Options

Should AMT be shut down?

Comments

• Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Yup, that little "flag" button. Oh how some love to use it.
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

Yes I think AMT should continue to exist.
    Not quite sure how one could get an entire category closed.
    I think the word troll has been overplayed to a point where it is common place to call someone a troll as it is to say hello.
    It means nothing to the accused but it means a lot to the accuser.
    Talking avatars are merely that.- an avatar on a computer
    Could you imagine a forum where everytime someone posts they get called a troll? That would not be a very inviting place for noobs or existing members.
    When avatars comment in threads of controversial or even menial subjects one avatar can take it the wrong way and cause a cycle of back and forth bickering leading to personal insults caused by nothing more than a persons input to a thread.
    We openly have posters stating why they don't post in certain places of the forum for this very reason. How did it get this way?
    Avoiding certain categories on a forum in order to not be included should not have to cross the mind of a member.

My avatar doesn't speak for me on the forum. I speak and my avatar happens to pop up. Does your avatar speak for you? I never thought of someone's avatar speaking for them. That could explain so very much around here.

Not everyone here who posts is called a troll. I have many, many friends here who are delightful people (had dinner with a lovely group of 12 from the forum the other night) and they aren't people I would consider trolls. I text, e-mail, go to concerts with and PM (thank you for PMs) with many people.

What do I consider a troll? I consider a troll to be one who continually pokes and prods at someone then shouts, "It's offending me for this reason, this isn't fair for that reason" and then tells on that individual to Kat or Sea. They bait and then when someone bites, they run and shout that someone wasn't nice to them.

Why throwing all the sand in the sandbox? My mom would have beat my ass for that.

There are some people here who are like speaking to a brick wall. I'm not stating NOT to have differing opinions. Please. By all means. Those differing opinions are ways for us to learn from each other. A mutual respect. Debate. A verbal sparring of sorts, shaking hands and walking away having learned something valuable from each other. I'm not saying that you need to agree, but taking the opinions of all and tossing into a stew pot helps us to learn as people.

Trolling is a term tossed around because there are a handful (I will not call them out by name because I have a good idea that they know exactly who I'm talking about) that do engage in an attacking kind of way. It seems like those individuals seem to go for the jugular each and every time.

And yes, I do believe that trolls aren't reprimanded. I don't believe it is right. Sorry, but that hammer should swing both ways. Right next to that special place in hell for RickRollers should be one for baiters and trolls.

Now go out and debate kindly, please.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    This thread is the same what, 30 people on here?

^^^^
    Yes.
    You just have to speak your mind and deal with what comes.
    That is not baiting or trolling.

Taking offense to an opinion and hurling insults should be punished.

Trolling and having an opinion are two different things.

Haven't you done both? Oh wait that's baiting and maybe trolling? Or maybe just my opinion…

Seriously, some people need thicker skin and just need to express their point better. Right?
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    deadendp said:

I think the word troll has been overplayed to a point where it is common place to call someone a troll as it is to say hello.
    Could you imagine a forum where everytime someone posts they get called a troll? That would not be a very inviting place for noobs or existing members.
    When avatars comment in threads of controversial or even menial subjects one avatar can take it the wrong way and cause a cycle of back and forth bickering leading to personal insults caused by nothing more than a persons input to a thread.
    We openly have posters stating why they don't post in certain places of the forum for this very reason. How did it get this way?
    Avoiding certain categories on a forum in order to not be included should not have to cross the mind of a member.

My avatar doesn't speak for me on the forum. I speak and my avatar happens to pop up. Does your avatar speak for you? I never thought of someone's avatar speaking for them. That could explain so very much around here.

Not everyone here who posts is called a troll. I have many, many friends here who are delightful people (had dinner with a lovely group of 12 from the forum the other night) and they aren't people I would consider trolls. I text, e-mail, go to concerts with and PM (thank you for PMs) with many people.

What do I consider a troll? I consider a troll to be one who continually pokes and prods at someone then shouts, "It's offending me for this reason, this isn't fair for that reason" and then tells on that individual to Kat or Sea. They bait and then when someone bites, they run and shout that someone wasn't nice to them.

