Options

Jenner Woman of the Year

Comments

• Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013

Circle jerks.

Let's all come here to talk about how right we are and how shitty all those other people are.

I was merely pointing out that no one is safe from censorship...here or on FB. If I wanted to talk about how shitty certain people were, I would call them out by name.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

Circle jerks.

Let's all come here to talk about how right we are and how shitty all those other people are.

I was merely pointing out that no one is safe from censorship...here or on FB. If I wanted to talk about how shitty certain people were, I would call them out by name.
    I know. I was adding to it the arrogance that sometimes goes hand in hand with secret Facebook clubs.

I had no problem with your post if that is what you thought.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    ^^^
    What is a secret Facebook club?, honestly

Is it like cliques on this forum?
  • Options
    pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    edited November 2015

I seen that Jenner was named woman of the year. Does anyone think this is a slap in the face of women? Especially since he has not been a she for more than a year. I would think that the two women who went through Ranger School might have been a better choice or someone who did something more than for a publicity stunt. I know that there are more pressing issues in the world but I wanted to know peoples thoughts. I also posted a reply to the Jenner in AET, but I thought it was more appropriate here.

I agree. He hasn't been a woman for even a year. I briefly watched part of a Kardashian episode where before he had the change, in which Kim was at his house approving of outfits. He was talking about how hard it was to find heels in a size 11 or 12, and also how tedious make-up, shaving, waxing, etc.----just how much time goes into looking picture perfect. So atleast he understands and appreciates it. But it still takes more than half a year to EARN what it really means to be a woman. He'll never even have a period or have to go through menopause for Christ's sake! Kudos to him for coming out and spending thousands of dollars on surgeries to live the life he wants, but Woman of the Year?---sorry, no can do.
    Post edited by pickupyourwill on
  • Options

RKCNDY said:

Circle jerks.

I know. I was adding to it the arrogance that sometimes goes hand in hand with secret Facebook clubs.

I had no problem with your post if that is what you thought.
    Thank you for clarifying...I appreciate it.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,648

I seen that Jenner was named woman of the year. Does anyone think this is a slap in the face of women? Especially since he has not been a she for more than a year. I would think that the two women who went through Ranger School might have been a better choice or someone who did something more than for a publicity stunt. I know that there are more pressing issues in the world but I wanted to know peoples thoughts. I also posted a reply to the Jenner in AET, but I thought it was more appropriate here.

I agree. He hasn't been a woman for even a year. I briefly watched part of a Kardashian episode where before he had the change, in which Kim was at his house approving of outfits. He was talking about how hard it was to find heels in a size 11 or 12, and also how tedious make-up, shaving, waxing, etc.----just how much time goes into looking picture perfect. So atleast he understands and appreciates it. But it still takes more than half a year to EARN what it really means to be a woman. He'll never even have a period or have to go through menopause for Christ's sake! Kudos to him for coming out and spending thousands of dollars on surgeries to live the life he wants, but Woman of the Year?---sorry, no can do.
    Just to clarify, Caitlin's been a woman for way more than a year, just out as a woman for six months or however long. Also, she's a public figure, some coming out was going to be public, not a publicity stunt.

If your brother was on a reality show, and you sort of had a ancillary role on his show, but then the producers saw that you were an obsessed Pearl Jam fan and they offered you your own show to feature your cool PJ fandom, would you turn it down?
  • Options
    pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    edited December 2015

Just to clarify, Caitlin's been a woman for way more than a year, just out as a woman for six months or however long. Also, she's a public figure, some coming out was going to be public, not a publicity stunt.

If your brother was on a reality show, and you sort of had a ancillary role on his show, but then the producers saw that you were an obsessed Pearl Jam fan and they offered you your own show to feature your cool PJ fandom, would you turn it down?

I'm not criticizing her reality tv or publicity issues here. I'm making a good point that a true woman goes through periods, painful cramps, labor that tears up her body, menopause, etc. Its just a very bit extreme to offer her an award like that. But I could really care less altogether. Maybe the award actually lies in the extreme nature of her surgery and the lengths one would go to publicly become a woman. I don't know--I'm so confused that some of the girls on here could actually be totally okay with her getting the award. But then like someone on here said, some of the awards shows are really only about what's popular at the time.
    Post edited by pickupyourwill on
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570

