Options

Anyone else think Pearl Jam opening for U2 is lame?

Comments

• Options
    AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    man, i hate ranking albums. it would take me a few hours of thought to give you a really good answer. but to me, calling joshua tree "the best" is ridiculous when there are bands like REM, sonic youth, the pixies, peter gabriel, prince, the cure, etc etc producing material during that decade.

peter gabriel 2 and 3 are both better albums for example. ten best? eh. i don't have the time to devote to coming up with such a list.

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Options
    dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,285
    surferdude wrote:
    Please explain how anyone can possibly think that Pearl Jam is more versatile than U2.

U2 started as post-punk band - Boy,
    did a partial landscape album - The Unforgettable Fire,
    made the best record of the '80's - Joshua Tree,
    completely reinvented their sound for - Achtung Baby,
    pushed technology and dance beats to their rock n' roll limits - Zooropa and Pop,
    then came around back to basics for All That You Can't Leave Behind and How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb.

Pearl Jam's sound is no where near as versatile. Fuck I love Pearl Jam but I am at least aware of what they are a straight ahead rock band that has made one experimental album - No Code.
    nukeboot wrote:
    Stop making sense!
    What he said.

"did a partial landscape album - The Unforgettable Fire".....favorite U2 album. Favorite. Ever.

Did I mention that "The Unforgettable Fire" is my favorite U2 album ever?
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Options
    brianjdbrianjd Posts: 201
    dharma69 wrote:
    What he said.

"did a partial landscape album - The Unforgettable Fire".....favorite U2 album. Favorite. Ever.

Did I mention that "The Unforgettable Fire" is my favorite U2 album ever?

I dont question u2's success recording albums. I do think they hit a bump in the road with that zoo tv crap and popmart, etc, etc. I don't thiank anyone wants to remember that era. All and all I do agree that u2 has been more adept in the studio than Pearl Jam. I think PJ's last two albums, at a minimum, were serious underachievments. Their new album shows us that they still have it though. So the jury is still out. Pearl Jam is about ten years behind u2 as a band so it is too early to say what their legacy will be.

I think alot of the criticism with the present U2 era has to do with the live performance in which alot of us feel that Pearl Jam dominates.
    Irvine 1992, Las Vegas 1993, Mountain View 1994, San Diego 1995, Los Angeles 1996, Los Angeles 1998, Moutain View 1999, San Bernadino 2000, Los Angeles 2000, Irvine 2003, Irvine 2003, Moutain View 2003, Santa Barbara 2003, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006, Santa Barbara 2006
  • Options
    just clicked on this thread again and kinda laughed...at the title...

"Anyone else think Pearl Jam opening for U2 is lame?"

well....obviously Pearl Jam themselves do not think it is lame otherwise they would not be doing it. nuff said...i'll respect their decision as a band.
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    surferdude wrote:
    This is my take on going to Hawaii in December. I'm going to Hawaii for a break, seeing a concert or two is part of that break. The concert(s) are not the raison d'etre for going to Hawaii.

Don't you take a pre-Christmas get-away every year for a few days? So I'll fly to Hawaii for a week, $500 (from Seattle). Stay in a hostel, $30 a night ($210 total). Buy some food and beer ($300). Concert tickets for two nights ($100-$200). Rent a car for a few days ($300). Rent a surfboard $100. So for $1600 I have a week in Hawaii, two great concerts, a few days surfing, some rest, relaxation and a bit of partying before Christmas. Plus I'll hit up a tacky toursit store and do all my Christmas shopping in about 2 hours. Sounds pretty sensible and a good deal.
    I"m just quoting you because you have figures that I can use for a comparison. I would spend $1600 for a Pearl Jam concert. I would not spend $1600 for a U2 concert just because I don't know them as well. I think what I know of their work is excellent, though. As far as this looks to me it is a U2 concert, not a Pearl Jam concert. Pearl Jam is the opening band, and I do my best to spend my time elsewhere than see an opening band. Also, my figures would be higher because I'm East Coast travelling, and if I'm flying over the country to see a concert I'm going to live it up in a nice hotel ;) Of course no car or surfboard for me. My shoes were made for walking. I'm knitting all of my Christmas gifts :)
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    brianjd wrote:
    I do think they hit a bump in the road with that zoo tv crap and popmart, etc, etc. I don't thiank anyone wants to remember that era.

