Options

What the hell happen in Virginia??

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,458

I keep hearing a guns main purpose is "for killing" when the truth is, it's for PROTECTION. That's the purpose of a gun. You own a pistol so when some meth head breaks in you have a fighting chance against someone with super human strength.

My mother, 88, had a revolver that has sat in her nightstand the last 50 years. She's never shot anyone, never hurt anyone, and the GUN ITSELF sure as hell never hurt anyone.

I'll say it again, guns don't kill people. People do. When people use guns to kill and go to jail, and then kill again, they aren't using guns. They're using whatever they can because IF SOMEONE WANTS TO KILL, THEY WILL. Regardless of Having a gun or not.

).

A weapon, arm, or armament is any device used in order to inflict damage or harm to living beings, structures, or systems.
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options

Anybody who believes that guns were designed for any other purpose than killing is simply fooling themselves in order to justify gun ownership. You have every right to own one, shoot one and if you see fit kill your neighbours with one before you are subsequently arrested but it doesn't change the fact that your weapons are just that; instruments designed to make you an effective killer.

I fully agree
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Ill say it simple
    More guns = More deaths
    Less guns = Less deaths

Just choose which side u are
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,007
    interesting: By Dave Boyer - The Washington Times - Friday, August 28, 2015
    The White House conceded Friday that new gun regulations probably wouldn’t have prevented the gunman who murdered two television journalists in southwestern Virginia this week.

White House press secretary Josh Earnest said it appears that a proposal championed by President Obama to require background checks on purchases at gun shows “would not have applied in this particular case.”
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    mcgruff10 said:

The White House conceded Friday that new gun regulations probably wouldn’t have prevented the gunman who murdered two television journalists in southwestern Virginia this week.

White House press secretary Josh Earnest said it appears that a proposal championed by President Obama to require background checks on purchases at gun shows “would not have applied in this particular case.”

Of course they wouldn't have helped. The background checks don't do enough. But they can. This guy could have been stopped from legally buying a gun.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,218

mcgruff10 said:

Of course they wouldn't have helped. The background checks don't do enough. But they can. This guy could have been stopped from legally buying a gun.
    Question?

What would would have been a "red flag" in the background check for this guy? Just Curious?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,727
    edited August 2015

PJ_Soul said:

benjs said:

callen said:

GF, If all guns in US disappeared tomorrow do you think murders would go down?

yes and no butts about it, that's true with anything that causes death tho, eleminate cars and truck and watch traffic deaths decline to zero, eleminate booze and watch booze related deaths drop to zero and so on.

Godfather.

When innocents die in numbers that label gun assaults an EPIDEMIC, and you have a cure, why are you so damn hasty to label it unconstitutional to consider stricter gun reforms, as opposed to saying your pathetic constitutional rights - long since antiquated - ought to be revised in the interests of your country which you claim to love?
    you live in canada ? has anybody ever estamated the amount of illegal guns in your country ? honestly I'm just curious because I'll bet there are a grip of them and murders with or without guns how many a year...1-2-200 ? more ? I know for a fact you have a few outlaw clubs in canada and you can't tell me they are unarmed.

Godfather.

Doesn't our population equal all of theirs together?
    So someone called it above that someone wouldn't know how to read the chart. hahah.

Per 100,000....
    No I believe I asked the question " Doesn't our population equal all of theirs"…

I guess someone doesn't know how to read the question?
    Except for the fact you were referring to a chart in which population size is irrelevant
    I was setting up for my next question which doesn't matter, you are either for guns or against them, right?
    :lol: - so you wanted to "set up" for your next question but were too lazy to do the math yourself?

Okay, that got me interested in looking into this. In fact, my rough math is that the total population of the other countries on the map is around 460 million, compared to 320 million for the US.

Does that set up nicely for your next point, or not?
    Nothing I say is going to change the minds of anyone but I'll try…

With other countries and their smaller populations they don't incur nearly the "problems" we do.

