Options

Anyone else think Pearl Jam opening for U2 is lame?

Comments

• Options
    jmosherjmosher Posts: 34
    inmyrvm wrote:
    you beat me to it. u2 is the last band they should be opening for. it should be the other way around. the only u2 song i ever liked was sunday bloody sunday. u2 blows, this is just a flat out shame, and even more of an embarrasment than the rolling stones show.

I guess Pearl Jam should have asked you first. Maybe you would have been happier if they opened for Kelly Clarkson or Clay Aiken? Learn some respect and try to figure out; You don't OWN the band.
    By the way, I've never been able to get U2 tickets without being willing to put my house up for collateral (which I refused to do). Thank goodness PJ attempts to make a way for their fans to get tix!! Much respect to them!

Well if you were a U2 fan club member they also let you pre-purchase tickets. It's too bad you're house is not worth $50.00. Maybe in your rush to bad mouth a great band, you should have done some research. Yeah, I know, it was sarcasm.....done badly.

JM \m/
  • Options
    some of you really need to grow the fuck up.

i wouldnt call myself a fan of U2, but i think this is great and would love to go see it.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • Options
    mwachsmanmwachsman Posts: 474
    I agree, U2 couldn't hold Pearl Jam's jock. They are horrible.
    "So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
    "Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."
  • Options
    We need our own damn show....in Hawaii.

mahalo

Yes....They need to do their own show. Thinking on flying out for a week just to be there in case they do a show. At least we can surf with Ed (and probably Jack Johnson) at that south break at the North Shore. WAITING!!!
    Mahalo Mike..3/1/91, 5/25/91, 8/29/91, 1/3/92, 1/17/92, 7/22/92, 9/20/92, 10/25/93, 12/7-9/93, 2/5-6/95, 6/24/95, 11/4/95, 11/6-7/95, 10/20/96, 7/10-11/98, 7/13-14/98, 10/22/00, 10/24-25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2-3/03, 6/5-6/03, 7/6-7/06, 7/9-10/06, 7/12-13/06, 7/16/06, 7/22/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06.
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    Sad to hear you couldn't afford the $49.50 it cost me to see U2 last tour. Hopefully you've been able to find the $60 it takes to see Pearl Jam this tour.
    $49.50??? Where did you sit, in the parking lot?? I like U2 but their last tour, tickets were about $85 for shitty seats. Not to mention, they usually only play about 90-120 minutes and that's it. PJ plays for at least 180 minutes every show that they headlining.
    Mahalo Mike..3/1/91, 5/25/91, 8/29/91, 1/3/92, 1/17/92, 7/22/92, 9/20/92, 10/25/93, 12/7-9/93, 2/5-6/95, 6/24/95, 11/4/95, 11/6-7/95, 10/20/96, 7/10-11/98, 7/13-14/98, 10/22/00, 10/24-25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2-3/03, 6/5-6/03, 7/6-7/06, 7/9-10/06, 7/12-13/06, 7/16/06, 7/22/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06.
  • Options
    veinvein Chicago Posts: 77
    U2 is without question one of the greatest bands any generation can see. I will also say that Pearl Jam is too. I will live a happy life having been able to see any of them perform for me live. IMO, both of them playing together in the same night will expand each band's audience. Not only does the band get to play with musicians they consider friends or whatever, they will also expose thier music to the fans of U2. That is not a bad thing in any way. 1, 2, 3 or even 10 shows opening for U2 will only hurt those in towns in which PJ would otherwise not play, because they played/opened for those cities.
    Chicago 95, 98, Indy 03, Chicago 06, Chicago Vic 07
    EV Chicago 08, Chicago 09, Indy 10
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,387
    Eh...I guess the whole co-headline/opening thing doesn't really phase me since it hasn't occurred up this way. I'd be kinda bummed if my only chance to see them locally on a given tour was playing for 90 min before Petty, opening for U2, and/or playing a football stadium.
  • Options
    brianjdbrianjd Posts: 201
    pjrvm wrote:
    I mean come on. U2 hasn't made a good record in about 15 years. Sure they're "legendary" probably more so than Tom Petty. But what is with all these has been bands asking PJ to open. Obviously from PJ's point of view it's an honor, but I couldn't bare watching PJ rock out for an hour and a half and then have to sit through Bono asking us all the save the world. U2 has some great songs, but there day is done as far as I'm concerned, and I think Bono's gone off the deep end a little bit with all his self-righteous bullshit.

