Options

Anyone else think Pearl Jam opening for U2 is lame?

Comments

• Options
    surferdude wrote:
    The last gig U2 played my $49.50 got me very front row. I can email you the pics to prove it. Or take a look around the U2 website, you'll see photos of my son. Every U2 show I saw on the Vertigo tour was at least 2 hours long (120 minutes), average show being 2 hours and 10 minutes and the longest 2 hours and 20 minutes (140 minutes). Many Pearl Jam shows clock in at just over 2 hours. If you had many boots you'd know this. I'm more than glad that Pearl Jam pulls the occassional three hour show but it is far from their norm.

yeah , yeah.

but they play the same setlist every night, it's like everything is staged for mr. bono to stand here and then there and then the edge hits a weak solo and pretend attacks bono like a bull. blah blah blah, it's not an amazing-never-before-seen rock show. With pearl jam, you never know what's going to happen.. you never know the next song is until you hear the opening chord and that alone seperates pj and U2 for me. Fuck record sales and "success", pearl jam is flat out a more versatile(sp?) and talented band. I've seen other bands with "fixed" setlists such as coldplay, and it just doesnt hold up. Knowing the band did the same exact thing yesterday, really brings a show down for me. High emphasis on this, I cant stress it enough. The live show proves the band.

so is it lame for pj to open for u2? yes. Does eddie admire bono? yes but that doesnt mean I (or we) have to. I dont like bono's voice and cant stand when he's prancing around on stage, I was persuaded to watch one of their dvds and I was bored out of my mind. I don't like Bono's image either and sure he helps with the fight against aids or poverty in Africa, sure thing but that doesn't mean Bono is great. If Angelina Jolie started a band and had pj open for her, would you all still go on about how great she is? (besides her looks lol) What i'm talking about is the music and pearl jam is just better in every way, esp. when it comes to live shows. Fuck U2
    10/31/99, 10/27/00, 06/01/03, 10/25/03, 07/07/06, 07/09/06, 07/15/06

Even Flow PSYCHO member #0020!!
    myspace.com/takingpunches
  • Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    but they play the same setlist every night, it's like everything is staged for mr. bono to stand here and then there and then the edge hits a weak solo and pretend attacks bono like a bull. blah blah blah,

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. During the Vertigo tour there were several songs that got played each night. That has a lot to do with a much more intricate show compared to PJ's stripped down approach. But every night they changed out much of the middle of their sets.

For anyone who's interested, here's how their five nights at the Garden broke down:

City of Blinding Lights - 5
    Vertigo - 5
    Elevation - 5
    Beautiful Day - 5
    Miracle Drug - 5
    Sometimes You Can’t Make it on Your Own - 5
    Love and Peace or Else - 5
    Sunday Bloody Sunday - 5
    Bullet The Blue Sky – 5
    Pride in the Name of Love -5
    Where the Streets Have No Name - 5
    One – 5
    All Because of You – 5
    With or Without You – 5

Still Haven’t Found - 4
    Miss Sarajevo - 4
    First Time - 4
    Miss Sarajevo – 4
    Fast Cars – 4

Electric Co. – 3
    Stuck in a Moment - 3

Yahweh - 2
    Crumbs From Your Table – 2
    “40” - 2
    I Will Follow – 2

Party Girl - 1
    Out of Control – 1
    Gloria – 1
    Zoo Station - 1
    The Fly - 1
    Bad - 1
    All I want is You – 1
    Wild Horses - 1
    Original of the Species - 1
    Cry - 1
    The Ocean - 1
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    LoriDee64LoriDee64 Posts: 75
    Soooocial Crisis
    two, three, four, five, six pause beat beat
    This is TRUE.

This is no Social Crisis just another Triicky day for you!!!!
    BOUNDLESS
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,901
    nukeboot wrote:
    I'm sorry, but you're wrong. During the Vertigo tour there were several songs that got played each night. That has a lot to do with a much more intricate show compared to PJ's stripped down approach. But every night they changed out much of the middle of their sets.