I'm not criticizing her reality tv or publicity issues here. I'm making a good point that a true woman goes through periods, painful cramps, labor that tears up her body, menopause, etc. Its just a very bit extreme to offer her an award like that. But I could really care less altogether. Maybe the award actually lies in the extreme nature of her surgery and the lengths one want to publicly become a woman. I don't know--I'm so confused that some of the girls on here could actually be totally okay with her getting the award. But then like someone on here said, some of the awards shows are really only about what's popular at the time.
    I don't feel like a single thing that you listed about what makes someone a true woman is true. As a woman, I completely disagree that things like having your period or cramps or having a baby is what makes a person a true woman.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    PJ_Soul said:

I'm not criticizing her reality tv or publicity issues here. I'm making a good point that a true woman goes through periods, painful cramps, labor that tears up her body, menopause, etc. Its just a very bit extreme to offer her an award like that. But I could really care less altogether. Maybe the award actually lies in the extreme nature of her surgery and the lengths one want to publicly become a woman. I don't know--I'm so confused that some of the girls on here could actually be totally okay with her getting the award. But then like someone on here said, some of the awards shows are really only about what's popular at the time.
    I don't feel like a single thing that you listed about what makes someone a true woman is true. As a woman, I completely disagree that things like having your period or cramps or having a baby is what makes a person a true woman.
    so what does?

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

so what does?

PJ_Soul said:

so what does?

100% what the brain identifies as.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

so what does?

PJ_Soul said:

so what does?

that's what I thought you'd say (and I agree).

but I don't think pickupyourwill was trying to marginilize anyone. I think he was just saying that Jenner didn't maybe necessarily "deserve" the title of "woman" as Jenner hasn't had to deal with all the issues that most women deal with daily.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

so what does?

PJ_Soul said:

so what does?

Hey Soul, how's it going? I'm going to ask a question based on your answer of 100% what the brain identifies as. In no way does my post reflect my opinion of the topic, I'm asking because I just want to see the reply.

I'm watching SpongeBob square pants right now with the kids. Let's say I watch this over and over and over and my brain starts to tell me I'm SpongeBob. I start to act like him and laugh like him. I do this enough out in public and I imagine some folks will think I'm crazy.

1) if my brain tells me I'm SpongeBob am I?

2) if you saw a co-worker acting like SpongeBob would you think they're going nuts?

I asked number 2 because I'm fairly certain I read Caitlyn had mental issues a few pages back.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    If the award was 'Person of the Year' would as many people be so upset?
    If I remember correctly, Jenner still plays golf at his club on the men's course, why not play on the women's course? Is it that different? Why do they have to segregate the courses? (I don't play golf, but the interview I saw made it seem like women are not allowed on the men's course, to keep it a 'boy's club')

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

so what does?

PJ_Soul said:

so what does?

Hey Soul, how's it going? I'm going to ask a question based on your answer of 100% what the brain identifies as. In no way does my post reflect my opinion of the topic, I'm asking because I just want to see the reply.

I'm watching SpongeBob square pants right now with the kids. Let's say I watch this over and over and over and my brain starts to tell me I'm SpongeBob. I start to act like him and laugh like him. I do this enough out in public and I imagine some folks will think I'm crazy.

2) if you saw a co-worker acting like SpongeBob would you think they're going nuts?

I asked number 2 because I'm fairly certain I read Caitlyn had mental issues a few pages back.
    Having human brain identify as male and female are naturally occurring events in nature. Brains/bodies will get mixed up. Same with sexual orientation.

If you have trouble grasping this, let us know at what age and or event, you chose your orientation or gender.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

so what does?

PJ_Soul said:

so what does?

That would be cool having a human spongebob running around.
    A woman spongeboob would be even cooler.
    Wonder if she would wear a coconut bra?
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    callen said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

so what does?

PJ_Soul said:

so what does?

Having human brain identify as male and female are naturally occurring events in nature. Brains/bodies will get mixed up. Same with sexual orientation.

If you have trouble grasping this, let us know at what age and or event, you chose your orientation or gender.
    Ok
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    edited December 2015

callen said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

so what does?

PJ_Soul said:

so what does?

