Options

Another Bullsh$@ Manufactured story to provoke the race card.

Comments

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661

For the record....I'm generally a "just do what the cop says" kind of person. I think she most likely hanged herself due to depression issues.

The cop had no right to escalate the situation. He should have given her a ticket and been on his way. Instead he violated her civil rights. We'll see how it turns out.

Don't you mean she had no right to escalate the situation? What exactly did the cop do that escalated this?
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986

The confrontation was because the cop had to act like she broke a law because she wasn't kissing his ass.

Wrong again.

She was pulled over for swerving into another lane without signalling. This was likely going to be the extent of it, however she began to act like an idiot and... just like my colleague... paid for her idiocy with a trip to the jail. Again, what she did there was her business's not the cop's fault.
    Being an idiot is cause for arrest? She didn't kiss his ass and he couldn't take it....clearly

Did he lead her out of camera view? Pretty questionable

She didn't kiss his ass... or she was disrespectful?

I guess it's which side of the fence you sit on. From my perspective, which I've already detailed, if you want to mess with the bull... sometimes you get the horn. And you know this: that is why you said you are a compliant one when dealing with the 'authorities'.

A trip to jail never killed her and had the potential to teach her some sensibility. Her decision to hang herself killed her.
    excuse me...being disrespectful is NOT against the law
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    edited July 2015

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

When will people just listen to what the fucking cops tell them? Put the cigarette out. That's not a hard thing to do. Stupidity.

I agree it's never a good idea to defiantly disregard a police officer and am in no way blaming the officer for what happened in her cell, but don't you think it could have been avoided by just giving her the ticket and sending her on her way? His own governing body has already stated he didn't act in a professional manner and didn't follow their procedures. It should have never came to that point.
    His own governing body is in job saving mode. I don't think this cop should be fired, but he will be. There was no abuse, no shooting, no brutality. I think the lady should have just put her cigarette out. Period. All she was doing was provoking. She deserved what she got.
    Whoa, SHE was provoking? HE was provoking her and she should have remained in control, but she was clearly baited.
    He was asking her to perform an action that was clearly outside of the law and his rights to police.
    If he had asked her to take her blouse off or touch herself should she do that as well?
    Turning off the music, putting out her cigarette, shutting the vehicle off, and things like that are very reasonable requests. The ones you've tried to compare his request to are silly. Why do that?

A cop doesn't have to breathe in someone's smoke as he performs his duties just like the clerk doesn't at the grocery store. The cop also doesn't have to worry about extreme scenarios such as an angry individual placing the cigarette out on his arm.
    A reasonable request, sure it is. An arrestable offense? Of course not. This is a classic power trip, he had just as much opportunity to be reasonable and calm as she did. This officer assaulted the woman because she disrespected him. If I disrespect you do you have the right to assault me??
    Sometimes it seems like some people are desperate to give their rights away to anyone in a uniform.
    So if a person basically tells a copy to go f**k themselves when the cop asks them to do something that is reasonable... the cop should go f**k themselves?

A colleague got upset when he was denied service at a local establishment. Cops were called. He became indignant. He ended up in jail. Nobody there was saying, "Geezuz what a bunch of dicks. Why couldn't he have gotten another beer? And jail is a little extreme dontcha think?" People were saying, "What a f**king idiot."

He made requests. She became indignant and disrespectful. The cop lost patience. She ended up in jail. What she chose to do in jail is on her unless it can be definitively proven otherwise.

Sometimes it seems like some people feel cops have no authority whatsoever. We have given them this authority, RG. And having said that... we need to respect the authority we have given them. Any questionable behaviours on the part of law enforcement in this case came after this woman acted like an idiot.

At the time being, this unfortunate incident is her doing. If a rightful investigation proves otherwise, we can say something differently. I doubt that will happen- I'm not inclined to think Texas jail guards hung this woman. If I was, I would be no different than those people who- routinely getting slammed for it- think Obama is trying to get their guns. Foolish.
    The cop should control his/her emotions and ignore the request which the law doesn't require to be complied with...just like this woman ignored the request with which she had a right to not comply.
    The cop has a right to issue a ticket without having some idiot blow smoke in his face.

Everywhere in society we protect those who do not care for second hand smoke. He never tried to seize her cigarettes... he asked her to put it out so he didn't have to consume toxins while he dealt with her.

I know you think we should be able to shit all over cops and they should patiently put up with it, but I don't.

He could have backed away to avoid the smoke. It was childish but doesn't justify a beat down

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    If this woman was so mentally unstable that she killed herself because the cop was so aggressive maybe she shouldn't have had a driver's license.
  • Options
    I swear...some of you really believe that if you say "Fuck you" to a cop he is justified in arresting you? Or punching you in the face?

you have that right you know

• Options

I swear...some of you really believe that if you say "Fuck you" to a cop he is justified in arresting you? Or punching you in the face?

Not after he tells you to shut up.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

It's pretty fucking stupid though, no? ...and can take things in unneeded directions.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Wow, just wow. Who cares about the 1st amendment right?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options

Incorrect. I don't disrespect the police but you can legally be very disrespectful. It's kind of a first amendment right.

