Options

Another Bullsh$@ Manufactured story to provoke the race card.

Comments

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Suicides in police custody are a big deal. Once they arrest the person and put them in a cage, they have taken responsibility for that person's safety, and when you're talking about people who have just been arrested, they are responsible for keeping that person from hurting themselves as well as others. The onus is on the police to make sure that the person they locked up is protected from harm. That includes self-harm. Therefore, I think it's reasonable to investigate these cases in the context of trying to figure out how the police could have prevented it from happening.

Sure, and that's what the cameras are for. But you can't have eyes on the inmates all the time. I don't know if there are prisons or jails that have cameras that show inside the cells.
    You could easily have eyes on inmates at all times. I'm not talking about prisons. I'm talking about holding cells in jails. There is no expectation of privacy in those.
    How? With cameras?

And thirty, do people give up the right to privacy when they become criminals?
    Sure, with cameras, or actual human people, depending on the layout/type of cell. This doesn't seem unreasonable to me if the purpose to to ensure the health and safety of every single person they lock into a cage.
    It might be just me, but I thought the idea of jailing people was to ensure the public's safety.

While I'm not suggesting we abandon people in jail cells to their own resources, I'm not in favour of babysitting them either.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    rr165892 said:

rr165892 said:

I swear...some of you really believe that if you say "Fuck you" to a cop he is justified in arresting you? Or punching you in the face?

you have that right you know

Not after he tells you to shut up.
    Incorrect. I don't disrespect the police but you can legally be very disrespectful. It's kind of a first amendment right.

You can say whatever you want to a cop. Sure. But you will also have to face the consequences for saying what you want.

Can you tell a judge to fuck off in his courtroom? Yea, but it will surely be followed with a contempt charge. It's not much different with cops.
    +1
    Regardless of what they might suppose, police are not judges.
    No They are not.But they can arrest you for basically nothing if your being a belligerent asshole.Be smart enough to avoid that inconvenient lock up and impound.once your cuffed in the back of a cruiser,you have that right to remain silent or tell the officer to go fuck a goat if you want.No charge for that,you've already been stupid and gotten arrested.Use that first amendment all you want.They will just laugh at you,as your own stupidity put you in that scenario.

Note:Not you meaning you Oftenreading.:)
    RR This event happened real close to my residence. North of Houston and I can tell you black folk don't have it good there. Police do profile and after all the unarmed blacks that have been killed understand why a black person could be just a little pissed off at the establishment. Add all the racist crap that they deal with on a daily basis can very much understand how someone could loose it. Sorry but have to say you or I don't have a fucking clue how fked up it is to not be white. Sure I say yes sir and no sir when pulled over but maybe if we walked in her shoes we would of done the same. She probably shouldn't have been arrested. Many police officers have gone on record to say this. This cop is facing disciplinary action because his boss says he fked up. Yes appears she hung herself but would still be alive if cop handled this better. So put yourself in victims shoes and have some empathy here dude. You won the fucking lottery. Give the oppressed some latitude. I type this with no malice I hope you realize. Peace.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Poor white people having to hear about blacks making accusations against police. How dare they. Just suck it up and get shot and beat and abused and killed. Assholes.

Yes rough day at work.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,575

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Suicides in police custody are a big deal. Once they arrest the person and put them in a cage, they have taken responsibility for that person's safety, and when you're talking about people who have just been arrested, they are responsible for keeping that person from hurting themselves as well as others. The onus is on the police to make sure that the person they locked up is protected from harm. That includes self-harm. Therefore, I think it's reasonable to investigate these cases in the context of trying to figure out how the police could have prevented it from happening.

Sure, and that's what the cameras are for. But you can't have eyes on the inmates all the time. I don't know if there are prisons or jails that have cameras that show inside the cells.
    You could easily have eyes on inmates at all times. I'm not talking about prisons. I'm talking about holding cells in jails. There is no expectation of privacy in those.
    How? With cameras?

And thirty, do people give up the right to privacy when they become criminals?
    Sure, with cameras, or actual human people, depending on the layout/type of cell. This doesn't seem unreasonable to me if the purpose to to ensure the health and safety of every single person they lock into a cage.
    It might be just me, but I thought the idea of jailing people was to ensure the public's safety.

While I'm not suggesting we abandon people in jail cells to their own resources, I'm not in favour of babysitting them either.
    Yes, it's for the public's safety is some cases (not in most though. A lot of people who are thrown in a holding cell in a police station are not dangerous to the public, and are probably much more often only a danger to themselves, and many are mentally ill too). But when doing so, the criminal justice system assumes complete responsibility for ensuring the health and safety of those people. It is actually their number one responsibility once the person is in their custody.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I don't understand this at all. I didn't see any police brutality. This woman resisted arrest. The cop didn't slap her around. He didn't use the taser. He didn't leave one bruise on her. The woman cop that came to assist is the one that had her knee on her back.

Regardless of whether you think he arrested her legally or not, once the cop decides to arrest you, you can't resist. If the cop arrested this woman wrongly, then a judge would throw the case out and the woman could sue.
  • Options
    The more I think about it, the less I like the idea of buying and maintaining cameras so every cell can be watched. Jails aren't mental hospitals. If someone thinks a prisoner is suicidal, then they will be put on a suicide watch. I have no idea what that entails, but I'm sure it includes more attention on the prisoner. It would be extremely expensive to add personnel or electronics to watch prisoners 24/7.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,575
    edited July 2015

The more I think about it, the less I like the idea of buying and maintaining cameras so every cell can be watched. Jails aren't mental hospitals. If someone thinks a prisoner is suicidal, then they will be put on a suicide watch. I have no idea what that entails, but I'm sure it includes more attention on the prisoner. It would be extremely expensive to add personnel or electronics to watch prisoners 24/7.

I know that there are already a lot of police stations that have cameras in every cell (that can't be seen otherwise) because of this very reason. BC had a couple of deaths like this, and they started putting in the cameras... and I would say that it wasn't for the safety of the prisoner. It was also to protect the police from being accused of something they didn't do (i.e. brutality leading to injury or death, sexual assault, etc). So there is another good reason for it.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697

I don't understand this at all. I didn't see any police brutality. This woman resisted arrest. The cop didn't slap her around. He didn't use the taser. He didn't leave one bruise on her. The woman cop that came to assist is the one that had her knee on her back.

Regardless of whether you think he arrested her legally or not, once the cop decides to arrest you, you can't resist. If the cop arrested this woman wrongly, then a judge would throw the case out and the woman could sue.

Exactly Scott.
  • Options
    callen said:

rr165892 said:

rr165892 said:

I swear...some of you really believe that if you say "Fuck you" to a cop he is justified in arresting you? Or punching you in the face?

Incorrect. I don't disrespect the police but you can legally be very disrespectful. It's kind of a first amendment right.

You can say whatever you want to a cop. Sure. But you will also have to face the consequences for saying what you want.

Can you tell a judge to fuck off in his courtroom? Yea, but it will surely be followed with a contempt charge. It's not much different with cops.
    +1
    Regardless of what they might suppose, police are not judges.
    No They are not.But they can arrest you for basically nothing if your being a belligerent asshole.Be smart enough to avoid that inconvenient lock up and impound.once your cuffed in the back of a cruiser,you have that right to remain silent or tell the officer to go fuck a goat if you want.No charge for that,you've already been stupid and gotten arrested.Use that first amendment all you want.They will just laugh at you,as your own stupidity put you in that scenario.