Ok
    Well yeah, I basically agree with what Callen said. Your brain identifies you as a male, right in line with your male body. Mine identifies me at a woman. My body fits the bill too. Caitlyn's brain identifies her as a woman, but WHOOPS. Wrong damn body. Being transgendered isn't the same as being gay. Being gay isn't something wrong. Being transgendered means that something is wrong: the brain and the body aren't jiving. Transitioning is the attempt to fix that problem, and since you can't fix the brain (and wouldn't want to try), changing the body is the best option. I can't really speak to your SpongeBob analogy.... I can't compare the two at all. In the case of transgendered people we're talking about a disconnect between brain and body. The person is still the same person. They know they are the same person. Their personality isn't altered just because they transition. But in the case of thinking you're SpongeBob, there is a disconnect between brain and reality. In other words, you're talking about insanity, which being transgendered certainly is not. They aren't comparable.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

so what does?

PJ_Soul said:

so what does?

that's what I thought you'd say (and I agree).

but I don't think pickupyourwill was trying to marginilize anyone. I think he was just saying that Jenner didn't maybe necessarily "deserve" the title of "woman" as Jenner hasn't had to deal with all the issues that most women deal with daily.

Thank you HughFreakingDillon--that is what I was getting at. And I'm a she btw. Good for Jenner and her transgender. I watched her interview with Barbara Walters or whoever the reporter was. I cheered on the sidelines as she became the woman she always thought she was born to be. So sorry that I make one objection to something that didn't sound quite right. And sorry if I offended some girls on here for not sticking up for women. The media has been on this good for Caitlyn trip, lets make her transition smooth-trip , lets glorify her as a woman of the year. I am one of the most open-minded people you will ever meet in your life. I wasn't going against transgender issues or pointing out silly details about feminine hygeine. There was actually a genuine point to be made. But its probably lost beyond all the millionares of the world who chose to give her that award and all the shallow people in the entertainment industry. I shouldn't have wasted so much of my time on a petty subject as this.
  • Options
    Let's keep in the mind that the award if from Glamour magazine. It's not like it's the Nobel woman of the year award or anything. It's from a stupid fashion magazine.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Let's keep in the mind that the award if from Glamour magazine. It's not like it's the Nobel woman of the year award or anything. It's from a stupid fashion magazine.

so are you saying you'd have a different opinion if the award had actual merit in your eyes?

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited December 2015

PJ_Soul said:

so are you saying you'd have a different opinion if the award had actual merit in your eyes?

Well no, I said it for the sake of those who are offended by it.... Trying to point out how pointless it is to bother being offended. ;) However, if it WERE some mega award like that - something that actually might be considered to have real meaning internationally - I would object to the choice simply for the fact that I wouldn't feel like she's done enough or had enough impact on the world to warrant such an award. It would have nothing to do with her status as a woman.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

That's a good point. I think I got a little carried away in my rant. Maybe I'm suffering from pms...? Who knows...anyway. In the light of this current mass shooting, I am reminded that there is no room for anger and hate in the world. So peace to all on here during this holiday season.
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    Caitlyn killed someone in a car accident and is a Kartrashian. Why are people so stupid?
  • Options

Caitlyn killed someone in a car accident and is a Kartrashian. Why are people so stupid?

This is the issue I have with Jenner winning her award. Woman or man, Jenner isn't exactly a standup human being. If the question of her gender was off the table most people would be appalled at the thought of giving such a selfish and self-absorbed individual any sort of award. Jenner may be a woman but she's a pretty lousy one. If people are really about gender and social equality than shouldn't the character of the individual count for something?
  • Options

This is the issue I have with Jenner winning her award. Woman or man, Jenner isn't exactly a standup human being. If the question of her gender was off the table most people would be appalled at the thought of giving such a selfish and self-absorbed individual any sort of award. Jenner may be a woman but she's a pretty lousy one. If people are really about gender and social equality than shouldn't the character of the individual count for something?
    This is where one would state that one should be open minded but not so open that their brain falls out.
    Liberalism is a disease.
  • Options

This is where one would state that one should be open minded but not so open that their brain falls out.
    Liberalism is a disease.
    The so-called liberalism you're describing is just one form of hyper partisan b.s.. Conservatism really isn't all that different.
  • Options
    CH156378CH156378 Posts: 1,539
    Hi
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

so what does?

PJ_Soul said:

so what does?

From now on refer to me as a cat. 100% serious, no kidding.

*meow*
  • Options

Thank you.

Meow
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

so what does?

PJ_Soul said:

so what does?

From now on refer to me as a cat. 100% serious, no kidding.

*meow*
    Do you realize how insulting that is? For decades bigots have linked homosexuality with bestiality, and done so with the intent of conveying the deepest insult possible.
    I understand that isn't exactly what is happening here, but it is in a similar enough vein to be offensive, on top of being idiotic.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?