What the hell happen in Virginia??

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,627
    mcgruff10 said:

James Holmes was a responsible gun owner until he wasn't

Dylan Roof was a responsible gun owner until he wasn't

Adam Lanza's mother was a responsible gun owner until she wasn't

Bryce Williams or whatever his name was was a responsible gun owner until he wasn't

Shall I go on?

come on bro, adam lanza's mom was murdered by adam, a little different. after he murdered her he got the gun safe keys and we know the rest.
    Fair enough, but Adam lanza's mom bought her lunatic son an AR 15, so maybe I should have left her out all together
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,066
    mcgruff10 said:

James Holmes was a responsible gun owner until he wasn't

Dylan Roof was a responsible gun owner until he wasn't

Adam Lanza's mother was a responsible gun owner until she wasn't

Bryce Williams or whatever his name was was a responsible gun owner until he wasn't

Shall I go on?

come on bro, adam lanza's mom was murdered by adam, a little different. after he murdered her he got the gun safe keys and we know the rest.
    what did he murder her with? I can't seem to remember...
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,985
    here's a recent news report of how a gun is used to defend:
    NORTH LAS VEGAS (KSNV News3LV) – It's a parent's nightmare – the children are home alone when robbers break in.

Two young men are caught on surveillance video breaking in to Kieawa Mason's home.

His 14-year-old son, Andrew, and his younger twins were the only ones home. Andrew and his siblings were trained not to answer when anyone knocked.

"Eventually I hear a thud on the door so I assume, he's breaking in," Andrew said.

The kids ran upstairs and followed what their dad had told them to do in this scenario. They hid in a closet.

"He taught me what to do. I had a rifle I had a cell phone, called 911. I was just prepared for it," Andrew said.

The thieves start packing up a silver sports car with stolen goods. But Andrew was still in the closet with his brother, rifle in hand.

One suspect eventually found them, saw the gun and ran. Surveillance cameras caught the pair speeding off.

Kieawa Mason was proud of his son's quick thinking and furious someone would rattle their peace of mind.

"It truly angers you,” he said. “My wife and I work very hard. We don't bother anyone, and for someone to come violate our family our household, it really is upsetting."

Kieawa Mason took to social media and posted photos of the criminals online. He said he received a great response and tells News 3 he's very confident they'll be caught.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,716
    I always thought that perimeter alarms in the home were a good idea for when you`re leaving your kids at home alone. I would definitely prefer that over giving my kid a gun..... but I`m Canadian, so, you know.... ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    mcgruff10 said:

NORTH LAS VEGAS (KSNV News3LV) – It's a parent's nightmare – the children are home alone when robbers break in.

Two young men are caught on surveillance video breaking in to Kieawa Mason's home.

His 14-year-old son, Andrew, and his younger twins were the only ones home. Andrew and his siblings were trained not to answer when anyone knocked.

"Eventually I hear a thud on the door so I assume, he's breaking in," Andrew said.

The kids ran upstairs and followed what their dad had told them to do in this scenario. They hid in a closet.

"He taught me what to do. I had a rifle I had a cell phone, called 911. I was just prepared for it," Andrew said.

The thieves start packing up a silver sports car with stolen goods. But Andrew was still in the closet with his brother, rifle in hand.

One suspect eventually found them, saw the gun and ran. Surveillance cameras caught the pair speeding off.

Kieawa Mason was proud of his son's quick thinking and furious someone would rattle their peace of mind.

"It truly angers you,” he said. “My wife and I work very hard. We don't bother anyone, and for someone to come violate our family our household, it really is upsetting."

Kieawa Mason took to social media and posted photos of the criminals online. He said he received a great response and tells News 3 he's very confident they'll be caught.

good ending, I hope these guy's get caught.

Godfather.

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    mcgruff10 said:

That still doesn't change the fact that that particular gun was designed and made to kill someone or something.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

That still doesn't change the fact that that particular gun was designed and made to kill someone or something.
    Grasping for straws huh?
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    1. There's nothing to suggest that the burglars wouldn't have ran upon finding anyone in the home without a rifle.
    2. If the burglar found the kids hiding with the rifle and didn't run it goes one of two ways. Either he takes the weapon away from the scared 14 year old kid and goes from being a burglar to an armed burglar with 3 minors as hostages, OR the 14 year old kid shoots him in front of the two younger kids and they're all even more traumatized by the event than they are now. The kid might miss, wound him, or kill him, but whichever happens he still fired a loaded weapon at another human being at the age of 14.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Grasping for straws huh?
    What am I grasping for? Are you actually going to say that rifle was made for defending someone's home? Because if you are, I'm going to laugh at you for the rest of my waking hours tonight. Just sayin.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,165

PJ_Soul said:

benjs said:

callen said:

GF, If all guns in US disappeared tomorrow do you think murders would go down?

yes and no butts about it, that's true with anything that causes death tho, eleminate cars and truck and watch traffic deaths decline to zero, eleminate booze and watch booze related deaths drop to zero and so on.

Godfather.

When innocents die in numbers that label gun assaults an EPIDEMIC, and you have a cure, why are you so damn hasty to label it unconstitutional to consider stricter gun reforms, as opposed to saying your pathetic constitutional rights - long since antiquated - ought to be revised in the interests of your country which you claim to love?
    you live in canada ? has anybody ever estamated the amount of illegal guns in your country ? honestly I'm just curious because I'll bet there are a grip of them and murders with or without guns how many a year...1-2-200 ? more ? I know for a fact you have a few outlaw clubs in canada and you can't tell me they are unarmed.

Godfather.

Doesn't our population equal all of theirs together?
    So someone called it above that someone wouldn't know how to read the chart. hahah.

Per 100,000....
    No I believe I asked the question " Doesn't our population equal all of theirs"…

I guess someone doesn't know how to read the question?
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,627

PJ_Soul said:

benjs said:

callen said:

yes and no butts about it, that's true with anything that causes death tho, eleminate cars and truck and watch traffic deaths decline to zero, eleminate booze and watch booze related deaths drop to zero and so on.

Godfather.

When innocents die in numbers that label gun assaults an EPIDEMIC, and you have a cure, why are you so damn hasty to label it unconstitutional to consider stricter gun reforms, as opposed to saying your pathetic constitutional rights - long since antiquated - ought to be revised in the interests of your country which you claim to love?
    you live in canada ? has anybody ever estamated the amount of illegal guns in your country ? honestly I'm just curious because I'll bet there are a grip of them and murders with or without guns how many a year...1-2-200 ? more ? I know for a fact you have a few outlaw clubs in canada and you can't tell me they are unarmed.

Godfather.

So someone called it above that someone wouldn't know how to read the chart. hahah.

Per 100,000....
    No I believe I asked the question " Doesn't our population equal all of theirs"…

Except for the fact you were referring to a chart in which population size is irrelevant
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

benjs said:

callen said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Per 100,000....

Except for the fact you were referring to a chart in which population size is irrelevant
    I was setting up for my next question which doesn't matter, you are either for guns or against them, right?
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844

PJ_Soul said:

benjs said:

callen said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Per 100,000....

I was setting up for my next question which doesn't matter, you are either for guns or against them, right?
    :lol: - so you wanted to "set up" for your next question but were too lazy to do the math yourself?

Okay, that got me interested in looking into this. In fact, my rough math is that the total population of the other countries on the map is around 460 million, compared to 320 million for the US.

Does that set up nicely for your next point, or not?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

benjs said:

callen said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Per 100,000....

:lol: - so you wanted to "set up" for your next question but were too lazy to do the math yourself?

Okay, that got me interested in looking into this. In fact, my rough math is that the total population of the other countries on the map is around 460 million, compared to 320 million for the US.

Nothing I say is going to change the minds of anyone but I'll try…

With other countries and their smaller populations they don't incur nearly the "problems" we do.

What is their welfare % to ours? What is the middle-class ratio to population to ours? What is their standard of living for their population compared to ours? Will I look these up? No. I believe that all these things have factors in them. Our population as a whole has a HUGE difference on things.

Basically I believe that you can't compare Germany for example with us, even if you use the 100,000 breakdown.

I just don't think that it's a fair comparison. That was my "set up"...
  • Options
    Isn't this thread and most of the gun debate relative to the United states. So who cares what Zimbabwes GNP is? Why does it matter if Austrias unemployment rate is 3%?
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

benjs said:

callen said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Per 100,000....

With other countries and their smaller populations they don't incur nearly the "problems" we do.

What is their welfare % to ours? What is the middle-class ratio to population to ours? What is their standard of living for their population compared to ours? Will I look these up? No. I believe that all these things have factors in them. Our population as a whole has a HUGE difference on things.

Basically I believe that you can't compare Germany for example with us, even if you use the 100,000 breakdown.

A pretty good recovery.

Without the numbers for the things you question, its hard to speculate to what you're getting at.

Offering an analogy for what you are trying to say: if you have a small school with 100 students... it will have a much different tone than a larger school of 1000 students.

With the assist, I'm still not feeling you. The statistics that damn the pro gun side of the debate cannot be dismissed with a vague notion of disproportionate populations skewing numbers.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

Isn't this thread and most of the gun debate relative to the United states. So who cares what Zimbabwes GNP is? Why does it matter if Austrias unemployment rate is 3%?

You see the death rate by guns in Zimbabwe? I'm sure that there are parallels to be drawn?

I think that it does matter...
  • Options

In the history of guns, not one has ever been designed to protect. Every single gun ever made was deigned to kill. Dont kid yourself.

taser pistol
    riot control (shoots a bean bag)
    rubber bullets
    starting pistol
    B.B gun
    and there are target guns, I've owned a few

Godfather.