Note:Not you meaning you Oftenreading.:)
    RR This event happened real close to my residence. North of Houston and I can tell you black folk don't have it good there. Police do profile and after all the unarmed blacks that have been killed understand why a black person could be just a little pissed off at the establishment. Add all the racist crap that they deal with on a daily basis can very much understand how someone could loose it. Sorry but have to say you or I don't have a fucking clue how fked up it is to not be white. Sure I say yes sir and no sir when pulled over but maybe if we walked in her shoes we would of done the same. She probably shouldn't have been arrested. Many police officers have gone on record to say this. This cop is facing disciplinary action because his boss says he fked up. Yes appears she hung herself but would still be alive if cop handled this better. So put yourself in victims shoes and have some empathy here dude. You won the fucking lottery. Give the oppressed some latitude. I type this with no malice I hope you realize. Peace.
    Cal,you are 100% correct and of course I know what's up.I don't take any of this personally.All good.And it's not that I don't have empathy for the Bland family.I do.

Like H-town and Its suburbs we here in Palm Beach County and The Treasure Coast have a lot of the same issues with our predominantly black and white neighborhoods.And of course it's still the South.So you do get a lot of segregated living areas.

What got me when I first started the thread was how quick blame and outrage from the family and Attorney started in on the cops.Remember they were saying "no way she would commit suicide".

Well ,we had just come off a weekend here where there was like 6 or 8 murders,drive bys and cold blooded shootings.All Black on Black.One victim was a baby,one was a 3 year old for Peres sake.I want the same outrage over this kind of violence from the families and Black leaders that we get with these higher profile stories.Its getting so bad in Northern West Palm and Rivera Beach that the white mayor is calling a special meeting about the violence.Do we only make a big deal when a non black cop is involved?Seems reverse biased to me.

Now I don't go to those areas ,and your right I am fortunate to live in an upscale beach town part of the county with little violent crime.(Although we had a homeless lady shot and killed in a nature preserve last week.)I am friends with many detectives and task force Swat guys ,and profiling does go on,no denying it.If 3 black kids are cruising around through certain neighborhoods they will get pulled over and car searched.But to be fair,if I'm driving in the hood I would probably get pulled over for suspicion of drug buying or looking for a hooker.Its the facts.

All deaths are sad regardless of color.But fairness and common sense must prevail without us walking on eggshells being overly PC.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

At what cost? In the meantime your reputation takes a hit with your family, friends, and job. Who watches your kids while You are wrongfully detained? What if You lose your job? You will probably have to miss work, you will still be responsible for court fees and babysitter costs, and you are not even close to having a guarantee the case will be thrown out, as there is a clear bias towards the word of the police and the onus is on you to prove you were wrongfully detained.

Then, IF you are lucky enough to escape some bullshit charge, you still have to pony up the dough for a lawyer and miss more work, pay more babysitters, and take further hits to your reputation, not to mention you will now fear reprisals from a police force which has been abundantly proven to stoop to that level time and time again.
    All this because some dickhead on a power trip decided to arrest you for no reason other than feeling disrespected? Weak-ass bullshit.
    This is your big answer? Suck it up and sue later? That is not freedom, that is pathetic.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

At what cost? In the meantime your reputation takes a hit with your family, friends, and job. Who watches your kids while You are wrongfully detained? What if You lose your job? You will probably have to miss work, you will still be responsible for court fees and babysitter costs, and you are not even close to having a guarantee the case will be thrown out, as there is a clear bias towards the word of the police and the onus is on you to prove you were wrongfully detained.

Then, IF you are lucky enough to escape some bullshit charge, you still have to pony up the dough for a lawyer and miss more work, pay more babysitters, and take further hits to your reputation, not to mention you will now fear reprisals from a police force which has been abundantly proven to stoop to that level time and time again.
    All this because some dickhead on a power trip decided to arrest you for no reason other than feeling disrespected? Weak-ass bullshit.
    This is your big answer? Suck it up and sue later? That is not freedom, that is pathetic.
    Exactly gambs. And just think what would have prevented this:
    "Would you put out your cigarette please?"
    "Yes sir, no problem."

