Options

Another Bullsh$@ Manufactured story to provoke the race card.

Comments

• Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Again Gern,all coulda been avoided if she(regardless of his actions) just complied with a simple request.Hedos point about the radio was spot on.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited July 2015

The more I think about it, the less I like the idea of buying and maintaining cameras so every cell can be watched. Jails aren't mental hospitals. If someone thinks a prisoner is suicidal, then they will be put on a suicide watch. I have no idea what that entails, but I'm sure it includes more attention on the prisoner. It would be extremely expensive to add personnel or electronics to watch prisoners 24/7.

Unfortunately the publics decreased appetite for spending on mental services for the poor our local jails have I deed turned I to our mental health facilities.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rr165892 said:

Again Gern,all coulda been avoided if she(regardless of his actions) just complied with a simple request.Hedos point about the radio was spot on.

Why regardless of HIS actions? HE is the one being paid by tax money to protect citizens. SHE is exercising her rights (without brains or class, but class is not a requisite to rights), so why do you refuse to acknowledge his share of the blame?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    rr165892 said:

so if he would have shot her while she was still in her car that would have been her fault?

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Just know if I was a black female getting pulled over after having to eat the shit sandwich I'm given due to color of my skin may be a bit pissed off as well.

If all you folks were born black you would all have a different tune. Yes her demeanor hurt her get that. Your all not rocket scientists stating that. Just pull yourself out of your shoes. Blacks have reason to be pissed off. I give and do my part daily to reach out and be nice to my fellow human. What are you all doing to make this a better world.

Still having a bad day. Would pull "rocket scientist" descriptor but leaving for affect.
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    callen said:

Just know if I was a black female getting pulled over after having to eat the shit sandwich I'm given due to color of my skin may be a bit pissed off as well.

If all you folks were born black you would all have a different tune. Yes her demeanor hurt her get that. Your all not rocket scientists stating that. Just pull yourself out of your shoes. Blacks have reason to be pissed off. I give and do my part daily to reach out and be nice to my fellow human. What are you all doing to make this a better world.

Still having a bad day. Would pull "rocket scientist" descriptor but leaving for affect.

I do the same, and based on what I've come to know of many people here, they do as well. And none of us need to detail or justify exactly what we do, in our own little tiny (or not) ways.

And...I'd venture to say most of us have had some prejudice displayed toward us at some point, no? Being a woman, being (raised) Jewish, being half-Iranian, being a pot-smoker, being a...well, you get the point.

I'm not walking around with a chip on my shoulder though. I can't KNOW what it's like to walk in someone else's shoes but I can certainly imagine, and empathize with whatever fuckedupness might've been encountered.

Still doesn't give carte blance to act like a jerk.

Shit, you're out in public having a smoke and a stranger asks you to put it out? Most people would apologize and do so. A police officer asking the same? Nah, fuck him.

• Options
    Hedonist yeah you may have been viewed down being female and you know I can't even comprehend it. I try everyday to think about how I communicate with my female coworkers cause I am a typical male and know I've been dick in past. I talk over people. Yeah hard to tell reading my posts I'm sure. Ha.

Do think being black goes to another level. More than any of us have experienced. I don't give excuses just try to understand. People should be held responsible and not given a pass. This lady handled the cop wrong. But I understand why. That's all.
  • Options
    And also understand why black activists picked up on this and also understand why some whites don't like that. I' know these black activists. Some do benefit from coverage but so glad blacks have a voice. We get the long end of the stick. It's not guilt. It's trying to make things better.
  • Options
    callen said:

Comes across as a little pompous.

And, your venom is a little misdirected. It's not the fault of the police that poverty exists in many minority groups resulting in a growing disconnect for, in this case, some blacks with the mainstream. Your country's dedication to and pursuit of ruthless capitalistic ideals and profit margins have created the situation police deal with at the point of the problem.

Blame your crusty old, white haired policy makers and their staunch supporters for the inequities that have led to the swell of civil unrest on the part of hopeless people that have grown angry realizing they have no chance.

The cop didn't handle the situation very well, but it was a challenging one given the amount of disrespect pouring out at him. None of what I saw should have him suspended. A little mentoring might be a better solution. I'd like to know if those who are arguing against the 'police apologists' ever screw up at their 'cushy' jobs. I say cushy because... let's get serious... there aren't many jobs with the vocational hazards and challenges a police job features.

Having said that, it seems like there are a few perfectly suited for the work. They seem to know exactly how to deal with all these situations that present themselves on this forum. With such an advanced skill set, I wish they would put their money where their mouths are, get active in the service, and offer the profession the leadership and wisdom they possess.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661

rr165892 said:

so if he would have shot her while she was still in her car that would have been her fault?

That may be the most ridiculous thing you've ever posted here.
  • Options

rr165892 said:

That may be the most ridiculous thing you've ever posted here.
    I guess we're even then.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,575
    edited July 2015
    The more I learn about this whole thing, the more I think this actually could have been outright murder by someone or other, for one reason or another. Just because someone is hanging by her neck, it doesn't automatically mean that she committed suicide. Everyone who knew her believes that she wasn't suicidal. Yes, of course it's still possible that she did. But there are enough questions about just that to warrant investigation.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

The more I learn about this whole thing, the more I think this actually could have been outright murder by someone or other, for one reason or another. Just because someone is hanging by her neck, it doesn't automatically mean that she committed suicide. Everyone who knew her believes that she wasn't suicidal. Yes, of course it's still possible that she did. But there are enough questions about just that to warrant investigation.

As well, Obama is trying to get everyone's guns.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,858
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    And this. No front plate is a summary execution offense. Fucking pussies with no ability to assess a situation and act accordingly. Shoot first TO KILL assess later.

http://www.vox.com/2015/7/23/9020963/samuel-dubose-police-shooting-video
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    northern spiritnorthern spirit I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream Posts: 186
    If the officer did what he is paid and trained to do we would not be having this discussion.Public tax dollars are paid to officers to have them serve and protect the public.They are trained to de-escalate agitated situations.This officer let his emotions taker over.Sandra Bland originally complied with his orders and followed his instructions until he started to bait her with unnecessary, irrelevant questions.He seemed to be instigating instead of handing her the ticket and ending it right there.He got what he wanted.In this instance .Even his employer stated that he did not follow protocol.Telling Sandra that he was going to light her up reeks of anger issues, incompetence and a complete lack of professionalism.And because of this, a tragic chain of events followed and a young woman who cared about our world and made positive contributions is now gone.Regardless of the differences of opinions, Sandra Bland is gone from this world and her friends and family are left to suffer and grieve.Heartbreaking to me.
    1993 08-18 Toronto ON CNE w/ Neil Young, Soundgarden
    1998 08-22 Barrie ON Molson Park
    2003 05-02 Buffalo NY HSBC, 06-28 Toronto ON Molson Amp.
    2004 10-02 Toledo OH Vote For Change w/ Neil Young
    2005 09-19 Toronto ON ACC, 09-13 Hamilton ON Copps, 09-11 Kitchener ON Memorial Gardens
    2006 05-10 Toronto ON ACC, 05-09 Toronto ON ACC
    2007 EV 09-11 Body of War TIFF Screening Isabel Bader Theatre - Grateful to have met Ed!!
    2008 EV 08-12 Toronto ON Massey Hall
    2009 08-21 Toronto ON Molson Amp.
    2010 05-10 Buffalo NY HSBC
    2011 09-15 Hamilton ON Copps, 09-11 Toronto ON ACC, 09-12 Toronto ON ACC,
    2011 EV 06-26 Detroit MI Fox Theatre
    2013 10-12 Buffalo NY First Niagara, 07-16 London ON Bud Gardens
    2016 05-10, 05-12 Toronto ON ACC
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544
    callen said:

The cops don't necessarily have an easy job. That one cop who was fired recently for pulling a gun on a girl at a pool party had just been to two suicide scenes earlier that day and should not have taken that last call. I get that a black individual may have the attitude "here we go again" when getting pulled over, but that cop may also say "here we go again" when he gets too much attidude at a simple vehicle stop when he or she has just had to deal with a far more difficult/sad issue than a traffic stop.

I'm not saying these facts apply to this case but if we are going to give people excuses to give cops attitude, then a cop may need the benefit of the doubt sometimes too as they see and have to deal with some very bad stuff. No one is perfect.
  • Options
    northern spiritnorthern spirit I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream Posts: 186
    PJ_Soul said:

Absolutely.So many assumptions being made without knowing all of the facts and what transpired.
    2005 09-19 Toronto ON ACC, 09-13 Hamilton ON Copps, 09-11 Kitchener ON Memorial Gardens
    2007 EV 09-11 Body of War TIFF Screening Isabel Bader Theatre - Grateful to have met Ed!!
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

And this. No front plate is a summary execution offense. Fucking pussies with no ability to assess a situation and act accordingly. Shoot first TO KILL assess later.

http://www.vox.com/2015/7/23/9020963/samuel-dubose-police-shooting-video

He pulled the car over. He asked to see a license. He was handed a bottle of booze. He asked the guy to step out of the car. A physical fight started. A gunshot resulted.

I don't know enough of the facts here to definitively state one way or another if this was poor police work or good police work given the scenario, but neither do you given you've already made your assessment of this cop being a pussy and a murderer.

