Or do I need to make myself a cup of coffee and get the sleep out of my eyes? Haha

You're right on Speedy with the exception of one thing. The drawings are not happening simultaneously. GA is drawn first, then reserved. Then the next show is done. 10c has confirmed this in the past.
    GA 1st, then rerserved?
    It doesn't seem to make sense to me.
    If you go for GA and lose...You still have the same chance for reserved as everyone else?

Oh wait...If you go for GA and lose...You now have to wait until all people who put in for reserved as their 1st choice, get their tickets, before you are considered....Because now you have reserved as your 2nd CHOICE.....Right?

Your Ping-Pong ball is still dying a slow death, until all the 1st choice reserved are given out.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

JB111896 said:

#2- Philly 2 reserved
    #3- Philly 1 reserved

Now this is the scenario I used in 2013 for Wrigley. And it seemed that most people here agreed with me.

Look at your lottery choice as a Ping-Pong ball.
    Your GA Ping-Pong ball is thrown in a bucket
    The reserved Ping-Pong balls are thrown in a bucket.
    Both drawings begin at the same time.
    Your Ping-Pong ball remains in GA until all GA tickets are distributed, yet at the same time they are drawing GA seats, they are drawing reserved seats.
    Your Ping-Pong ball does not get put into the reserved seat bucket until all GA tickets are gone. And by that time plenty of reserved seats are gone.

In other words, by attempting to get GA seats, knowing you only had a 10% chance of getting them, you also lowered your chances of getting reserved too.

To me, that just makes sense. Right?
    Or do I need to make myself a cup of coffee and get the sleep out of my eyes? Haha

You're right on Speedy with the exception of one thing. The drawings are not happening simultaneously. GA is drawn first, then reserved. Then the next show is done. 10c has confirmed this in the past.
    GA 1st, then rerserved?
    It doesn't seem to make sense to me.
    If you go for GA and lose...You still have the same chance for reserved as everyone else?

Oh wait...If you go for GA and lose...You now have to wait until all people who put in for reserved as their 1st choice, get their tickets, before you are considered....Because now you have reserved as your 2nd CHOICE.....Right?

Your Ping-Pong ball is still dying a slow death, until all the 1st choice reserved are given out.
    Bingo!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Im right. I know I am right. Hahaha

I had to go back and re-read a couple of posts(told you I needed coffee).

As long as everyone realizes that by going for GA and losing, you are also reducing your chances at reserved....BIG TIME! Because there will be PLENTY of folks who have reserved as 1st choice, and each and every one of those people will be given tickets before you are even considered.

Ok.
    I am done here.
    Good Luck everyone!
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,813
    Why do I get the feeling you guys are arguing about the same thing? LOL
  • Options
    amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    edited January 2016
    "random members are drawn."

I had to go thru TM for Milwaukee and St Louis, me and hubby attempted to ballpark the amount of people in the pit. He says 300, lets be generous and say there are 500 people in a GA pit. that is only 250 ticket sales.

so ten club draws 250 names and everyone that made that show GA 1st choice gets it, say 50 people and now their first choice is out. now there are 200 ticket sales left, so put all the names back and draw 200 people. this is round two, so maybe they give only 2nd choice, or they give 1st and 2nd choice. I'm not sure. at the end of the info on ten club it states regardless of the odds, your priority, this is random lottery and you may or may not get tickets.

I don't believe that there aren't at least 250 members that want GA tickets to any given show (maybe a show or two exception) if they take everyone that picked GA 1st priority, say there are 500 people in GA, that's only 250 ticket sales, if 1000 member put in 1st priority, that GA show would ALL go to 1st priority because they have grouped all the 1st priority together and randomly drawn 250 members.

maybe they do 3 rounds for 1st priority. or maybe in the case of 250 tickets sales available they draw 750 members (250x3) and give out 1st priority. then the 2nd draw is given to 2nd priority.

drawing random members and assigning a show is really the only way it's a true lottery. then everyone has the same chance. the odds are calculated that way as well, using all priorities. if they only pick the 1st priority group and draw from that, then everyone does not have an equal chance.

if you have selected 8 shows, you have 8 chances of your name being drawn. if they are on a 1st round, GA draw and your name gets picked, you selected that show with GA as your 1st priority, then you get that show. there is a reason for priority and speculate that it relates to what round draw they are on. if they are on a 3rd draw for GA and your name gets pulled and you have that show as your 3rd pick,then that's how people get GA past the 1st & 2nd priority.

Still not exactly sure how it works, they are very careful with what is on their page, only one sentence with no commas. But it makes more sense, knowing some of the ranking on the past tours and results, that they randomly draw names, in a session of rounds, and assign shows. just my 2cents.
    Post edited by amethgr8 on
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • Options
    PJNB said:

Why do I get the feeling you guys are arguing about the same thing? LOL

Yeah, after my cup of coffee, I realized maybe this guy is actually looking at it the same way I am. Hahahahahaha

Or maybe not.