For anyone who's interested, here's how their five nights at the Garden broke down:

Vertigo - 5
    Elevation - 5
    Beautiful Day - 5
    Miracle Drug - 5
    Sunday Bloody Sunday - 5
    Bullet The Blue Sky – 5
    One – 5
    All Because of You – 5
    With or Without You – 5

Still Haven’t Found - 4
    Miss Sarajevo - 4
    First Time - 4
    Miss Sarajevo – 4
    Fast Cars – 4

Electric Co. – 3
    Stuck in a Moment - 3

Yahweh - 2
    “40” - 2
    I Will Follow – 2

Party Girl - 1
    Out of Control – 1
    Gloria – 1
    Zoo Station - 1
    The Fly - 1
    Bad - 1
    All I want is You – 1
    Wild Horses - 1
    Cry - 1
    The Ocean - 1

36 songs in five shows is good. For U2.
    Let's just agree that the two bands have very different approaches to touring, and I am sure that some people prefer U2's approach.
  • Options
    leadbedr wrote:
    I DO!!!!
    If its a respect thing then why cant u2 respect pj for they have done and open for them?

I believe U2 and PJ are somewhat iconic bands so this will be kick ass.
    it's because these bands ask PJ to play alongside them, and vice versa, that they are impressed by them and of course the feeling is mutual. This concert is great for us who feel the same as PJ about older artists than us. These bands all recognize each other''s music as classic rock. Now PJ's opening bands are somewhat younger and I personally have an open mind to that. I like to hear old and new stuff. It's a nice mixture.

But once and a while, bands just compliment each other. Pearl Jam and U2 and crews are going to have a well deserved blast Playing together in Hawaii...

What a great after tour party this will be on that island!!!!

Dear Santa.....
    BOUNDLESS
  • Options
    pjrvm wrote:
    I mean come on. U2 hasn't made a good record in about 15 years. Sure they're "legendary" probably more so than Tom Petty. But what is with all these has been bands asking PJ to open. Obviously from PJ's point of view it's an honor, but I couldn't bare watching PJ rock out for an hour and a half and then have to sit through Bono asking us all the save the world. U2 has some great songs, but there day is done as far as I'm concerned, and I think Bono's gone off the deep end a little bit with all his self-righteous bullshit.

Soooooocial Crisis
    2,3,4, pause, beat beat

This is True!

This is no social crisis, just another tricky day for you.....
    BOUNDLESS
  • Options
    dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    nukeboot wrote:

Vertigo - 5
    Elevation - 5
    Beautiful Day - 5
    Miracle Drug - 5
    Sunday Bloody Sunday - 5
    Bullet The Blue Sky – 5
    One – 5
    All Because of You – 5
    With or Without You – 5

Still Haven’t Found - 4
    Miss Sarajevo - 4
    First Time - 4
    Miss Sarajevo – 4
    Fast Cars – 4

Electric Co. – 3
    Stuck in a Moment - 3

Yahweh - 2
    “40” - 2
    I Will Follow – 2

Party Girl - 1
    Out of Control – 1
    Gloria – 1
    Zoo Station - 1
    The Fly - 1
    Bad - 1
    All I want is You – 1
    Wild Horses - 1
    Cry - 1
    The Ocean - 1
    Thank you for that breakdown.

There's lots to be said for these 2 bands and their different approaches to a live show. The beauty of a PJ show is in it's stripped down-ness, it's unpredictablility, it's hard edges and moments of softness.

The beauty of a U2 is that it is a monster-sized spectacle with a very specific purpose. A beautiful one. And that kind of thing you cannot go tweaking with just because. It's akin to and the scale of a Broadway show.

So boys and girls the moral of the story is, like it or no, love it or hate it, this PJ/U2 thing is going to happen....so get over it. Some are going to be unhappy but I guarantee many, many more will be pleased.

