Options

FLIPPERS ON EBAY

Comments

• Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    you cannot compare buying and selling a house to buying and selling a poster.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836

So what do you think of the person who spends $200 on that Transformer poster yesterday. ...With his intentions being to trade it for a 10 year old poster that sells for $500 on ebay?

Is that OK?

Clearly NOT even miles from the point. Let's review: Flipper- A scum bag who waits in line solely to buy merch to immediately go home and eBay it for a staggering profit. They show no interest in the band or the music, NYC is FAMOUS for professional flippers. Clear? This has gotten silly. You are now clearly being argumentative with your spurious trading tale. I have made my point, IMHO, I am right and many agree with me. So go split hairs with someone else.
    you are not right. you have an opinion. learn the difference.

speedy, that's a grey area. I personally consider that flipping (if I'm clear, in that the person is trading the new poster right away for a 10 year old poster, and not 10 years down the road). because that person is buying that poster for their own personal gain and nothing else, taking that poster out of the hands of someone who wants it. but it is also somehow allowed on Lost Dogs all the time. people go to show, people buy poster, poster sells out, "all of a sudden" I don't need this poster (bought one for my buddy, but he bought one, so he doesn't need it!), I'm going to trade it for a 1998 poster. that's flipping. absolutely.

full disclosure: have I ever flipped? yes, I have. I don't condone it. I didn't feel good about it. But I did it. Haven't done it since. let the people who want it have it. I have also bought extra and sold at the original price for people who missed out.

Had I considered selling my safe travels keychain when I found out people were selling them for a ridiculous $125? I'm no liar. I did consider it. But then I decided against it. it's just fucking money. who cares.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    cmalisze said:

So what do you think of the person who spends $200 on that Transformer poster yesterday. ...With his intentions being to trade it for a 10 year old poster that sells for $500 on ebay?

Is that OK?

I say yes it is absolutely ok.

If that were the case then any home owner in America would be a flipper. I bought my home for $300k in 2000 but there is no way in 2015 I would sell it to you for more than that because I'm not a flipper. Absolutely not!

The question is does it help to allow people that aren't going to the show access to buy items. This is where all the madness began. People realized they could make money off items so they stand in line for that sole purpose. They even pay people to stand in line for them.

We are all giddy as can be when we don't have to carry our poster tubes into the show but, now that ability comes with the huge cost of keeping items away from fans at a reasonable price.

I'm also sure this has been talked about but, as an aging fan base that, most likely, earns more income than their younger selves we have the ability to purchase a poster or whatever online for a premium without having the hassle of standing outside the venue for 5 hours. This may also be why the market has changed. If it were as simple as walking IN the show grabbing whatever and going to your seat and having your face melted then I believe their would be no room flippers.

Limiting the amount of items to purchase won't cure this completely. I believe what will is limiting the amount of items one can purchase BEFORE the show INSIDE the venue. After the show whatever is leftover can be purchased freely. Now the market is dictated ONLY by those not at the show or that were too busy not wanting to get to the venue early enough to buy or wanting to wait in a line at all. The market is not dictated by some guy in a green shirt who can give a rat's ass about what the setlist is.

I don't want to speak for the OP but, I think this is the basis of the frustration of people who flip.

And today is the only show in the USA in 2015! I am excited to share it with some great people.

Enjoy.
    allow only those with a TICKET TO THE SHOW buy merch, and limit the items to 1 per person. that would solve it all.

having those stupid trucks outside the venue to hawk pj wares is ridiculous.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    ^^^ I agree with that. I don't understand why 10C does that. Sometimes I get the feeling that 10C actually loves flippers.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

If I went on the Lost Dogs forum...
    And sold a Benaroya LP for $750...people would tell me I was a GREAT guy, for selling it so cheap...
    If I sold a Riot Act LP for $150...People would tell me I was a GREAT guy!!!