All I know is, I hope everyone gets to go to at least 1 show. I mean that.
    Tour time is fun. Tour time is why we are all here.
    Good Luck everyone.
  • Options
    amethgr8 said:

Still not exactly sure how it works, they are very careful with what is on their page, only one sentence with no commas. But it makes more sense, knowing some of the ranking on the past tours, that they randomly draw names, in a session of rounds, and assign shows. just my 2cents.

Ten Club tells us exactly how it works. This is copied from their ticket FAQ:

Q: How does the show priority selection factor in to the drawing?
    A: For each show we will randomly draw members who have made that show their #1 priority. If any tickets remain the system will randomly draw names of members who have chosen that show as their #2 priority, and so on until every ticket for a given show has been sold. Please keep in mind that not everyone can have their #1 priority. Priority rank is merely a consideration.
  • Options
    amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    JB- don't you find it hard to believe that there are not at least 250 entries for GA? If I read this correctly, I conclude that all the GA would be gone and never make it to a 5th pick?
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited January 2016
    JB111896 said:

amethgr8 said:

Still not exactly sure how it works, they are very careful with what is on their page, only one sentence with no commas. But it makes more sense, knowing some of the ranking on the past tours, that they randomly draw names, in a session of rounds, and assign shows. just my 2cents.

A: For each show we will randomly draw members who have made that show their #1 priority. If any tickets remain the system will randomly draw names of members who have chosen that show as their #2 priority, and so on until every ticket for a given show has been sold. Please keep in mind that not everyone can have their #1 priority. Priority rank is merely a consideration.
    thats what i assumed, BUT it didn't work that way for me in 2013 for some reason... someone in this thread won Philly 2 reserved with their 8th selection and I lost with that as my #1 selection...

maybe it was just a bug with that show, because apparently a lot of people got tix, but I was shutout as my #1 option? im not complaining, just pointing out I know for 100% fact that this did not happen in my case
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    I put in for Hampton GA...if I dont get em , so what..guarantee there will be time to get tickets later..why sweat the lotto.not getting GA isnt the end of the world...PJ is great from anywhere in the building.
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 753
    my2hands said:

JB111896 said:

amethgr8 said:

thats what i assumed, BUT it didn't work that way for me in 2013 for some reason... someone in this thread won Philly 2 reserved with their 8th selection and I lost with that as my #1 selection...

maybe it was just a bug with that show, because apparently a lot of people got tix, but I was shutout as my #1 option? im not complaining, just pointing out I know for 100% fact that this did not happen in my case
    What were your other selections in this case? Did you win tickets to Philly 1 by chance? That would have eliminated you from winning your first choice because Philly 2 was pulled after Philly 1.
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339

PJ is great from anywhere in the building.

did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    3days3days Posts: 1,152
    Just please remember, if you pick reserved as your first choice, you most likely are not getting GA with your second. By picking GA first, many people have lost and gotten reserved with their second choice.

Remember that lots of people will lose their first choice reserved pick. Picking reserved first is no guarantee that you'll get it, by any stretch of the imagination.

Also, think about the reserved seats that will open automatically due to people winning an alternate show or winning GA or due to selection order. When those things happen, your odds increase, and open up reserved seats at later picks.

It's true that reserved generally has better odds than GA, but for the MSG, Philly, and Toronto shows it isn't remarkably better.

My hope is that people will still try for whatever makes them happiest.

Good luck to everybody!
  • Options
    JB111896JB111896 Posts: 21
    edited January 2016
    amethgr8 said:

JB- don't you find it hard to believe that there are not at least 250 entries for GA? If I read this correctly, I conclude that all the GA would be gone and never make it to a 5th pick?

I actually believe that there's more people in GA so that would mean more entries, but regardless, to answer your question, for this 2016 tour there won't be any GA's with a 5th pick. In 2014 the lowest pick anyone was able to win a GA ticket was for Lincoln with a 3rd pick. 2013 had some results that will never be seen again because Ten Club didn't give us the odds and people didn't understand how the lottery worked at the time. People in the northeast who wanted to go to Brooklyn and a less demanded show listed Brooklyn GA and reserved for both shows first before listing the other less demanded show. Thus, that less demanded city didn't have enough people pick GA with their earlier choices and people were able to get it with a lower priority. As I mentioned earlier Phoenix didn't sell all of it's GA tickets in 2013. If Ten club listed odds to get GA for that show it would have been 99%. Everyone got GA for that show who selected it even if it was with their 7th selection. What happened in 2013 won't happen anymore because people now know how the odds and lottery work.
    Post edited by JB111896 on
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,452
    My favorite thing about these boards is that no one ever over analyzes things.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,882
    edited January 2016
    My other primary consideration in picking GA first is that there is no other way to get GA. I've never had a problem getting seats to an arena show, especially if there's a chance of ending up past half court or behind GA. Need to get away from this board!
    Post edited by given2fly23 on
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547

My other primary consideration in picking GA first is that there is no other way to get GA. I've never had a problem getting seats to an arena show, especially if there's a chance of ending up past half court or behind GA. Need to get away from this board!

