Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,181
    We'd still have the crisis, but I think it's also apparent our health care system in Canada is kind of shitty compared to pretty much every other country with socialized health care.   We were already running at capacity (or often over it) before covid.   There's no buffer room for anything else really.  Anything causes a blip up on hospitalization/doctor stuff and we have no capacity for it.

I believe he was wrong saying covid19 wouldn't be a problem if we had more icu beds, it probably would be.  At the same time our health care system keeps coming up short.  No Doctors, mega lineups for walk in clinics, huge waits at emergency....   Rather then try to fix it, our governments keep finding new things to spend money on :(
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    other socialized healthcare systems are neighbours with countries also with socialized healthcare; we are neighbours to the greediest healthcare system on the planet; hard to blame docs for jumping ship for three times the salary and equipment and working environment that is like paradise to them. I can't tell you how many doctors I've lost to the states. 

it's all about staffing. if we could keep staff, we could fund it. funding beds does nothing without having anyone to look after it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Zod said:
    We'd still have the crisis, but I think it's also apparent our health care system in Canada is kind of shitty compared to pretty much every other country with socialized health care.   We were already running at capacity (or often over it) before covid.   There's no buffer room for anything else really.  Anything causes a blip up on hospitalization/doctor stuff and we have no capacity for it.

I believe he was wrong saying covid19 wouldn't be a problem if we had more icu beds, it probably would be.  At the same time our health care system keeps coming up short.  No Doctors, mega lineups for walk in clinics, huge waits at emergency....   Rather then try to fix it, our governments keep finding new things to spend money on :(
    I took it as “our healthcare system does not have built in capacity” to handle emergencies…and he’s right.  We also had 19 months to create more capacity…even if temporary.

you are right our system needs to become a priority by government…enough spending on pet projects…make health care a priority.  To get more doctors medical school needs more capacity, getting more nurses will not be easy…my sister in law is a retired nurse and has worked both the US and Canadian system and she would never work in our system…it never once entered her mind to go back during the pandemic…I live across from Detroit…thousands of Canadians work in Detroit area hospitals .
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,552
    edited October 2021
    just heard that it’s another government stat holiday (most of the country is not included).  Kind of amusing that the people who created the problem are now giving themselves another paid day off at the expense of others who pay for these government employees…lmfao

Here's more information about the hows and whys of the holiday today. 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/what-is-national-day-for-truth-and-reconciliation-and-who-gets-the-statutory-holiday-1.5570906

How are you spending the day in the spirit of the day?
    I understand why it's a holiday, but (don't spit out your drink) I agree with Meltdown in that I don't understand why it's only federally regulated employees get it (which I am one). If anything, it should be anyone with Indigenous status that gets it. or everyone. It doesn't sit well with me that the government is rewarding itself for doing virtually nothing (so far). 
    Also, should go without being said but maybe it needs to be said - federally mandated employees are not “the government”. These are the employees of the different ministries (which generally remain the same no matter who wins an election) and VIA rail, Canada Post, and the like. They’ve got nothing really to do with “the government”; they’re just the only employees that the feds have any direct control
    over working conditions for. 

I don't work for the government, but am a public employee at a university, so did get the day off, as did all public school staff and students, so not just federally mandated workers. Provincial too (maybe depending on the province - I only know about BC). But the National Day for Truth & Reconciliation (NDTR??) and Remembrance Day should absolutely be mandatory holidays for all IMO. But I don't know why in the world anyone would kind of act like public employees and federally mandated workers are somehow the blessed spoiled ones. When the government declares a stat, the last thing I think is, "oh, those fuckers! The MPs get a day off from parliament!" I think about how it's great for all the workers who need and appreciate the break.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

Don't gather for Thanksgiving, New Brunswick told, as COVID-19 surge strains province's health-care system

There are 50 people recovering in hospital, including 23 receiving intensive care — a caseload that has led to cancelled surgeries and other health-related backlogs. Among those in hospital, 82 per cent are unvaccinated.