You have a problem with flippers?
    I have a problem with the Lost Dogs forum.
    Personally, I believe they should have named that forum...Flipper Heaven

Well said.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

^^^ I agree with that. I don't understand why 10C does that. Sometimes I get the feeling that 10C actually loves flippers.

they know shit's going to sell out every time, in record time. no fuss, no muss, empty warehouse.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612

. I personally consider that flipping (if I'm clear, in that the person is trading the new poster right away for a 10 year old poster, and not 10 years down the road). because that person is buying that poster for their own personal gain and nothing else, taking that poster out of the hands of someone who wants it. but it is also somehow allowed on Lost Dogs all the time. people go to show, people buy poster, poster sells out, "all of a sudden" I don't need this poster (bought one for my buddy, but he bought one, so he doesn't need it!), I'm going to trade it for a 1998 poster. that's flipping. absolutely.

this.

there is an entire microeconomy here and this behavior is wildfire. I see it on the various PJ facebook groups and in lost dogs. It used to be kind of frowned upon and people would need excuses like "got a print for a friend but he already got one". Now people don't even have to do that.

Just bought X Poster 5 minutes ago, got it instead of Joe who really wanted it. Anyone got a "Kong"?

its a big reason Ive bailed on the merch game for the most part.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859

Is that OK?

Clearly NOT even miles from the point. Let's review: Flipper- A scum bag who waits in line solely to buy merch to immediately go home and eBay it for a staggering profit. They show no interest in the band or the music, NYC is FAMOUS for professional flippers. Clear? This has gotten silly. You are now clearly being argumentative with your spurious trading tale. I have made my point, IMHO, I am right and many agree with me. So go split hairs with someone else.

speedy, that's a grey area. I personally consider that flipping (if I'm clear, in that the person is trading the new poster right away for a 10 year old poster, and not 10 years down the road). because that person is buying that poster for their own personal gain and nothing else, taking that poster out of the hands of someone who wants it. but it is also somehow allowed on Lost Dogs all the time. people go to show, people buy poster, poster sells out, "all of a sudden" I don't need this poster (bought one for my buddy, but he bought one, so he doesn't need it!), I'm going to trade it for a 1998 poster. that's flipping. absolutely.

full disclosure: have I ever flipped? yes, I have. I don't condone it. I didn't feel good about it. But I did it. Haven't done it since. let the people who want it have it. I have also bought extra and sold at the original price for people who missed out.

Had I considered selling my safe travels keychain when I found out people were selling them for a ridiculous $125? I'm no liar. I did consider it. But then I decided against it. it's just fucking money. who cares.

And the people who are buying it for themselves and their friends who couldn't make it aren't?
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    cmaliszecmalisze Posts: 2,626
    edited September 2015
    RKCNDY said:

Not being confrontational but...how can you not? Do you think people buy a home with the theory that it will either be appraised at the purchase price or even below in later years? No way. We buy homes to gain equity and upon sale make even more money than originally paid.The question I responded to was...what do you think of people who buy a poster for $35 with the thought to trade it for another item worth $500 and is 10 years old. This is why I referenced buying a home. It is the same idea just on a lesser scale financially. The thing about posters and some merch in the current collecting climate is that items seem to appreciate substantially over 24 hours.

• Options
    ldent42 said:

Is that OK?

And the people who are buying it for themselves and their friends who couldn't make it aren't?
    buying something for personal gain in this context is defined as buying something with the intent on reaping some type of financial reward (whether it be monetary, or not having to exchange cash for a much more expensive item in a trade).

if you want to get all philosophical about the "gain" of being able to look at it for 35 years on your wall and recall the show with fondness as a result, be my guest, but it's obvious I was talking in more literal terms.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    cmalisze said:

RKCNDY said:

Not being confrontational but...how can you not? Do you think people buy a home with the theory that it will either be appraised at the purchase price or even below in later years? No way. We buy homes to gain equity and upon sale make even more money than originally paid.The question I responded to was...what do you think of people who buy a poster for $35 with the thought to trade it for another item worth $500 and is 10 years old. This is why I referenced buying a home. It is the same idea just on a lesser scale financially. The thing about posters and some merch in the current collecting climate is that items seem to appreciate substantially over 24 hours.

