Options

FLIPPERS ON EBAY

Comments

• Options

I understand capitalism, I have a doctorate in philosophy, so that being said, there is a difference between "capitalism" and "greed". Why don't we go ahead and raise the price of milk by 500%, because people want milk, so why not......I'm sure the cow farmers will be happy...this is silly, people defending flippers

milk is not in short supply. food is also quite different from luxury items.

PhD aside, I think LR missed this point. Happens when one is speaking emotionally.
    Please, what is the point of supporting flippers on eBay?? And since when did a souvenir from a show become a "luxury item". I think I, not speaking emotionally, am dead on correct.
    I will scream my lungs out till it fills this room.
  • Options
    Boy have 10C fans changed over the years!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608

I understand capitalism, I have a doctorate in philosophy, so that being said, there is a difference between "capitalism" and "greed". Why don't we go ahead and raise the price of milk by 500%, because people want milk, so why not......I'm sure the cow farmers will be happy...this is silly, people defending flippers

milk is not in short supply. food is also quite different from luxury items.

PhD aside, I think LR missed this point. Happens when one is speaking emotionally.
    Please, what is the point of supporting flippers on eBay?? And since when did a souvenir from a show become a "luxury item". I think I, not speaking emotionally, am dead on correct.
    It's just an opinion of yours - being correct doesn't even come into play.
    And no one is supporting flippers I don't think. Some are neutral because the fault lies with the buyers.
    I absolutely consider collectibles luxury items. So are concert tickets, for that matter.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Well, I see where you are coming from, I think, in a way, we are saying the same thing. Well, in some ways, but I respect your opinion.
  • Options
    I expected this to be on page 4 by now, LOL
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,809
    edited September 2015
    If I went on the Lost Dogs forum...
    And sold a Benaroya LP for $750...people would tell me I was a GREAT guy, for selling it so cheap...
    If I sold a Riot Act LP for $150...People would tell me I was a GREAT guy!!!

You have a problem with flippers?
    I have a problem with the Lost Dogs forum.
    Personally, I believe they should have named that forum...Flipper Heaven
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    I also agree with you there!!
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I love Lost Dogs. You can often find better deals there than anywhere else (plus all the trading and RAK is great). I don't care if it's called flipping or not (I don't consider selling something that is 15 years old flipping. I believe flipping is buying something and immediately selling it again). Either way, I couldn't care less; any place that might be cheaper than eBay is a good thing.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    So what do you think of the person who spends $200 on that Transformer poster yesterday. ...With his intentions being to trade it for a 10 year old poster that sells for $500 on ebay?

Is that OK?
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,149

If I sold a Riot Act LP for $150...People would tell me I was a GREAT guy!!!

There's been a RA there for $175 for weeks.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options

So what do you think of the person who spends $200 on that Transformer poster yesterday. ...With his intentions being to trade it for a 10 year old poster that sells for $500 on ebay?

Is that OK?

Clearly NOT even miles from the point. Let's review: Flipper- A scum bag who waits in line solely to buy merch to immediately go home and eBay it for a staggering profit. They show no interest in the band or the music, NYC is FAMOUS for professional flippers. Clear? This has gotten silly. You are now clearly being argumentative with your spurious trading tale. I have made my point, IMHO, I am right and many agree with me. So go split hairs with someone else.
  • Options

Is that OK?

Clearly NOT even miles from the point. Let's review: Flipper- A scum bag who waits in line solely to buy merch to immediately go home and eBay it for a staggering profit. They show no interest in the band or the music, NYC is FAMOUS for professional flippers. Clear? This has gotten silly. You are now clearly being argumentative with your spurious trading tale. I have made my point, IMHO, I am right and many agree with me. So go split hairs with someone else.
    I'm not arguing anything.
    Just curious to people's opinions.
  • Options

Is that OK?

It's okay with me.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    Here's a solution: Go back to doing what Bill Graham did at the Fillmore, Avalon Ballroom, Winterland and places like that: sell posters before the show* and give free handbill sized replicas at the door. That way those who have scraped and saved just to buy a (rather expensive, in my opinion) ticket and cannot afford a (very over-priced, in my opinion) poster can at least have a souvenir handbill. When I was in high school I had a whole wall covered with them which was very cool!

