Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,422
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    The RCMP likely held off purposely till after the election…he’s got the rcmp in his back pocket, just like paying off the crooked Canadian media…Trudeau is the pm of Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver…lmfao.  And Singh will continue to support the corrupt asshole…he is one of the most unpopular Canadians prime ministers ever…we do need electoral reform.  It will never happen.

My PC candidate easily defeated the NDP clown 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,678
    I'm getting drunk on conservative/trudeau-hater tears. lol
    lol!
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    I do think it’s funny that Toronto supports the asshole…the same city that had a furniture salesman as mayor and a crackhead as mayor and gave the province a former drug dealer premier…nothing progressive…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,852
    the RCMP is in trudeau's pocket? the entire national force? yeah, that's a rational claim. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Don’t worry I got your back…us corrupt racist need to stick together…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    she need to go on a diet…kind of plump to be a cop…oh wait…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    she need to go on a diet…kind of plump to be a cop…oh wait…
    what the fuck?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited September 2021

Huawei CFO Meng expected to reach agreement with U.S. on charges against her: reports

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/huawei-cfo-meng-expected-to-reach-agreement-with-u-s-on-charges-against-her-reports-1.5598969

Interesting…

Now what happens to the 2 Micheals?

Does China release them?  I’d be surprised they do.  At least not immediately.

CTV News has spoken with one source who says Meng’s deferred prosecution negotiations with the U.S. Department of Justice have been underway for months, and did not include any agreement related to the ongoing detention of Canadians Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor in China.

Kovrig and Spavor were detained just days after Meng’s arrest and have now been in Chinese custody for 1,019 days on charges that have largely been viewed as a retaliatory response to Canada’s arrest of Meng. It’s not clear if today’s developments would have any impact on their cases.

Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,838

Huawei CFO Meng expected to reach agreement with U.S. on charges against her: reports

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/huawei-cfo-meng-expected-to-reach-agreement-with-u-s-on-charges-against-her-reports-1.5598969

Interesting…

Now what happens to the 2 Micheals?

Does China release them?  I’d be surprised they do.  At least not immediately.

CTV News has spoken with one source who says Meng’s deferred prosecution negotiations with the U.S. Department of Justice have been underway for months, and did not include any agreement related to the ongoing detention of Canadians Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor in China.

Kovrig and Spavor were detained just days after Meng’s arrest and have now been in Chinese custody for 1,019 days on charges that have largely been viewed as a retaliatory response to Canada’s arrest of Meng. It’s not clear if today’s developments would have any impact on their cases.

It appears that China has indeed released them, almost immediately. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,683
    ^Are you f@kin kidding me. Jesus what a shit show.
  • Options

China has released detained Canadians Kovrig, Spavor: PM

This is good news indeed.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I mean, that's better than the death penalty, but part of my little girl innocence was hoping their lives weren't pawns.

EDIT: Deleted part of post about the politics of settling the score as China's retribution was unjust comparatively. At least we got into the US graces for "following law".
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    ^ I was set to teach in China. My kid had a place in a foreign national school, but them detaining these guys made me pull out. 

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,155
    ^ Cold War with China underway
  • Options

Lol

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Lol

That made me laugh, even knowing the circumstances :lol: 
  • Options
    What do my fellow Canadians have planned to recognize and honour the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation?

I work within the Vancouver Island Health Authority and the 30th is considered a stat holiday. Thursday is usually a clinic day for me and outpatient clinics are closed, so aside from dealing with the ever-present work that piles up I have the day off. I have been looking around for opportunities for learning and reflection that are available on the day, and unfortunately found that most in my health authority are scheduled for the other days this week, since people who would lead them are off on the 30th. However, I did find some online resources and will check out some of the programming on these sites.

https://downiewenjack.ca/national-day-for-truth-and-reconciliation/#aboutNDTR

https://nctr.ca/education/trw/general-public-schedule/#schedule-day-4

Anyone have other suggestions?
  • Options
    I've been thinking about this too. I think it's important to not just "use it" as a holiday, but to use it for what it's meant for. My wife really wants to visit the Canadian Museum For Human Rights, which I've been to, but she hasn't. There's a Truth and Reconciliation exhibit inside, so that might be a good place to start. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I've been thinking about this too. I think it's important to not just "use it" as a holiday, but to use it for what it's meant for. My wife really wants to visit the Canadian Museum For Human Rights, which I've been to, but she hasn't. There's a Truth and Reconciliation exhibit inside, so that might be a good place to start. 

Yeah, absolutely I don't feel right about taking it as "holiday". There appears to be a lot of worthwhile material out there to view/listen/read. I also plan to get out in nature at some point in the day.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,640
    edited September 2021
    You could try something like this:

DRUM FOR THE CHILDREN

https://tkemlups.ca/drum/

Be heard. On behalf of the children.
    Join us virtually on September 30 – at 2:15 p.m.  Pacific.

Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc wishes to involve the world in recognizing the very first Canadian National Day of Truth and Reconciliation. After a global outpouring of interest and support for the missing children from the Kamloops Indian Residential School. Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc is offering a way for people to connect, support and ground into the importance of September 30, 2021.

On this very first –Canadian–National Day of Truth and Reconciliation, Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc  is calling upon people around the world to gather –safely– to drum and sing for the missing children of Indian Residential Schools.

It’s time to honour the children, and the unrelenting spirit of these Ancestors.

It’s time to:

• to drum for the healing of the Indian Residential Schools Survivors who carried the burden of knowing of where the children were buried.
    • to drum for the healing of the families and communities whose children did not come home.

Help us shine a light on truth – the pursuit of justice and peace – and healing for all affected by these beloved missing children.

Be sure to share with us about how you will participate – through Facebook, Twitter or Instagram, using the hashtag #DrumForTheChildren and tagging us

To Sing and drum in unity, we invite you to learn the Secwepemc Honour Song. It is a song that we like to sing at many gatherings. We’ve included the vocables in the video so you can easily follow along as you learn it.

View the video here to learn the song:

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    You could also sign up for this:

Kamloops Indian Residential School and Marieval Indian Residential School.

These are just two sites of former residential schools where the remains of many Indigenous children were found in unmarked and mass graves. More graves are expected to be uncovered across Canada in the coming months and years.

Indigenous people in this country have historically been subject to human rights violations that persist today. From drinking water advisories on reserves, to missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls, to the over-representation of Indigenous children in the child welfare system. The harms wrought by colonization, racism and violence on generations of Indigenous people are profound.

Enough is enough.

It’s time for meaningful reconciliation and justice for First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples. We must remember those lost and honour survivors and their families. We must end injustice for all Indigenous communities. Let’s have real conversations to reflect and demand for real action now.

Join us at our Text Rally on September 30, 2021 to mark the first National Day for Truth and Reconciliation.

On this day we also commemorate Orange Shirt Day to recognize the harm of the residential school system on Indigenous children and families - we wear orange to ensure everyone knows that Indigenous children matter.

Thank you for building awareness and for joining us as we walk the path toward reconciliation with Indigenous peoples.

-Lily

Lily Chang
    Secretary-Treasurer
    Canadian Labour Congress
    Standing up for workers and their families

FacebookTwitter

Canadian Labour Congress/
    Congrès du travail du Canada

2841 promenade Riverside Dr
    Ottawa, Ontario K1V 8X7
    613-521-3400

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I'm making t-shirts with the kids again. Slogans like... 'stop taking our kids' to grow awareness of the ongoing millennial scoop. And giving them a watered down version of the more distant past.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

DRUM FOR THE CHILDREN

Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc wishes to involve the world in recognizing the very first Canadian National Day of Truth and Reconciliation. After a global outpouring of interest and support for the missing children from the Kamloops Indian Residential School. Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc is offering a way for people to connect, support and ground into the importance of September 30, 2021.

On this very first –Canadian–National Day of Truth and Reconciliation, Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc  is calling upon people around the world to gather –safely– to drum and sing for the missing children of Indian Residential Schools.

It’s time to honour the children, and the unrelenting spirit of these Ancestors.

It’s time to:

• to drum for the healing of the Indian Residential Schools Survivors who carried the burden of knowing of where the children were buried.
    • to drum for the healing of the families and communities whose children did not come home.

Help us shine a light on truth – the pursuit of justice and peace – and healing for all affected by these beloved missing children.

Be sure to share with us about how you will participate – through Facebook, Twitter or Instagram, using the hashtag #DrumForTheChildren and tagging us

To Sing and drum in unity, we invite you to learn the Secwepemc Honour Song. It is a song that we like to sing at many gatherings. We’ve included the vocables in the video so you can easily follow along as you learn it.

I like that idea. I am not on fb, Instagram or twitter but it looks like I can do it without those social media platforms. 

And hope you are well, PJ Soul. You haven’t been around these parts much lately and I believe you had posted about struggles with your health. 
  • Options

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    You can check with your local friendship center and buy a T-shirt, knowing proceeds will benefit FNIM people.
  • Options
    tish said:
    You can check with your local friendship center and buy a T-shirt, knowing proceeds will benefit FNIM people.
    Good idea, I didn’t know that!
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    PJ_Soul said:

DRUM FOR THE CHILDREN

It’s time to:

I like that idea. I am not on fb, Instagram or twitter but it looks like I can do it without those social media platforms. 

And hope you are well, PJ Soul. You haven’t been around these parts much lately and I believe you had posted about struggles with your health. 
    Oh thanks Often! I'm doing okay. Still dealing with that syndrome, but it's become super routine, and it's not debilitating or anything. Mostly just fatigued from the drugs. The main reason I've not been around much for so long (and a bit more lately) is because I was working from home all that time, so wasn't tied to a desk during my downtime, lol. But now I'm back at the office a couple days a week, soon to be three days (we should be holding steady at 3 days in, 2 days at home, possibly forever!), so I'll be around a bit more now! Although admittedly, even before COVID, I had backed off the train a lot. I just couldn't stand the constant petty bickering anymore! Maybe that's improved over the past year and half, we shall see! ;)

• Options
    just heard that it’s another government stat holiday (most of the country is not included).  Kind of amusing that the people who created the problem are now giving themselves another paid day off at the expense of others who pay for these government employees…lmfao
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    just heard that it’s another government stat holiday (most of the country is not included).  Kind of amusing that the people who created the problem are now giving themselves another paid day off at the expense of others who pay for these government employees…lmfao

Here's more information about the hows and whys of the holiday today. 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/what-is-national-day-for-truth-and-reconciliation-and-who-gets-the-statutory-holiday-1.5570906

How are you spending the day in the spirit of the day?