most people buy homes and live in it for years before it appreciates in value and sell it at market. they don't buy it and sell it the next day. people who flip houses are also putting a shitload of work into it to turn a profit. that's not the same as flipping band merch. that's buying, upgrading, and selling a superior product.

zero the same as flipping posters or vinyl.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759

cmalisze said:

RKCNDY said:

most people buy homes and live in it for years before it appreciates in value and sell it at market. they don't buy it and sell it the next day. people who flip houses are also putting a shitload of work into it to turn a profit. that's not the same as flipping band merch. that's buying, upgrading, and selling a superior product.

That and most states have capital gains tax laws that greatly discourage flipping houses. Not that I'm suggesting implementing such laws on poster and vinyl, haha!

I see the solution as two fold:
    1) encourage people to consume less stuff. How many people have wall space for hundreds of posters? Who really listens to all 20,000 or 2,000,000 (or what ever) records in their collection?
    2) Limit the number of purchases per item to one per person.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,751
    PJ_Soul said:

^^^Sometimes I get the feeling that 10C actually loves flippers.

Of course they do. That's how they keep the hype up for their products.
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options

cmalisze said:

RKCNDY said:

But, do you think if a house appreciated that fast people wouldn't do it? In this case the various items appreciate quickly. See the current Transformers poster. I do not blame people for trading the stuff to "upgrade." Many items appreciate slowly like a home and when are sold for a reasonable price people are commended just like Speedy said. Examples of the Benny. So what is the real difference?

• Options
    brianlux said:

cmalisze said:

RKCNDY said:

That and most states have capital gains tax laws that greatly discourage flipping houses. Not that I'm suggesting implementing such laws on poster and vinyl, haha!

1) encourage people to consume less stuff. How many people have wall space for hundreds of posters? Who really listens to all 20,000 or 2,000,000 (or what ever) records in their collection?
    I agree Brian. I went through a stage where I was buying anything music-related if it had the word "limited" on it. I literally spent probably thousands of dollars on music and music-related merch. I finally came to the realization that it's all just stuff, and I didn't need it, but it's so easy to get caught up in it. It's a constant struggle with my oldest daughter who wants every journey girl, every build a bear, etc, and I'm trying to instill in her that we simply do not need all this STUFF. But I get how kids can get all wide-eyed at Toys R Us. I "needed" every WWF wrestler that ever came out when I was a kid. LOL

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

brianlux said:

cmalisze said:

RKCNDY said:

I agree Brian. I went through a stage where I was buying anything music-related if it had the word "limited" on it. I literally spent probably thousands of dollars on music and music-related merch. I finally came to the realization that it's all just stuff, and I didn't need it, but it's so easy to get caught up in it. It's a constant struggle with my oldest daughter who wants every journey girl, every build a bear, etc, and I'm trying to instill in her that we simply do not need all this STUFF. But I get how kids can get all wide-eyed at Toys R Us. I "needed" every WWF wrestler that ever came out when I was a kid. LOL

I think I may have had every LJN WWF wrestler. Even the Ultimate Warrior. My friend just sold his to a toy store in Chicago for $145...he is a flipper!!!! Kidding, of course.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859

ldent42 said:

Is that OK?

buying something for personal gain in this context is defined as buying something with the intent on reaping some type of financial reward (whether it be monetary, or not having to exchange cash for a much more expensive item in a trade).

if you want to get all philosophical about the "gain" of being able to look at it for 35 years on your wall and recall the show with fondness as a result, be my guest, but it's obvious I was talking in more literal terms.

