Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options

And Hugh... I'm a proud Canadian as well. It was weird to hear you gush about us. Typically speaking... Canadians don't thump their chests too much.

I'm not saying don't do it. I'm just saying it is uncommon.

it's more of a feeling of thanks than it is thumping my chest. i'm not that type of person at all.
    I understood that. It's all good.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,848

And Hugh... I'm a proud Canadian as well. It was weird to hear you gush about us. Typically speaking... Canadians don't thump their chests too much.

I'm not saying don't do it. I'm just saying it is uncommon.

it's more of a feeling of thanks than it is thumping my chest. i'm not that type of person at all.
    HFD
    Sometimes you just have to admit out loud and be proud where you are from.
    Not all the time like the Americans :wink:
    honestly, I find national pride to be quite ridiculous. why be proud of my geographical birth location? that doesn't make any sense to me. I am just thankful that our electoral system isn't a global joke that costs trillions of dollars to choose between a crook and a child rapist.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Kind of makes Harper not so bad...hahahahahaha
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

no question about it. but what I am also impressed with is our lack of partisanship in canada. trudeau won by a landslide. you don't ever see a landslide in the states in modern times. too much partisan entrenchment, no matter how much of an idiot their candidate is. it's always 50/50.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Well Trudeau only had 39% of the vote, so 61% of voters saw him as not suitable, and broken down further it likely far less of eligible voters...and yes in our out dated system he won a majority of the seats. Thats why I think he back tracking on election reform, if election reform comes about he'd likely lose the power he enjoys...I originally figured he'd easily get 2 terms, i just recently read that he losing the millennials and they were a major reason he won the majority of seats.
    Post edited by lukin2006 on
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,833
    lukin2006 said:

Well Trudeau only had 39% of the vote, so 61% of voters saw him as not suitable, and broken down further it likely far less of edible voters...and yes in our out dated system he won a majority of the seats. Thats why I think he back tracking on election reform, if election reform comes about he'd likely lose the power he enjoys...I originally figured he'd easily get 2 terms, i just recently read that he losing the millennials and they were a major reason he won the majority of seats.

Jesus, I'm not voting anywhere near you!
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

lukin2006 said:

no question about it. but what I am also impressed with is our lack of partisanship in canada. trudeau won by a landslide. you don't ever see a landslide in the states in modern times. too much partisan entrenchment, no matter how much of an idiot their candidate is. it's always 50/50.
    Great point.
  • Options

lukin2006 said:

Well Trudeau only had 39% of the vote, so 61% of voters saw him as not suitable, and broken down further it likely far less of edible voters...and yes in our out dated system he won a majority of the seats. Thats why I think he back tracking on election reform, if election reform comes about he'd likely lose the power he enjoys...I originally figured he'd easily get 2 terms, i just recently read that he losing the millennials and they were a major reason he won the majority of seats.

Jesus, I'm not voting anywhere near you!
    hahaha...typo

• Options
    I'm just glad our elections aren't bat shit crazy and don't last 4 years, you think its over November 8 th, just wonder how long it'll be before the news starts the speculation who will be representing the republicans in 4 years.

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

Well Trudeau only had 39% of the vote, so 61% of voters saw him as not suitable, and broken down further it likely far less of eligible voters...and yes in our out dated system he won a majority of the seats. Thats why I think he back tracking on election reform, if election reform comes about he'd likely lose the power he enjoys...I originally figured he'd easily get 2 terms, i just recently read that he losing the millennials and they were a major reason he won the majority of seats.

39% is high with 3 major parties and 2 other minor parties. that IS a majority win.

i love edible voters. tasty.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

lukin2006 said:

39% is high with 3 major parties and 2 other minor parties. that IS a majority win.

Good point...to bad that third party never gets a chance to govern, surely they can do the job and maybe even start to expand our social programs, instead of cut...

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

lukin2006 said:

Good point...to bad that third party never gets a chance to govern, surely they can do the job and maybe even start to expand our social programs, instead of cut...

i have voted ndp in the past, but i couldn't stand mulcair. one of things in canadian politics, on the flip side of american partisanship where the leader makes no difference, i can't vote for a party where the leader is a douche. i didn't like mulcair at all. trudeau was the only choice to me in this election. another 4 of harper would have been terrible.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    'My life is a nightmare': Windsor man, 27, wants legally assisted death

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/assisted-dying-mentally-ill-1.3829839

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

'My life is a nightmare': Windsor man, 27, wants legally assisted death

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/assisted-dying-mentally-ill-1.3829839

that's a tough one.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,630
    edited November 2016

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

I agree he's never getting out, its the families the should not have to go through these proceedings. I would have no problem with life throw away the key...