Exactly. I am not too concerned about finding tickets to non- MSG shows either on the board or on Ticketmaster/Stubhub. With video screens you can be further back and still see what is going on on the stage.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    edited January 2016
    I view each show as two different shows for purposes of the lottery. You have a GA show and then a reserved show. Each show has a set number of tickets and allocates them to first priority folks at the same time. If tickets are left then people who put second priority have a shot unless they won a ticket in that city already. If any are left after the second round then tickets are allocated to those who put third priority. And so on....
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158

JB111896 said:

#2- Philly 2 reserved
    #3- Philly 1 reserved

Another thing that doesn't make sense with the way you are looking at the lottery....

If they were to draw all GA 1st...For all the shows.

NO WAY!

no..not the same odds,cos people choose seated put them in higher priority than the people put ga and lost
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    waupaca11waupaca11 los angeles Posts: 81
    all good info and it seems to make sense.

I want to do the first 4 FL shows. I'd love to be in GA for one but the safest bets seems to be choose Res for shows #1-#4 and not even try to use a GA choice as it would negatively affect a Res choice down the line.
    1995 Milwaukee
    1998 East Troy, Noblesville
    2000 Los Angeles, San Diego, San Bernardino
    2003 Irvine, San Diego, East Troy
    2006 Milwaukee, Milwaukee, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, Santa Barbara
    2008 LA (Who Tribute)
    2009 LA3, San Diego
    2011 Eddie in Long Beach
    2013 Wrigley
    2014 LA1 & LA2, Milwaukee
    2016 FtL, Miami, Tampa, Jax
    2018 Seattle 2, Missoula
  • Options
    I can't handle this! I'm just going to hide under the covers in my bed until Monday night. This is too stressful. Am I playing the odds right? Did I put the wrong show as my #1 choice? What about my member number? AHHHHHHHHHH
  • Options
    retroponyretropony Myrtle Beach SC Posts: 349
    watching the odds go down is stressing me out.....this is my first time doing the lottery and I only picked 1 show, I just have a feeling this particular show is going to be special.
    Washington DC 2008
    Charlotte NC 2013
    Greenville SC 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

I view each show as two different shows for purposes of the lottery. You have a GA show and then a reserved show. Each show has a set number of tickets and allocates them to first priority folks at the same time. If tickets are left then people who put second priority have a shot unless they won a ticket in that city already. If any are left after the second round then tickets are allocated to those who put third priority. And so on....

That's the best way to look at it, that's how you set your priorities and make your decision.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    photo image_zps7pgyp5dv.jpeg
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Hahaha this thread is funny!
    There are going to be a lot of unhappy people here in the northeast once the lottery is done.
    Four shows in two of the most popular markets with MSG having global demand. i am not even wasting my time trying for Philly or MSG. Debating Hampton reserved or Miami reserved as my first choice. I will be calling in favors for MSG tix or I will bite the bullet and pay whatever.
  • Options
    mdaryamdarya The middle Posts: 68
    Ok, so will ask. First choice at 88% and second at 99%. No reason to change and my chances should be good, right? Not going to try for GA, as wife wouldn't enjoy. Just want to be in the building!
    06 Cincinnati
    10 Columbus, Noblesville
    11 Toronto-1
    13 Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    14 Cincinnati
    16 Lexington, Wrigley 1
    17 EV-Louisville
    18 Rome, Missoula, Wrigley 1, Boston 1
    22 Nasville, STL
    23 Ft Worth 1/2
  • Options
    Pearl34JamPearl34Jam TN Posts: 1,102
    mdarya said:

Ok, so will ask. First choice at 88% and second at 99%. No reason to change and my chances should be good, right? Not going to try for GA, as wife wouldn't enjoy. Just want to be in the building!

I think you'll get them both. But, anything can happen!
    "Must I keep explaining my decisions to you strangers of the Internet?" - Merch tent 8/19/16

'13: 10/27 Baltimore
    '15: 9/26 New York City
    '16: 4/16 Greenville (VS!), 4/26 Lexington, 4/28 Philly, 8/20 Wrigley
    '18: 9/02 Fenway
    '22: 9/16 Nashville
    ’24: 8/26 Noblesville, 9/12 Baltimore