Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    I've found this to be an interesting and thought provoking session. It was recorded last year, and there are a couple of technical glitches, but well worth a look.

Practicing Active Allyship in the TRC's Calls to Action October 7, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFRR_OvipxQ
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    There was also a really interesting session yesterday hosted by Mike Downie of the Downie & Wenjack Fund involving three Indigenous panelists, an educator, musician and chef. Unfortunately can't post the link but there is programming on the DWF website. 
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    This how the government wants to fix the problem…government holiday and for people to reflect on past injustices while the government  refuses to hold those responsible for the problem accountable…

government logic…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    This how the government wants to fix the problem…government holiday and for people to reflect on past injustices while the government  refuses to hold those responsible for the problem accountable…

government logic…

How are you spending the day in the spirit of the day, instead of complaints?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    just heard that it’s another government stat holiday (most of the country is not included).  Kind of amusing that the people who created the problem are now giving themselves another paid day off at the expense of others who pay for these government employees…lmfao

Here's more information about the hows and whys of the holiday today. 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/what-is-national-day-for-truth-and-reconciliation-and-who-gets-the-statutory-holiday-1.5570906

How are you spending the day in the spirit of the day?
    I understand why it's a holiday, but (don't spit out your drink) I agree with Meltdown in that I don't understand why it's only federally regulated employees get it (which I am one). If anything, it should be anyone with Indigenous status that gets it. or everyone. It doesn't sit well with me that the government is rewarding itself for doing virtually nothing (so far). 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    It’s such an important day to Canada the PM goes surfing…lol.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    just heard that it’s another government stat holiday (most of the country is not included).  Kind of amusing that the people who created the problem are now giving themselves another paid day off at the expense of others who pay for these government employees…lmfao

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/what-is-national-day-for-truth-and-reconciliation-and-who-gets-the-statutory-holiday-1.5570906

I understand why it's a holiday, but (don't spit out your drink) I agree with Meltdown in that I don't understand why it's only federally regulated employees get it (which I am one). If anything, it should be anyone with Indigenous status that gets it. or everyone. It doesn't sit well with me that the government is rewarding itself for doing virtually nothing (so far). 
    I agree it would be great to have it as a holiday for all employees across the country. I have been trying to figure out why it is not and the best I can come up with so far is that many of the provinces objected. The reception seems to have been mixed, with some provinces (including BC) essentially making it a public holiday for everyone, to others (like Ontario and particularly Quebec) rejecting it all together. Perhaps in the future all of the provinces will get on board. 
  • Options

Also, should go without being said but maybe it needs to be said - federally mandated employees are not “the government”. These are the employees of the different ministries (which generally remain the same no matter who wins an election) and VIA rail, Canada Post, and the like. They’ve got nothing really to do with “the government”; they’re just the only employees that the feds have any direct control
    over working conditions for. 
  • Options

Trudeau spends 1st Truth and Reconciliation Day in Tofino on vacation, contradicting itinerary

The fucker lazy pos of shit never worked. Hasn’t worked a day in his life. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    erebuserebus Posts: 549
    Today and Nov. 11th should both be national holidays/days of reflection for everyone 
    if we have to trade one off maybe get rid of Victoria Day (May long)
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • Options
    erebus said:
    Today and Nov. 11th should both be national holidays/days of reflection for everyone 
    if we have to trade one off maybe get rid of Victoria Day (May long)
    I wonder what it would take to get all the provinces on board? Seems like Ontario was “hard no” and Quebec was “over our dead bodies”.  I assume the objection is financial but I don’t know enough to be sure 
  • Options
    I know we have some Hip fans here. Who has seen The Secret Path? I have not but looks like you can view it through the DWF website so I will try to do that in the next week. 
  • Options
    I know we have some Hip fans here. Who has seen The Secret Path? I have not but looks like you can view it through the DWF website so I will try to do that in the next week. 
    I have. it's great/heartbreaking. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Remembrance should be a stat holiday for sure…

Trudeau is so concerned about the environment he treats the government jet like his own personal taxi…Trudeau is a fraud and an asshole…The asshole thumbs his nose at Canadians.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Trump jr like vacations like Trump sr.  What a douche. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    I have to agree. quite disappointed he chose to go surfing on this day. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I have to agree. quite disappointed he chose to go surfing on this day. 

Yeah, it's a baffling decision, especially for the first official day, and given the events of this year. The report of having talked privately with residential school survivors isn't enough; there needed to be a public presence. I'm not sure what was so important about the personal vacation that it couldn't be delayed one day. 
  • Options
    exactly. that really turned me off. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    erebuserebus Posts: 549
    edited October 2021
    Totally agree that Trudeau missed the mark butttttt….

I also don’t like how everything is politicized and publicized.  It’s not a competition that party A did this, or party B did more for mourning. It’s all lip service anyway, look no further than any political party and the drinking water situation over the past decades. Mostly talk, very little action 
    Do it in your own personal, quite way because it is right, not to gain points 

again, JT was way off if he was truly surfing, but that just shows he is clueless 
    Post edited by erebus on
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • Options
    edited October 2021

B.C. First Nations leaders blast Trudeau for spending truth and reconciliation day in Tofino

From the article…Grand Chief Stewart Phillip, president of the Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs, said Trudeau’s decision to jet to Tofino and not attend any of the multiple ceremonies and events held across the country Thursday to commemorate Indigenous children who were taken from their families and forced to attend residential schools was a “slap in the face” of survivors.

“Given the fact this is a nationally recognized holiday in regards to truth and reconciliation, it would have been appropriate for the prime minister to fully acknowledge this day,” said Phillip. “Rather than do that, he has chosen to turn his back on the historical significance of today and hide out in Tofino.”

He’s never been held accountable in his life.  He thumbs is nose at Canadians…

From the video I saw of the ceremonies it looked liked the government workers who got another taxpayer funded day off likely went shopping…
    Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Breaking News…truth and reconciliation day on Sept 30 will be renamed national surfing day and all indigenous peoples are encouraged to heal through surfing.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    A group of Tim Horton indigenous franchisee’s created an orange sprinkle donut 🍩…all procedures from said donut go to indigenous causes… everyone like donuts.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

China’s ‘mouthpiece’: Senator faces online backlash, calls to resign after 2 Michaels, Meng tweet

https://globalnews.ca/news/8239522/senator-yuen-pau-woo-twitter-backlash/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

another nimrod appointed by Trudeau.

More than ever it’s time to abolish the useless Senate and put all these useless fucksticks out pasture…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    private vs public. pick your poison. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    That idiot says we wouldn't have a COVID-19 crisis if we had more ICU beds.