I like the fact they want to play with these legendary people. But at this point the only bands int he world they should open for would be the Stones and the Who. Co-headlining should be all they do at most at this point or they risk the perception of always being second best. And we all know. they are not.
    Irvine 1992, Las Vegas 1993, Mountain View 1994, San Diego 1995, Los Angeles 1996, Los Angeles 1998, Moutain View 1999, San Bernadino 2000, Los Angeles 2000, Irvine 2003, Irvine 2003, Moutain View 2003, Santa Barbara 2003, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006, Santa Barbara 2006
  • Options
    brianjdbrianjd Posts: 201
    guljor94 wrote:
    PJ playing with / opening for U2 is probably more about PJ enjoying it for the experience. I'm guessing they're fans. And so that's all that matters, right?

I'm not sure PJ would sign up for it if they thought it was lame...unless they just wanted a free trip to Hawaii.

They will be coming back from their Australia stop. It's on the way home and cuts the flight down by 7 hours. My guess is this was a spur of the moment thing and Ed thought it would be cool to chill and surf in Hawaii on the way back to surfless Seattle. U2 happened to be in the right place at the right time for them. I hope u2 don't get embarrased by our boys. Ok I do hope they get embarrassed a little....I would expect at least one full PJ show in Hawaii. Why wouldn't they? I have to imagine they have a great fan base there.
    Irvine 1992, Las Vegas 1993, Mountain View 1994, San Diego 1995, Los Angeles 1996, Los Angeles 1998, Moutain View 1999, San Bernadino 2000, Los Angeles 2000, Irvine 2003, Irvine 2003, Moutain View 2003, Santa Barbara 2003, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006, Santa Barbara 2006
  • Options
    3inputchick3inputchick Posts: 845
    Pearl Jam in Hawaii, christmas lights all around, nothing but a bikini and sand....
    It's going to best the best December ever!
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
  • Options
    toronado10toronado10 Posts: 239
    I cant wait for pearl jam to open for social distortion, we all know what big fans of social d the band is. not to mention that social d is one of the legendary bands of punk rock.
    Take time to see the sky,
    Find shapes in the clouds.
    Hear the murmur of the wind
    and touch the cool water.
    Walk softly,
    we are intruders,
    tolerated briefly
    In an infinite universe.
  • Options
    dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    pjrvm wrote:
    I mean come on. U2 hasn't made a good record in about 15 years. Sure they're "legendary" probably more so than Tom Petty. But what is with all these has been bands asking PJ to open. Obviously from PJ's point of view it's an honor, but I couldn't bare watching PJ rock out for an hour and a half and then have to sit through Bono asking us all the save the world. U2 has some great songs, but there day is done as far as I'm concerned, and I think Bono's gone off the deep end a little bit with all his self-righteous bullshit.
    If it were legal I think that I would sell my mother to see this show....
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Options
    PJ plays for at least 180 minutes every show that they headlining.

i think you need to check your math again ace
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    i think you need to check your math again ace

Shhhhh. He's on a roll...
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Apparently you haven't been to a U2 concert. When U2 puts on a show, they put on a SHOW... lighting, screens, effects and all. How do you think they pay for all of that? <snip>

The difference between U2 and PJ, however, is that PJ don't care about the "show" side. It's not part of their repertoire. The most they have is what.. the mirror ball? And nixing that side of a concert is one sure way of keeping ticket costs down.