So why don't people use these? Why does a regular civilian have to own an AK-47?
    can you give me a list of crimes committed with an ak-47? do you honestly think a criminals weapon of choice is an ak-47? maybe because it's so easily concealed? or perhaps it's so cheap to buy? you anti-gunners always go after the same two weapons and statistically the category in which they are under are used in less than 5% of all murders in the us.
    in the event that anything ever goes down in the us the ak-47 is THE weapon that will never ever jam in the event of an emergency. it's not that accurate but like i said, it won't ever jam and that's why it's appealing to many people.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

benjs said:

callen said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Per 100,000....

I think if you're going to make arguments about social factors you have to at least look up the facts on those social factors, rather than just saying "I think something in there might be true but I don't care enough to look it up and make a cogent argument".

I don't see how simple population size could have anything to do with it. If you were making an argument around population density, then that might have some merit; for instance, if you posited that higher density led to increased conflict, increased crime, or some such. However, almost all of those other countries have a higher density (other than Canada and Australia), so that doesn't work.

However, I'll say one thing; I do think you are right that there is something different about the USA and Americans. Unfortunately, that different thing just comes back to a preoccupation with guns.
  • Options
    Why? Parallels could be drawn out of anything. If you want to complicate issues, bring up irrelevant statistics. The bottom line remains guns kill. Why? Because every gun made in the history of the world, is designed to kill people. Regardless of the intent of the person. Guns are not designed to scare people into not robbing their home.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

benjs said:

callen said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Per 100,000....

A pretty good recovery.

Without the numbers for the things you question, its hard to speculate to what you're getting at.

Offering an analogy for what you are trying to say: if you have a small school with 100 students... it will have a much different tone than a larger school of 1000 students.

With the assist, I'm still not feeling you. The statistics that damn the pro gun side of the debate cannot be dismissed with a vague notion of disproportionate populations skewing numbers.
    I understand your reluctance but it HAS to make a difference on things. I find it hard to believe that it doesn't.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,375

Exactly this is an American problem people need to own up to that before any progress can be made on gun regulations that's how far we are from any change ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Yes you can draw social factors. Look up Belize and their 100,000 per firearm death rate. It's 29,000 population has a 21% firearm death rate. Something should be said about that, no?
    What the hell is going in Belize?!?
    So I am actually looking up things now because I was curious if what I "thought" has merit and I do believe it does.
  • Options

Yes you can draw social factors. Look up Belize and their 100,000 per firearm death rate. It's 29,000 population has a 21% firearm death rate. Something should be said about that, no?
    So I am actually looking up things now because I was curious if what I "thought" has merit and I do believe it does.

But what is it that you think, specifically? "Social factors" is pretty broad. All countries have social factors. And Belize is not that big, so your argument about size goes out the window.

I'm not disagreeing that this is a multifaceted problem but you need to be specific as to what factors you think are relevant.
  • Options

But what is it that you think, specifically? "Social factors" is pretty broad. All countries have social factors. And Belize is not that big, so your argument about size goes out the window.

I'm not disagreeing that this is a multifaceted problem but you need to be specific as to what factors you think are relevant.
    Agreed^.

As for size my argument goes back to social factors in those countries. That is one thing I believe that has a huge impact.

In perspective I'm wondering where the most gun violence happens in the US? Is it in Beverly hills and the Hamptons or Crenshaw and the Bronx?

This is where I can draw a line of "Social factors".
  • Options

I don't live in belize. So yes, it's irrelevant.
  • Options

I don't live in belize. So yes, it's irrelevant.
    HAHA Touche'!!!
  • Options

If you're comparing your country to to a developing island nation that's fine. It doesn't change the fact that the US is far more violent when it comes to firearms than any other developed nation in the world. It's like comparing driving fatalities in the 1st world where road rules are structured to the chaos of driving in India or China where the rules are nothing more than guidelines. It hardly comes as a surprise that China and India have far more fatalities per 100,000 miles travelled than any developed nation. Remember, if you set the bar low enough you'll always come out on top.

• Options

If you're comparing your country to to a developing island nation that's fine. It doesn't change the fact that the US is far more violent when it comes to firearms than any other developed nation in the world. It's like comparing driving fatalities in the 1st world where road rules are structured to the chaos of driving in India or China where the rules are nothing more than guidelines. It hardly comes as a surprise that China and India have far more fatalities per 100,000 miles travelled than any developed nation. Remember, if you set the bar low enough you'll always come out on top.

Fair enough but I did ask the questions about social factors earlier.

There is no way that it can't be a measuring stick. Just think about it.

Please just try and venture outside the box and look at it in a different light. I have traveled the world and have seen many a thing and this is from my experiences.

I'm going to bow out for the night. I'll enjoy the comments though...
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,458

Speaking of pixelating boobs...

I'm a Canadian and a few days ago... I woke up on the couch- about 130am- to full on porn (penis/vagina) on Movie Central. I was stunned. I quickly shut it off before one of my kids (my son stays up late gaming with his buddies on occasion) might venture into the room and think, "Dad. Dad what are you watching?"

I guess what I'm saying is don't fall asleep watching Canadian cable television. Or stay awake when watching Canadian cable television LOL!

Haha
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”