They could, of course, not attend and request that they not even be notified of such proceedings. Still not fair, but just sayin'.
    They could, of course, not have to attend because the asshole is rotting in the ground after he received a sentence of death like he deserved. Very fair given his offences... just sayin'.

These people are heavily invested. Their children were taken from them in the most horrific manner imaginable.
    No they couldn't. Canada and literally the rest of the entire Western world besides America doesn't have the death penalty because they understand that good people are better than the murderers.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

I agree he's never getting out, its the families the should not have to go through these proceedings. I would have no problem with life throw away the key...

They could, of course, not attend and request that they not even be notified of such proceedings. Still not fair, but just sayin'.
    They could, of course, not have to attend because the asshole is rotting in the ground after he received a sentence of death like he deserved. Very fair given his offences... just sayin'.

These people are heavily invested. Their children were taken from them in the most horrific manner imaginable.
    No they couldn't. Canada and literally the rest of the entire Western world besides America doesn't have the death penalty because they understand that good people are better than the murderers.
    Yah. And they got it figured out, eh? Shall I point out all the things that Canada and the rest of the entire western world don't have figured out?

We aren't the beacons of social success if that's what you've implied.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

Yah. And they got it figured out, eh? Shall I point out all the things that Canada and the rest of the entire western world don't have figured out?

So you think Saudi Arabia, China, North Korea, Iran, America, et al have it figured out? I assume you don't. If you look at the countries that do use the death penalty and at those that don't, it is pretty clear that most of the more socially successful nations in terms of human rights as well as standards of living and crime rates do not use it. That means something whether you want it to or not.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

So you think Saudi Arabia, China, North Korea, Iran, America, et al have it figured out? I assume you don't. If you look at the countries that do use the death penalty and at those that don't, it is pretty clear that most of the more socially successful nations in terms of human rights as well as standards of living and crime rates do not use it. That means something whether you want it to or not.
    Sure. But who cares? I'm saying that just because we have abolished the death penalty... that doesn't mean we got it figured out.

Whether you care to admit it or not... the natural consequence for murdering children isn't a comfy prison cell with conjugal visits and such (remember the last case we discussed where psycho got knocked up having some good old sex while serving a sentence for murdering someone?). The natural consequence for such a grievous offence is death and that doesn't make people who acknowledge such barbaric... it makes them pragmatic- a quality lost around here sometimes.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

Sure. But who cares? I'm saying that just because we have abolished the death penalty... that doesn't mean we got it figured out.

Whether you care to admit it or not... the natural consequence for murdering children isn't a comfy prison cell with conjugal visits and such (remember the last case we discussed where psycho got knocked up having some good old sex while serving a sentence for murdering someone?). The natural consequence for such a grievous offence is death and that doesn't make people who acknowledge such barbaric... it makes them pragmatic- a quality lost around here sometimes.
    Natural consequence?? That makes no sense. Natural according to what or whom?
    Life in prison is pragmatic The death penalty is indeed barbarism, and all about emotions and revenge. That doesn't seem very pragmatic to me.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

oh, not this again. argh. I'm not going to comm......ent........arrrgh........OKAY.

the system being imperfect does not equal to the death penalty being necessary. Jesus. natural consequences apply to children, not to extreme cases of violence. they don't exist. not in our world. not in a world I wish to live in. if that's the case:

-we should rape rapists (are you going to do that? is there a university course that is going to provide a "raping the rapists" course? who decides the grading system? who is qualified to be the professor? a former rapist? or a former rapist rapist?)
    -we should break into the homes and steal the tv's of burglers (who gets the tv? does the insurance company have to pay for that too? can you even buy natural consequence insurance in your world?)
    -we should smack a kid who smacks his sister
    -we should cut off the genitals of pedophiles (I know you probably think this is actually what should be done)

if a 6 year old intentionally kills his baby sister, would you want the death penalty for him? if not, why? if so, why? and don't give me the "studies show that people under 12 can't form intent", because from your past posts, evil is evil is evil, and you can't tell me evil age discriminates, does it?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-newborn-killed-by-brother-mother-charged-20160812-story.html
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

Life if prison is pragmatic The death penalty is indeed barbarism, and all about emotions and revenge. That doesn't seem very pragmatic to me.
    Well let me try and illustrate it for you:

If you rape and murder children... you deserve a sentence that differs from someone who robbed a convenience store or sold drugs.