I like both bands (PJ, U2), but I'm not sure I buy the visuals 'show' aspect as a cause for higher prices though. I recently became a fan of NIN, and their show is quite visual too, with screens, and a segmented gate thing with programmed LEDs all over it, but the prices were still quite low. (Lawn at Saratoga was about $20, seats were I think, $49) Not saying U2 isn't justified on their prices, but not sure its because of what is in the show (I've seen U2 once on the tour in Montreal last year). Granted NIN didn't have anything like an ellipse and the lights on that..... still though.

I said earlier in this thread I wouldn't even try to go to the Hawaii show, but never say never. Maybe PJ will have other shows in Hawaii - that's a heck of a lot of equipment to carry all that way, to only use once, no? It would be nice to get out of hellhole upstate NY in December for a few days when all the locals are going Christmas mad.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    no, not lame at all. obviously, pj is in an enviable position. meaning: they can do whatever the fuck they want. years ago they opened for U2, and probably moreso out of necessity being a newer band. 15 years later, they are doing what they WANT to do. obviously, they want to open for U2, i think it's a cool bill...good for them, hope everyone who goes has a blast!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    JaneNY wrote:
    I like both bands (PJ, U2), but I'm not sure I buy the visuals 'show' aspect as a cause for higher prices though. I recently became a fan of NIN, and their show is quite visual too, with screens, and a segmented gate thing with programmed LEDs all over it, but the prices were still quite low. (Lawn at Saratoga was about $20, seats were I think, $49) Not saying U2 isn't justified on their prices, but not sure its because of what is in the show (I've seen U2 once on the tour in Montreal last year). Granted NIN didn't have anything like an ellipse and the lights on that..... still though.

I saw NIN twice in the last year. I was never their biggest fan, but their live show is incredible. Last year I saw them in the Orpheum in Boston, a real small venue. They impressed the hell out of me with their live sound (opener Dresden Dolls were great too). This summer, those giant venetian blind combined with Lite-Brite things... really original... and the patterns they chose fit the mood of each song really well.

On PJ opening for U2... if Pink Floyd was the 3rd act, I'd have died and gone to Heaven.
  • Options
    jeffwalshjeffwalsh Posts: 169
    pj can do whatever they want. they have earned that respect from me.

u2 are all about greed. pearl jam aren't. that is the big difference as is see it.

the u2 show is not worth the $100+ price they charge, while pearl jam is worth WAY more than what they charge, as a headliner.

u2 have made over a 100million dollars on their last 2(maybe more) tours...you would think that u2 might finally want to show some respect to their fans and lower their ticket prices. then again maybe they don't care...

Hmm, as a U2 Fan Club member as well as a 10c member, I actually paid less for my U2 floor seats on Vertigo tour than my recent 10c SF tickets for PJ. U2 sells the floor to its fans on the cheap, but charges a lot more for lower bowl.
  • Options
    slyneuralslyneural Posts: 37
    "Anyone else think Pearl Jam opening for U2 is lame? "

simply.........no
    Fargo '03, Chicago(II) '06,
  • Options
    LoriDee64LoriDee64 Posts: 75
    where to begin............

First of all, it's U2's show. It always was and always will be. They invited PJ to open to which the band accepted. Everyone here is complaining about U2 like it's a burden that they are playing their own show

Second, Pearl Jam will be having their own shows out there. Trust me

Third, U2 has always made an effort to have up and coming bands open for them. This is a one time thing. On their most recent tour they have Kings of Leon, The Arcade Fire, Dashboard Confessional, The Killers, and even went as far as to bring Kanye West out.

Fourth, if you say U2 hasnt made a good record in 15 years you are an idiot-matter of fact. Most likely if you are making this comment you havent even listened to anything since Joshua Tree. You probably hear part of a song on the radio and base your opinion on that. Its kind of like what most people do with Pearl Jam. The truth is that U2, in 25+ years, has never made a bad album. Pop being their biggest commercial disappointment is still a great album.

