Options

Another Bullsh$@ Manufactured story to provoke the race card.

Comments

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661

Very disheartening to see the levels of ignorance and arrogance on this board. Regardless of one's point of view/opinion, kindness and respect can go a long way towards nurturing constructive, informative debate. A young woman, a human being, who had a future and a life ahead of her is now dead.No one knows for sure yet how or why. Some empathy and dignity is not too much to ask I hope.Her name was Sandra Bland.

I do not have a problem with an investigation. But you are correct, some respect can go a long way.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697

Very disheartening to see the levels of ignorance and arrogance on this board. Regardless of one's point of view/opinion, kindness and respect can go a long way towards nurturing constructive, informative debate. A young woman, a human being, who had a future and a life ahead of her is now dead.No one knows for sure yet how or why. Some empathy and dignity is not too much to ask I hope.Her name was Sandra Bland.

Sure we do.Ms Bland wrapped a bag around her neck and hung herself or we have invisible Police in Texas.
  • Options

I swear...some of you really believe that if you say "Fuck you" to a cop he is justified in arresting you? Or punching you in the face?

you have that right you know

Not after he tells you to shut up.
    Incorrect. I don't disrespect the police but you can legally be very disrespectful. It's kind of a first amendment right.

You can say whatever you want to a cop. Sure. But you will also have to face the consequences for saying what you want.

Can you tell a judge to fuck off in his courtroom? Yea, but it will surely be followed with a contempt charge. It's not much different with cops.
    So if I get pulled over for speeding and tell the cop "Fuck you" you are saying that he can arrest me?
    Gern,I don't think I have ever seen you take the side of the police in any discussion we have had.Did you have a bad experience?

Yes the cop can arrest you.Speeding is a crime.Changing lanes without signaling is a crime.Both weak ass infractions that 99/100 will never get you arrested short of being drunk,impaired,expired tag or license or a warrant
    .You can be arrested for ANY breaking of law if the officer feels it's warranted.right or wrong that's the system.Just as you fighting it is your right.
  • Options

I swear...some of you really believe that if you say "Fuck you" to a cop he is justified in arresting you? Or punching you in the face?

Incorrect. I don't disrespect the police but you can legally be very disrespectful. It's kind of a first amendment right.

You can say whatever you want to a cop. Sure. But you will also have to face the consequences for saying what you want.

Can you tell a judge to fuck off in his courtroom? Yea, but it will surely be followed with a contempt charge. It's not much different with cops.
    +1
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    rr165892 said:

+1
    Regardless of what they might suppose, police are not judges.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    hedonist said:

excuse me...being disrespectful is NOT against the law

It's pretty fucking stupid though, no? ...and can take things in unneeded directions.

It's fucking common sense Hedo.Thats the one trait all these cases have in common.The alleged perp coulda used a good dose of common sense.
  • Options
    dignin said:

rr165892 said:

dignin said:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/sandra-bland-dashcam-arrest-video-released-by-texas-police-1.3162790

Why was she in jail for 3 days before her death?

Also, if anyone dies in police custody there should be a detailed investigation....that's a no brainer.

Fine Dig,but let's call it an investigation and not jump directly to this has to be a murder.A simple we will look into all evidence and pursue as needed would be fine.
    That's all fair rr. But I don't think the families requests are unreasonable. I would be asking the same questions as I'm sure you would be if one of your loved ones died while in custody.

Bland's family has called for an independent autopsy and involvement by the U.S. Department of Justice in the probe of her death.

"I am angry because of the way she died," Bland's mother, Geneva Reed-Veal, said at the memorial. "All I want to know is why."

Do we really need the justice Dept.this early? Isn't that a bit dramatic for a suicide?how about after the investigation if there is probable cause then we turn it over to the Feds?
  • Options
    30B ,as always you are oasis of common sense here.
  • Options

rr165892 said:

+1
    Regardless of what they might suppose, police are not judges.
    No They are not.But they can arrest you for basically nothing if your being a belligerent asshole.Be smart enough to avoid that inconvenient lock up and impound.once your cuffed in the back of a cruiser,you have that right to remain silent or tell the officer to go fuck a goat if you want.No charge for that,you've already been stupid and gotten arrested.Use that first amendment all you want.They will just laugh at you,as your own stupidity put you in that scenario.