73 people have strained the system.  No Covid has exposed Canadas health care system as trash…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Trudeau government warned against travelling this holiday…lmfao.  You can’t make this shit up.  What a bunch of tone death dummies.  This is what happens when activist are running Canada.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,103
    edited October 2021
    **EDIT** HAHA this post was in limbo since 2018 I think... saved in my Drafts... fuck that's funny. We were on about Omar Khadr for crying out loud! lol... I'm rarely on here anymore these days. Just signed on for the first time in a very long time and saw I had a Draft waiting to fly.... friggin let'r buck!!** Holy christ, I have 75 pages to read on this thread alone it looks. I tried posting this on Page 100 last year and well.... I work in the bush... shit doesn't always work well out here. But dammit, I'll tell you again... drilling for natural gas sure has it's benefits wouldn't ya say?!?! It's 2C outside... let that sink in. **

Spent the last two days reading this whole thread created by PJ_Soul.

Here's my truth:

I'm on a natural gas well, drilling for a substance that is used to heat our homes. We will frac this well.
    I'm pro MJ legalization, mainly only because I want to see a fat return on my investment. I'm a capitalist. Never smoked the stuff, but I would if it were prescribed to me for pain, for example, providing it was recommended as my best medical choice.
    I'm a gardener and have also spent time on the farm, running the combine, swather, harrower, discer etc.
    I have spent time on several livestock farms, helping butcher pigs, collect eggs, feed animals, clean pens etc.
    I'm a musician and I teach guitar lessons.
    I'm a father and married to a smoke show (hey ohhhhhh, I said it. She's hot a fak and she hears it every day from me. It's how we do.)
    I'm a listener. I really got a kick out of PJ_Soul, HughFreakinDillon, Thirty Bills Unpaid, dignin vs PJFanWillNeverLeave, 1Thoughtknown, polaris_x, lukin 2006. Pretty good mix of opinions.  I read how PJ_Soul is upset that she can't ignore people anymore on the TenClub forum. You really wanted to ignore some people on here, but because you can't, it's provided for a 62 page discussion.
    I didn't get a kick out of name calling. PJ_Soul, you called people names the most and I took note of that. I've got your number. "snotty", "uppity", "petty", "insensitive" You are really good at manipulating too. A real crafty way of writing, in such a way that seems to protect yourself and your allies, but at the same time seems to insult the person whom you'd like to ignore but can't. You have it down to a science. If I'm going to call out anyone, might as well be the leader of the thread. I'll hold you accountable from time to time.  I never once thought about ignoring you or anyone in here.  Variety is the spice of life. Where we find variety in this thread is in everyone's replies. You made this bed, you can damn well sleep in it.
    I think Kadhr is a terrorist
    I think banning the breed (re: pitbulls) is wrong.
    I don't think the pipeline will kill you.
    Vince Li doesn't deserve to breathe among us after what he did.
    Trudeau is painful to listen to.
    I firmly believe in women's right to choose what happens to their bodies.
    I advocate for all forms of love.
    I think O'Leary would've been in over his head, but I loved his open letter. I think it was HFD that called him an asshole, which after reading the letter, all he wanted to do was liberate the eastern provinces resources; I'm all for the economic benefit and believe the risks to the environment, although real, are minimal. Unfortunate when they happen, but still worth it.  I hate oil spills and think we can keep extracting our resources.
    Climate always changes. No, I don't think humans have as much effect on the climate as the majority so strongly believes. I acknowledge I am in the minority.  I studied with a climatologist in university whom has been traveling the world collecting ice core samples and core peat bog samples, studying the isotopes in the preserved gas bubbles. You've heard this before, and it's my stance: the Earth has seen much more drastic changes than what everyone is (I choose this word quickly but it works) freaking out about over the course of its history. I believe this too shall pass, even though as we go through it, the blame will be placed on humans, because we're ego maniacs and we love pointing the finger at people we think (choose) we hate.
    Trudeau on pipelines: bring it on. We need more oil and gas. 
    Solar, Wind, Algae, Carbon capture: all for it. Bring it on as well.
    Taxes: I'm good with them. I hate paying them, but I accept the rates.
    Canadian politics redux crew: I give the floor to you.

