Options

The Echoes Of Ahmed's Clock In Muslim History

Comments

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,833

badbrains said:

rr165892 said:

Gimme,I disagree.
    I think that "torture" or physical questioning has on many occasions provided working Intel.Not a lot would be made public.But you can bet your ass,not only within active hot zones ,but also all through all the placesblack ops conduct clandestine operations.
    I've never been one to advocate for cruelty,but I do think there is a time and place where it becomes a necessity.Sad truth.It happens a lot more then any of us hear about.

Sorry RR, couldn't disagree with you more. It NEVER works. Let me water board you for 2 mins and you'll tell me anything I want to hear or anything I can make up to get you to stop. It NEVER works and studies have shown.
    studies ???? rr hit the nail on the head, we will never know what happens during interrogations only that we have avoided many terrorist attacks and most likely be cause of those interrogations.

Godfather.

We know a fair amount about what happens during interrogations. We know they don't work (see above). How do you know "only that we have avoided many terrorist attacks"?
    the only source any of us have.......the news.

Godfather.

Ah. Well, there's your problem right there.
    where does your info come from ?

Godfather.

Not sure if this was a serious question, but I'll answer it anyway.

I don't watch any tv news, mostly because I don't watch any tv. I read a local daily newspaper in print, and parts of several other online newspapers daily, depending on time availability. One or two of them are American, but others are Canadian and I also make sure to read various European sites to get a more balanced view. For things that particularly interest me I read longer form articles. Because I work in mental health, I've read quite a bit about how our brains work, including some of the original research on how cognition and behaviour is affected by stressful situations such as you'd encounter during torture. What I've read has convinced me of my conclusion in the earlier post, which is that torture produces unreliable information and actually interferes with the process of getting useful and valid information.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    dignin said:

badbrains said:

rr165892 said:

Gimme,I disagree.
    I think that "torture" or physical questioning has on many occasions provided working Intel.Not a lot would be made public.But you can bet your ass,not only within active hot zones ,but also all through all the placesblack ops conduct clandestine operations.
    I've never been one to advocate for cruelty,but I do think there is a time and place where it becomes a necessity.Sad truth.It happens a lot more then any of us hear about.

Sorry RR, couldn't disagree with you more. It NEVER works. Let me water board you for 2 mins and you'll tell me anything I want to hear or anything I can make up to get you to stop. It NEVER works and studies have shown.
    studies ???? rr hit the nail on the head, we will never know what happens during interrogations only that we have avoided many terrorist attacks and most likely be cause of those interrogations.

Godfather.

We know a fair amount about what happens during interrogations. We know they don't work (see above). How do you know "only that we have avoided many terrorist attacks"?

Godfather.

Godfather.

News, science, logic and an educated mind. Where does yours come from?
    Sorry,
    but your belief that people who get C-sections for non-medicinal purposes are idiots stipulates that you are not of an educated mind.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

Sorry,
    but your belief that people who get C-sections for non-medicinal purposes are idiots stipulates that you are not of an educated mind.

Really going to put that out there? In this thread, out of the blue?

And to what end? I hope not just for the sake of being an assho....oh wait.

Come the fuck on, man.

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015
    hedonist said:

Sorry,

Really going to put that out there? In this thread, out of the blue?

And to what end? I hope not just for the sake of being an assho....oh wait.

Come the fuck on, man.

Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,833

dignin said:

badbrains said:

rr165892 said:

Gimme,I disagree.

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

Sorry,
    This is a long way from thread integrity.

Perhaps you should give yourself the finger waving guy.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited September 2015

dignin said:

badbrains said:

rr165892 said:

Gimme,I disagree.

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

Sorry,
    :nuh_uh:
    Post edited by WhatYouTaughtMe on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    This thread is becoming aother time bomb. A bomb about the size of a single cap in a cap gun.

Pop!

And maybe a little random shrapnel from neighboring threads.

Zing!

And mix in a few frayed nerves.

Snap!

OK, everybody into the lounge car!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

This thread is becoming aother time bomb. A bomb about the size of a single cap in a cap gun.

Pop!

And maybe a little random shrapnel from neighboring threads.

Zing!

And mix in a few frayed nerves.

Snap!

OK, everybody into the lounge car!

Pass the doob bro
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

badbrains said:

rr165892 said:

Gimme,I disagree.

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

Not sure if this was a serious question, but I'll answer it anyway.