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Wow, just wow. Who cares about the 1st amendment right?
    It's not a first amendment issue. If a cop tells you to do something, it is your responsibility to obey. They do have that authority. Obviously, if a cop says "jump off a bridge," you don't. But regardless of how you feel towards police, you do have to listen to them.

Showing your ass to cops is the common denominator in almost every complaint someone makes against the police.
    You must comply with a LAWFUL order. "Shut up" is not a lawful order.
    How about be quiet please? Either way, "would you put out your cigarette please" is a lawful order.
    Is it? I really doubt it but I don't know for sure.

Everybody listen to me:
    My data is up until midnight so please table this discussion until tomorrow so I don't get too far behind! :tongue:
    It may or may not be, but step out of the vehicle is.
    I'm not sure, but I don't think a cop needs a reason to ask you to get out of the car.

I'm glad I still have unlimited data.
    "reasonable cause"

If the police suspect you of murder and call you in for an interview you are allowed to ask "are you arresting me now or can I leave

Resisted arrest? What was she being arrested for?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013

rgambs said:

"Yes sir, no problem."

Come on Bro, that would be what a civilized person do.
  • Options
    ^^^^^
    Uh, oh muskydan.
    You have stirred the wrath of tree hugging, pony loving anarchist hippies.
    What have you done!?
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,448
    I think the Cop was WRONG(for instigating IMO> Put out your cigarette? Plus, why did he ask her how long have you been in Texas?). He should've just had her sign the warning and let her be on her way, and that would've been the end of it. I agreed with her: all of that for not signaling for a lane change? Really? I know i would've been pissed too. I guess the cops have nothing else better to do?

Just TRAGIC.
  • Options

rgambs said:

"Yes sir, no problem."

Yes, that would have prevented it.
    Any number of "civilized" actions could have been taken to prevent it as well. I am willing to accept her mistakes, it doesn't seem like you are willing to accept any mistakes by the officer and that's just sad. You hold a criminal to a higher standard of behavior than an officer. Nevermind that he is a servant of the government (and therefore the people) being paid and has been entrusted with corporal and lethal authority, it is HER job to be civil, not his.

• Options
    muskydan said:

rgambs said:

"Yes sir, no problem."

Putting your hands on someone because you feel disrespected is what a civilised person does then right? Good to know.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

muskydan said:

rgambs said:

"Yes sir, no problem."

Putting your hands on someone because you feel disrespected is what a civilised person does then right? Good to know.
    Are you taking the stance of a debater or a citizen on this one rgambs?
    You put some valid points out there but please turn around and place your hands behind your back.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

rgambs said:

muskydan said:

rgambs said:

"Yes sir, no problem."

Are you taking the stance of a debater or a citizen on this one rgambs?
    You put some valid points out there but please turn around and place your hands behind your back.
    Hahaha I am both! I am a concerned citizen with a love of spirited debate. Police exist to protect and serve us, it's a really tough job and most do it with respect and dignity. The problem is that very few (though more and more now) people are willing to call out the officers who violate civil rights, act without dignity, and worse. Police, fire, and judiciary members band together tightly to protect despicable people who commit horrible offenses. The police abuse thread has a typical story posted that confirms this is a serious problem.

Post edited by rgambs on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    The more I look at this the more it looks like more macho police bullshit. Blacks, Hispanics, Hard Core Environmentalists and Hard Core Punk Rockers , etc. all know what I'm saying. Who pulls someone over for not having a blinker on and then tells them to put out their cigarette? I call bullshit.

"There is not one single police officer in America that I am not afraid of and not one that I would trust to tell the truth or obey the laws they are sworn to uphold. I do not believe they protect me in any way."
    -Henry Rollins
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Don't know who Henry Rollins is.
    Never heard of the guy in my lifetime.
    Seems he wants to be known by police though with quotes he makes.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    "Don't know who Henry Rollins is." LOL!!