• Options
    http://blogs.denverpost.com/crime/2011/06/13/the-f-bomb-isnt-polite-or-illegal/48/

“If it is a situation where somebody is unhappy and vocalizing they are unhappy the courts have decided that police officers have to be able to take it,” said Boulder County Sheriff Commander Rick Brough. “We have to deal with different things than other citizens do. You just have to be thick-skinned sometimes.”

• Options
    edited July 2015
    hedonist said:

It's pretty fucking stupid though, no? ...and can take things in unneeded directions.

Yes...unneeded and illegal directions

edit: and protected by the constitution

• Options
    rgambs said:

It's not a first amendment issue. If a cop tells you to do something, it is your responsibility to obey. They do have that authority. Obviously, if a cop says "jump off a bridge," you don't. But regardless of how you feel towards police, you do have to listen to them.

Showing your ass to cops is the common denominator in almost every complaint someone makes against the police.
  • Options

rgambs said:

It's not a first amendment issue. If a cop tells you to do something, it is your responsibility to obey. They do have that authority. Obviously, if a cop says "jump off a bridge," you don't. But regardless of how you feel towards police, you do have to listen to them.

Showing your ass to cops is the common denominator in almost every complaint someone makes against the police.
    You are so wrong. See my link...there are many court cases about this.

• Options

Incorrect. I don't disrespect the police but you can legally be very disrespectful. It's kind of a first amendment right.

You can say whatever you want to a cop. Sure. But you will also have to face the consequences for saying what you want.

Can you tell a judge to fuck off in his courtroom? Yea, but it will surely be followed with a contempt charge. It's not much different with cops.
  • Options

You can say whatever you want to a cop. Sure. But you will also have to face the consequences for saying what you want.

Can you tell a judge to fuck off in his courtroom? Yea, but it will surely be followed with a contempt charge. It's not much different with cops.
    So if I get pulled over for speeding and tell the cop "Fuck you" you are saying that he can arrest me?

• Options

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

When will people just listen to what the fucking cops tell them? Put the cigarette out. That's not a hard thing to do. Stupidity.

I agree it's never a good idea to defiantly disregard a police officer and am in no way blaming the officer for what happened in her cell, but don't you think it could have been avoided by just giving her the ticket and sending her on her way? His own governing body has already stated he didn't act in a professional manner and didn't follow their procedures. It should have never came to that point.
    His own governing body is in job saving mode. I don't think this cop should be fired, but he will be. There was no abuse, no shooting, no brutality. I think the lady should have just put her cigarette out. Period. All she was doing was provoking. She deserved what she got.
    Whoa, SHE was provoking? HE was provoking her and she should have remained in control, but she was clearly baited.
    He was asking her to perform an action that was clearly outside of the law and his rights to police.
    If he had asked her to take her blouse off or touch herself should she do that as well?
    Turning off the music, putting out her cigarette, shutting the vehicle off, and things like that are very reasonable requests. The ones you've tried to compare his request to are silly. Why do that?

A cop doesn't have to breathe in someone's smoke as he performs his duties just like the clerk doesn't at the grocery store. The cop also doesn't have to worry about extreme scenarios such as an angry individual placing the cigarette out on his arm.
    A reasonable request, sure it is. An arrestable offense? Of course not. This is a classic power trip, he had just as much opportunity to be reasonable and calm as she did. This officer assaulted the woman because she disrespected him. If I disrespect you do you have the right to assault me??
    Sometimes it seems like some people are desperate to give their rights away to anyone in a uniform.
    So if a person basically tells a copy to go f**k themselves when the cop asks them to do something that is reasonable... the cop should go f**k themselves?

A colleague got upset when he was denied service at a local establishment. Cops were called. He became indignant. He ended up in jail. Nobody there was saying, "Geezuz what a bunch of dicks. Why couldn't he have gotten another beer? And jail is a little extreme dontcha think?" People were saying, "What a f**king idiot."

He made requests. She became indignant and disrespectful. The cop lost patience. She ended up in jail. What she chose to do in jail is on her unless it can be definitively proven otherwise.

Sometimes it seems like some people feel cops have no authority whatsoever. We have given them this authority, RG. And having said that... we need to respect the authority we have given them. Any questionable behaviours on the part of law enforcement in this case came after this woman acted like an idiot.

At the time being, this unfortunate incident is her doing. If a rightful investigation proves otherwise, we can say something differently. I doubt that will happen- I'm not inclined to think Texas jail guards hung this woman. If I was, I would be no different than those people who- routinely getting slammed for it- think Obama is trying to get their guns. Foolish.
    The cop should control his/her emotions and ignore the request which the law doesn't require to be complied with...just like this woman ignored the request with which she had a right to not comply.
    The cop has a right to issue a ticket without having some idiot blow smoke in his face.

Everywhere in society we protect those who do not care for second hand smoke. He never tried to seize her cigarettes... he asked her to put it out so he didn't have to consume toxins while he dealt with her.

I know you think we should be able to shit all over cops and they should patiently put up with it, but I don't.