Note:Not you meaning you Oftenreading.:)
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    rr165892 said:

So if I get pulled over for speeding and tell the cop "Fuck you" you are saying that he can arrest me?
    Gern,I don't think I have ever seen you take the side of the police in any discussion we have had.Did you have a bad experience?

Yes the cop can arrest you.Speeding is a crime.Changing lanes without signaling is a crime.Both weak ass infractions that 99/100 will never get you arrested short of being drunk,impaired,expired tag or license or a warrant
    .You can be arrested for ANY breaking of law if the officer feels it's warranted.right or wrong that's the system.Just as you fighting it is your right.
    Did you not see the link I posted about the $20K paid by the police to someone they arrested for doing exactly what I said?

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    edited July 2015
    rr165892 said:

dignin said:

rr165892 said:

dignin said:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/sandra-bland-dashcam-arrest-video-released-by-texas-police-1.3162790

Why was she in jail for 3 days before her death?

Also, if anyone dies in police custody there should be a detailed investigation....that's a no brainer.

Fine Dig,but let's call it an investigation and not jump directly to this has to be a murder.A simple we will look into all evidence and pursue as needed would be fine.
    That's all fair rr. But I don't think the families requests are unreasonable. I would be asking the same questions as I'm sure you would be if one of your loved ones died while in custody.

Bland's family has called for an independent autopsy and involvement by the U.S. Department of Justice in the probe of her death.

"I am angry because of the way she died," Bland's mother, Geneva Reed-Veal, said at the memorial. "All I want to know is why."

Do we really need the justice Dept.this early? Isn't that a bit dramatic for a suicide?how about after the investigation if there is probable cause then we turn it over to the Feds?
    Rightly or wrongly, they apparently don't trust the local police to conduct a fair investigation.....and given recent incidences in the US I can't say I blame them. But I'm not that familiar with how local Texas police investigate themselves....or who investigates them.

We should all be able to agree that police shouldn't be policing themselves.

• Options
    Why can't we all agree that you shouldn't be a douche bag to a cop?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Wow, just wow. Who cares about the 1st amendment right?
    It's not a first amendment issue. If a cop tells you to do something, it is your responsibility to obey. They do have that authority. Obviously, if a cop says "jump off a bridge," you don't. But regardless of how you feel towards police, you do have to listen to them.

Showing your ass to cops is the common denominator in almost every complaint someone makes against the police.
    You must comply with a LAWFUL order. "Shut up" is not a lawful order.
    How about be quiet please? Either way, "would you put out your cigarette please" is a lawful order.
    Is it? I really doubt it but I don't know for sure.

Everybody listen to me:
    My data is up until midnight so please table this discussion until tomorrow so I don't get too far behind! :tongue:
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

It's not a first amendment issue. If a cop tells you to do something, it is your responsibility to obey. They do have that authority. Obviously, if a cop says "jump off a bridge," you don't. But regardless of how you feel towards police, you do have to listen to them.

Showing your ass to cops is the common denominator in almost every complaint someone makes against the police.
    How about be quiet please? Either way, "would you put out your cigarette please" is a lawful order.

Everybody listen to me:
    My data is up until midnight so please table this discussion until tomorrow so I don't get too far behind! :tongue:
    It may or may not be, but step out of the vehicle is.
    I'm not sure, but I don't think a cop needs a reason to ask you to get out of the car.

I'm glad I still have unlimited data.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986

I do agree with that. But I also believe that if you are a douchebag you shouldn't be arrested for it...and the courts agree with me.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,577
    Suicides in police custody are a big deal. Once they arrest the person and put them in a cage, they have taken responsibility for that person's safety, and when you're talking about people who have just been arrested, they are responsible for keeping that person from hurting themselves as well as others. The onus is on the police to make sure that the person they locked up is protected from harm. That includes self-harm. Therefore, I think it's reasonable to investigate these cases in the context of trying to figure out how the police could have prevented it from happening.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    northern spiritnorthern spirit I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream Posts: 186
    rr165892 said:

Sure we do.Ms Bland wrapped a bag around her neck and hung herself or we have invisible Police in Texas.
    I will refer back to my original statement.Thank You for illustrating my concern.