First time my philosophy studies have been held against me. Weird feeling, that.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    cmalisze said:

brianlux said:

cmalisze said:

RKCNDY said:

I think I may have had every LJN WWF wrestler. Even the Ultimate Warrior. My friend just sold his to a toy store in Chicago for $145...he is a flipper!!!! Kidding, of course.
    I sold my entire collection on ebay for $300+. I didn't have them all, but I had most of em.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ldent42 said:

ldent42 said:

Is that OK?

First time my philosophy studies have been held against me. Weird feeling, that.
    :lol:

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

cmalisze said:

brianlux said:

cmalisze said:

RKCNDY said:

I sold my entire collection on ebay for $300+. I didn't have them all, but I had most of em.

Mine were so beat up. I drew on them and everything. I wish I hadn't. There are so many ones I had worth a ton. The Hart Foundation, The Ultimate Warrior, Rick Rude, and even Miss Elizabeth. It is insane the prices people pay!
  • Options
    cmalisze said:

cmalisze said:

brianlux said:

cmalisze said:

RKCNDY said:

Mine were so beat up. I drew on them and everything. I wish I hadn't. There are so many ones I had worth a ton. The Hart Foundation, The Ultimate Warrior, Rick Rude, and even Miss Elizabeth. It is insane the prices people pay!
    My rarest ones (original Hogan, Andre, and Big John Studd) all had hands and/or feet chewed off by my dog on christmas day (same day I got them). But someone still wanted them.

but I still had all the posters and championship belts they came with, so I think that added to it.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

brianlux said:

cmalisze said:

RKCNDY said:

Yeah, really when it comes down to it, it's all just stuff, haha! Reminds me of an interview with J Mascis I saw somewhere. He was asked how he reacted when his house burned down and he just said, "Eh, it's just stuff. There's always more 'stuff'" LOL.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    I figure that if you have more than you can "consume", you don't need it (that's why I'm always trading records in at the record store and my collection remains relatively small and very slow to grow - I can only listen to so many records. If a record doesn't get played, or if I can't see myself ever really wanting to spin one, I don't want it). However, some people get genuine pleasure from the hunt and acquisition itself (not that I don't - I do too! Just not in large quantities), so who am I or anyone to say that they don't "need" it? Maybe they do need more than they can "consume" because they get that much pleasure out of it (assuming we need what makes us happy).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    so many other things to do in new york. i would not want to waste my time on that stuff. i have bought enough of it over the years but happily stopped for the most part years ago. still like a few things here and there but no longer a need. its all a ponzi scheme anyway unless you are wearing it, framing it or playing it. one day the secondary market will collapse and all this stuff will be worth not a whole lot. so for those who truly love what they buy great. that should be your only reason no matter what the hobby. as far as paying flippers i wouldn't do it but you can't police everyone. good for them if they find suckers to pay ridiculous prices. next time if you guys want these things organize yourselves into an all night line up crew and beat these people at their own game. but extras and sell them at cost to your ten club buddies. or use them for charity raffles etc.
  • Options

Is that OK?

Had I considered selling my safe travels keychain when I found out people were selling them for a ridiculous $125? I'm no liar. I did consider it. But then I decided against it. it's just fucking money. who cares. L

I'll take your money, if you don't want it. :smiley:
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited September 2015
    I think 10c and its members do a decent job of protecting their own from flippers.
    Generally you can tell flippers - "Dear jamily", or "hey jammers I have an uncle who has cancer and I was cleaning out my garage and discovered these 500 rare pearl jam items".
    In a way we pay to have that privilege of someone informing us if its a scam/flip etc.
    Imagine if you were allowed to flip your screen name.
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    What's the going rate for an unused white backspacer?
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,360
    Wma31394 said:

$35. I'll take it ;)
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    Wma31394 said:

$27.50 on Music Stack. I'll keep my black vinyl copy however. :wink:

• Options
    evdjj3jevdjj3j Old Mountains Posts: 114
    The whole PJ economy is strange, they create it and could stop it but it makes too much money. All they have to do is create enough merchandise to meet demand, but they don't. Don't blame the people on eBay, they didn't create the situation.