I don't watch any tv news, mostly because I don't watch any tv. I read a local daily newspaper in print, and parts of several other online newspapers daily, depending on time availability. One or two of them are American, but others are Canadian and I also make sure to read various European sites to get a more balanced view. For things that particularly interest me I read longer form articles. Because I work in mental health, I've read quite a bit about how our brains work, including some of the original research on how cognition and behaviour is affected by stressful situations such as you'd encounter during torture. What I've read has convinced me of my conclusion in the earlier post, which is that torture produces unreliable information and actually interferes with the process of getting useful and valid information.
    awesome answer, you work in the mental health field ?......you and I will never have a beer and a sit down HAHHAHHAHHHAHAH !!!! but, really cool job !, I have read lots of stuff on how the brain works just out of curiosity and it seems for a small part the brain and how works is some theory and fact as well, but back to the question, yes it was a serious question and I read different articles as well and then base my own opinion...not the always popular opinion LOL ! and sometimes depending on the topic it's mostly bit's and pieces of several news articles(that's as honest as I can be)

Godfather.

• Options
    And again, when I raises the same concerns before the main stream media does, I'm a freak. But now that the rest of the world is sharing my views what I said two days ago is making a little more sense now right?

Remember we're discussing this over how it looks, not the actual gesture.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    I don't know why I even bothered taking the time to read that "article". What nonsense garbage.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    The extreme elements in America and beyond seem to be in full swing to try and discredit this kid and try and knock him down a peg or two. He seems to be a smart and strong kid so I'm sure he will rise above all the nonsense.

And thanks Hedo, Often, Whatyou for calling out one of our resident AMT members who post when they find time to come out from under their bridge.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125

And again, when I raises the same concerns before the main stream media does, I'm a freak. But now that the rest of the world is sharing my views what I said two days ago is making a little more sense now right?

......Making a little sense right now?.....what like giving the family a little torture to get some supposed Intel. Young lady I THINK you are smarter that.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options

we're on the same page kiddo, on a lot of things.

Godfather.

• Options
    dignin said:

I don't know why I even bothered taking the time to read that "article". What nonsense garbage.
    your opinion is your opinion, can you without any doubt disprove any of that article ?

Godfather.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,893

dignin said:

your opinion is your opinion, can you without any doubt disprove any of that article ?

Godfather.
    Can you prove any of it? Nothing more than conjecture in large part.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited September 2015

dignin said:

Godfather.
    Can you without a doubt prove any of that article? It works both ways. Sorry Mickey, I guess I missed your post right above mine.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

dignin said:

Godfather.
    hahha I was waiting for someone to past that comment, I posted the link the burden of proof is on you (as I back out slowly)

I'm willing to bet this horse and pony show about the poor kid and his "clock" gets better.....aaaaand I'm willing to bet daddy has a little to do with it, there, that's my conjecture can you prove me wrong LOL !!!

Godfather.

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    edited September 2015
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125

mickeyrat said:

dignin said:

Godfather.
    hahha I was waiting for someone to past that comment, I posted the link the burden of proof is on you (as I back out slowly)

I'm willing to bet this horse and pony show about the poor kid and his "clock" gets better.....aaaaand I'm willing to bet daddy has a little to do with it, there, that's my conjecture can you prove me wrong LOL !!!

Godfather.

You posted this from the fair and balanced channel yet a few days ago I posted the same in this thread and MORE that this could be a fraud yet not a word from you then. Why is that?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Jason P said:
    oh yeah.....he made that for sure....in a briefcase ? WTF ????? HAHAHHAHHAHHAH !!!!!!!

Godfather.

• Options

mickeyrat said:

dignin said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

No. Burden on you as the "prosecutor" putting forth these ideas. Otherwise its a troll posting.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    What's more likely?

A- a young kid threw together a clock using parts of an alarm clock to try and impress someone?

Or

B- It was a carefully planned hoax, aided by his father to draw up some kind of controversy?

• Options

Doubts raised does not a scandle make.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

Thread's not about you (and pretty sure no one called you a freak. For the love of Pete (or god), PLEASE let this Eeyore aspect go. So much more fun and informative without, if you're open to it).

I know that perception plays a part - a huge part - but perhaps that actual gesture should be taken into account as well.

And GF - facts, not speculation?
  • Options

Jason P said:
    What's more likely?

A- a young kid threw together a clock using parts of an alarm clock to try and impress someone?

Or

B- It was a carefully planned hoax, aided by his father to draw up some kind of controversy?

I don't know the intentions, but he is a fraudulent inventor.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Jason P said:
    What's more likely?

Or

Did he claim to have invented or just built?

• Options
    Jason P said:

Jason P said:
    What's more likely?

Or

Maybe so, but he's just a kid. I'd be in deep shit if I was judged on the things I did when I was fourteen. Hahaha
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Jason P said:

Jason P said:
    What's more likely?

Or

Did he claim to have invented or just built?
    In that case he is a fraudulent builder.

I can't just staple my computer to a wall and say "Hey, look at the computer I built!".