Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,488
    tish said:
    It’s interesting watching the local election coverage here in Toronto (CP24). They keep going to a polling station in Vaughan where people are waiting in line for over an hour (absolutely unacceptable), while the live shot they keep in the corner of the screen shows a different location (where isn’t indicated) with no line and people coming and going easily. The live reporter just said someone told him it would be a four hour wait.

I truly hope everyone gets opportunity to cast their vote today.

I voted in the advance poll and had no wait or issues (other than initially going to leave through the same door I entered and being directed to the proper exit, I saw Trudeau make the same mistake live today, lol).
    Everyone in a line when polls close still gets to cast their vote.

I did it by mail. They make it trickier by having to write a name (lists not provided) and writing a party doesn't count.

My kid did a pretend vote in class today. She's along the sames lines as me and OR, although I generally keep this info to myself.

My grandmother took me to vote in a referendum when I was 18. She told me how she had to fight for the right (maybe as Indigenous female?) I always include my daughter in the discussion and we prioritize our values.

I’m glad everyone in line will get to vote, hopefully everyone can hang in as long as is needed. And then the counting can start, lol.

I was at my parents church today which is functioning as a polling station and I saw a fairly steady flow in and out of the building. I drove by another poll and it seemed busy as well.The advance vote numbers were impressive, I’m wondering if we’re going to see a higher turnout this election?

The lines are just embarrassing and could have been avoided (no election) or mitigated (longer writ period), but it looks like a good day for Canadian democracy so far, regardless who ends up winning on Thursday, lol.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    tish said:
    ^^ by the way, I've had their truffles....
    For some reason that reminds me of a champagne breakfast for everyone.
    Aztec truffles for everyone!
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    CBC just declared a Liberal government of some sort? Huh?

Edit: The above was posted at 10:26 Toronto time, so Manitoba had closed their polls but not Saskatchewan I think?
    Post edited by DarthMaeglin on

• Options
    tish said:
    agree with online voting.  It would greatly improve the system 
    Wonder if this unlikely scenario would get more young adult votes.
    I think it would, and fewer older adult votes if it was the only option but I am guessing any possible scenario involving a change to online voting would include a lengthy period where current methods were also available. 

I am not savvy enough about computer security to know how it can be securely accomplished, but in any event that would only be half the battle. The other half would be convincing people it was secure. I expect it would open the floodgates to complaints of fraud that a number of people would believe even if they were unfounded. 
  • Options
    Wow, so soon? That’s a surprise. 
  • Options
    Wow, so soon? That’s a surprise. 
    I could have lived with the status quo but now I want a Liberal loss, lol. Even if it’s an NDP minority, lol!

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,382

lol, anything connected to the internet can be hacked.  I always thought analog was a better way to go.
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Zod said:

lol, anything connected to the internet can be hacked.  I always thought analog was a better way to go.
    My banking is dine online.  My medical records can be accessed online, my taxes can be accessed online, I’m more worried about that stuff being hacked than my vote…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    It’s a liberal minority…

it was a well spent 600 million.  Really, did anyone in the country really need 600 million…certainly not indigenous peoples who need clean drinking water…
    Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,045
    edited September 2021
    YES. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I'm getting drunk on conservative/trudeau-hater tears. lol
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    Voted this morning. Took me about 2 minutes, no line.

Voted Liberal. Might be the first time voting liberal, can't remember who I voted for last time.

I usually vote NDP but not a fan of Singh and the NDP candidate here is a name on ballot student. At least the Liberal candidate is a serious person.

Doesn't matter in my riding anyways. Always conservative by a landslide.

Anyways, congrats Liberals. I'm fine with status quo.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    Now that the election is over wait for shit to hit the fan politically here in Alberta.

Kenny is in deep shit.
  • Options
    PPC haven’t won any seats yet, and I haven’t read closely enough to hear if they are projected to pick up any. 
  • Options
    absolutely nothings changed.....

a little part of me wanted see Trudeau lose to the hubris of calling an election that was unneeded.  Canadians don't believe in any party enough to give the a majority, and that wasn't changing anytime soon.

Aside from that I was kind of meh.  I don't really believe in any of the parties enough to feel one is some kind of clear winner.   Country just went with the, he might not be great, he might actually be an idiot, but he's our idiot, and he's the best we got... lol.   I would tend to agree with that.
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,922
    ^ My daughter aptly wondered: when will humanity change?

• Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,922
    edited September 2021
  • Options
    https://torontosun.com/news/election-2021/liberal-monsef-ousted-in-southern-ontario-upset/wcm/67aabe70-b635-40fd-8244-19dad4deede4/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Liberal Monsef ousted in southern Ontario upset

Maybe this dummie can join her Taliban brothers in Afghanistan…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    The PPC did not win any seats, which means Bernier failed to win his seat, but they did increase their share of the vote to around 5%, up from less than 2% in the last election. Even without the win in seats experts say that vote splitting likely still cost the conservatives some seats.

From the CBC: The party, which describes itself as populist, classically liberal and libertarian, was founded by Bernier in 2018. It campaigned on lifting many COVID-19 public health restrictions, as well as expanding the oil and gas industry, balancing the budget, ending official multiculturalism, and reducing immigration levels, among other policies.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/peoples-party-election-2021-1.6182680

Funny how I disagree with virtually every aspect of their platform. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    The PPC did not win any seats, which means Bernier failed to win his seat, but they did increase their share of the vote to around 5%, up from less than 2% in the last election. Even without the win in seats experts say that vote splitting likely still cost the conservatives some seats.

From the CBC: The party, which describes itself as populist, classically liberal and libertarian, was founded by Bernier in 2018. It campaigned on lifting many COVID-19 public health restrictions, as well as expanding the oil and gas industry, balancing the budget, ending official multiculturalism, and reducing immigration levels, among other policies.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/peoples-party-election-2021-1.6182680

Funny how I disagree with virtually every aspect of their platform. 
    "ending official multiculturalism" is a good one. jesus. and trudeau is the racist one. hahahaha
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    This election featured the lowest voter turnout in history, Trudeau is re-elected PM with the lowest percentage of the 32% app, and the conservatives won the popular vote.

This country needs electoral reform, there is no incentive for the liberals to introduce electoral reform.  But it’s needed.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,992
    Total waste of money and time.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    This election featured the lowest voter turnout in history, Trudeau is re-elected PM with the lowest percentage of the 32% app, and the conservatives won the popular vote.

This country needs electoral reform, there is no incentive for the liberals to introduce electoral reform.  But it’s needed.

I think that's a misnomer.   I think changing from first past the post to prop. rep would probably require constitutional amendment, which I believe requires and overwhelming majority of the provinces to sign off on.   We don't all tend to get a long, and when government tries to start messing with the constitution, then everyone wants to add more stuff into it.

Any time I see a politician campaign on electoral reform I roll my eyes, because I don't think it's in their power to do it.

Also the last time we had a prop rep referendum here in BC they made too many options.    If anyone went for it, I think it should be straightforward and simple.   Pure PR, not hybrid stuff.

It's cute that people think their MLA or MP has any kind of power in parliament.  Once they get elected their nothing but a vote for the person in power and their agenda.   I don't think we actually need local MLA or MP's because they don't really do much.

I'm not sure what would of happened if the Cons got power.   The Libs/NDP seem pretty left of centre right now, so could that of worked?   Would the NDP/Libs have attempted to form a coalition and run the country regardless.

I think the fundamental challenge there is the Cons mostly represent the views of the prairies with a handful of other pockets of support across the country.   If the country as a whole supported them their vote wouldn't be so concentrated in a few areas.

All in all this country doesn't overwhelmingly support any of the parties or their leaders.   We're still waiting for a better option.

• Options

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    i'd say over a third of the vote with 5 major parties is to be expected. get rid of that garbage BQ party and it's a different story entirely. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    erebuserebus Posts: 559
    edited September 2021
    I would say the Cons have become a sort of Prairie Bloc party.
    like Quebec, they want to dictate to the majority of the country 
    flawed or not, most seats rule at the moment 

electoral reform, online voting and even mandatory voting should all be considered 

I have no problems with having whatever and however many parties you want, but you have to get the majority of the people (or whatever factor you use to determine a winner) to support you
    2 Greens,(and all minority parties)shouldn’t be demanding things. Listened to, yes, but they did not win. Win and do what you like
    Post edited by erebus on
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
    2024: Vancouver I, Vancouver II
  • Options
    2021 Federal General Election

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/federal-election-2021/results-map

The conservative are a national party and have won seats in every province.  They were shut out in the territories…but I don’t think 1 political party won seats in every province or territory.  Let me know when the bloc win seats outside Quebec and wins the popular vote count…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-student-reprimanded-o-canada-wfpcbc-cbc-1.6179258

good for her. playing the anthem in schools is nothing but patriotic indoctrination anyway. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Poll workers say Elections Canada put them at risk of contracting COVID-19

Hopefully poll workers don’t get Covid…
    Give Peas A Chance…