Five, If you think U2 just sucks as a band then, again, you are an idiot. They are the most innovative band of our time. They are the only band in rock history to continually make relevant albums for 25+ years. Furthermore, ask any band member of any band in the rock n roll hall of fame to name the top five greatest guitarists and/or frontmen and I guarantee you every single one will have The Edge and Bono on their respective lists. Anyone who knows anything about music cant deny this.

Six, I would hardly call Bono self righteous because he cares about the world and people living in other countries that are saddled in bad debt and dying by the millions because the cant afford vacinies that cost pennies. Yes, he is just so full of himself because hes not like most of us who only care about what is going on in our backyard. Ignorance is bliss.

Seven, Pearl Jam is free to do whatever they want. If they want to open a show for their friends then they will. Everyone has this sense of entitlement that Pearl Jam most accomodate everyone. If you dont want to go, dont go. I am so glad the band doesnt really check this board. If I was them and read the posts here I would probably just call it quits.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just HAD to quote this in case anyone is STILL crying....

This guy is absolutely correct...Thank the powers that be that there are only a select few who whine and complain. These bands playing TOGETHER will be kick Ass. I hope I can find a way and a means to see this concert.

Dear Santa,

lol
    BOUNDLESS
  • Options
    luckytwnluckytwn Posts: 36
    $49.50??? Where did you sit, in the parking lot?? I like U2 but their last tour, tickets were about $85 for shitty seats. Not to mention, they usually only play about 90-120 minutes and that's it. PJ plays for at least 180 minutes every show that they headlining.

Hate to break it ya, but EVERY GA floor ticket on this U2 tour has been $49.50. The lower level tickets in the arena were $165 and there were $85 tix also.

Plus, PJ has played 180 mins (that's 3 hrs in case you can't do the math) a few times in their entire career. The avg PJ show probably runs in the 2:20-2:30 range.

Note also the avg U2 show on the Vertigo tour lasted in the 2:00-2:15 range, though I did see at least one show (Nov 1 in LA) that was 2:30.
  • Options
    Pearl Jam in Hawaii, christmas lights all around, nothing but a bikini and sand....
    It's going to best the best December ever!

hahahha.. hi 3IC :D See ya on the other board ;)
    "If you hate something, don't you do it, too..."
  • Options
    glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    some of you really need to grow the fuck up.

i wouldnt call myself a fan of U2, but i think this is great and would love to go see it.

i agree with you. complaining about pearl jam opening for u2 is rediculous - even if you hate u2
    i'm sure it will be a show to remember
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Options
    hahahha.. hi 3IC :D See ya on the other board ;)
    I bet you alot of these folks would LOVE sternchat.com
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
  • Options
    we will all have little lays around our necks....

I am SOOOOOOO excited!
  • Options
    yea this sucks i hate U2, cant stand bono hes got the biggest ego and when him and geldof join forces its sick. U2 to me a shite boring radio crap pop rock edge has to be the most over rated guitarist ever take that mans effects pedal away from him and hes screwed
    Speaking as a child of the 90's
  • Options
    Hey man, not to flame on ya', but reasons 5 and six HAVE to be the dumbest fuckin' things I've read in a LOOOOOOONG time. MOST people would not put Bono and the Edge in the top five list of anything. Nothing against you, Bono, or the Edge, but Bono is a "good" singer at best, and The Edge is a creative guy, but wouldn't fall into most people's top 10. These guys have a very creative and original band that are in their own league amongst many of their peers, and even if people on this board don't like them, they should at least give them credit there.
    Also, there are a number of acts that have managed to remain relevant over a long career. The fact that you seem to be a big U2 fan might cloud your vision a bit, but do some research and you will find a number of artists who have held up longer and who I am sure were an inspiration to U2.
    Remember, if you are going to come at people because you question their opinions, you may want to seperate opinions from fact in your own post. My opinion, as somebody who owns everthing U2 has done since "Boy" is that they have been slipping since Zooropa, and that while they are still a talented band, they are trying to please the critics to the point that there albums are now blander than white bread. It is also, my opinion that Bono wanting to make the world a better place gives him no right to be self-righteous. Many people have spent their lives trying to save the planet without being ego-maniacal.
    If you are going to the show, I hope you enjoy it my friend!

I feel bad for you that you are, or call yourself, a U2 fan and feel that they have been slipping since Zooropa. Maybe the unfortunate thing for U2 is that they are constantly compared to U2. I suppose if you made an album like the Joshua Tree, which is arguably the best album of the 80's and followed it up with Acthung Baby , which is arguably in the top 5 of the 90's, then just about anything you is going to seem like a disappointment to some.

However, if you listen to post Zooropa songs like Miss Sarajevo and can say that is bland then your argument has lost all merit.

Finally, someone please explain to me how Bono is self righteous. Everyone keeps saying that but nobody can articulate how that is true. Im dying to know. I have had the fortune to speak to Bono on a couple of occassions and he is perhaps one of the most humble and sincere people that I have met. Caring about the world you live in is not self righteous. So again, I throw down the gauntlet for someone to explain this to me.
    Im Rick James bitch!
  • Options
    nukeboot wrote:
    I'm a huge U2 fan and I'm with you on most of your post, but...

Bono certainly would be near the top of the list for frontmen. Great voice and works an audience like nobody else. But I don't think the Edge is even in the top 10 (or 20) guitarists. He plays with a unique style, does some really cool fills and busts out a strong lead every so often. I think even he would admit though that he's not a guitar hero. I actually think that Adam is the stronger player. He really drives their music and is technically top notch.

Just my opinion.

I respect your opinion but I will have to strongly disagree. He is a guitar hero. First, I will state that I am not a guitar player-but I dont think that matters. I dont think from the standpoint of listening to music that being "technically perfect" is important. Its not a driving exam it is music.

Edge is one of the few people I can think of that has created his own sound. When you hear a U2 song you know it immediately. Its unmistakable. There are a small handful of people that have ever done that.

One of the great qoutes I heard about The Edge, I think it was from Brian Eno, and he was talking about With or Without You. They were going to put a solo in WOWY and The Edge didnt want to. Looking back on it Eno commented that one of the great things about his playing is that he knows when to show restraint. I tend to think that he doesnt get enough credit for songs such as One. Obviously, just as much credit goes to Bono for the lyrics but the music is so beautifully simple yet lends itself to the sentiment so well.
    Its a song as simple as that about son coming out to his father that is so ambiguous that it cold apply to any relationship-be it with a parent, a lover or God and could then turn into a theme song for equality.Ultimately The Edge is the backbone of all of that. He doesnt have to dominate everything. He gives himself to the song as the songs need him and no more. Like him or not, Like U2 or not, I could play at least two dozens riffs of his that anyone on the street could identify. But this is just my opinion as a music fan who doesnt feel rock should be "technically perfect".
    Im Rick James bitch!
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    The last gig U2 played my $49.50 got me very front row. I can email you the pics to prove it. Or take a look around the U2 website, you'll see photos of my son. Every U2 show I saw on the Vertigo tour was at least 2 hours long (120 minutes), average show being 2 hours and 10 minutes and the longest 2 hours and 20 minutes (140 minutes). Many Pearl Jam shows clock in at just over 2 hours. If you had many boots you'd know this. I'm more than glad that Pearl Jam pulls the occassional three hour show but it is far from their norm.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    Finally, someone please explain to me how Bono is self righteous. Everyone keeps saying that but nobody can articulate how that is true. Im dying to know. I have had the fortune to speak to Bono on a couple of occassions and he is perhaps one of the most humble and sincere people that I have met. Caring about the world you live in is not self righteous. So again, I throw down the gauntlet for someone to explain this to me.
    Someone? Anyone?