Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:
    Key excerpts from the two pieces:

* 33% of 'lifers' granted full parole by boards in 2013-14.

Hardly life.

* Life without parole protects the public by permanently separating heinous killers from law-abiding Canadians. According to the Parole Board of Canada, long-term follow-up of 1886 convicted murderers who were granted parole during a 14-year period (1994 to 2008) found that 13 per cent breached their parole conditions, 6 per cent committed non-violent offences and 3 per cent committed violent offences.

Not fantastic for the hard liners' perspective, but not too shabby for the liberal fluffs (I mean... it wasn't too many innocents harmed as we tried so hard to let killers try again, eh?).

* Take last week’s police announcement of a Canada-wide arrest warrant for Francis Patrick Clancy, who was picked up by Victoria police on Monday. He was granted parole while serving a life sentence for murdering an innocent young man by smashing his face repeatedly with an axe. Shockingly, he was assessed as a “moderate high risk for general and violent offending” just prior to being day-paroled. Police had warned the public that Clancy was violent and not to approach him.

Just give him space and tread carefully around him... alright? And for gawd's sakes... don't let him have an axe.
    Liberal fluffs??? That's what you call people who are simply against the DP? What do I call you then? Blood-thirsty?
    I have always sided 100% with you about how sentences can be too light or otherwise fucked up in Canada. It's ridiculous. My only argument is that the DP isn't the solution to this.
    No.

Liberal fluffs as in those people that think our penal system rocks and that we need to be releasing hardened murderers into the mainstream.
    I'm sorry, did I miss a conversation that just happened here about that? I thought we were talking about the DP.....
    I personally don't know a single person who thinks the Canadian penal system "rocks". Literally no one. I know someone... is it digin? Or something else? Thinks that the problems are a very small minority of cases, and besides that, everybody here and every person I have ever spoken about it with, and everybody on social media, is well aware that sometimes sentences handed down by judges are a joke. So who are all these "liberal fluffs" who support light sentences? Can you direct me to a place where this is evident? Because they don't exist in my world (which is jam packed with liberal thinkers), and I'm curious about who the fuck these fluffs are.
    Actually... the latest string of comments have been spawned by the introduction of Bernardo and his parole hearing.

You don't know who I speak of? They're out there. They've written our country's penal code.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,572

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

Hardly life.

* Life without parole protects the public by permanently separating heinous killers from law-abiding Canadians. According to the Parole Board of Canada, long-term follow-up of 1886 convicted murderers who were granted parole during a 14-year period (1994 to 2008) found that 13 per cent breached their parole conditions, 6 per cent committed non-violent offences and 3 per cent committed violent offences.

Not fantastic for the hard liners' perspective, but not too shabby for the liberal fluffs (I mean... it wasn't too many innocents harmed as we tried so hard to let killers try again, eh?).

* Take last week’s police announcement of a Canada-wide arrest warrant for Francis Patrick Clancy, who was picked up by Victoria police on Monday. He was granted parole while serving a life sentence for murdering an innocent young man by smashing his face repeatedly with an axe. Shockingly, he was assessed as a “moderate high risk for general and violent offending” just prior to being day-paroled. Police had warned the public that Clancy was violent and not to approach him.

Just give him space and tread carefully around him... alright? And for gawd's sakes... don't let him have an axe.
    Liberal fluffs??? That's what you call people who are simply against the DP? What do I call you then? Blood-thirsty?
    I have always sided 100% with you about how sentences can be too light or otherwise fucked up in Canada. It's ridiculous. My only argument is that the DP isn't the solution to this.
    No.

Liberal fluffs as in those people that think our penal system rocks and that we need to be releasing hardened murderers into the mainstream.
    I'm sorry, did I miss a conversation that just happened here about that? I thought we were talking about the DP.....
    I personally don't know a single person who thinks the Canadian penal system "rocks". Literally no one. I know someone... is it digin? Or something else? Thinks that the problems are a very small minority of cases, and besides that, everybody here and every person I have ever spoken about it with, and everybody on social media, is well aware that sometimes sentences handed down by judges are a joke. So who are all these "liberal fluffs" who support light sentences? Can you direct me to a place where this is evident? Because they don't exist in my world (which is jam packed with liberal thinkers), and I'm curious about who the fuck these fluffs are.
    Actually... the latest string of comments have been spawned by the introduction of Bernardo and his parole hearing.

You don't know who I speak of? They're out there. They've written our country's penal code.
    Yeah, I know, I was the one who reminded you that the conversation started with Bernardo, but I mean that the conversation lead to us discussing the DP, since the premise with Bernardo is that he will never ever get out of prison, so you took it to the only possible next level - the DP.

Alright, so the answer is that you in fact do not know a single person who thinks light sentences for serious violent crimes rock. Got it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Must be some kind of single day post record in the Canadian thread ...hahahaha

Thirty, if you think your going to see tougher sentences with Trudeau at the helm...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

Thirty, if you think your going to see tougher sentences with Trudeau at the helm...