Post edited by evsgjamm on
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Options

Don Martin: At 24 post-election days and counting, the federal government is still in limbo

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    evsgjamm said:
    **EDIT** HAHA this post was in limbo since 2018 I think... saved in my Drafts... fuck that's funny. We were on about Omar Khadr for crying out loud! lol... I'm rarely on here anymore these days. Just signed on for the first time in a very long time and saw I had a Draft waiting to fly.... friggin let'r buck!!** Holy christ, I have 75 pages to read on this thread alone it looks. I tried posting this on Page 100 last year and well.... I work in the bush... shit doesn't always work well out here. But dammit, I'll tell you again... drilling for natural gas sure has it's benefits wouldn't ya say?!?! It's 2C outside... let that sink in. **

Spent the last two days reading this whole thread created by PJ_Soul.

Here's my truth:

I'm on a natural gas well, drilling for a substance that is used to heat our homes. We will frac this well.
    I'm pro MJ legalization, mainly only because I want to see a fat return on my investment. I'm a capitalist. Never smoked the stuff, but I would if it were prescribed to me for pain, for example, providing it was recommended as my best medical choice.
    I'm a gardener and have also spent time on the farm, running the combine, swather, harrower, discer etc.
    I have spent time on several livestock farms, helping butcher pigs, collect eggs, feed animals, clean pens etc.
    I'm a musician and I teach guitar lessons.
    I'm a father and married to a smoke show (hey ohhhhhh, I said it. She's hot a fak and she hears it every day from me. It's how we do.)
    I'm a listener. I really got a kick out of PJ_Soul, HughFreakinDillon, Thirty Bills Unpaid, dignin vs PJFanWillNeverLeave, 1Thoughtknown, polaris_x, lukin 2006. Pretty good mix of opinions.  I read how PJ_Soul is upset that she can't ignore people anymore on the TenClub forum. You really wanted to ignore some people on here, but because you can't, it's provided for a 62 page discussion.
    I didn't get a kick out of name calling. PJ_Soul, you called people names the most and I took note of that. I've got your number. "snotty", "uppity", "petty", "insensitive" You are really good at manipulating too. A real crafty way of writing, in such a way that seems to protect yourself and your allies, but at the same time seems to insult the person whom you'd like to ignore but can't. You have it down to a science. If I'm going to call out anyone, might as well be the leader of the thread. I'll hold you accountable from time to time.  I never once thought about ignoring you or anyone in here.  Variety is the spice of life. Where we find variety in this thread is in everyone's replies. You made this bed, you can damn well sleep in it.
    I think Kadhr is a terrorist
    I think banning the breed (re: pitbulls) is wrong.
    I don't think the pipeline will kill you.
    Vince Li doesn't deserve to breathe among us after what he did.
    Trudeau is painful to listen to.
    I firmly believe in women's right to choose what happens to their bodies.
    I advocate for all forms of love.
    I think O'Leary would've been in over his head, but I loved his open letter. I think it was HFD that called him an asshole, which after reading the letter, all he wanted to do was liberate the eastern provinces resources; I'm all for the economic benefit and believe the risks to the environment, although real, are minimal. Unfortunate when they happen, but still worth it.  I hate oil spills and think we can keep extracting our resources.
    Climate always changes. No, I don't think humans have as much effect on the climate as the majority so strongly believes. I acknowledge I am in the minority.  I studied with a climatologist in university whom has been traveling the world collecting ice core samples and core peat bog samples, studying the isotopes in the preserved gas bubbles. You've heard this before, and it's my stance: the Earth has seen much more drastic changes than what everyone is (I choose this word quickly but it works) freaking out about over the course of its history. I believe this too shall pass, even though as we go through it, the blame will be placed on humans, because we're ego maniacs and we love pointing the finger at people we think (choose) we hate.
    Trudeau on pipelines: bring it on. We need more oil and gas. 
    Solar, Wind, Algae, Carbon capture: all for it. Bring it on as well.
    Taxes: I'm good with them. I hate paying them, but I accept the rates.
    Canadian politics redux crew: I give the floor to you.

