Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    erebus said:
    And hockey was not essential either, bunch of elites thinking that sport is bigger than health precautions 

the only thing we agree on is that the election was unnecessary 

I am not a fan of JT, and did not vote for him this time around, but your hate and delusions about him are redonculous, but everyone is entitled to their opinion…
    and again, we know who you are not voting for, but who are you getting behind?
    What the fuck does hockey got to do with this discussion?  Did they follow public health guidelines?  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Trudeau holding rallies violating Ontario public health measures…one set of rules for the elites…
    Wrong again.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/otoole-rips-trudeau-campaign-event-1.6176747

The Speranza Banquet Hall has a pandemic-era capacity of 500, down from the normal limit of 1,000 — so the 400-strong Liberal crowd did not violate provincial rules that limit indoors events to 50 per cent of regular capacity.
    It also required people maintain social distancing which is clearly not the case. But Trudeau did say they respected the capacity limits, not all the health measures. It just reeks of more “rules for thee but not for me.”

On a separate note, tonight Rosie Barton announced that tonight’s the last night of the face-to-face series, on a Wednesday. There is now zero excuse for the network having aired O’Toole’s segment on a fucking Sunday night (lower viewership traditionally). To say nothing of her inconsistency in delivering the interviews (not overly tough on Justin-just enough for plausible deniability- and borderline rude with Singh).
    Nah. The event organizers followed their rules for setting it up; it's up to the people attending to follow their rules for how close they get to others.

Would I go to a big indoor event at this time? No.
    Did the event, as organized, violate public health measures? Also no. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    double post
    Post edited by oftenreading on
  • Options
    Zod said:
    We already pay taxes on everything we own throughout our life…with the exception of the sale of our home.

why does the government need so much money…it’s not like they are providing us with state of the art healthcare or anything…lol.

inflation hits a 20 year high at 4.1%.  Are the liberals or NDP even discussing.  I know some conservatives have mentioned this…but I have heard nothing from the leader.

why would any of these asshole politicians care..It’s not like any of them have ever shopped…or know what it’s like to see the cost of everything skyrocket while wages remain substandard.

we need 3 new party leaders.  3 real leaders.  

Their answer is likely more government jobs…funny how technology doesn’t eliminate these jobs.

To be fair the inflation #'s are off lows during the heart of covid last year..  you also need to wait a bit to see if inflation is temporary or more persistent.  The same thing happened after the 08/09 crisis, and inflation was temporary.   I think they're also stuck between a rock and hard place, and I don't think it's unique to Canada.   Interest rates have been pretty rock bottom since the last crisis.  Decades of people borrowing oodles of money (including governments) they they'll only be able to increase interest rates so much.  If they go up by a sizable amount they'll probably cause another crisis.

I do agree with you on the other points.  I feel like I pay so much tax but have so little to show for it.  I can't get a Doctor, I don't have kids.   So basically my tax money is useful when it comes to being able to use roads, public transports, and access a doctor through an app.

I don't think any party leaders are going to get us out of this one.  It's only going to get worse.   We've had successive governments ramp up immigration (both the Cons and Libs did it).   It was done to try and keep our population from being lop sided with old people (boomers were outnumbering everyone).   The ramp up in immigration seems largely responsible for a housing crisis.  

So basically.. all the shitty things that happen are poor government planning when it came to the population hump.  The big disadvantage of governments changing so often.  They don't think long term, they think until the next election :(
    I think the housing crisis is due to failure in planning at all levels of government, not just federal. Municipal governments have a huge impact on housing stock, due to their requirements for development. I agree that we needed an effective federal housing strategy but we also needed municipal governments to come up with better processes to assess development options and support what is necessary, like increased densification, despite NIMBYism. 
  • Options
    https://www.cp24.com/news/another-minority-looks-likely-but-it-could-be-very-different-from-the-last-one-1.5587628

Another minority looks likely but it could be very different from the last one

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    If you want a dumpster fire like Alberta is right now, vote Conservative.

He was asked over and over again but the coward won't answer. That's not leadership.
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    Trudeau holding rallies violating Ontario public health measures…one set of rules for the elites…
    Wrong again.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/otoole-rips-trudeau-campaign-event-1.6176747

The Speranza Banquet Hall has a pandemic-era capacity of 500, down from the normal limit of 1,000 — so the 400-strong Liberal crowd did not violate provincial rules that limit indoors events to 50 per cent of regular capacity.
    It also required people maintain social distancing which is clearly not the case. But Trudeau did say they respected the capacity limits, not all the health measures. It just reeks of more “rules for thee but not for me.”

On a separate note, tonight Rosie Barton announced that tonight’s the last night of the face-to-face series, on a Wednesday. There is now zero excuse for the network having aired O’Toole’s segment on a fucking Sunday night (lower viewership traditionally). To say nothing of her inconsistency in delivering the interviews (not overly tough on Justin-just enough for plausible deniability- and borderline rude with Singh).
    Nah. The event organizers followed their rules for setting it up; it's up to the people attending to follow their rules for how close they get to others.