He could have backed away to avoid the smoke. It was childish but doesn't justify a beat down
    I didn't see a beat down.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Right....might be why led her off camera

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122

So if I get pulled over for speeding and tell the cop "Fuck you" you are saying that he can arrest me?
    Then what happens if that said officer who has pulled one over for speeding and says "what the fuck is your fucking hurry?". Can one then say, "none of your fucking business". Would he or should he then have issues with that answer?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Or maybe he was getting her out of the road.
  • Options
    g under p said:

Then what happens if that said officer who has pulled one over for speeding and says "what the fuck is your fucking hurry?". Can one then say, "none of your fucking business". Would he or should he then have issues with that answer?

Peace
    I wouldn't see if it was ok.
  • Options

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Or maybe he was getting her out of the road.
    I would think the space right in front of his vehicle would be out of the road as well.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    You obviously haven't seen too many wreck scenes if you think it's safe to stand next to a car (even a police car with light flashing) when it's in the road.
    Post edited by Last-12-Exit on
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

rgambs said:

You must comply with a LAWFUL order. "Shut up" is not a lawful order.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

You must comply with a LAWFUL order. "Shut up" is not a lawful order.
    How about be quiet please? Either way, "would you put out your cigarette please" is a lawful order.
  • Options
    http://www.denverpost.com/boulder/ci_18230350?source=rss

Guy was paid $20K settlement due to unlawful arrest for swearing at deputy.

See how that works?

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570
    A death that happens in police custody should ALWAYS be investigated thoroughly. The ethnicity of the dead person is irrelevant.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

A death that happens in police custody should ALWAYS be investigated thoroughly. The ethnicity of the dead person is irrelevant.

I totally agree and no one should have an issue with that investigation.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    northern spiritnorthern spirit I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream Posts: 186
    Very disheartening to see the levels of ignorance and arrogance on this board. Regardless of one's point of view/opinion, kindness and respect can go a long way towards nurturing constructive, informative debate. A young woman, a human being, who had a future and a life ahead of her is now dead.No one knows for sure yet how or why. Some empathy and dignity is not too much to ask I hope.Her name was Sandra Bland.
    1993 08-18 Toronto ON CNE w/ Neil Young, Soundgarden
    1998 08-22 Barrie ON Molson Park
    2003 05-02 Buffalo NY HSBC, 06-28 Toronto ON Molson Amp.
    2004 10-02 Toledo OH Vote For Change w/ Neil Young
    2005 09-19 Toronto ON ACC, 09-13 Hamilton ON Copps, 09-11 Kitchener ON Memorial Gardens
    2006 05-10 Toronto ON ACC, 05-09 Toronto ON ACC
    2007 EV 09-11 Body of War TIFF Screening Isabel Bader Theatre - Grateful to have met Ed!!
    2008 EV 08-12 Toronto ON Massey Hall
    2009 08-21 Toronto ON Molson Amp.
    2010 05-10 Buffalo NY HSBC
    2011 09-15 Hamilton ON Copps, 09-11 Toronto ON ACC, 09-12 Toronto ON ACC,
    2011 EV 06-26 Detroit MI Fox Theatre
    2013 10-12 Buffalo NY First Niagara, 07-16 London ON Bud Gardens
    2016 05-10, 05-12 Toronto ON ACC
  • Options

Very disheartening to see the levels of ignorance and arrogance on this board. Regardless of one's point of view/opinion, kindness and respect can go a long way towards nurturing constructive, informative debate. A young woman, a human being, who had a future and a life ahead of her is now dead.No one knows for sure yet how or why. Some empathy and dignity is not too much to ask I hope.Her name was Sandra Bland.

As far as the Bland family....it is NOT an unreasonable request by the family to have an autopsy and an investigation into to her death no matter what the circumstances/reasons that got her in jail. The reason being the Bland woman is dead nothing can change that but coming to some conclusion that led to her death will give the family some peace while Ms Bland is put to rest.

Peace
    Well I tried, in an earlier post I referred to her as Ms Bland....

Peace

• Options
    northern spiritnorthern spirit I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream Posts: 186
    Peace to you as well g.
    1993 08-18 Toronto ON CNE w/ Neil Young, Soundgarden
    1998 08-22 Barrie ON Molson Park
    2003 05-02 Buffalo NY HSBC, 06-28 Toronto ON Molson Amp.
    2004 10-02 Toledo OH Vote For Change w/ Neil Young
    2005 09-19 Toronto ON ACC, 09-13 Hamilton ON Copps, 09-11 Kitchener ON Memorial Gardens
    2006 05-10 Toronto ON ACC, 05-09 Toronto ON ACC
    2007 EV 09-11 Body of War TIFF Screening Isabel Bader Theatre - Grateful to have met Ed!!
    2008 EV 08-12 Toronto ON Massey Hall
    2009 08-21 Toronto ON Molson Amp.
    2010 05-10 Buffalo NY HSBC
    2011 09-15 Hamilton ON Copps, 09-11 Toronto ON ACC, 09-12 Toronto ON ACC,
    2011 EV 06-26 Detroit MI Fox Theatre
    2013 10-12 Buffalo NY First Niagara, 07-16 London ON Bud Gardens
    2016 05-10, 05-12 Toronto ON ACC