We have placed a ceiling on punishment, but the sky is the limit for crime. How is that 'pragmatic'?
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

Life if prison is pragmatic The death penalty is indeed barbarism, and all about emotions and revenge. That doesn't seem very pragmatic to me.

If you rape and murder children... you deserve a sentence that differs from someone who robbed a convenience store or sold drugs.

We have placed a ceiling on punishment, but the sky is the limit for crime. How is that 'pragmatic'?
    people who sell drugs or rob a convenience store have never gotten life in prison. come on.

why stop at death then? that's a ceiling too! we should mutilate their dead bodies in public in front of their children and call it a learning tool.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

oh, not this again. argh. I'm not going to comm......ent........arrrgh........OKAY.

the system being imperfect does not equal to the death penalty being necessary. Jesus. natural consequences apply to children, not to extreme cases of violence. they don't exist. not in our world. not in a world I wish to live in. if that's the case:

-we should rape rapists (are you going to do that? is there a university course that is going to provide a "raping the rapists" course? who decides the grading system? who is qualified to be the professor? a former rapist? or a former rapist rapist?)
    -we should break into the homes and steal the tv's of burglers (who gets the tv? does the insurance company have to pay for that too? can you even buy natural consequence insurance in your world?)
    -we should smack a kid who smacks his sister
    -we should cut off the genitals of pedophiles (I know you probably think this is actually what should be done)

if a 6 year old intentionally kills his baby sister, would you want the death penalty for him? if not, why? if so, why? and don't give me the "studies show that people under 12 can't form intent", because from your past posts, evil is evil is evil, and you can't tell me evil age discriminates, does it?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-newborn-killed-by-brother-mother-charged-20160812-story.html
    Come on, Hugh.

Are we playing this game? Okay. You clearly think raping and murdering children is an offence along the lines of dealing drugs or stealing a car- jail time.

A death sentence is perfectly fine for a shithead like Bernardo. If you think he deserves less for such... that's your prerogative.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

people who sell drugs or rob a convenience store have never gotten life in prison. come on.

why stop at death then? that's a ceiling too! we should mutilate their dead bodies in public in front of their children and call it a learning tool.
    Funny you say this. Murderers never get life in prison either. Come on.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Child rapists and murderers don't get the same sentence as someone who robbed a convenience store or sold drugs, and robbers and drug dealers don't get life in prison without the possibility of parole for 25 years. Wtf are you talking about? The point of the justice system is to protect the public. Life is prison accomplishes that. Murdering murderers doesn't increase our safety beyond putting them in prison for life, and it doesn't deter such crimes either. If anything, it increases the dangers to the public by putting everyone at risk of being wrongfully accused and then murdered by the government. The DP is solely an act of vengeance (which is never pragmatic). The government is not in the revenge business, nor should it be.

What is up with the quoting today???? It's so fucked up)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

?
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

?
    Fucking quote feature isn't working and messing up all the posts.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Child rapists and murderers don't get the same sentence as someone who robbed a convenience store or sold drugs, and robbers and drug dealers don't get life in prison without the possibility of parole for 25 years. Wtf are you talking about? The point of the justice system is to protect the public. Life is prison accomplishes that. Murdering murderers doesn't increase our safety beyond putting them in prison for life, and it doesn't deter such crimes either. If anything, it increases the dangers to the public by putting everyone at risk of being wrongfully accused and then murdered by the government. The DP is solely an act of vengeance (which is never pragmatic). The government is not in the revenge business, nor should it be.

What is up with the quoting today???? It's so fucked up)

The point of the justice system is to serve justice. Wtf are you talking about?

Not death. No. Instead... cash for bodies, best cancer treatment money can buy, segregation for protection, cable television, fresh laundry, and 'life like' sex dolls for Clifford Olsen. Yes. Yes. I'm hearing you!

And, as I have successfully pointed out numerous times... murdering murderers does safeguard the public- they cannot murder again (as murderers have done periodically).
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

Funny you say this. Murderers never get life in prison either. Come on.
    sure they do. life in prison, as defined by the criminal code of canada, means not eligible for parole for 25 years.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com