Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844

^^^
    For medicinal purposes I support the legalization.
    Without getting into a giant debate with studies,facts, stats etc I feel that if it is legalized for everyday use we will become an even lazier entitled society.
    Production and general motivation will decrease.
    The liberal plan is anything but - there is no iota of anything to come just a blanket statement that is confusing and without direction.
    Wait a year? For what?
    They need to tell us something more than this.

Well, you're free to give your opinion but it's going to be viewed as fairly limited if you don't want to look at facts and figures.

The evidence from jurisdictions that have legalized or decriminalized doesn't support your position.

I agree that more detail from the federal government on their plan would be helpful.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    ^^^
    I realize about the opinion being fairly limited.
    It's just an opinion. Our current govt doesn't really seem to provide even a remote idea of how this could work.
    I really don't want youth to be able to access pot as easy as cigarettes - legally.
  • Options
    They already can. Both cigarettes and pot will remain illegal for those underage. We all know how well that works.
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited April 2016
    ^^^
    Yeah, it doesn't work to well for those that get addicted from starting underage.
    Typically if you don't pick up the smoking/drinking habit before you become of age you tend to stay away from it in life.
    Becoming addicted to pot at a young age (18) through legal means can't be a good thing.
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087

lukin2006 said:

Until then, police are in limbo
    Keep arresting and giving potheads a record.
    Hang in there potheads, your day will come.
    Police are not in limbo ... the law says unless you got a licence it's still illegal ... however I doubt most police using common sense will not hassle those people who are possessing small amounts...failure for the police to use common sense i suspect many judges will kick the cases.

By the way how many of these cops, crown attorneys and judges have been involved in convicting young people over the years giving them a criminal record ... for what ... a little weed, and how many of those opposed the legalization of an essentially very helpful plant ply themselves with liquor, smoke, eat at fast food restaurants and participate in so many legal, yet cosume these products .. lets not even get into the opiates that are handed out like candy in this country. So do yourself and everyone else a favour ... educate yourself a little, marijuana never was, never will be the harmful plant that some uneducated people's like us to believe ... marijuana is just another example of another distraction the government would like people to focus on instead of the real issues...I support our current liberal government on this 100%...if a little weed legalization bothers you so...thats your problem...

I support full legalization and see it as the best way forward from a public health and social policy point of view. Reducing or eliminating criminal sanctions on drugs has been beneficial in every jurisdiction that has gone in that direction, from Portugal to Uruguay, with significant reductions in harmful use and involvement with the legal system, with all the negatives that implies. However, marijuana isn't harmless. Any substance that is physiologically active enough to provide any benefit also has the potential for harm; there's just no reasonable way to deny that. It comes down to each person making a risk-benefit analysis for themselves, like anything else.

Edit - quotes look to be screwed up again - I've italicized my response.

I support full legalization as well ... only imbeciles want to keep it illegal
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    hedonist said:

^^^
    Without getting into a giant debate with studies,facts, stats etc I feel that if it is legalized for everyday use we will become an even lazier entitled society.
    The liberal plan is anything but - there is no iota of anything to come just a blanket statement that is confusing and without direction.
    Wait a year? For what?

Why not for recreational purposes too? People want to chill with wine or whatever, why not a nice bowl or three?

I've been smoking daily for a damn long time and while our weekends may be fairly lazy as we choose, neither my husband nor I feel / act entitled, we kick ass at work, and live a comfortable life.

If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done!

All those are myths I think. An awful lot has been accomplished by pot head/stoners...I also think those so opposed might be surprised at those who they deal with in daily life are tokers...heheheh
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options

^^^
    Yeah, it doesn't work to well for those that get addicted from starting underage.
    Typically if you don't pick up the smoking/drinking habit before you become of age you tend to stay away from it in life.
    Becoming addicted to pot at a young age (18) through legal means can't be a good thing.

pots non addictive...

tobacco is very addictive...and very legal

• Options
    Part of me still thinks that if it becomes legal many, many workplaces will have a ban on employees smoking it at work.
    I don't think many businesses want their employees going for a 10min joint break.
  • Options
    Pot has only been illegal sine the mid 1930's, why? Maybe some big industry was starting to really grow! This industry was/is fully opposed to people using a potential and very safe healing plant that can be consumed in many ways that people could grow at home...and essentially thats more than likely why it remains illegal...but in the near future it will be very legal...the movement is on.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited April 2016
    lukin2006 said:

hedonist said:

^^^
    Wait a year? For what?

Why not for recreational purposes too? People want to chill with wine or whatever, why not a nice bowl or three?

I've been smoking daily for a damn long time and while our weekends may be fairly lazy as we choose, neither my husband nor I feel / act entitled, we kick ass at work, and live a comfortable life.

All those are myths I think. An awful lot has been accomplished by pot head/stoners...I also think those so opposed might be surprised at those who they deal with in daily life are tokers...heheheh
    Yup! Many of us out there (and in here).

As to the post *edit - now above, who'd be smoking or ingesting it while working or driving for that matter? Apply the same parameters to it being on the job as alcohol and anything else that may impair.
  • Options
    I wonder if we will ever see the day of cigarettes being banned from the workplace during working hours.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

I wonder if we will ever see the day of cigarettes being banned from the workplace during working hours.

In many cases that is exactly what has happened.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Not really,
    An employee can still smoke at lunch, etc and come back.
    There is nothing firm that bans a smoker habit during his/her workday.
  • Options

rgambs said:

Not really,
    An employee can still smoke at lunch, etc and come back.
    There is nothing firm that bans a smoker habit during his/her workday.
    Many jobs have closed campuses to prevent such scenarios
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,305
    edited April 2016
    lukin2006 said:

^^^

pots non addictive...

Anything can be addictive.

I have some friends that smoke pot everyday, and a few admit they are very much addicted to pot. They have at times stopped using pot, which was hard to do....and most end up smoking again.

Pot like anything else can be unhealthy and used as a crutch to make it through the day.

I wonder why it's okay for some to get high everyday (sometimes multiple times a day) but the same people would frown upon other people who get drunk everyday.

But I'm not going to tell someone they can't do it. If you want to get high/drunk everyday, that's your choice.

I think it should be completely legalized. What you do at home is your business. Weed may not be as bad as booze, but let's not pretend that weed is benign.
    Post edited by dignin on
  • Options
    dignin said:

lukin2006 said:

^^^

pots non addictive...

I have some friends that smoke pot everyday, and a few admit they are very much addicted to pot. They have at times stopped using pot, which was hard to do....and most end up smoking again.

Pot like anything else can be unhealthy and used as a crutch to make it through the day.

I wonder why it's okay for some to get high everyday (sometimes multiple times a day) but the same people would frown upon other people who get drunk everyday.

But I'm not going to tell someone they can't do it. If you want to get high/drunk everyday, that's your choice.

I think it should be completely legalized. What you do at home is your business. Weed may not be as bad as booze, but let's not pretend that weed is benign.
    Addicted to pot or addicted to how they feel after smoking it? I've never seen any evidence that suggest pots addictive ... it might be to some.

More and more evidence is surfacing about pots healing benefits ... far more evidence that pot can be beneficial than is harmful.

And should be completely legal to possess and grow for personal consumption ... none of anybodies business.

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

dignin said:

lukin2006 said:

^^^

pots non addictive...

Addicted to pot or addicted to how they feel after smoking it? I've never seen any evidence that suggest pots addictive ... it might be to some.

More and more evidence is surfacing about pots healing benefits ... far more evidence that pot can be beneficial than is harmful.

And should be completely legal to possess and grow for personal consumption ... none of anybodies business.
    To the first point https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_use_disorder

And I agree on your last 2 points, the benefits far outweigh the negatives.
  • Options
    ^^^^ From wiki "Although physical addiction has not been proven,[3] an estimated 9% of those who use cannabis develop dependence".

And I believe I did say some might ... but I highly doubt there is enough evidence to pin point an exact number, Even if the 9% is accurate ... that would be low in my opinion, considering the people addicted to perfectly legal products like tobacco and alcohol are higher. Anyways all that doesn't matter, weed is harmless and more beneficial and should have never been illegal.

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

^^^^ From wiki "Although physical addiction has not been proven,[3] an estimated 9% of those who use cannabis develop dependence".

And I believe I did say some might ... but I highly doubt there is enough evidence to pin point an exact number, Even if the 9% is accurate ... that would be low in my opinion, considering the people addicted to perfectly legal products like tobacco and alcohol are higher. Anyways all that doesn't matter, weed is harmless and more beneficial and should have never been illegal.

Those substances have been proven to be physically addictive, THC has not. Dependence is different from addiction, some can become dependent on practically anything.
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

We're on the same page in regards to this issue. I just wish to say that the people becoming dependent on pot would do so regardless of legality. It's not hard to get. Anyone who wishes to smoke pot simply does. There are no people crossing their fingers and hoping for legalization so that the can 'finally' smoke it.

Legalization is a no-brainer if there ever was one.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    rgambs said:

lukin2006 said:

Those substances have been proven to be physically addictive, THC has not. Dependence is different from addiction, some can become dependent on practically anything.

This was published in The New England Journal of Medicine, no slouch of a peer reviewed journal. It has an impact factor of 55. You need to have all your ducks in a row to be published here. They have found evidence of addiction.

Adverse Health Effects of Marijuana Use
    http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMra1402309

It's still early days and I'm sure many more papers will be written on the subject as weed becomes legal and more readily available and more studies done.
    Post edited by dignin on
  • Options
    I haven't read it, but any addiction to pot is not physical- it's psychological dependence.

And humans have demonstrated that they become psychologically dependent on many things.

The people psychologically dependent on pot are likely proportionate to most other things in life that people cling to.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

I haven't read it, but any addiction to pot is not physical- it's psychological dependence.

And humans have demonstrated that they become psychologically dependent on many things.

The people psychologically dependent on pot are likely proportionate to most other things in life that people cling to.

The authors found both physical and physiological.
  • Options
    Does the Journal of New England Medicene accept advertising $$$? And if they do I assume many of these ads are pushed toward Drs? That's here nor there now ... Obviously some people can devoplope a dependency on anything whether it's tobacco, alcohol, processed sugar products, fast food etc..

• Options

lukin2006 said:

We're on the same page in regards to this issue. I just wish to say that the people becoming dependent on pot would do so regardless of legality. It's not hard to get. Anyone who wishes to smoke pot simply does. There are no people crossing their fingers and hoping for legalization so that the can 'finally' smoke it.

Legalization is a no-brainer if there ever was one.
    Exactly ... Totally agree ... Legalize, regulate, tax ...

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,764
    hedonist said:

^^^
    Wait a year? For what?

Yeah really. How come weed can't just be used like booze is. Don't you ever drink PJfan?? Wtf is the difference, besides weed being much safer in every possible way as well as cheaper?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

I won't argue the point that weed can be helpful, but it certainly isn't harmless across the board. It's the right thing for some people and not for others. The high quality studies that have been down on medicinal uses of cannabis have shown up to 40% drop out rates due to side effects, some what you might expect and some more serious.

Nothing in life comes for free. Nothing in life is harmless.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

hedonist said:

^^^
    Wait a year? For what?

Yeah really. How come weed can't just be used like booze is. Don't you ever drink PJfan?? Wtf is the difference, besides weed being much safer in every possible way as well as cheaper?
    I still think that even though it is claimed to be much safer in every possible way no one wants to have a business with stoned employees. It impairs like alcohol obviously but many people think it is like a cigarette, no harm done just a bad habit is all.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,764
    edited April 2016

PJ_Soul said:

hedonist said:

^^^
    Wait a year? For what?

I still think that even though it is claimed to be much safer in every possible way no one wants to have a business with stoned employees. It impairs like alcohol obviously but many people think it is like a cigarette, no harm done just a bad habit is all.
    Well people don't generally go to work drunk. They're not going to go to work high either. Either one would be grounds for dismissal. So I'm not quite sure what your point is. And weed doesn't even make you hungover.
    BTW, you seem to have this funny idea that everyone who smokes weed recreationally is a "pothead". Does that mean you also think that everyone who drinks is an alcoholic or a drunk?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ^^^
    It just seems like there is enormous support to legalize it from the "potheads" and recreational users alike.
    There are a lot of people who view it like a cigarette and with attitudes like we will start to see an increase of it in the workplace or at least advocating for it because "hey, whats the big deal it's only a joint"
    I would tend to think people smoke until high and then stop- which leaves you impaired.
    Unlike with a cigarette you just need that nicotine until the next nic fit. - You're not impaired before, during or after smoking one could argue. Yet smoking is far more dangerous - obviously.
    So this law that is coming to legalize it will only increase use I feel.