Including both bands. And they should be.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Options
    yeah , yeah.

but they play the same setlist every night, it's like everything is staged for mr. bono to stand here and then there and then the edge hits a weak solo and pretend attacks bono like a bull. blah blah blah, it's not an amazing-never-before-seen rock show. With pearl jam, you never know what's going to happen.. you never know the next song is until you hear the opening chord and that alone seperates pj and U2 for me. Fuck record sales and "success", pearl jam is flat out a more versatile(sp?) and talented band. I've seen other bands with "fixed" setlists such as coldplay, and it just doesnt hold up. Knowing the band did the same exact thing yesterday, really brings a show down for me. High emphasis on this, I cant stress it enough. The live show proves the band.

so is it lame for pj to open for u2? yes. Does eddie admire bono? yes but that doesnt mean I (or we) have to. I dont like bono's voice and cant stand when he's prancing around on stage, I was persuaded to watch one of their dvds and I was bored out of my mind. I don't like Bono's image either and sure he helps with the fight against aids or poverty in Africa, sure thing but that doesn't mean Bono is great. If Angelina Jolie started a band and had pj open for her, would you all still go on about how great she is? (besides her looks lol) What i'm talking about is the music and pearl jam is just better in every way, esp. when it comes to live shows. Fuck U2

You miss one imporatant point in your argument. While I personally went to 17 shows (so far) on the Vertigo tour I would say its fair to estimate that 95% of the people that go to a U2 show only go to one per tour. U2 does have a contingent of fans that follow the band but they certainly arent "the new grateful dead" like Pearl Jam. What is U2 to do as a band every night? Should they play to the 95% of the crowd who are only going to see the one show and want the full spectacle and hit songs or cater to the 5% who are a little weary of some of the "staged" aspects of the show. U2 and Pearl Jam are my two favorite bands. Ive seen them both 30+ times each in the last five years. I will say here what I tell everyone who asks me why I follow them both around. Pearl Jam puts on the best "concert" you will ever see. U2 puts on the best "show' you will ever see.

That said, U2 does make an effort to change up their setlist as much as they reasonably can. I think they do the best they possibly can to make sure every single person walks out of their show satisfied.

U2 is not Pearl Jam and Pearl Jam is not U2. I think this has been clearly established. They are, however, both the best at what they do.

As far as not liking "fixed" setlists you must not like any other band because Pearl Jam is the only band that does a truly unique setlist every night. Its an unfair expectation that you have that you expect bands to play unique setlists every night. If bands went on the road and didnt play all their hits like people expect the concert industry would collapse on itself. Pearl Jam is very fortunate to have such a hardcore fanbase that appreciates the uniqueness of each show. There isnt really any other band I could think of that has fans that would tolerate that.

Ill give you current example. Bruce Springsteen is a rock legend. When he tours with the E Street Band its the hottest ticket in town. He just put out a great album, The Seeger Sessions and is touring behind it but his tour is flat. Most people, including many of his hardcore fans, dont want to fork over the cash if they know they wont hear Born in The USA or Thunder Road.

Again, the bulk of concert goers (across the board not just Pearl Jam fans) are one night only in their hometown. Its about a night of fun and entertainment hearing songs they can sing along with. Its not the band's fault, thats just the way the machine works.
    Im Rick James bitch!
  • Options
    If bands went on the road and didnt play all their hits like people expect the concert industry would collapse on itself.

Good post. The only thing I would add is that the other act that can totally mix things up is....Uncle Neil.

On the Greendale tour he played the whole, slightly obscure album and then closed with a few hits. The fans were very patient and appreciative. I caught it at the Garden and didn't hear a single complaint from the people around me.
  • Options
    brianjdbrianjd Posts: 201
    You miss one imporatant point in your argument. While I personally went to 17 shows (so far) on the Vertigo tour I would say its fair to estimate that 95% of the people that go to a U2 show only go to one per tour. U2 does have a contingent of fans that follow the band but they certainly arent "the new grateful dead" like Pearl Jam. What is U2 to do as a band every night? Should they play to the 95% of the crowd who are only going to see the one show and want the full spectacle and hit songs or cater to the 5% who are a little weary of some of the "staged" aspects of the show. U2 and Pearl Jam are my two favorite bands. Ive seen them both 30+ times each in the last five years. I will say here what I tell everyone who asks me why I follow them both around. Pearl Jam puts on the best "concert" you will ever see. U2 puts on the best "show' you will ever see.