What is their welfare % to ours? What is the middle-class ratio to population to ours? What is their standard of living for their population compared to ours? Will I look these up? No. I believe that all these things have factors in them. Our population as a whole has a HUGE difference on things.

Basically I believe that you can't compare Germany for example with us, even if you use the 100,000 breakdown.

I just don't think that it's a fair comparison. That was my "set up"...
    No countries with more comparable populations have this problem either though Tempo. It is an American problem, not a countries with high populations problem. Besides, it would probably be population density that would matter if what you were thinking is true, not overall population. I.e. compare a city in the US with 1 million people and a city anywhere with 1 million people. The US still has the gun problem when you look at it that way. And the standard of living of those countries is about the same as the US, so I think those are comparable too.
    I see someone asked about Canada up there, which is probably the most comparable country in terms of the other factors you brought up combined woth the most similar culture outside of the massive difference when it comes to being gun crazy.... FWIW, almost everyone in Canada lives near the US border, so while it's a big country with few people, the population density in cities is still pretty high, and if you compare our biggest cities or most heavily populated regions with comparably sized cities or regions in the US, the US still has the gun problem. It is CLEAR that Americans have a special obsession with guns that people in other developed countries don't have (or in less highly developed countries for thst matter. The countries with over a billion don't even have this problem). And i don't think it serves anyone well to try and pretend that maybe it's not a problem particular to the American people by using excuses like population or the size if the middle class. I believe that is what you call denial.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388

This should end the debate
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen said:

This should end the debate
    Afraid not, see my post above this one.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Guns don't protect. If someone wants to shoot and kill you your done.

Officer with gun and training. No help.

http://m.click2houston.com/news/sheriffs-deputy-fatally-shot-shooter-remains-at-large/34983706
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I looked further into it. The US is by far the worst for gun deaths in the economic leaders of the world, and it 12th in the world overall, only beaten out in places where gang crime is raging out of control and/or where there is war and ongoing extreme conflict. So Mexico and Colombia, Brazil and Panama beat them because of the drug cartels (in all cases most deaths are within the criminal gangs). Panama specifically has basically no gun regulation btw, and same with several of the others listed btwn and apparently the citizens of Panama are begging for it. Where there are regulations the deaths are almost completely restricted to criminal activity). Swasiland beat the US, as does South Africa, the Phillipines, and some other third world countries that I can't recall.
    But the US still beats all of those strife - ridden developing nations that should never share a list with a country like the USA in terms of violence and crime but do anyway (and any American should be horrified by just that): the US beats the pants off of all other countries in the world when it comes to school shootings.

I would say that one thing that this all tells us is that population has absolutely nothing to do with gun deaths. It is ALL about culture and about a lot of people being out of control within a nation. That the USA is one of those nations, considering it's relative privilege and wealth and position in the world and relative political and economic stability and high standard of living, is absolutely mind boggling, and totally indefensible.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I looked further into it. The US is by far the worst for gun deaths in the economic leaders of the world, and it 12th in the world overall, only beaten out in places where gang crime is raging out of control and/or where there is war and ongoing extreme conflict. So Mexico and Colombia, Brazil and Panama beat them because of the drug cartels (in all cases most deaths are within the criminal gangs). Panama specifically has basically no gun regulation btw, and smae with severalmof the others losted btw. Where there are regulations the deaths are almost completely restricted to criminal activity). Swasiland beat the US, as does South Africa, the Phillipines, and some other third world countries that I can't recall.
    But the US still beats all of those strife - ridden developing nations that should never share a list with a country like the USA in terms of violence and crime but do anyway (and any American should be horrified by just that): the US beats the pants off of all other countries in the world when it comes to school shootings.

You've said something here that begs repeating: it 'seems' that many of the US gun deaths are average joes. While Mexico features several deaths of the grotesque variety... from what I can gather... these deaths are cartel related and victims most often are gang members or police officers.

While it definitely has its share of gang violence contributing to a large portion of its 20,000 gun homicides per annum... the US yields countless cases where neighbours are shooting their neighbours (so to speak). I'm not sure other countries exhibit the same trait to the same degree.

