Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    On the eve of the election, another picture of Trudeau in blackface has emerged. Clearly from the Arabian Nights event, at least this one’s not as creepy as the one with the women. I know some have and will excuse it, but some of us will always see it as offensive (especially as an adult teacher post-2000).

"The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    On the eve of the election, another picture of Trudeau in blackface has emerged. Clearly from the Arabian Nights event, at least this one’s not as creepy as the one with the women. I know some have and will excuse it, but some of us will always see it as offensive (especially as an adult teacher post-2000).

Trudeau is a racist, his dumbass oldman was a racist…

No other G7 country would be dumb enough to elect this clown dog catcher…none…but Canada elected this clown prime minister.  Lmfao.  This is why we are a laughing stock on the international stage.  Trudeau should be selling socks at the bay…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    it's from the same night. get over it, folks. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,230

haha I think it's less about racism, and more about just showing our PM can be an idiot from time to time.. lol.

but yah.. it's nothing new..
  • Options
    Voted!  What a clusterfuck…

What a narcissist Trudeau is.  Gotta try to satisfy his ego.

Is the Liberal party a party or a cult?  I’d say it’s a cult.  

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Zod said:

haha I think it's less about racism, and more about just showing our PM can be an idiot from time to time.. lol.

but yah.. it's nothing new..
    just a stupid last second hail mary by the pathetic right. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Liberal cultist wants people to ignore blackface and yet the leader of their cult continues to bring up Harper who left public life 6 years ago.

And if this was Harper in blackface everyone knows Trudeau would still be talking about it.

If these ridiculous lines to vote, frustrating people, making seniors and the disabled stand in longs happened when Harper was PM, he’d be accused of voter suppression…

lmfao…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    liberal cultist. lol. I actually voted for Harper. LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    learn the difference between talking policy and bringing up stupid schoolyard smear campaigns. you've been fooled. block out the noise and maybe you won't be so angry all the time. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828

You voted for the Harper conservatives? Ewwwww :lol:

I haven't voted for the federal Liberals in at least 15 years. I'm way too lefty for the Liberals. Depending on where I've been living, it's been either Green or NDP. 

And definitely never voted for the provincial Liberals - they're just conservatives with a different coloured sign. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

You voted for the Harper conservatives? Ewwwww :lol:

I haven't voted for the federal Liberals in at least 15 years. I'm way too lefty for the Liberals. Depending on where I've been living, it's been either Green or NDP. 

And definitely never voted for the provincial Liberals - they're just conservatives with a different coloured sign. 
    I did. once. 2008 I think it was. This was a long time ago. like blackface, I learned from my mistakes. LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    just saw a video of Jagmeet on tik tok. sitting in a shower holding a "how you vote" sign with the caption "when you don't make a plan to vote for the NDP on Monday Sept 20". WTF
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Erin O’Toole at 29.  We all know what the racist pm was doing at 29…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Back in June elections Canada asked for a longer writ period so they had more time to prepare for this unnecessary pandemic of election…

and were ignored by mr blackface…lol.  What a jackass.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    will all the whiners continue to whine and bitch and moan about "an election no one wanted" if trudeau doesn't win?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    will all the whiners continue to whine and bitch and moan about "an election no one wanted" if trudeau doesn't win?
    Yes, and I’ll continue to ask for an analysis of how much this unnecessary election has exacerbated the fourth wave of covid. We’re (somewhat justifiably) crapping hard on Alberta for their policies without ever factoring in the election, yet Trudeau uses Alberta and Saskatchewan’s Conservative governments while conveniently ignoring BC’s non-Conservative government’s current covid problems (he did this just yesterday).

And for clarity, I crap on any minority government that forces an early election, regardless of party (as opposed to those needlessly defeated by the opposition).

• Options
    The House of Commons was functioning fine.  Government bills were getting through.  The budget passed.  

I would say anything other than a majority for Trudeau he loses.  Will he resign.  Nope.  He’s a narcissist…

If he does not get his majority he will probably think Canadians are ungrateful for not giving him a majority…arrogant and narcissistic assholes are like that…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    And if either O’Toole or Singh become PM this week, of course I will cheer…both have some intelligence.  Trudeau is a drama teacher…nothing more.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    It’s interesting watching the local election coverage here in Toronto (CP24). They keep going to a polling station in Vaughan where people are waiting in line for over an hour (absolutely unacceptable), while the live shot they keep in the corner of the screen shows a different location (where isn’t indicated) with no line and people coming and going easily. The live reporter just said someone told him it would be a four hour wait.

I truly hope everyone gets opportunity to cast their vote today.

I voted in the advance poll and had no wait or issues (other than initially going to leave through the same door I entered and being directed to the proper exit, I saw Trudeau make the same mistake live today, lol).

• Options
    It’s interesting watching the local election coverage here in Toronto (CP24). They keep going to a polling station in Vaughan where people are waiting in line for over an hour (absolutely unacceptable), while the live shot they keep in the corner of the screen shows a different location (where isn’t indicated) with no line and people coming and going easily. The live reporter just said someone told him it would be a four hour wait.

I voted in the advance poll and had no wait or issues (other than initially going to leave through the same door I entered and being directed to the proper exit, I saw Trudeau make the same mistake live today, lol).

I also voted in the advance polls last weekend and had about a ten minute wait to get in. There were only two people ahead of me but one woman took ages at the booth. Seems like something you should have made your mind up about before you got there :lol: 
  • Options
    Just voted. feels good. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    One of the more interesting stories I've read about the lengths that are sometimes needed to allow people to exercise their right to vote:

https://www.timescolonist.com/election-official-who-runs-chocolate-shop-flies-ballot-box-to-27-b-c-lighthouses-1.24359017

OTTAWA — They lead solitary lives, isolated for months on tiny islets and craggy ocean bluffs. Yet despite their remote locations, Canada's reclusive lighthouse keepers have one of the highest voter turnouts in the country — thanks to a part-time election official who flew in their ballots by helicopter.

Vlasta Booth, who usually runs a chocolate shop in Victoria, delivered ballots to 27 lighthouses off the coast of B.C., by chopper last week.

The mother of two braved fog and stormy weather, and the risk that her portable ballot box might become sodden with ocean spray, to ensure that B.C. lighthouse personnel could cast their votes before the deadline.

Booth, 49, who works as a service agent for Elections Canada during federal campaigns, flew in a coast guard helicopter to meet 67 lighthouse keepers and allow them to legally vote.

Wearing a survival suit, she landed on some of the remotest locations in Canada, including a "rock" in the middle of the ocean.

She admits that the experience, which she calls "an adventure", could be "nerve wracking." Booth was shown how to operate a GPS device in case the bright-red helicopter ditched and a rescue team needed to locate her.

"It is hard to put into words how awesome this experience is," Booth said. "We met light keepers that have been doing this work for several decades … and they themselves have never been to all 27 of them. It is truly a grand tour."

Booth spotted humpback whales on the way to a lighthouse in Haida Gwaii, an archipelago off the coast of B.C., and was stranded at one lighthouse for hours due to fog.

Hazardous conditions grounded Booth and the helicopter pilot on Egg Island, a tiny islet where they had "tea and muffins" with the resident lighthouse keepers, while they waited for the weather to clear.

The helicopter pilot also had to stop for several hours to refuel at an Indigenous community in Shearwater on Denny Island, in the territory of the Heiltsuk Nation.

Despite the challenge of reaching some of Canada's most remote residents, Booth said she had "100 per cent success." She delivered special ballots to every occupied lighthouse off the coast of B.C. during the five-day mission, and has now sent their votes back to Ottawa to be counted.

Booth met the lighthouse keepers on their helipads, registering them to vote while rotor blades whirred in the background. After checking their IDs, she handed them ballots. Then, after giving them the privacy to cast their votes in a portable ballot box, she flew off. Most special ballots are mailed in by voters, but in this case Booth said: "I was the mail man."

"There is always a paranoia of things blowing away on a helipad," she said, recounting the adventure. "But I spend the night before ensuring I have all my supplies and everything is in good order. We actually did bring a ballot box."

She wrapped the ballot box in a heavy-duty garbage bag to stop it getting soaked by ocean spray.

Booth also brought a laptop and USB drive containing the constituencies of every address in Canada, so she could register the lighthouse personnel in the correct riding.

Most listed the lighthouse as their home address, voting in B.C. constituencies. But a number of "relief" lighthouse keepers voted by special ballot in their home ridings, including one in Saskatchewan.

"Most of them we did on the helipad, because of time and efficiency. It usually took about ten minutes," she said. "Once or twice there was time for a cup of tea."

B.C. has 27 occupied lighthouses, stretching from the tip of Vancouver Island to near the border of Alaska, operated by pairs of lighthouse keepers who work in shifts to prevent boats from foundering. They also send out weather reports and check coastal water temperature.

The Canadian Coast Guard, which is responsible for the lighthouses, flies in mail and groceries about once a month.

Booth said people had asked her why the lighthouse keepers couldn't vote by mail.

"The simple answer is these light keepers get their mail about once a month — by helicopter," she said in an email.

During the five-day election expedition, every one of these lighthouses was paid a visit. They included Langara Point Lighthouse, situated atop a bluff on the northwest corner of Langara island, in Haida Gwaii.

Boat Bluff lighthouse, located at the end of Sarah Island on the Inside Passage of B.C., was another stop. The remote station was established in 1907 and is still operational.

Booth said Triple Island lighthouse, in Brown passage, near Prince Rupert, was "literally a rock."

Outside of election time, Booth runs a bespoke chocolate shop with her husband, a chocolatier, in Victoria. She admits she was "very brave" to visit such remote locations in a helicopter.

Of all the federal election staff in Canada, she said she had "the coolest job of everybody."

But Booth is not the only election agent to have braved the elements to get ballots to Canadians in remote locations.

Elections Canada said its staff had flown ballots to logging communities, offshore oil rigs, mines in the Far North and to remote oilsands workers.

On Sept. 14, just before the deadline to apply for mail ballots, a poll worker flew by helicopter to Bloodvein First Nation, 200 kilometres north of Winnipeg. Around 27 engineers, staying in the Indigenous community to help restore electricity, were registered to vote by mail. They would not have made it home in time for polling day.

• Options
    ^^ by the way, I've had their truffles....
  • Options
    erebuserebus Posts: 549
    edited September 2021
    I saw that story on the news about flying to remote lighthouses for voting.
    this election was already a colossal waste of money, I can only imagine how much that cost. Yes, everyone  is entitled to vote, but……
    anyway, figure out a secure way to vote online, and then you will greatly improve accessibility and participation, our system should and can be improved 
    Post edited by erebus on
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • Options
    agree with online voting.  It would greatly improve the system 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,580

Everyone in a line when polls close still gets to cast their vote.

I did it by mail. They make it trickier by having to write a name (lists not provided) and writing a party doesn't count.

My kid did a pretend vote in class today. She's along the sames lines as me and OR, although I generally keep this info to myself.

My grandmother took me to vote in a referendum when I was 18. She told me how she had to fight for the right (maybe as Indigenous female?) I always include my daughter in the discussion and we prioritize our values.

• Options
    Evan Solomon is CTVs version of Rosie Barton…just terrible 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    ^^ by the way, I've had their truffles....
    For some reason that reminds me of a champagne breakfast for everyone.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    agree with online voting.  It would greatly improve the system 
    Wonder if this unlikely scenario would get more young adult votes.
  • Options
    A riding in GTA, Vaughn and they are lined up snaked around the parking lot.

what a shit show the liberals have made of elections…
    Give Peas A Chance…