That said, U2 does make an effort to change up their setlist as much as they reasonably can. I think they do the best they possibly can to make sure every single person walks out of their show satisfied.

U2 is not Pearl Jam and Pearl Jam is not U2. I think this has been clearly established. They are, however, both the best at what they do.

As far as not liking "fixed" setlists you must not like any other band because Pearl Jam is the only band that does a truly unique setlist every night. Its an unfair expectation that you have that you expect bands to play unique setlists every night. If bands went on the road and didnt play all their hits like people expect the concert industry would collapse on itself. Pearl Jam is very fortunate to have such a hardcore fanbase that appreciates the uniqueness of each show. There isnt really any other band I could think of that has fans that would tolerate that.

Ill give you current example. Bruce Springsteen is a rock legend. When he tours with the E Street Band its the hottest ticket in town. He just put out a great album, The Seeger Sessions and is touring behind it but his tour is flat. Most people, including many of his hardcore fans, dont want to fork over the cash if they know they wont hear Born in The USA or Thunder Road.

Again, the bulk of concert goers (across the board not just Pearl Jam fans) are one night only in their hometown. Its about a night of fun and entertainment hearing songs they can sing along with. Its not the band's fault, thats just the way the machine works.

totally right on
    Irvine 1992, Las Vegas 1993, Mountain View 1994, San Diego 1995, Los Angeles 1996, Los Angeles 1998, Moutain View 1999, San Bernadino 2000, Los Angeles 2000, Irvine 2003, Irvine 2003, Moutain View 2003, Santa Barbara 2003, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006, Santa Barbara 2006
  • Options
    LoriDee64 wrote:
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just HAD to quote this in case anyone is STILL crying....

This guy is absolutely correct...Thank the powers that be that there are only a select few who whine and complain. These bands playing TOGETHER will be kick Ass. I hope I can find a way and a means to see this concert.

Dear Santa,

lol

Sorry. This guy is on crack and obviously totally biased. I have seen lots of truly great guitarists and The Edge would not make the top 25. I do agree Bono has to be considered a top five frontman but it is close. Roger Daltry, Robert Plant, Jim Morrisson, Mick Jagger and then maybe Bono. But Edge is a very basic guitar player. You are going to actually argue he is as good as Pete Townshend, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, jeff Beck, etc, etc, etc? Not even close. I think both Mike and Stone kick Edge's ass. We will just see. If they let PJ turn the volume up and kick it for at least an hour you will see for yourself.
    Irvine 1992, Las Vegas 1993, Mountain View 1994, San Diego 1995, Los Angeles 1996, Los Angeles 1998, Moutain View 1999, San Bernadino 2000, Los Angeles 2000, Irvine 2003, Irvine 2003, Moutain View 2003, Santa Barbara 2003, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006, Santa Barbara 2006
  • Options
    AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    "Pearl Jam is very fortunate to have such a hardcore fanbase that appreciates the uniqueness of each show. There isnt really any other band I could think of that has fans that would tolerate that."

I think you have this wrong.

Pearl Jam did it the way they wanted. Fans appreciated it after the fact. Tolerate it? PJ fans didn't have a choice.

PJ wasn't afraid. They weren't afraid to push their musicianship and most importantly, they didn't want to become "human jukeboxes" playing the same show every night like automatons.

Pearl Jam made a choice. We aren't special as fans. We didn't *tolerate* it. This is what PJ did in concert. Other bands could do the same thing if they wanted to challenge their skills and develop into a great live band. Their fans would go along with it because they ARE fans.

People don't stay away from PJ shows because they might not hear Black. They don't stay away from Bruce because they might not hear Thunder Road. Something else is going on with Bruce. Springsteen's fans are older. They don't go to as many concerts because their lives have changed.

PJ has a hellavalotta young fans. LOTS of fans in their teens. There aren't that many Bruce fans in the same age group. This is what fuels PJ and it feeds on itself.