1993 08-18 Toronto ON CNE w/ Neil Young, Soundgarden
    1998 08-22 Barrie ON Molson Park
    2003 05-02 Buffalo NY HSBC, 06-28 Toronto ON Molson Amp.
    2004 10-02 Toledo OH Vote For Change w/ Neil Young
    2005 09-19 Toronto ON ACC, 09-13 Hamilton ON Copps, 09-11 Kitchener ON Memorial Gardens
    2006 05-10 Toronto ON ACC, 05-09 Toronto ON ACC
    2007 EV 09-11 Body of War TIFF Screening Isabel Bader Theatre - Grateful to have met Ed!!
    2008 EV 08-12 Toronto ON Massey Hall
    2009 08-21 Toronto ON Molson Amp.
    2010 05-10 Buffalo NY HSBC
    2011 09-15 Hamilton ON Copps, 09-11 Toronto ON ACC, 09-12 Toronto ON ACC,
    2011 EV 06-26 Detroit MI Fox Theatre
    2013 10-12 Buffalo NY First Niagara, 07-16 London ON Bud Gardens
    2016 05-10, 05-12 Toronto ON ACC
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

30B ,as always you are oasis of common sense here.

Thanks, man.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

rr165892 said:

Did you not see the link I posted about the $20K paid by the police to someone they arrested for doing exactly what I said?

There are countless other cases that resulted in no law suit and nothing more than inconvenience for the 'asshole'.

Being a dickhead and failing to cooperate can also be seen as obstruction. There's grey area there that you are not seeing.
  • Options

rr165892 said:

I will refer back to my original statement.Thank You for illustrating my concern.

The pleasure is all mine.Glad to be of assistance.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Everybody listen to me:
    Gambsy,while your searching for an new unlimited data plan,maybe it's also time to get rid of that Nokia flip phone you must be using
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Suicides in police custody are a big deal. Once they arrest the person and put them in a cage, they have taken responsibility for that person's safety, and when you're talking about people who have just been arrested, they are responsible for keeping that person from hurting themselves as well as others. The onus is on the police to make sure that the person they locked up is protected from harm. That includes self-harm. Therefore, I think it's reasonable to investigate these cases in the context of trying to figure out how the police could have prevented it from happening.

Sure, and that's what the cameras are for. But you can't have eyes on the inmates all the time. I don't know if there are prisons or jails that have cameras that show inside the cells.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

Sure, and that's what the cameras are for. But you can't have eyes on the inmates all the time. I don't know if there are prisons or jails that have cameras that show inside the cells.
    And if these cells do, watch yourself getting an argument from the same people demanding a more watchful eye for violating an inmate's right to privacy.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

PJ_Soul said:

You could easily have eyes on inmates at all times. I'm not talking about prisons. I'm talking about holding cells in jails. There is no expectation of privacy in those.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

You could easily have eyes on inmates at all times. I'm not talking about prisons. I'm talking about holding cells in jails. There is no expectation of privacy in those.
    How? With cameras? Do you really support paying someone $30,000+ a year just to stare at a cell?

And thirty, do people give up the right to privacy when they become criminals?
    Post edited by Last-12-Exit on
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603

Why can't we all agree that cops shouldn't be doucebags and pull people over illegally?
  • Options
    Gern,it can go both ways.Not all perps are bad,not all cops are good.But usually the authority is enough to ruin your day if you push hard enough.
  • Options

Why can't we all agree that cops shouldn't be doucebags and pull people over illegally?
    You can pull someone over for almost anything. Is there such a thing as an illegal traffic stop?
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

How? With cameras?

Sure, with cameras, or actual human people, depending on the layout/type of cell. This doesn't seem unreasonable to me if the purpose to to ensure the health and safety of every single person they lock into a cage.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

How? With cameras?

Sure, with cameras, or actual human people, depending on the layout/type of cell. This doesn't seem unreasonable to me if the purpose to to ensure the health and safety of every single person they lock into a cage.
    I'm ok with that. Are you prepared to pay for those cameras? It's not just buying a camera. Where's all they data going?