Would I go to a big indoor event at this time? No.
    Did the event, as organized, violate public health measures? Also no. 
    Blame the attendees not the organizers.  Fair enough. 
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    Part of Ontario Health guidelines are to maintain social distancing measure...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Yup. The job of organizers of an event is to provide enough space and  limit numbers, and the job of individual people is to decide where they stand to allow distancing. 

What, you wanted Trudeau to individually move each person?  :lol: 
  • Options

Yup. The job of organizers of an event is to provide enough space and  limit numbers, and the job of individual people is to decide where they stand to allow distancing. 

All the organizers had to do was say if people didn't distance themselves the event would be canceled.  To deny them responsibility is not fair in my opinion. 

While I wouldn't expect Trudeau to personally move people,  I have yet to hear that he asked the crowd to manage themselves.  Had he done that I'd have a much easier time buying into your suggestion. 

• Options

All the organizers had to do was say if people didn't distance themselves the event would be canceled.  To deny them responsibility is not fair in my opinion. 

While I wouldn't expect Trudeau to personally move people,  I have yet to hear that he asked the crowd to manage themselves.  Had he done that I'd have a much easier time buying into your suggestion. 
    Does the fact that the organizers had taped markings on the floor and asked people to remain within them change your opinion at all?

I don’t know if Trudeau himself asked people to distance but the event organizers clearly did, and it seems that it’s only at the end as it wrapped up that they did not. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    we're getting into absolute nonsense criticism now. had this been O Toole I wouldn't give a shit. it's up to the attendees to distance properly. just like when in any store. they have markings, but they aren't going to yell at every person when they are in inch too close. 

come on, people. there's bigger issues than this. stuff like this takes away from legitimate criticism of the PM. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Does the fact that the organizers had taped markings on the floor and asked people to remain within them change your opinion at all?

I don’t know if Trudeau himself asked people to distance but the event organizers clearly did, and it seems that it’s only at the end as it wrapped up that they did not. 
    The markings and such tell me the organizers did a good job setting the stage but once the play began they seemingly turned their backs. I haven’t seen it reported at all that Trudeau made any attempts to manage the crowds, but if anyone can show proof that he did, I’ll try to give him some degree of credit for such.

I suppose it was lucky the crowd were all of one thought, so we didn’t have any arguments (or God forbid violence) break out as I’ve seen happen in stores (I long ago gave up looking behind me while waiting in lines because people were constantly crowding me).

• Options
    we're getting into absolute nonsense criticism now. had this been O Toole I wouldn't give a shit. it's up to the attendees to distance properly. just like when in any store. they have markings, but they aren't going to yell at every person when they are in inch too close. 

come on, people. there's bigger issues than this. stuff like this takes away from legitimate criticism of the PM. 
    Bigger issues indeed. It irks me to let the misinformation and falsehoods stand though. 
  • Options

Bigger issues indeed. It irks me to let the misinformation and falsehoods stand though. 
    Please tell me you’re not labeling differences of opinion as misinformation. Shit, when it comes to misinformation, Trudeau is king (he seems to know there’s a signed agreement between O’Toole and the gun lobby, with zero proof presented as just one example).

• Options

Please tell me you’re not labeling differences of opinion as misinformation. Shit, when it comes to misinformation, Trudeau is king (he seems to know there’s a signed agreement between O’Toole and the gun lobby, with zero proof presented as just one example).
    often is referring to the accusation that trudeau skirted public health orders. that's false. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

absolutely. it's exhausting. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

often is referring to the accusation that trudeau skirted public health orders. that's false. 
    Agree to disagree on that one, though I hope I’ve been clear I place more blame on the organizers, not Trudeau (though his voice would have carried the most weight in that room and would have helped the situation).

• Options
    Election Canada expects long lines Monday.  I read election Canada printed 5 million mail in ballets, only 1 million were requested…

unless a miracle happens it will be a minority.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    The budget will balance itself

i don’t think about monetary policies

There is a level of admiration I have towards China

-Justine Trudeau leader of a g7 country and a nato country

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

'I know who I am:' Labrador MP defends Inuk identity after Nunavut MP's questions

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/jones-inuk-identity-nunatukavut-questioned-1.5999068

Now the leftist mps are fighting over ones heritage...lol

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Was Canada invited to join AUKUS? Officials mum but stress no interest in subs

https://globalnews.ca/news/8196164/aukus-defence-deal-canada-china-relations/

Why would we join that?  We much prefer leaky British subs..
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Jagmeet is blaming Trudeau for Jason Kenney's covid failures in Alberta. HAHAHA. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Jagmeet is blaming Trudeau for Jason Kenney's covid failures in Alberta. HAHAHA. 
    Jagmeet is really out to lunch and I have trouble taking him seriously.

Makes it impossible to vote for his party.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,176

lol...   I think that's been one of things in Canada that gets a little blurred.   The Federal government pretty much handled the spending, vaccine procurement, and international border regulations.  Everything else was done individually by the provinces.

That was quite the news yesterday that my province (BC) can't take any of Alberta's overflow ICU patients.  It makes us look bad, but we're not in a great situation either.   Our ICU #'s keep creeping up and we're running out of capacity too.   We've already done the thing where we cancel surgeries and what not to increase ICU capacity, so there's probably going to be people dying from delayed procedures they should be getting.

What I guess is amazing is Ontario seems to have been doing pretty well through the 4th wave so far....
  • Options

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Alberta will be sending patients to Ontario.  No problem if they are vacinnated.  As far as I'm concerned Alberta can keep their unvaccinated covid patients.  Unvacinnated covid patients should be placed in field hospitals...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,676
    Zod said:

lol...   I think that's been one of things in Canada that gets a little blurred.   The Federal government pretty much handled the spending, vaccine procurement, and international border regulations.  Everything else was done individually by the provinces.

That was quite the news yesterday that my province (BC) can't take any of Alberta's overflow ICU patients.  It makes us look bad, but we're not in a great situation either.   Our ICU #'s keep creeping up and we're running out of capacity too.   We've already done the thing where we cancel surgeries and what not to increase ICU capacity, so there's probably going to be people dying from delayed procedures they should be getting.

What I guess is amazing is Ontario seems to have been doing pretty well through the 4th wave so far....
    Regarding Ontario... we didn't scale back restrictions as much as BC and Alberta.  My folks were in BC visiting family and they didn't need to wear masks in the grocery store...  I was like 'Huh!?' lol ...  Alberta.. they're just terrible. 

Regarding the blurriness of our blame game...  that to me illustrates the other on going pandemic in Canada and around the world...  stupidity. 

Stupidity has been infecting a lot of people of late.  I mostly blame forum boards :) and social media.  The last year has been remarkable.  

My cousin posted something along the lines of this earlier:  "More restrictions coming regarding my restaurant.  #fucktrudeau #trudumb #nicehairthough .   And I'm like... ok...  you do realize that you're the dumb one in all of this right?   But of course 20 morons were right there with him. Lol. 

Trudeau can and should be blamed for a lot of things, but so much attention is being put on 'freedoms' and restrictions and they're being aimed at Trudeau quite falsely.  It's nonsensical and stupid.  I'm amazed that even O'Toole doesn't seem to be focusing much attention on Trudeau's ethical and leadership failures.  If you live in Ontario and you're upset about vaccine passports, masks, closures...  none of that is federal jurisdiction... none. 

If you live in Ontario and you see what's happening with those things and decide to say that Trudeau is turning Canada into an authoritarian dictatorship........  you really really really need to pick up a book... and not Facebook. Facebook doesn't count as a book. Never did. 

I should point out too.. for all the "communism" "authoritarian" "dictator" slurs being thrown towards Trudeau.   If you say those things... but also criticize him for calling an election.... you sir.... are fucking dumb. 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    The patients in ICU with covid are overwhelmingly not vaccinated. I don’t know the stats today, but last week every single COVID patient in ICU in BC was unvaccinated. 

In BC we have good vaccination numbers, but even with 85% of eligible people vaccinated that still leaves a good chunk vulnerable  who are getting really sick. Add to that the staffing shortages, because 18 months of working during the pandemic in tough and stressful situations grinds you down. I’m glad we have our vaccine card now for entry to all nonessential services. The opiate crisis is also terrible on the coast and overdose deaths just keep on coming, which is heartbreaking. We  are just trying to hang on until things eventually improve. 
  • Options
    Parksy said:
    Zod said:

Regarding Ontario... we didn't scale back restrictions as much as BC and Alberta.  My folks were in BC visiting family and they didn't need to wear masks in the grocery store...  I was like 'Huh!?' lol ...  Alberta.. they're just terrible. 

Regarding the blurriness of our blame game...  that to me illustrates the other on going pandemic in Canada and around the world...  stupidity. 

Stupidity has been infecting a lot of people of late.  I mostly blame forum boards :) and social media.  The last year has been remarkable.  

My cousin posted something along the lines of this earlier:  "More restrictions coming regarding my restaurant.  #fucktrudeau #trudumb #nicehairthough .   And I'm like... ok...  you do realize that you're the dumb one in all of this right?   But of course 20 morons were right there with him. Lol. 

Trudeau can and should be blamed for a lot of things, but so much attention is being put on 'freedoms' and restrictions and they're being aimed at Trudeau quite falsely.  It's nonsensical and stupid.  I'm amazed that even O'Toole doesn't seem to be focusing much attention on Trudeau's ethical and leadership failures.  If you live in Ontario and you're upset about vaccine passports, masks, closures...  none of that is federal jurisdiction... none. 

If you live in Ontario and you see what's happening with those things and decide to say that Trudeau is turning Canada into an authoritarian dictatorship........  you really really really need to pick up a book... and not Facebook. Facebook doesn't count as a book. Never did. 

I should point out too.. for all the "communism" "authoritarian" "dictator" slurs being thrown towards Trudeau.   If you say those things... but also criticize him for calling an election.... you sir.... are fucking dumb. 
    excellent post. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com