It's bizarre to come here and see this, having barely been here for the past 2 years.
    I don't have too much to say, except that you don't actually "have my number." (or didn't - probably 3 years your thoughts have changed anyhow, just in general). I'm not manipulative. I have never had any intent or even thoughts about "allies"; never even occurred to me. All I ever do in this forum is post my true feelings at that time, off the cuff, calling it as I saw it at that moment, with no actual purpose behind it at all besides self-expression and communication. Most of the time I 'm half distracted at work when I post. So I get that you've applied your own story to me, but just wanted to say that it's not my story or where I was ever coming from. :) I have learned a few things over the past 3 years actually, and one of them actually does have to do with forming stories about others. Generally, the stories we create for others are based largely on our own emotions, and it is considered a great idea to try and speak constructively with someone about what's really going on, to try and learn what their story really is rather than assigning a fake truth and sticking with it. I've been trying hard to keep this theory in mind, as I think it carries a lot of weight (that said, even after all that, some people are going to actually be snotty, uppity, or petty, hahaha. ;)

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

How a failed deal with China to produce a made-in-Canada COVID-19 vaccine wasted months and millions

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/cansino-deal-canada-nrc-fifth-estate-1.6208241

Luttle things like this don’t matter to his cult…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

How a failed deal with China to produce a made-in-Canada COVID-19 vaccine wasted months and millions

Not really.  Wasn't this whole the whole plan at the beginning?  We don't have the capacity to make our own vaccines.  A faulire of multiple consecutive governments. 

Lets order everything and see what actually shows up.

It seems to have worked, we're a pretty vaccinated country.   I have no qualms with that approach.. when all those orders and deals were made with various companies we had no idea what would show up, what would get stuck in international politics etc...

I'd do the exact same thing. Order from everywhere, and take multiple avenues at getting vaccines.
  • Options
    Zod said:

Not really.  Wasn't this whole the whole plan at the beginning?  We don't have the capacity to make our own vaccines.  A faulire of multiple consecutive governments. 

Lets order everything and see what actually shows up.

It seems to have worked, we're a pretty vaccinated country.   I have no qualms with that approach.. when all those orders and deals were made with various companies we had no idea what would show up, what would get stuck in international politics etc...

I'd do the exact same thing. Order from everywhere, and take multiple avenues at getting vaccines.
    exactly. we had a slower rollout in the beginning, but now we're the highest vaccinated country per capita on the planet (or we were recently). But that doesn't matter to the anti-JT cultists. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    umm.. what outcome was changed?

1) The Liberals make the deal, it doesn't work, we don't get the Chinese vaccine, and we rely on other avenues the Libs uses to procure vaccines
    2) The Liberals don't make the deal, and we still rely on their other avenues for procuring the vaccine?

I suppose the only real alternative was if there were any other vaccine manufacturers that would of been willing (or have the ability) to help us build our own manufacturing program or sell us the rights to replicate their vaccine.

It's a lot of what if's.

I still think the Libs did a decent job at procuring vaccines.   They put in orders with lots of manufacturers, and attempted to work with a foreign manufacturer to make them domestically.  Sure they didn't all pan out, but we got vaccinated in a decent amount of time.   The redundancy the Libs purchased worked.

What would other people have done different?  Was there another company willing to do this that wouldn't of failed?  Probably not.  Well maybe the sputnik vaccine... lol.

Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Zod said:
    umm.. what outcome was changed?

1) The Liberals make the deal, it doesn't work, we don't get the Chinese vaccine, and we rely on other avenues the Libs uses to procure vaccines
    2) The Liberals don't make the deal, and we still rely on their other avenues for procuring the vaccine?

I suppose the only real alternative was if there were any other vaccine manufacturers that would of been willing (or have the ability) to help us build our own manufacturing program or sell us the rights to replicate their vaccine.

It's a lot of what if's.

I still think the Libs did a decent job at procuring vaccines.   They put in orders with lots of manufacturers, and attempted to work with a foreign manufacturer to make them domestically.  Sure they didn't all pan out, but we got vaccinated in a decent amount of time.   The redundancy the Libs purchased worked.

What would other people have done different?  Was there another company willing to do this that wouldn't of failed?  Probably not.  Well maybe the sputnik vaccine... lol.

This article conflates the idea of a  “made in Canada vaccine” with “acquisition of vaccines”, which is false. Yes, it’s true that we didn’t get a vaccine that might possibly have been developed from such a venture, but we got the mRNA vaccines earlier than most of the rest of the world, and earlier than we would have gotten a commercial Chinese vaccine. We potentially lost time in getting a domestic vaccine, not vaccines per se. 

And I haven’t looked it up recently but my memory is that no other companies wanted to partner for vaccine production in Canada, since we didn’t (don’t) have the capacity, so it’s not like we were turning down other offers. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Don’t travel our nimrod government says…yet the nimrod pm is using his personal Uber to fly to bc…he was just there.  What a fucking out of touch loser…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

How Trudeau's failed vaccine deal with China wasted millions | The Vaccine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOyHzeREL98

not too mention the delay cost lives and this is on trudope,,!!!!
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Don’t travel…but the useless Governor General is on some real essential business in Germany, wasting tax dollars…lmfao.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    erebuserebus Posts: 549
    We can find stupidity everywhere 
    Pro sports are in full swing, essential?
    All politicians are hypocrites,  nothing new there
    Alberta MLA's were the worst for traveling during the pandemic 
    Someday life must move on....
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • Options

That's right.  Let the hate flow through you.

• Options
    Zod said:

You can ignore, watch or stfu.  Or educate yourself…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Trudeau’s claim residential school records released ‘not accurate,’ says truth and reconciliation centre

https://globalnews.ca/news/8281911/trudeau-residential-school-records-comments/
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Zod said:

You can ignore, watch or stfu.  Or educate yourself…

Aren’t you the one bitching and moaning about your healthcare when Singh proposed dental and pharmacare, why?  Why the Fuchs should low income people not have access to this?  Just because you have no doctors doesn’t mean we can’t expand healthcare.  And besides doctors are controlled by the provinces…maybe call your premier.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    now you're arguing with yourself. really, should have seen that coming. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    and and how many millions was wasted on the Chinese vaccines when that money could have went other programs…if you want nice stuff better management of tax dollars…but I don’t give a shit if people out in BC can’t get doctors.  Things are good where at.  Plenty of docs…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    you clearly don't understand the basics of procurement in a global pandemic. lol
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Indigenous advocates question who PM is consulting with on First Nations kids ruling

He’s just blowing smoke up their ass…all he’s doing for six years is blowing smoke up people ass…but our system sucks when RpToronto, Quebec and Vancouver decide who the Pm is…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Scotiabank Sees Eight Bank of Canada Rate Hikes by End of 2023

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-10-20/scotiabank-sees-eight-bank-of-canada-rate-hikes-by-end-of-2023

hopefully this happens.  Need to get inflation under control and house prices under control…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited October 2021

Scotiabank Sees Eight Bank of Canada Rate Hikes by End of 2023

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-10-20/scotiabank-sees-eight-bank-of-canada-rate-hikes-by-end-of-2023

hopefully this happens.  Need to get inflation under control and house prices under control…
    That's not actually that much.  8 rate hikes of 25bps would bring it from .25 to 2.25%.

I kind of figure they'd go up by a percent or two.

It's what happens if that doesn't work that becomes a challenge.  If you starting going up 3, 4 or 5% people are going to lose homes and it'll cause another economic crisis.   Interest rates have been so low for so long... any meaningful increase will cause people to not be able to pay their debts...  that'll get messy.

On the flip side after the 08/09 crisis that rates never recovered that much.  I think they got up to 1.25 to 1.5% I forget.

I think government is going to lose the ability to have much of an impact with interest rates.   Raise 'em too high and they cause an economic crisis, and then because they're already so low, there's a much less impact when they try to lower them during bust times.

It'll be interesting (and possibly scary) to see how this all works out, both in Canada and other countries (seeing as we're all in the same boat).
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    The amount of debt people have now seems completely out of control... Surely it's all going to come crashing down eventually. I just don't see how it couldn't.