*and often, even the posters were free.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

Here's a solution: Go back to doing what Bill Graham did at the Fillmore, Avalon Ballroom, Winterland and places like that: sell posters before the show* and give free handbill sized replicas at the door. That way those who have scraped and saved just to buy a (rather expensive, in my opinion) ticket and cannot afford a (very over-priced, in my opinion) poster can at least have a souvenir handbill. When I was in high school I had a whole wall covered with them which was very cool!

Cool idea, Eddie did that at his solo shows and called it "Sniper", but it was a dead wringer for Playbill!
  • Options

brianlux said:

Cool idea, Eddie did that at his solo shows and called it "Sniper", but it was a dead wringer for Playbill!
    Nice!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    I like strawberries
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,561
    JB128716 said:

I like strawberries

Yum. :sunglasses:
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,453
    To me... If I buy one poster I'm free to do with it what I please.... Frame it, put it in a portfolio, burn it, trade it or sell it. I'm entitled as the next guy to one poster.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    JB128716 said:

I like strawberries

In a smoothie... Soooooooooooooo good...........
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    on2legs said:

To me... If I buy one poster I'm free to do with it what I please.... Frame it, put it in a portfolio, burn it, trade it or sell it. I'm entitled as the next guy to one poster.

Yes.
    The key that makes this reasonable is you said one poster not fifty.
    It would really suck to know that the first 10 people in line buy up all the posters and end up burning them.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,453

on2legs said:

Yes.
    It would really suck to know that the first 10 people in line buy up all the posters and end up burning them.
    Yes. Anything beyond 1 is being uncool to your fellow fans. They should never allow you to buy more than one. Too bad if your buddy couldn't make it to the show.... I am here and I would like a poster.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    PP193448 said:

JB128716 said:

I like strawberries

YES!!!

Banana, Strawberries, a little peanut butter, coconut juice.
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Tequila, rum, or vodka???
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    I can't tell if this is a mixed up thread or a mixer thread.

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144

Well, I see where you are coming from, I think, in a way, we are saying the same thing. Well, in some ways, but I respect your opinion.

So you didn't miss the point then? Haha! 10c fans have changed!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    SJD3232SJD3232 Posts: 2,200
    edited September 2015
    PSUS2H said:

I generally dont care about these posts, it is beating a dead horse, however, what makes me laugh is when someone is reselling a limited item and tries to charge more than what ebay will let them for shipping. There is a LP up right now for $150, they guy has $4.00 shipping indicated, but in the listing says shipping is actually $5.99. Dude, done be a cheap *** and take the $4.00 and use your profits to cover the extra $2. Ha ha, I'm surprised he isnt adding the $0.57 cents per mile for driving to the post office.

It's now $0.575 cents per mile. He's cutting you a break. Get it right.
  • Options

on2legs said:

Yes.
    I do support item limits, and think they should be low.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    JB128716 said:

PP193448 said:

JB128716 said:

I like strawberries

YES!!!

Banana, Strawberries, a little peanut butter, coconut juice.
    :nuh_uh: thread integrity!

• Options
    cmaliszecmalisze Posts: 2,626
    edited September 2015

Is that OK?

I say yes it is absolutely ok.

If that were the case then any home owner in America would be a flipper. I bought my home for $300k in 2000 but there is no way in 2015 I would sell it to you for more than that because I'm not a flipper. Absolutely not!

The question is does it help to allow people that aren't going to the show access to buy items. This is where all the madness began. People realized they could make money off items so they stand in line for that sole purpose. They even pay people to stand in line for them.

We are all giddy as can be when we don't have to carry our poster tubes into the show but, now that ability comes with the huge cost of keeping items away from fans at a reasonable price.

I'm also sure this has been talked about but, as an aging fan base that, most likely, earns more income than their younger selves we have the ability to purchase a poster or whatever online for a premium without having the hassle of standing outside the venue for 5 hours. This may also be why the market has changed. If it were as simple as walking IN the show grabbing whatever and going to your seat and having your face melted then I believe their would be no room for flippers.

Limiting the amount of items to purchase won't cure this completely. I believe what will is limiting the amount of items one can purchase BEFORE the show INSIDE the venue. After the show whatever is leftover can be purchased freely. Now the market is dictated ONLY by those not at the show or that were too busy not wanting to get to the venue early enough to buy or wanting to wait in a line at all. The market is not dictated by some guy in a green shirt who can give a rat's ass about what the setlist is.

I don't want to speak for the OP but, I think this is the basis of the frustration of people who flip.

And today is the only show in the USA in 2015! I am excited to share it with some great people.

Enjoy.
    Post edited by cmalisze on