Why throwing all the sand in the sandbox? My mom would have beat my ass for that.

There are some people here who are like speaking to a brick wall. I'm not stating NOT to have differing opinions. Please. By all means. Those differing opinions are ways for us to learn from each other. A mutual respect. Debate. A verbal sparring of sorts, shaking hands and walking away having learned something valuable from each other. I'm not saying that you need to agree, but taking the opinions of all and tossing into a stew pot helps us to learn as people.

Trolling is a term tossed around because there are a handful (I will not call them out by name because I have a good idea that they know exactly who I'm talking about) that do engage in an attacking kind of way. It seems like those individuals seem to go for the jugular each and every time.

And yes, I do believe that trolls aren't reprimanded. I don't believe it is right. Sorry, but that hammer should swing both ways. Right next to that special place in hell for RickRollers should be one for baiters and trolls.

Now go out and debate kindly, please.
    Agree completely (as I generally do with you :) )
  • Options
    Awesome fucken post Amy. Whoever those trolls are, they just got kicked in the nuts, in a kind way.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I'm not a fan of passive-aggressive bullshit. Anyone's open to air their views, no matter how lovey-dovey or controversial or anywhere within that spectrum.

It's weird, I've read some REALLY over the top stuff, gotten a handful of pm's meant to incite anger but instead resulting in laughter and an amused "the fuck are they on about?" Never felt the need to report anyone; if anything, I've checked myself behind the scenes in a couple of threads.

By the way, good post, deadend!

And worthy discussion, SD.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,522
    No
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    hedonist said:

I'm not a fan of passive-aggressive bullshit. Anyone's open to air their views, no matter how lovey-dovey or controversial or anywhere within that spectrum.

It's weird, I've read some REALLY over the top stuff, gotten a handful of pm's meant to incite anger but instead resulting in laughter and an amused "the fuck are they on about?" Never felt the need to report anyone; if anything, I've checked myself behind the scenes in a couple of threads.

Agreed on all fronts. The flag option just never ever crossed my mind. I wouldn't consider it unless I was being threatened.

Are there PJ Forum meet-ups happening in Northeast Ohio?
    I live in South Northeast Ohio!
    Maybe a booze cruise at Atwood Lake next summer??
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    xhausted1xhausted1 Posts: 126
    No. Keep it going.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

hedonist said:

Agreed on all fronts. The flag option just never ever crossed my mind. I wouldn't consider it unless I was being threatened.

Are there PJ Forum meet-ups happening in Northeast Ohio?
    I live in South Northeast Ohio!
    Maybe a booze cruise at Atwood Lake next summer??
    I apologize in advance for thread derailment:
    A bunch of us just met up at Great Lakes Brew Pub in Ohio City/Cleveland the other day before the Chris Cornell show.

Carry on.
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    Politics, religion? Duh, of course people are gonna disagree. That's one of the things that makes AMT interesting. But I don't like it when people post just to make trouble or to pick fights with people.

And yet... I have never flagged anyone. It sort of feels too Joseph McCarthy/friendly witness-ish. But that's just me.

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited October 2015
    I have flagged 3 posts in my posting history.
    Two of which I openly stated I was going to flag.
    Flagging is like nipping in the bud.
    Circa 1991, 2004 old forum rules are by the wayside.
    Sometimes posters create a niche that can fester hate, political gain, racism if left unchecked.
    So grab a pair and deal with the consequences of what you post.
  • Options
    Smellyman said:

No

While we are not our avs (!!!), yours when combined with your response is perfect.

Like a quick, succinct "woof" =)
  • Options
    This is where I ask again if I'm allowed to laugh
  • Options

Sometimes posters create a niche that can fester hate, political gain, racism if left unchecked.

Wouldn't it be more constructive to reach out to the person who offended so greatly to the point of having to go to the mods? Is anyone here so unreasonable to not make that attempt?

It's like at work. I'd never run to HR unless I'd exhausted all other means to resolve the issue (and even then - some shit's worth pursuing, some's not...depends on your end-goal, I guess).
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    badbrains said:

Yes.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,826

Wouldn't it be great if everyone had to deal with the consequences of what they posted. It seems it's when "avatars" post racist, hateful, badgering, inflammatory comments and someone responds openly and honestly they get punished rather than the instigator. We have seen this happen more than once and not only is it disappointing it is infuriating and demeaning to our intelligence.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    I wonder what would've happened if someone flagged that post someone posted about "fuck the pope and fuck the Vatican". That was pretty offensive. I'm a Muslim and that shit offended me. But I didn't run and flag anything.

Good point hedonist. Those are the route you'd think people would usually go by. But I guess not. I know I'd never flag anything, it's just not in me. I believe in total freedom of speech. But it's funny how some people use that freedom of speech to say ^^^above offensive statement, but yet it's not cool for others to use that same right? How's that even possible?
  • Options

But why do you feel the need to carry the nippers? I didn't know that we needed to be policed by forum members. I feel very wild west and citizen arrest about that. I thought the job of moderation was for the mods. :i_dunno: I had no idea that anyone else needed to carry that badge.
    badbrains said:

Yes, please.
    hedonist said:

Wouldn't it be more constructive to reach out to the person who offended so greatly to the point of having to go to the mods? Is anyone here so unreasonable to not make that attempt?

It's like at work. I'd never run to HR unless I'd exhausted all other means to resolve the issue (and even then - some shit's worth pursuing, some's not...depends on your end-goal, I guess).

Agree completely.
  • Options
    badbrains said:

Am I allowed to laugh or is that offensive? Or is that considered an insult, to laugh at someone's post?

Well, you should be able too. And who here hasn't asked someone to pull your finger?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options

badbrains said:

Am I allowed to laugh or is that offensive? Or is that considered an insult, to laugh at someone's post?

Well, you should be able too. And who here hasn't asked someone to pull your finger?
    H2M, quick, pull my finger............
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,690
    Flagging is a ridiculous example of running to the teacher and whining. Very modern approach to resolving a disagreement.

I am offended that someone would tell the forum participants to "grab a pair and deal with the consequences of what you post.".
    Should I flag you? Who are you that you think you can reach me a lesson?

The consequence is running to tell the teacher if the post is something you do not like?
    I do not know you as I do many of the people on this board. I respect that you can have an opinion and I respect that it can be different than mine.
    I do not respect you if you flag posts thinking you are the person who determines what can be posted here. I absolutely do not respect you if you feel like tattling and having the mods do your arguing for you is showing people how to get a pair and learn what consequences are. Seems like the sort of thing a bully would try and do.
    Just saying.
    #flagthis
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    The only time I have even considered flagging a post is when I was concerned for the well-being of the poster themselves

Freedom of speech is sacrosanct
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,826
    edited October 2015
    How to Troll 101 Ladies and Gentlemen
    ^^^^
    Yes.

Well then that is what we have mods for.
    To prevent personal insults before they occur or at least stop them.

And that is what we have a flag post option for.
    If people always take everything personal it leads to insults as a defense.
    If you get offended don't respond.

#FMC
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    I just heard a mic drop
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996

The only time I have even considered flagging a post is when I was concerned for the well-being of the poster themselves

That's why we have AMT. Absolutely.
  • Options
    F Me just f'd me in that good part of the brain.

And yes, while I get we agree to certain terms via signing up, paying our dues, etc., I can't overlook this post (plus I always love the use of "sacrosanct").

• Options

How to Troll 101 Ladies and Gentlemen

^^^^
    Yes.

Well then that is what we have mods for.
    To prevent personal insults before they occur or at least stop them.

And that is what we have a flag post option for.
    If people always take everything personal it leads to insults as a defense.
    If you get offended don't respond.

#FMC

Hmmm…

Connect the dots?!?

"am I my brothers keeper?!?"

I prefer the latter...
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    badbrains said:

You can laugh at your own fart--just not anybody else's please

• Options
    Quick, quick, pull my finger!
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
This discussion has been closed.