I feel this is because the US is the most armed country in the world per capita. It's number one and echoing which Dimi said in a post about 10 back... more guns=more deaths by guns.

Period.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I looked further into it. The US is by far the worst for gun deaths in the economic leaders of the world, and it 12th in the world overall, only beaten out in places where gang crime is raging out of control and/or where there is war and ongoing extreme conflict. So Mexico and Colombia, Brazil and Panama beat them because of the drug cartels (in all cases most deaths are within the criminal gangs). Panama specifically has basically no gun regulation btw, and same with several of the others listed btwn and apparently the citizens of Panama are begging for it. Where there are regulations the deaths are almost completely restricted to criminal activity). Swasiland beat the US, as does South Africa, the Phillipines, and some other third world countries that I can't recall.

I would say that one thing that this all tells us is that population has absolutely nothing to do with gun deaths. It is ALL about culture and about a lot of people being out of control within a nation. That the USA is one of those nations, considering it's relative privilege and wealth and position in the world and relative political and economic stability and high standard of living, is absolutely mind boggling, and totally indefensible.

The US is an economic leader but also has piss poor social programs and the biggest gap between poor and rich.

We let our insane/mental people roam the streets(they aren't the ones doing the shootings I know that)

We have the worst vacation practices compared to other "developed" countries, maternity laws, etc. etc.

I believe all these factors have a significant impact on a culture.

• Options

mcgruff10 said:

Question?

What would would have been a "red flag" in the background check for this guy? Just Curious?
    That he was fired from a job and police had to be there and the building had to be cleared when he cleaned out his desk? The lawsuits he filed for discrimination? The several complaints to HR?

If background checks could be detailed, this could have prevented him from legally buying that gun.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

Question?

That he was fired from a job and police had to be there and the building had to be cleared when he cleaned out his desk? The lawsuits he filed for discrimination? The several complaints to HR?

If background checks could be detailed, this could have prevented him from legally buying that gun.
    You are tip toeing into very dangerous territory with said background checks.

If I got slandered by someone and it goes on a "report" then I can't own a gun?

Everything you just listed can then be used against you.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

Question?

No, I didn't say that. But if you take all of those things, does that not equal one red flag?
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346

The US is an economic leader but also has piss poor social programs and the biggest gap between poor and rich.

We let our insane/mental people roam the streets(they aren't the ones doing the shootings I know that)

We have the worst vacation practices compared to other "developed" countries, maternity laws, etc. etc.

Right on.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

Question?

No, I didn't say that. But if you take all of those things, does that not equal one red flag?
    In Hindsight, yes.

For everyone, no.

I don't have a formula for a thorough enough background check. That would scare way too many people.

• Options
    edited August 2015

PJ_Soul said:

:confused: The USA still has a very high quality of life compared to most countries, and the huge gap in wealth isn't because everyone is poor. It's because the rich are so dammed rich. I know the middle class is shrinking, but Americans still live in much greater comfort and luxury than most. I also believe that you are fooling yourself about the social support etc etc if you're comparing to the rest of the world. Sure, some first world nations beat the US there. But there are hundreds of countries thst are way worse, and only 11 of them have more gun deaths than the US.
    I really do think you're just trying to make excuses here. The obvious distinction in the US is a very unique obsession with guns. Not all the other stuff you're bringing up. And i son's think the things you mention can be used to explain that obsession either. I think what explains the obsession is YEEEEEEE HAAAAAAW! U-S-A!! The 2nd Amendment, Whoohoo! From my cold dead hands! .... if you get what I mean. Gun culture.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

:confused: The USA still has a very high quality of life compared to most countries, and the huge gap in wealth isn't because everyone is poor. It's because the rich are so dammed rich. I know the middle class is shrinking, but Americans still live in much greater comfort and luxury than most. I also believe that you are fooling yourself about the social support etc etc if you're comparing to the rest of the world. Sure, some first world nations beat the US there. But there are hundreds of countries thst are way worse, and only 11 of them have more gun deaths than the US.
    I really do think you're just trying to make excuses here. The obvious distinction in the US is a very unique obsession with guns. Not all the other stuff you're bringing up. And i son's think the things you mention can be used to explain that obsession either. I think what explains the obsession is YEEEEEEE HAAAAAAW! U-S-A!! The 2nd Amendment, Whoohoo! From my cold dead hands! .... if you get what I mean. Gun culture.
    That list up above that someone posted. Look at all those countries and tell me which one has worse social practices than the US…

I do agree that the US has a love for guns. No doubt about it. Never disagreed with that.

I'm also looking at it from a completely different view that everyone wants to just dismiss.

There is definitely something wrong with a society as a whole when you feel the urge to go on a killing spree.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    edited August 2015
    Post edited by Leezestarr313 on
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,995
    edited August 2015
    I'm curious to know how many here on the PJ forum have actually been the victim of a violent crime. I have had friends/family murdered, stabbed, raped and beaten while going through their day to day routines. Once something like that happens to you or someone you love, you realize that the police are there to solve crimes after they happen. It is not their responsibility to prevent these things, all that is required of them is to conduct an investigation and (hopefully) arrest those responsible.

The sad fact is that many American's realize that they have to be their own first-responders thus explaining the perceived need for guns for protection.

Those of you that haven't had their lives personally violated by the violent acts of other's, I envy you.

I truly wish that violence is something that becomes relegated to the past, but until then it is our responsibility as citizens of this country to determine what makes someone want to act out in violent ways in the first place.

Gun violence is a symptom of a much bigger and deeper disease that has infected our media and collective culture.
    Post edited by dudeman on
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,007
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

That list up above that someone posted. Look at all those countries and tell me which one has worse social practices than the US…

I do agree that the US has a love for guns. No doubt about it. Never disagreed with that.

I'm also looking at it from a completely different view that everyone wants to just dismiss.

There is definitely something wrong with a society as a whole when you feel the urge to go on a killing spree.
    I am talking about the 11 countries that are worse than the US. The USA has no business being amongst those numbers.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    I read a quote today attributed to Mark Twain that made me think of Godfather:

As I have said before, I never had any large respect for good spelling. That is my feeling yet. Before the spelling book came with its arbitrary forms, men unconsciously revealed shades of their characters, and also added enlightening shades of expression to what they wrote by their spelling, and so it is possible that the spelling book has been a doubtful benevolence to us.

I think GF has been unconsciously revealing his character here for a long time. Mellow drama indeed.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I think also consciously - and I appreciate it from anyone who shows themselves. It don't come easy.

GF knows where I stand, and it's reciprocated from his end.

Dude may make me :anguished: at times...fuck knows I've done the same to many - but I've also come to know aspects which I find honest, thoughtful and willing to re-examine stances and laugh at himself in the process.

Anyway...mellow here. No drama. And if GF is willing to PM me his address, I shall send him one big motherfucker of a dictionary =)

• Options
    ^^^
    Sorry GF but it is funny considering even your signature has a spelling errors in it. :smirk:

"it dosen't matter to me what a man dose for a living you understand..
    as long as his interest's don't conflict with mine".
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    It's laughable the bias the author shows by criticizing the surveys bias.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I am talking about the 11 countries that are worse than the US. The USA has no business being amongst those numbers.
    And back to my first question... What is their population?

This dance will go on forever...
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    hedonist said:

I think also consciously - and I appreciate it from anyone who shows themselves. It don't come easy.

GF knows where I stand, and it's reciprocated from his end.

Dude may make me :anguished: at times...fuck knows I've done the same to many - but I've also come to know aspects which I find honest, thoughtful and willing to re-examine stances and laugh at himself in the process.

Anyway...mellow here. No drama. And if GF is willing to PM me his address, I shall send him one big motherfucker of a dictionary =)

Don't get me wrong; no disrespect was meant to GF. In fact, I think he's on to something....
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf