Options

Anyone else think Pearl Jam opening for U2 is lame?

Comments

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    homeratbat wrote:
    every u2 fan i know (and i know quite a bit!! im in their fan club also) LOVES pearl jam! dont assume things

You are right, I am a U2 fan as well.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    you beat me to it. u2 is the last band they should be opening for. it should be the other way around. the only u2 song i ever liked was sunday bloody sunday. u2 blows, this is just a flat out shame, and even more of an embarrasment than the rolling stones show.
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544
    inmyrvm wrote:
    you beat me to it. u2 is the last band they should be opening for. it should be the other way around. the only u2 song i ever liked was sunday bloody sunday. u2 blows, this is just a flat out shame, and even more of an embarrasment than the rolling stones show.

And the many, many millions of fans that enjoy U2 more than Pearl Jam will disagree with you.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544
    leadbedr wrote:
    Its not about being too cool to see u2. its about spending 1500-2000 g's to see pj play for 90 minutes at most.

And the extra fucking hour is worth it? It's about U2 and Pearl Jam. Not a 90 minute PJ set.
  • Options
    inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    And the many, many millions of fans that enjoy U2 more than Pearl Jam will disagree with you.
    let them, and vice versa. i give bono all the credit in the world for what he does. musically though, i think they're like everything else out there. always have and always will. i'm sure we'll all disagree with them. i'd hope so anyway.
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    just out of curiosity ... did you see ed on storytellers?

Anyway ... I think if PJ wants to open for bands they idolize, more power to 'em. I'm not a huge U2 fan. I have some, but not a lot, of their stuff. but they are fairly legendary.

I swear, John and George could come back from the dead, we could have a Beatles reunion ... and people would say, "Pearl Jam shouldn't open for them. They haven't had a decent album in 40 years!"

I mean, I know we're all PJ fans here, but get some perspective.

I totally agree with this post in all respects. Let's just view this as the pretty cool occurence that it is. U2 may not be the greatest band in the world in any respect, really, but they are still a legend ... Many of those songs are nostalgic for me. It should be a fun night for all involved.
  • Options
    We need our own damn show....in Hawaii.

mahalo
  • Options
    Gators76Gators76 Posts: 160
    Damn, if Ed and Boner starting ranting together during the show I would have to find a way to off myself. Between Storytellers and Boners egotistical godlike views of himself and life I would stab my eyes with plastic forks. I love Ed and all but.....
    Toledo 96, Cleveland 03, Pittsburgh 03, Vegas 06,
    San Diego 06.....Do I want some more? I said FUCK YEAH!!!!
  • Options
    erickvazdelerickvazdel Posts: 140
    U2 is a great band, this Vertigo tour is amazing, the new U2 album is preety good, they are maybe the most important band in the world right now (Album Sales, Sold Outs in 20 min, Tons of fans) .... so I dont see the problem.

Its not a lame.
  • Options
    erickvazdelerickvazdel Posts: 140
    U2 is a great band, this Vertigo tour is amazing, the new U2 album is preety good, they are maybe the most important band in the world right now (Album Sales, Sold Outs in 20 min, Tons of fans) .... so I dont see the problem.

We all know that lately U2 & PJ have very good relationship, eddie said a lot of times that he admires U2 ( hear the Toronto 9/2005 ), and U2 said last year in a Interview that one of the bands that they admire right now is Pearl Jam.

Its not about a 90 min setlist ..... Come on is U2 & Pearl Jam in the same night !

Its going to be a great show. (This is going to be FUN not like the Petty thing )

Its not a lame.
  • Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    Gators76 wrote:
    Damn, if Ed and Boner starting ranting together during the show I would have to find a way to off myself. Between Storytellers and Boners egotistical godlike views of himself and life I would stab my eyes with plastic forks. I love Ed and all but.....

I'll pay for the trip, the ticket and the plastic forks.
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    AbnerielAbneriel Posts: 109
    I can't stand U2 personally...not knocking anyone that likes them or the band themselves, but it's just not the kind of music I can get into...

I'd probably end up being one of the a-holes that walked out after PJ's set.
    www.myspace.com/abneriel
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Lame is a preetty good word to describe it.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    pjrvm wrote:
    I mean come on. U2 hasn't made a good record in about 15 years. Sure they're "legendary" probably more so than Tom Petty. But what is with all these has been bands asking PJ to open. Obviously from PJ's point of view it's an honor, but I couldn't bare watching PJ rock out for an hour and a half and then have to sit through Bono asking us all the save the world. U2 has some great songs, but there day is done as far as I'm concerned, and I think Bono's gone off the deep end a little bit with all his self-righteous bullshit.

no, you're lame. take off your blinders. did you watch storytellers with ed ranting about george bush between every song? yeah... BONO'S the only self-righteous one on that stage. ive seen U2 shows, they're about the same as pearl jam shows. there might be one or two side comments throughout about politics or fighting the good fight. but bono on stage is NOT the bono you see on tv and newspapers. he's one of the greatest front men in rock.

if you dont dig their music, fine dont go. ill gladly take that seat.
  • Options
    neartodeathneartodeath Posts: 167
    pj can do whatever they want. they have earned that respect from me.

u2 are all about greed. pearl jam aren't. that is the big difference as is see it.

the u2 show is not worth the $100+ price they charge, while pearl jam is worth WAY more than what they charge, as a headliner.

u2 have made over a 100million dollars on their last 2(maybe more) tours...you would think that u2 might finally want to show some respect to their fans and lower their ticket prices. then again maybe they don't care...
  • Options
    homeratbathomeratbat Posts: 219
    inmyrvm wrote:

well i dont think pj knew that you only liked 1 of their songs if so im sure they would have changed there plans all together! or maybe just maybe pearl jam likes u2 considering mike has always said he respected u2 and loved there music...mike was at the Irving Plaza U2 warm-up show back in 2000 and that pearl jam OPENED for U2 in the early 90s, not to mention that eddie appeared with u2 and bono with pearl jam last year!....get over it people this show is going to be legendary it just sucks its gonna cost so much to get to for a lot of people!
  • Options
    Gators76Gators76 Posts: 160

u2 are all about greed. pearl jam aren't. that is the big difference as is see it.

the u2 show is not worth the $100+ price they charge, while pearl jam is worth WAY more than what they charge, as a headliner.

u2 have made over a 100million dollars on their last 2(maybe more) tours...you would think that u2 might finally want to show some respect to their fans and lower their ticket prices. then again maybe they don't care...
    Good point
    Toledo 96, Cleveland 03, Pittsburgh 03, Vegas 06,
    San Diego 06.....Do I want some more? I said FUCK YEAH!!!!
  • Options
    blueeyedevilblueeyedevil Posts: 173

I have to agree as well. I own quite a few U2 CD's, but I feel that their last few albums have been boring "Adult Alternative" crap. The last 2 albums in particular seem to have been written to sound very much alike, and written as to not offend the average Wal-Mart shopper.
    Perhaps all of the high ticket prices are to pay for the "POP" tour the failed so horribly a few years back? :) Sorry to be so sarcastic, but Bono and his messiah complex have REALLY pissed me off in the last few years. It's funny, because I actually AGREE with alot of what the guy says, it's just that he's such an egomaniac in the way he goes about it. It all seems like a photo-op for Bono.
    On the other hand, a U2 and Pearl Jam show would be the ONLY way my wife would evr go to another PJ show with me. She's had enough of my obsessive compulsive behavior......
    Philly-4/28/03, Holmdel-7/14/03, Reading-10/1/04, Philly-10/3/05, Camden-5/27/06, Camden-5/28/05, Camden-6/19/08, Camden-6/20/08, MSG- 6/25/08
  • Options
    luckytwnluckytwn Posts: 36
    I am a 10C member since 1993. I've also seen U2 22 times starting in 1984, including 6 times last year. Not only is this a killer double bill, but people claiming U2 hasn't made a good album in 15 years have no clue as to what they are talking about. U2 remains the biggest band on the planet, they have sold more tickets and albums in 2005-2006 than PJ can ever dream of selling, which is why PJ is opening. Eddie and the guys understand the pecking order and they like playing with huge bands that have influenced them (anybody heard Army Reserve?). Don't get me wrong, Pearl Jam is amazing and the 5 shows I saw last week were incredible. The Avocado tour is one of the best tours I've ever seen and I've seen more than 400 shows over the past 20+ years. But I also include U2's Joshua Tree tour on that list and the Elevation tour as well.

The idea of PJ and U2 playing together on a double-bill is just mind blowing and kudos to both bands for doing it.

As far as the issue of ticket price, this is a U2 stadium show and a good chunk of the tickets are the GA floor seats, which cost around $50. So if you like a cheaper ticket option, they have it.
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    pjrvm wrote:
    Obviously from PJ's point of view it's an honor, but I couldn't bare watching PJ rock out for an hour and a half and then have to sit through Bono asking us all the save the world. U2 has some great songs, but there day is done as far as I'm concerned, and I think Bono's gone off the deep end a little bit with all his self-righteous bullshit.
    You do realize that Ed has made more than one political rant on stage. At least Bono wants to save the world. Last I checked Ed wanted us to vote for Kerry and hate Bush.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    homeratbathomeratbat Posts: 219
    surferdude wrote:
    You do realize that Ed has made more than one political rant on stage. At least Bono wants to save the world. Last I checked Ed wanted us to vote for Kerry and hate Bush.

then what your saying is both bono and eddie wanted to save the world?
  • Options
    vmfuryvmfury Posts: 1,079
    I absolutely think it's lame. Not because I hate U2 (I like them a lot), but because I'm selfish (like the rest of you) and want JUST Pearl Jam. In no way, shape, or form will this little "situation" deter me from attending the HI show. I can't wait! I'm going to remain optimistic and hope like hell PJ will play one night in HI on their own. Probably unlikely, but one must dream. :)
    Shut the fuck up, stupid.
    ~ Ice Queen
  • Options
    75costas75costas Posts: 10
    First of all forgive me if I'm not clear enough.
    As you can see I'm from Athens and I've been waiting to hear that PJ would come to Greece for over 15 years. Every single moment of my life can be expressed through their lyrics.
    So I don't mind even if they were playing together with Madonna!!!
    Just joking!!!
    In my opinion U2 have become something like celebrities but don't forget that the reason to watch a gig is Pearl Jam and only.
  • Options
    mad22mad22 Posts: 82
    pjrvm wrote:
    I mean come on. U2 hasn't made a good record in about 15 years. Sure they're "legendary" probably more so than Tom Petty. But what is with all these has been bands asking PJ to open. Obviously from PJ's point of view it's an honor, but I couldn't bare watching PJ rock out for an hour and a half and then have to sit through Bono asking us all the save the world. U2 has some great songs, but there day is done as far as I'm concerned, and I think Bono's gone off the deep end a little bit with all his self-righteous bullshit.

i'm with you my friend, i think it's ultra lame.

I agree %100.
    Egos are left at the door, elitism is non-existant and we are all joining together for a common goal: to raise funds and awareness while living the awesome life of a Pearl Jam Fan.

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org/
  • Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    let's be clear all these people saying U2 hasn't made a good record in 15 years are simply out of thier heads. It's been nine.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    The Camaros HoodThe Camaros Hood Boston, MA Posts: 440
    luckytwn wrote:
    I am a 10C member since 1993. I've also seen U2 22 times starting in 1984, including 6 times last year. Not only is this a killer double bill, but people claiming U2 hasn't made a good album in 15 years have no clue as to what they are talking about. U2 remains the biggest band on the planet, they have sold more tickets and albums in 2005-2006 than PJ can ever dream of selling, which is why PJ is opening. Eddie and the guys understand the pecking order and they like playing with huge bands that have influenced them (anybody heard Army Reserve?). Don't get me wrong, Pearl Jam is amazing and the 5 shows I saw last week were incredible. The Avocado tour is one of the best tours I've ever seen and I've seen more than 400 shows over the past 20+ years. But I also include U2's Joshua Tree tour on that list and the Elevation tour as well.

The idea of PJ and U2 playing together on a double-bill is just mind blowing and kudos to both bands for doing it.

As far as the issue of ticket price, this is a U2 stadium show and a good chunk of the tickets are the GA floor seats, which cost around $50. So if you like a cheaper ticket option, they have it.

I agree with you. Anyone who is complaining..please stay home. It will make getting tickets easier. And since you mentioned the $50 tickets, are there any left? I can't find any on Ticketmaster.
    Austin, TX - 9/16/95 ~ Charleston, SC - 10/5/96 ~ Dallas, TX - 7/5/98 ~ San Antonio, TX - 4/5/03 ~ Denver, CO - 7/2/06 ~ EV - LA #2 - 4/13/08 ~ Austin, TX - 10/4/09 ~ Los Angeles, CA #1 - 11/23/13 ~ Los Angeles, CA #2 - 11/24/13 ~ Seattle, WA - 12/6/13 ~ NYC #1 - 5/1/16 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 8/5/16 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 8/7/16 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 9/2/18 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 9/4/18 ~ Louisville, KY - 9/17/22 ~ Ft. Worth, TX #1 - 9/13/23 ~ Ft. Worth, TX #2 - 9/15/23 ~ Austin, Texas #1 - 9/18/23 ~ Austin, Texas #2 - 9/19/23
  • Options
    iwasthereiwasthere Posts: 511
    I didn't read through all the posts, I'm sure more people than not disaree that pj opening for u2 is lame. Lame is probably to strong of a word. I have nothing against U2, it's just that PJ is my favorite band. I would have definately went to Hawaii for PJ only. Not going for a shared bill.
    tacos
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    iwasthere wrote:
    I didn't read through all the posts, I'm sure more people than not disaree that pj opening for u2 is lame. Lame is probably to strong of a word. I have nothing against U2, it's just that PJ is my favorite band. I would have definately went to Hawaii for PJ only. Not going for a shared bill.

an opening slot beats not seeing them at all.
  • Options
    vmfuryvmfury Posts: 1,079
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    an opening slot beats not seeing them at all.

TRUE story. :)
    Shut the fuck up, stupid.
    ~ Ice Queen
  • Options
    luckytwnluckytwn Posts: 36
    I agree with you. Anyone who is complaining..please stay home. It will make getting tickets easier. And since you mentioned the $50 tickets, are there any left? I can't find any on Ticketmaster.

TM is currently sold out. The additional tickets that are returned due to the delay will go on sale Aug 5. There are plenty of tickets on the secondary market for prices that aren't that bad.