The difficult challenge PJ set before themselves as musicians separated them from every other rock band when they started doing this, but the payoff is that they met that challenge. They really are that good live and the kids who come to see them are blown away, becoming life long fans. Word of mouth and the reviews, even from people who are ambivalent towards the band, are nothing short of spectacular. The reviews reflect the band's musical prowess.

There is a truism at work. If you practice you will get better. If you try and try and try and work and work you will get better. This is not the same band, skill-wise, that toured in 1998. This is a much better band and they'll only get better as time goes on.

Why? Because they challenge themselves with every show.

uhm... this has been a little off topic but I had to say something.

Oh yeah. Pearl Jam rulez and I'm beginning to think I have to spend the money.

DAMNIT

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Options
    dharma69 wrote:
    Thank you for that breakdown.

There's lots to be said for these 2 bands and their different approaches to a live show. The beauty of a PJ show is in it's stripped down-ness, it's unpredictablility, it's hard edges and moments of softness.

The beauty of a U2 is that it is a monster-sized spectacle with a very specific purpose. A beautiful one. And that kind of thing you cannot go tweaking with just because. It's akin to and the scale of a Broadway show.

So boys and girls the moral of the story is, like it or no, love it or hate it, this PJ/U2 thing is going to happen....so get over it. Some are going to be unhappy but I guarantee many, many more will be pleased.

Including both bands. And they should be.

Behind the U2 machine is very simple. Money. Big piles of green money and that is it. There is a huge investment in this Vertigo circus and it is set to break the record for the most lucrative tour in history. Interesting accomplishment for a band that claims to be a band of the people. These guys are bloody capitalists hiding behind this amnesty international bullshit. They own Hotels, promote IPOD, and then run off and hang out with Desmond Tutu. I ain't buyin it. These guys are NOT the real deal. They are a good band at best being driven by an enormous money machine.

On the contrary, our band plays for the people and play for themselves. It aint about the dough. Its about the music. This is why we all travel to see our band. Because they are the band of the people. Not your Irish posers.
  • Options
    brianjd wrote:
    Behind the U2 machine is very simple. Money. Big piles of green money and that is it. There is a huge investment in this Vertigo circus and it is set to break the record for the most lucrative tour in history. Interesting accomplishment for a band that claims to be a band of the people. These guys are bloody capitalists hiding behind this amnesty international bullshit. They own Hotels, promote IPOD,...quote]

More U2 hater bullshit.

You don't know how much they are making net on the tour. What you're looking at are ticket sale nets.

U2 didn't accept any money from Apple. They used Ipod deal to promote their music.

And U2 doesn't care about people?

You've got a screw loose.
  • Options
    dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    brianjd wrote:
    Behind the U2 machine is very simple. Money. Big piles of green money and that is it. There is a huge investment in this Vertigo circus and it is set to break the record for the most lucrative tour in history. Interesting accomplishment for a band that claims to be a band of the people. These guys are bloody capitalists hiding behind this amnesty international bullshit. They own Hotels, promote IPOD, and then run off and hang out with Desmond Tutu. I ain't buyin it. These guys are NOT the real deal. They are a good band at best being driven by an enormous money machine.

On the contrary, our band plays for the people and play for themselves. It aint about the dough. Its about the music. This is why we all travel to see our band. Because they are the band of the people. Not your Irish posers.
    Capitalists: one having a major financial interest in an important enterprise...definitely not the members of PJ. No interest in the ability to make money, these guys. You must be right....heavens knows the members of U2 are damn near destitute....must tour....must make money to pay for the kids' college educations....

Yet they forgot to accept money from Steve Job and Apple.

And how dare they own real estate? No one who's "real" actually invests their hard earned money into something that might earn a return. Make even more money? Turn a failing business into something that employs the locals and boosts tourism? Fuckers!

And traveling to see a band is overrated. Just ask my friend who saw the LA, San Diego, Mexico, Las Vegas, Dublin, Italy and Manchester U2 shows...and will be making the trip to Hawaii. Strangely enough she'll be in the company of several others who have mapped out similar U2 concert paths last year.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Options
    teens and their parents! Whenever they play concerts alongside old school rockers, it personally makes me feel even closer to them...

Thanks for playing alongside the legends PJ....It Rock's Our World!
    BOUNDLESS
  • Options
    nukeboot wrote:
    brianjd wrote:
    Behind the U2 machine is very simple. Money. Big piles of green money and that is it. There is a huge investment in this Vertigo circus and it is set to break the record for the most lucrative tour in history. Interesting accomplishment for a band that claims to be a band of the people. These guys are bloody capitalists hiding behind this amnesty international bullshit. They own Hotels, promote IPOD,...quote]

More U2 hater bullshit.

You don't know how much they are making net on the tour. What you're looking at are ticket sale nets.

U2 didn't accept any money from Apple. They used Ipod deal to promote their music.

And U2 doesn't care about people?

You've got a screw loose.

No one said they did not care. I simply don't think that Bono is the fucking Messiah like you all do. They care, but they don't care as much as you would like to think. I just think, after seeing them live, that they need to care a little bit more about the music and their fans rather than breaking records and making dough if they want respect.

These are the facts: Vertigo has already grossed 330 Million dollars breaking the Stones Voodoo Lounge Tour record and they expect haul in more dough when they complete at the end of the year.

I ain't knocking it if that is what you are about. But U2 will have you believe they are all about the people. I would like to know how much of that haul is going to charity?

That's all. It's not hate just serious skepticism.
  • Options
    dharma69 wrote:
    Capitalists: one having a major financial interest in an important enterprise...definitely not the members of PJ. No interest in the ability to make money, these guys. You must be right....heavens knows the members of U2 are damn near destitute....must tour....must make money to pay for the kids' college educations....

Yet they forgot to accept money from Steve Job and Apple.

And how dare they own real estate? No one who's "real" actually invests their hard earned money into something that might earn a return. Make even more money? Turn a failing business into something that employs the locals and boosts tourism? Fuckers!

And traveling to see a band is overrated. Just ask my friend who saw the LA, San Diego, Mexico, Las Vegas, Dublin, Italy and Manchester U2 shows...and will be making the trip to Hawaii. Strangely enough she'll be in the company of several others who have mapped out similar U2 concert paths last year.

Buy the DVD and watch it over and over and over again. She will save a fortune.
  • Options
    brianjd wrote:
    No one said they did not care. I simply don't think that Bono is the fucking Messiah like you all do.

If you read my posts you should realize that I actually think Bono is a decent, genuine guy.

It's the U2 haters that claim he has a Messiah complex, which is complete crap.

Pearl Jam is the exception to the rule. I admire that they put the fans first, but every other major band is out there to make as much money as fast as they possibly can. U2 is in something called the music business. They make tons of money because they produce music that people love.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    $49.50??? Where did you sit, in the parking lot?? I like U2 but their last tour, tickets were about $85 for shitty seats. Not to mention, they usually only play about 90-120 minutes and that's it. PJ plays for at least 180 minutes every show that they headlining.

180 minutes? what pearl jam shows are you at? that's 3 hours. they dont play anywhere near that on a nightly basis. the longest show ever was state college at about 3.5. they play maybe 2.5 hours each night. close to it anyway. u2 plays at least 2.
  • Options
    180 minutes? what pearl jam shows are you at? that's 3 hours. they dont play anywhere near that on a nightly basis. the longest show ever was state college at about 3.5. they play maybe 2.5 hours each night. close to it anyway. u2 plays at least 2.

General Admission floor seats for U2's last two tours have been $50. I saw 17 shows and was front row for 10 of them and it cost me less than 10c tickets for any of the 10 shows I saw this tour.

The length of show is about the same for both bands. When you say U2 plays for an 90 minutes and PJ plays for 3 hours it just a blatant lie that discredits anything you say.

While I love Pearl Jam Im pretty sure the Albany 03 and Asheville 04 shows I attended were shorter than any of the U2 shows I have seen.
    Im Rick James bitch!
  • Options

Hey! Don't let facts and numbers get in the way of a good argument!