Edit: Sorry man. No offense- I believe you but I can't stop laughing, LOL!
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited July 2015
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    cutz said:

I think the Cop was WRONG(for instigating IMO> Put out your cigarette? Plus, why did he ask her how long have you been in Texas?). He should've just had her sign the warning and let her be on her way, and that would've been the end of it. I agreed with her: all of that for not signaling for a lane change? Really? I know i would've been pissed too. I guess the cops have nothing else better to do?

Just TRAGIC.

It is tragic for sure. Whether her life was taken by another or by her own hand, a person who was obviously loved is dead.

With this said, I'm pretty sure that using your signal to...wait for it...SIGNAL that you're changing lanes is the law. Not doing so has caused some pretty fucked up accidents. Don't wanna do it? Fine - fuck knows I've flouted my share of rules and regs - but then face the consequences. And be respectful when pulled over for it. How that is so difficult is beyond me.

And, asking someone to put out their cigarette at a stop isn't an over-the-top request...is it? Just to give full attention to what's going on, sign the shit and be on your way?
  • Options
    :plus_one:

You might like some of his books. Good place to start would be any one of the three Fanatic! volumes or Before the Chop and Before the Chop II. Good stuff!

And his talking shows on DVD (or YouTube) are great.

(Sorry for the side-track folks.)

• Options
    brianlux said:

:plus_one:

You might like some of his books. Good place to start would be any one of the three Fanatic! volumes or Before the Chop and Before the Chop II. Good stuff!

And his talking shows on DVD (or YouTube) are great.

(Sorry for the side-track folks.)

Or his TV show of hidden American History including all the Back stories.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

cutz said:

Just TRAGIC.

It is tragic for sure. Whether her life was taken by another or by her own hand, a person who was obviously loved is dead.

With this said, I'm pretty sure that using your signal to...wait for it...SIGNAL that you're changing lanes is the law. Not doing so has caused some pretty fucked up accidents. Don't wanna do it? Fine - fuck knows I've flouted my share of rules and regs - but then face the consequences. And be respectful when pulled over for it. How that is so difficult is beyond me.

And, asking someone to put out their cigarette at a stop isn't an over-the-top request...is it? Just to give full attention to what's going on, sign the shit and be on your way?
    Is it not incumbent on the officer to be respectful as well? Not necessarily saying he wasn't in the early part of this encounter, but minorities are disrespected by police with alarming frequency and the police apologists on here don't seem to acknowledge or care about that lack of respect.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,311
    As far as I see it the cop lost control of the situation ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    rgambs said:

hedonist said:

cutz said:

Just TRAGIC.

Is it not incumbent on the officer to be respectful as well? Not necessarily saying he wasn't in the early part of this encounter, but minorities are disrespected by police with alarming frequency and the police apologists on here don't seem to acknowledge or care about that lack of respect.
    I expect respect as a rule in general, unless I've done something to not warrant it - that goes for police, teachers, EMTs, regular everyday folks - and extend the same toward myself. I have and will call out anyone who abuses their authority.

The officer asking her to put out her smoke was reasonable and not disrespectful. If she'd had music blasting and refused to turn it down or off, I'd see it in the same way. Why not just do it?
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    hedonist said:

rgambs said:

hedonist said:

cutz said:

Just TRAGIC.

I expect respect as a rule in general, unless I've done something to not warrant it - that goes for police, teachers, EMTs, regular everyday folks - and extend the same toward myself. I have and will call out anyone who abuses their authority.

The officer asking her to put out her smoke was reasonable and not disrespectful. If she'd had music blasting and refused to turn it down or off, I'd see it in the same way. Why not just do it?
    yeah why not? I would probably do it. But the point is she doesn't have to. The officer did NOT have the authority to tell her to put out her cigarette and when she refused he certainly didn't have the authority (or cause) to arrest her. Of course he can always say that he thought she was drunk or something to justify his actions but the video is pretty clear. His authority was challenged and he flipped his lid.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana