Options

The Echoes Of Ahmed's Clock In Muslim History

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,752
    edited September 2015

^^^I'm not sure if an anti-immigrant stance is his.
    A descendant of immigrants does not imply that you carry all the same traits.
    Some yes but not all.
    Like growing up with a racist parent (or both) when you become a parent you strike that life lesson from the agenda for them. Much the same way as all people have descended from a common ancestor.

edit - relevance to the thread?....this clock guys story will not be descended in muslim history

Hasn't it been confirmed for some time that GF is anti-immigrant? I would be surprised to see him deny it.
    I'm not really sure what you mean about being a descendant of immigrants not implying that you carry all the same traits. What traits are you talking about? I don't see what personal traits have to do with anything. Are you trying to say that today's immigrants are much worse than the immigrants of yore? Or do you mean that GF's ancestors were surely undesirable in America because they were immigrants, and the shit has worn off through the generations so at this point his family-line is purified enough for America? And following that, would that mean that we can't let in immigrants now because we are no longer patient enough for them to cycle through a few generations until they are acceptable? Just trying to work out what point you're trying to make.

My dad is an immigrant. And my ancestor was the second Prime Minister of Canada. I wonder wtf that makes me?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,135

^^^I'm not sure if an anti-immigrant stance is his.
    A descendant of immigrants does not imply that you carry all the same traits.
    Some yes but not all.
    Like growing up with a racist parent (or both) when you become a parent you strike that life lesson from the agenda for them. Much the same way as all people have descended from a common ancestor.

edit - relevance to the thread?....this clock guys story will not be descended in muslim history

.....For what reason should it ever be descended Into Muslim history....none whatsoever.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    PJ_Soul said:

What are your thoughts about the fact that the America you love is a country built by immigrants GF? As a decedent of immigrants and supporter of a nation whose entire history is all about immigrants (and Natives, from whom your ancestors stole America), how do you reconcile the contradiction between that fact and your anti-immigrant stance? Genuinely curious.

I don't mind immigrant's that come here and accept our laws and customs(legally), I don't even mind a peaceful new custom here or there but forcing some customs or trying to change law to accommodate people who are guests in our country...people who say they are hiding from political corruption and then make demands ? I still say send their ass's packing back to what ever country they come from.
    and also that "we are all immigrants" thing people keep tossing around does not work for me, people seem to pick and choose who they believe are the natives, if someone really want's to see who the natives are start breaking out the DNA testing kits, also what we Americans did with this country in just a short few hundred years is in creditable ! I don't think we should just give to some American hating yahoo just because they make demands.

Godfather.

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

What are your thoughts about the fact that the America you love is a country built by immigrants GF? As a decedent of immigrants and supporter of a nation whose entire history is all about immigrants (and Natives, from whom your ancestors stole America), how do you reconcile the contradiction between that fact and your anti-immigrant stance? Genuinely curious.

I don't mind immigrant's that come here and accept our laws and customs(legally), I don't even mind a peaceful new custom here or there but forcing some customs or trying to change law to accommodate people who are guests in our country...people who say they are hiding from political corruption and then make demands ? I still say send their ass's packing back to what ever country they come from.
    and also that "we are all immigrants" thing people keep tossing around does not work for me, people seem to pick and choose who they believe are the natives, if someone really want's to see who the natives are start breaking out the DNA testing kits, also what we Americans did with this country in just a short few hundred years is in creditable ! I don't think we should just give to some American hating yahoo just because they make demands.

Godfather.

GF... 'in creditable' is a top 10 for you.

The USA really is remarkable for its accomplishments... but it must be noted that it appears the fabric is beginning to fray. And all accomplishments have been uglied somewhat in the modern era from the discerning eye's perspective. I believe real and meaningful changes are necessary- internal and external policies- for your country to continue to develop or it will continue to fragment and eventually implode. It's inevitable.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

Think sex drugs and rock n roll will always beat out oppressive doctrine. So the parents may not assimilate but second generations do. The percentage of fundamental immigrants is so small that just not going to be a problem.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen said:

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

Think sex drugs and rock n roll will always beat out oppressive doctrine. So the parents may not assimilate but second generations do. The percentage of fundamental immigrants is so small that just not going to be a problem.
    I am more concerned about that small percentage and the damage they intend to inflict, when we use words like "small percentage" how many people are we talking about ? one million, 10 million ?
    ten thousand ?....ya know I read a great post on FB last night it read " Americans don't immigrate to other countries to run from their problems....we dust off our guns and fix the problem"

Godfather.

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

GF... 'in creditable' is a top 10 for you.

The USA really is remarkable for its accomplishments... but it must be noted that it appears the fabric is beginning to fray. And all accomplishments have been uglied somewhat in the modern era from the discerning eye's perspective. I believe real and meaningful changes are necessary- internal and external policies- for your country to continue to develop or it will continue to fragment and eventually implode. It's inevitable.
    we need to shut down the boarders and re-group, fix the problems we are facing and when things get better we can think about opening borders to some.

Godfather.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    "We dust off our guns and fix the problem", and in the process create a whole pack of new problems.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659

callen said:

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

I am more concerned about that small percentage and the damage they intend to inflict, when we use words like "small percentage" how many people are we talking about ? one million, 10 million ?
    ten thousand ?....ya know I read a great post on FB last night it read " Americans don't immigrate to other countries to run from their problems....we dust off our guns and fix the problem"

Godfather.

This is stupid
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697

callen said:

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

I keep my guns clean all the time.Lol
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

callen said:

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

I keep my guns clean all the time.Lol
    And look what all that sniffing gunpowder has done to you: you think Van Halen is awesome in concert right now.

Lay off the gunpowder, man.
  • Options
    Damn you 30.
    Next your going to tell me Styx and Foriegner are to old.Damn you again
  • Options

callen said:

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

This is stupid
    do us all a huge favor and explain with all your infinite wisdom why it's stupid.

Godfather.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    rr165892 said:

Damn you 30.

.......are you saying it's not 1979 ? I just saw AC/DC with Thin Lizzy two or three years ago...Bon and Phil were there, I swear ! Thirty is lying.......

Godfather.

• Options
    edited September 2015

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

Immigrants aren't guests. Vacationers are.

I don't understand why you are so concerned about people practicing different cultural activities. It makes life and America a hell of a lot more interesting. What practices in particular bother you so much?? Maybe open yourself to them GF; stop being so vanilla. I am curious to know what cultural differences being practiced by immigrants are keeping you from living the way you want personally.

I agree that laws need to be followed - I thought that was already implied.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

Damn you 30.

Foreigner 4. What an album.

I dunnowhatyougotformrroboto... dunno... dunno
    (terrible song- great band up to that point though!)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

I don't understand why you are so concerned about people practicing different cultural activities. It makes life and America a hell of a lot more interesting. What practices in particular bother you so much?? Maybe open yourself to them GF; stop being so vanilla. I am curious to know what cultural differences being practiced by immigrants are keeping you from living the way you want personally.

...bottom line, any people that come from another country trying to escape laws and customs and then try and force those same laws and customs on Americans...sounds odd but it's happening and really all you need to do is watch the news to see what laws and customs are a problem.

Godfather.

• Options
    edited September 2015

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

...bottom line, any people that come from another country trying to escape laws and customs and then try and force those same laws and customs on Americans...sounds odd but it's happening and really all you need to do is watch the news to see what laws and customs are a problem.

Godfather.

No, I'm not seeing that on the news, or at least am not sure what you are referring to in particular. I'd like to know which customs are interfering with your own life. I don't know why you keep saying laws. Immigrants are required to follow the same laws as everyone else. If they are breaking those laws, yes, they should be arrested or fined, or whatever. What are all these laws that immigrants are breaking and getting away with it while others aren't?
  • Options

rr165892 said:

Damn you 30.

Foreigner 4. What an album.

I dunnowhatyougotformrroboto... dunno... dunno
    (terrible song- great band up to that point though!)
    Haha,I hated that song also.But love Miss America,Renegade,rockin the Paradise.
    GF,nice work with the Thin Lizzy pull.The Boys are back in town fo sho
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,947
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

No, I'm not seeing that on the news, or at least am not sure what you are referring to in particular. I'd like to know which customs are interfering with your own life. I don't know why you keep saying laws. Immigrants are required to follow the same laws as everyone else. If they are breaking those laws, yes, they should be arrested or fined, or whatever. What are all these laws that immigrants are breaking and getting away with it while others aren't?
    I think he's talking about how we are being forced to listen to foreign influenced music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQmrXt7D2iM
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Foreign influenced... I guess you could say that....
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    We were privileged to be there for Arc's first performance. Unexpected, beautifully layered (right before our eyes/ears), and fucking amazing to witness.

(I'd also point to the live-version tracks from Dead Man Walking for those other influences...plus Who You Are, etc.)
  • Options
    Makes me think (ironically?) of Faithfull -

Me you, you me, it's all related.

We all are, in ways.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    hedonist said:

We were privileged to be there for Arc's first performance. Unexpected, beautifully layered (right before our eyes/ears), and fucking amazing to witness.

(I'd also point to the live-version tracks from Dead Man Walking for those other influences...plus Who You Are, etc.)

Where was it first played?

I always thought Arc was musically influenced by Native American music (and about or in honour if the dead at Rokskilde). Is that not true? Yes, the dead man tracks seem more middle eastern or something (not a fan of those though; maybe I'm getting it wrong).
  • Options
    In San Diego, I think it was 2003? Gotta check my stub. But I believe you're correct about it being played as tribute to the nine. The influence not sure about; you could be right but I recall something about the wailing in some Pakistani music/rituals.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,947
    PJ_Soul said:

Foreign influenced... I guess you could say that....

See Arc thread on the porch. :smile:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,094

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

A country is a living breathing organism that is not resistent to change. Countries evolve. Always have. Always will. Its not an exclusive club that you were chosen for because of superior qualities: you won the geography lottery by being born there. It is selfish to believe you and "your kind" are the only deserved ones and you get to keep others out who just want what every human wants: freedom and acceptance and the ability to live their lives in peace.

People of all walks will, and should, fight for the freedom to live without cultural and religious persecution, and sometimes that means opening the minds and hearts of the law and policy makers to make sure everything is fair for all involved.

And yes, that means making allowances for groups where there was no allowance before. Its just common human decency.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

A country is a living breathing organism that is not resistent to change. Countries evolve. Always have. Always will. Its not an exclusive club that you were chosen for because of superior qualities: you won the geography lottery by being born there. It is selfish to believe you and "your kind" are the only deserved ones and you get to keep others out who just want what every human wants: freedom and acceptance and the ability to live their lives in peace.

People of all walks will, and should, fight for the freedom to live without cultural and religious persecution, and sometimes that means opening the minds and hearts of the law and policy makers to make sure everything is fair for all involved.

And yes, that means making allowances for groups where there was no allowance before. Its just common human decency.

well written and heart felt, in a perfect world I would agree with you 100% but because of individual thinking and the need for some to rule the world or even their little part of it make boarders necessary to maintain freedom and safety and not fear attack from those who want
    take freedom, land and everything else from you, it may sound paranoid to you but it's a hard fact of life, this is not the ginger bread world you are dreaming about unfortunately so we need to protect our boarders and be extremely careful of who crosses our boarders, sad as it may be it's the truth.

Godfather.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,094

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

well written and heart felt, in a perfect world I would agree with you 100% but because of individual thinking and the need for some to rule the world or even their little part of it make boarders necessary to maintain freedom and safety and not fear attack from those who want
    take freedom, land and everything else from you, it may sound paranoid to you but it's a hard fact of life, this is not the ginger bread world you are dreaming about unfortunately so we need to protect our boarders and be extremely careful of who crosses our boarders, sad as it may be it's the truth.

Godfather.
    but not everyone, not even close to 0.0000001% of immigrants want to do America any harm. just the opposite, in fact. I am not dreaming about anything. I know the score. we have had terror plots in canada as well, by the way. it's fucking scarey. but I'm not going to turn my back on all the innocents to ensure we get no criminals. that's just not how you operate a free democracy. your country was built on an open door policy, and that shouldn't change.

bad guys are going to get in whether you close your borders or put up a wall. they'll find a way, no matter what.

there are 1000x more bad guys to worry about in America that were born there than there are trying to get in.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com