From what the link offered, exactly how should this cop have dealt with the situation? Ignore the missing plate? Take a swig from the bottle and say, "Rock on!" Beg forgiveness and plead with the guy to not fight with him?
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

PJ_Soul said:

Absolutely.So many assumptions being made without knowing all of the facts and what transpired.
    True, but the likelihood that someone went into her cell and did that to her is very small. It seemed like there were a lot of people around at least in the aftermath. Not to mention video surveillance. If someone did that to her intentionally, the optimist in me thinks somebody would come forward and not let that stand.
  • Options

If the officer did what he is paid and trained to do we would not be having this discussion.Public tax dollars are paid to officers to have them serve and protect the public.They are trained to de-escalate agitated situations.This officer let his emotions taker over.Sandra Bland originally complied with his orders and followed his instructions until he started to bait her with unnecessary, irrelevant questions.He seemed to be instigating instead of handing her the ticket and ending it right there.He got what he wanted.In this instance .Even his employer stated that he did not follow protocol.Telling Sandra that he was going to light her up reeks of anger issues, incompetence and a complete lack of professionalism.And because of this, a tragic chain of events followed and a young woman who cared about our world and made positive contributions is now gone.Regardless of the differences of opinions, Sandra Bland is gone from this world and her friends and family are left to suffer and grieve.Heartbreaking to me.

What's also lost in all this is the fact that the officer asked her if she was okay... later stating she seemed agitated (essentially asking if she was okay again).

He never pulled her over and proceeded to badger her into a foul disposition- she had that from the outset. He became agitated when she blew a smoke cloud into his face after he asked her to put her cigarette out.

It's really disturbing how people demonize cops at every turn, while thinking the most of the people they are forced to deal with. It's f**king mind numbing.
  • Options

What's also lost in all this is the fact that the officer asked her if she was okay... later stating she seemed agitated (essentially asking if she was okay again).

He never pulled her over and proceeded to badger her into a foul disposition- she had that from the outset. He became agitated when she blew a smoke cloud into his face after he asked her to put her cigarette out.

It's really disturbing how people demonize cops at every turn, while thinking the most of the people they are forced to deal with. It's f**king mind numbing.
    Blew a cloud of smoke in his face? According to what source?

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

PJ_Soul said:

That's the problem with most of the new reports on any subject. There is usually enough missing information that assumptions get drawn. Based on current, reported evidence, I'm assuming she did it to herself. She admitted being suicidal in the not so distant past on her intake forms when she was booked. I think that carries more weight than having her family say that they believe she wasn't suicidal. Sometimes those closest don't see what is right in front of them. So I'll go with that assumption until more facts are revealed, and in the meantime hope that a thorough investigation is done by the FBI and the Texas Rangers.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options

It's really disturbing how people excuse cops of malfeasance at every turn, while expecting the average citizen to behave with a greater measure of control than the the armed servants of justice. It truly is mind numbing.
  • Options

callen said:

And, your venom is a little misdirected. It's not the fault of the police that poverty exists in many minority groups resulting in a growing disconnect for, in this case, some blacks with the mainstream. Your country's dedication to and pursuit of ruthless capitalistic ideals and profit margins have created the situation police deal with at the point of the problem.

Blame your crusty old, white haired policy makers and their staunch supporters for the inequities that have led to the swell of civil unrest on the part of hopeless people that have grown angry realizing they have no chance.

The cop didn't handle the situation very well, but it was a challenging one given the amount of disrespect pouring out at him. None of what I saw should have him suspended. A little mentoring might be a better solution. I'd like to know if those who are arguing against the 'police apologists' ever screw up at their 'cushy' jobs. I say cushy because... let's get serious... there aren't many jobs with the vocational hazards and challenges a police job features.

Having said that, it seems like there are a few perfectly suited for the work. They seem to know exactly how to deal with all these situations that present themselves on this forum. With such an advanced skill set, I wish they would put their money where their mouths are, get active in the service, and offer the profession the leadership and wisdom they possess.
    Of course we do, the difference is that we face consequences when we do screw up.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

callen said:

Of course we do, the difference is that we face consequences when we do screw up.
    And usually no one dies.

• Options
  • Options
    rgambs said:

rr165892 said:

Why regardless of HIS actions? HE is the one being paid by tax money to protect citizens. SHE is exercising her rights (without brains or class, but class is not a requisite to rights), so why do you refuse to acknowledge his share of the blame?
    His actions were a reaction to her stubbornness.If compliance had been quick coming he wouldn't have gone into douche mode in the first place.
  • Options

I agree with you, he became agitated when she refused to comply with his unnecessary demands.He then lost control of his emotions and let what should have been a minor situation spiral completely out of control.He is paid to do a dangerous, hard job that none of us can relate to without having actually served as an officer.He needs to know when to walk away from an encounter that will obviously go bad quick if he is that easily offended by disrespectful, verbal behavior.If cops engaged in pointless arguments with the public at every turn they would be overwhelmed with processing minor offences and ticket violations. Like many people on this board, I have friends who serve as police officers and they do a great job of dealing with the massive stress that they deal with and experience each and every shift.I also know that like in any walk of life there are good ones and bad ones.They need to be held to account for their actions in order to earn public respect and trust.

Most importantly,your statement that "demonizing cops at every turn" is a sweeping generalization.It is critically important to understand that stating an opinion based on facts and demonizing are two completely different things.Unfortunate if that is ""f**king mind numbing" to you.

• Options

rr165892 said:

What?
    If she pulled a Mike Brown yes,if she just was being rude of course not.He didn't strong arm her in any way,so your above statement is moot.