:D
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    General Admission floor seats for U2's last two tours have been $50. I saw 17 shows and was front row for 10 of them and it cost me less than 10c tickets for any of the 10 shows I saw this tour.

The length of show is about the same for both bands. When you say U2 plays for an 90 minutes and PJ plays for 3 hours it just a blatant lie that discredits anything you say.

While I love Pearl Jam Im pretty sure the Albany 03 and Asheville 04 shows I attended were shorter than any of the U2 shows I have seen.

i didnt say that, this guy did. ive not seen u2 but i know from people who have and dvd's that they top out over 2 hours and pearl jam, on a nightly basis, plays about the exact same. sure, there ahve been pearl jam shows that stretch to 3 hours, but that is the exception rather than the rule.
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    Fuck record sales and "success", pearl jam is flat out a more versatile(sp?) and talented band.
    Please explain how anyone can possibly think that Pearl Jam is more versatile than U2.

U2 started as post-punk band - Boy,
    did a partial landscape album - The Unforgettable Fire,
    made the best record of the '80's - Joshua Tree,
    completely reinvented their sound for - Achtung Baby,
    pushed technology and dance beats to their rock n' roll limits - Zooropa and Pop,
    then came around back to basics for All That You Can't Leave Behind and How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb.

Pearl Jam's sound is no where near as versatile. Fuck I love Pearl Jam but I am at least aware of what they are a straight ahead rock band that has made one experimental album - No Code.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    Please explain how anyone can possibly think that Pearl Jam is more versatile than U2.

U2 started as post-punk band - Boy,
    did a partial landscape album - The Unforgettable Fire,
    made the best record of the '80's - Joshua Tree,
    completely reinvented their sound for - Achtung Baby,
    pushed technology and dance beats to their rock n' roll limits - Zooropa and Pop,
    then came around back to basics for All That You Can't Leave Behind and How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb.

Pearl Jam's sound is no where near as versatile. Fuck I love Pearl Jam but I am at least aware of what they are a straight ahead rock band that has made one experimental album - No Code.

Stop making sense!
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258
    I would love to see U2, but I wouldn't fly to Hawaii to see U2. I would fly to Hawaii to see a Pearl Jam concert, but not a U2 concert that Pearl Jam opens for. I think they are both excellent bands. My most recent U2 CD I own is Joshua tree. I don't know much of their stuff after that.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    "made the best record of the '80's - Joshua Tree, "

oh FCOL!!! granted it's a matter of taste but really,... sheesh.

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    I would love to see U2, but I wouldn't fly to Hawaii to see U2. I would fly to Hawaii to see a Pearl Jam concert, but not a U2 concert that Pearl Jam opens for. I think they are both excellent bands. My most recent U2 CD I own is Joshua tree. I don't know much of their stuff after that.
    This is my take on going to Hawaii in December. I'm going to Hawaii for a break, seeing a concert or two is part of that break. The concert(s) are not the raison d'etre for going to Hawaii.

Don't you take a pre-Christmas get-away every year for a few days? So I'll fly to Hawaii for a week, $500 (from Seattle). Stay in a hostel, $30 a night ($210 total). Buy some food and beer ($300). Concert tickets for two nights ($100-$200). Rent a car for a few days ($300). Rent a surfboard $100. So for $1600 I have a week in Hawaii, two great concerts, a few days surfing, some rest, relaxation and a bit of partying before Christmas. Plus I'll hit up a tacky toursit store and do all my Christmas shopping in about 2 hours. Sounds pretty sensible and a good deal.
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    Alessiana wrote:
    "made the best record of the '80's - Joshua Tree, "

oh FCOL!!! granted it's a matter of taste but really,... sheesh.
    Let's hear your top 10 of the '80's then.
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    neartodeathneartodeath Posts: 167
    brianjd wrote:
    nukeboot wrote:
    ....These are the facts: Vertigo has already grossed 330 Million dollars breaking the Stones Voodoo Lounge Tour record and they expect haul in more dough when they complete at the end of the year.....

OMG last i heard it was at least a $100 million dollar tour...now it's 3 times that!

greed is a very bad thing