I actually don't feel that "upper management" is responsible for most of the too-light sentences. Not directly, anyway. The judges are responsible for it. Where politicians come is with funding for the court and prison systems (and don't forget this is also on a provincial level - believe it or not, it's not all Trudeau's fault, lol. who somehow just hasn't managed to rearrange the entire criminal justice and penal system during his first year in office. :lol: Hey, Harper couldn't do it in 10, right? ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

Hardly life.

No.

Yeah, I know, I was the one who reminded you that the conversation started with Bernardo, but I mean that the conversation lead to us discussing the DP, since the premise with Bernardo is that he will never ever get out of prison, so you took it to the only possible next level - the DP.

Alright, so the answer is that you in fact do not know a single person who thinks light sentences for serious violent crimes rock. Got it.
    Typical... she forgets that she pushed the envelope a bit when she suggested: They could, of course, not attend and request that they not even be notified of such proceedings. Still not fair, but just sayin'. In other words... get over it... which prompted a comment from me suggesting a different alternative to 'getting over it'.

To your snide comment... outside of the people who have written our country's penal code (which I already answered and you obviously missed), the people who consistently vouch for its awesomeness, and many who sit on our parole boards? I'll take the fifth.

Have a nice day. Oh. And watch out for the axe murderer who's been paroled. He's apparently a risk.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

Hardly life.

No.

Typical... she forgets that she pushed the envelope a bit when she suggested: They could, of course, not attend and request that they not even be notified of such proceedings. Still not fair, but just sayin'. In other words... get over it... which prompted a comment from me suggesting a different alternative to 'getting over it'.

To your snide comment... outside of the people who have written our country's penal code (which I already answered and you obviously missed), the people who consistently vouch for its awesomeness, and many who sit on our parole boards? I'll take the fifth.

Have a nice day. Oh. And watch out for the axe murderer who's been paroled. He's apparently a risk.
    Whoooaaaa. You interpreted that at "get over it?" Well that is quite the leap, and not in ANY way what I meant or said, and have never said anything that would even come close to suggesting that I would ever think such a thing. Maybe you should stop making such wild assumptions about folks, and you won't be under the illusion that a bunch of people love light sentences for violent offenders.
  • Options
    Well what did you mean by offering it? You qualified it weakly after by saying it wasn't really fair and 'just saying', but how should someone interpret it other than the way I did given how you presented it?
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Well what did you mean by offering it? You qualified it weakly after by saying it wasn't really fair and 'just saying', but how should someone interpret it other than the way I did given how you presented it?

I actually specifically added the "still not fair, just sayin'" line to note that I don't think they should just get over it, because I was worried someone might misinterpret the comment as an opinion. I guess I should have made it a stronger statement for someone like you (surprisingly, really by now I would think you'd know my stance about this better than you apparently do), but thought people would take it for what it was worth, i.e. that I think it's not fair that those are their only choices, but that's unfortunately the case.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    I'm just hyper sensitive on this issue, Soul.

I realize I come across as obnoxious and overbearing at times with this subject, but it's one of those things that brings out the worst... and best of me.

I sincerely mean have a nice day. And I sarcastically warn you to watch yourself when you're around one of those lifer parolees- especially the axe murdering guy (they say he's a risk to the public while granting him parole anyway)!
  • Options

I'm just hyper sensitive on this issue, Soul.

I realize I come across as obnoxious and overbearing at times with this subject, but it's one of those things that brings out the worst... and best of me.

I sincerely mean have a nice day. And I sarcastically warn you to watch yourself when you're around one of those lifer parolees- especially the axe murdering guy (they say he's a risk to the public while granting him parole anyway)!

:peace:
    (few things piss me off more than when I see those all-to-frequent news items about the violent guy who has been deemed a high risk to reoffend being released into the community... seems like it happens on a weekly basis just in Vancouver, and that's only what hits the news/social media)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

I actually don't feel that "upper management" is responsible for most of the too-light sentences. Not directly, anyway. The judges are responsible for it. Where politicians come is with funding for the court and prison systems (and don't forget this is also on a provincial level - believe it or not, it's not all Trudeau's fault, lol. who somehow just hasn't managed to rearrange the entire criminal justice and penal system during his first year in office. :lol: Hey, Harper couldn't do it in 10, right? ;)
    Lol
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

Lol
    Care to elaborate?
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    All this talk about Bernardo reminds me of something I heard on the radio around the time of his trial (or sentencing, sorry, can't recall exactly).

The local classic rock station used to run a talk show during the lunch hour, and one day the topic was that waste of breath. Somehow (and in all honesty, I'm not sure if it was a prank call) they had a caller from Kingston Penitentiary, where Bernardo was being kept at the time. I forget who the caller was, but he was in general population, calling with a message for those in the segregation unit. What it boiled down to was the caller acknowledged that those in segregation were there because if they were in genpop the other inmates would likely kill them. However, if any of the segregated could help the genpop inmates get to Bernardo, they'd be safe for the rest of their sentence.

I'm guessing the offer still stands, and I have to admit to some disappointment that it hasn't happened...yet. I can count on one hand the people whose deaths would bring me joy, and Bernardo's one of them (Homolka and Bin Laden are the only others from my lifetime).

One of the recent stories I saw pointed out that Bernardo's been designated a dangerous offender, which is the main reason he'll (presumably) die behind bars.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Post edited by lukin2006 on

• Options
    Our countries will work together. Trump and Trudeau
    TnT
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-trump-canada-us-relations-1.3843142

Canada has no closer friend, partner, and ally than the United States. We look forward to working very closely with president-elect Trump, his administration, and with the United States Congress in the years ahead, including on issues such as trade, investment, and international peace and security," Trudeau said in a statement.
  • Options
    Our former PM sent his congrats to Donald.
    https://twitter.com/stephenharper?ref_src=twsrc^tfw
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835

Shocking. Misogynysts of a feather.....
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited November 2016

Huh? You're comparing Trudeau to Trump now in terms of misogyny? You okay?
    EDIT: Sorry!! I missed the "former" part. :lol: I was like, whaaaa? HFD? Buddy? ;)
    (but to be fair to Harper, he wasn't anywhere near as bad as Trump either, but that he sent congrats when he isn't kind of obligated to is pretty damn telling. God I hate that guy)
  • Options

Our countries will work together. Trump and Trudeau
    TnT
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-trump-canada-us-relations-1.3843142

Canada has no closer friend, partner, and ally than the United States. We look forward to working very closely with president-elect Trump, his administration, and with the United States Congress in the years ahead, including on issues such as trade, investment, and international peace and security," Trudeau said in a statement.

I must say, I admired Trudeau's restraint when he kept getting asked about his thoughts about Trump during the campaign. Many world leaders didn't show that kind of restraint. It did occur to me that he was being a wuss by doing that, but pretty quickly decided that he was simply being prudent. Until last night I thought it was unnecessary prudence, however mature, but unfortunately it was necessary after all (and no, him trashing Trump would not have been a more upstanding option, since I know someone or other would have likely suggested that).
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Huh? You're comparing Trudeau to Trump now in terms of misogyny? You okay?
    EDIT: Sorry!! I missed the "former" part. :lol: I was like, whaaaa? HFD? Buddy? ;)
    (but to be fair to Harper, he wasn't anywhere near as bad as Trump either, but that he sent congrats when he isn't kind of obligated to is pretty damn telling. God I hate that guy)
    Thats just it. Harper had no official or professional reason to weigh in. So glad he got walloped.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Now I think some of you are just nit picking, big deal Harper offered his congratulations...

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

Now I think some of you are just nit picking, big deal Harper offered his congratulations...

What kind of evangelical Christian thinks he should go out of his way to congratulate a man who sexually assaults women, swears his face off, has 3 wives and cheated on all of them, and lies about being religious? The kind who is as hypocritical as Stephen Harper, that's who! I'm sure he knows about a few wheels that he figures Trump can grease for him and made that call, God and his religious values be damned. :plus_one:
  • Options
    ^^^^^lmfao...

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

Harper is a women-should-be-barefoot-and-pregnant douchebag. Not nitpicking, just not surprised.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Of well, he just offered his congratulations, the same as Clinton and Obama did, I guess Harper didn't get memo that he should live like a hermit to please mighty left...

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

Of well, he just offered his congratulations, the same as Clinton and Obama did, I guess Harper didn't get memo that he should live like a hermit to please mighty left...

Thats not what anyone is saying. Stop with the right v left bullshit. Obama and clinton congratulated him out of respect for the process and professional courtesy. Harper did so as a personal courtesy, which tells me he legitimately is pleased that trump won.

Which i find disgusting as the former leader of my country.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited November 2016
    lukin2006 said:

What are you talking about? He's not the PM anymore, and he retired from politics. He did this as a private citizen. The only reason I can imagine he'd do that is because it benefits him personally somehow, to have a connection with Trump, and he's finally got a somewhat legit reason to contact the guy. There must be money to be made, or he is trying to still have political influence by setting up connections for his political friends who are still active. If he just did it out of the goodness of his heart or because he couldn't resist because he's so happy Trump won, then he's an even bigger scumbag than I thought, lol.
  • Options

lukin2006 said:

Thats not what anyone is saying. Stop with the right v left bullshit. Obama and clinton congratulated him out of respect for the process and professional courtesy. Harper did so as a personal courtesy, which tells me he legitimately is pleased that trump won.

This election seems to have you stressed, now breath.

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

lukin2006 said:

Yeah, equal rights are a pesky thing, but they are important to me.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

lukin2006 said:

lukin2006 said:

Yeah, equal rights are a pesky thing, but they are important to me.
    No shit. +1