I'm with you on Pop Mart and Pop, but the ZooTV shows were great in support of Achtung Baby. I hit two of the "outdoor broadcasts" and they are in my top ten shows to this day. Zoo TV - Live from Australia comes out on DVD in September and mine is on pre-order.
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    brianjd wrote:
    I dont question u2's success recording albums. I do think they hit a bump in the road with that zoo tv crap and popmart, etc, etc. I don't thiank anyone wants to remember that era. All and all I do agree that u2 has been more adept in the studio than Pearl Jam. I think PJ's last two albums, at a minimum, were serious underachievments. Their new album shows us that they still have it though. So the jury is still out. Pearl Jam is about ten years behind u2 as a band so it is too early to say what their legacy will be.

I think alot of the criticism with the present U2 era has to do with the live performance in which alot of us feel that Pearl Jam dominates.
    I know someone who is a fan of these 2 bands.

He rags U2's ass on their concerts and setlist stagnation without mercy....yet U2 is one of his top 5 bands.

He hates Pearl Jam's Crazy Mary with a passion and a few other tunes, as well, will call Darth Vedder out on his political "crap"....yet PJ is his favorite band.

One band excels in the studio like no other; one band lives on the stage like no other. That's okay....no one band can do it all and do it all well. The point is they both excel.

How okay it is to be able find your own flaws with these bands, yet still love them? I think that's called having a brain and not being afraid to use it. I could not abide the PopMart nonsense. I cannot listen to Pop in one sitting; the album as a whole, is an undone mess. I can only hear it in pieces. I can also say the same for a PJ album or two.

The fact that these two bands exist in period of time when I can still get to enjoy them while they're still putting out quality is a gift. I'm not going to disrespect it or them. I just wish that they would have put this gig together while they were in California! Bring on the Bono/Vedder duet. Bring on The Edge/McCready guitar slinger-fest. Bring on the Clayton/Ament basslines and the Cameron/Mullen beats.

All good.

FaceSpace
  • Options
    nukeboot wrote:
    Good post. The only thing I would add is that the other act that can totally mix things up is....Uncle Neil.

On the Greendale tour he played the whole, slightly obscure album and then closed with a few hits. The fans were very patient and appreciative. I caught it at the Garden and didn't hear a single complaint from the people around me.

I actually caught a show on that tour ( I was covering it) and conceed that Neil did that but Neil Young solo wasnt setting any attendance records. Now Neil is out with Crosy Stills and Nash and they are getting 200+ a ticket.
    Im Rick James bitch!
  • Options
    brianjd wrote:
    Sorry. This guy is on crack and obviously totally biased. I have seen lots of truly great guitarists and The Edge would not make the top 25. I do agree Bono has to be considered a top five frontman but it is close. Roger Daltry, Robert Plant, Jim Morrisson, Mick Jagger and then maybe Bono. But Edge is a very basic guitar player. You are going to actually argue he is as good as Pete Townshend, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, jeff Beck, etc, etc, etc? Not even close. I think both Mike and Stone kick Edge's ass. We will just see. If they let PJ turn the volume up and kick it for at least an hour you will see for yourself.

Have you seen all these bands live? Im only 28 so I never saw Morrison ( I dont care for the Doors anyway) but I have seen all the others you mention live and Bono blows all of them off the stage hands down. Im not denying that they are all great (well...maybe not Morrison) but they all have a fraction of the stage presence that Bono has.
    Im Rick James bitch!
  • Options
    brianjd wrote:
    nukeboot wrote:

No one said they did not care. I simply don't think that Bono is the fucking Messiah like you all do. They care, but they don't care as much as you would like to think. I just think, after seeing them live, that they need to care a little bit more about the music and their fans rather than breaking records and making dough if they want respect.

These are the facts: Vertigo has already grossed 330 Million dollars breaking the Stones Voodoo Lounge Tour record and they expect haul in more dough when they complete at the end of the year.

I ain't knocking it if that is what you are about. But U2 will have you believe they are all about the people. I would like to know how much of that haul is going to charity?

That's all. It's not hate just serious skepticism.

Listen, if you live in the world you are a capitalist. In essence everyone wants to have as much money as possible. Many people may not live to make money but surely not many would turn down money thrown at them just so they can "keep it real".

The hard reality is that 10-15 years ago bands did charge a lot less. You know what happened they? They woke up. At the dawn of the internet age they looked around and saw scalpers everywhere making double and triple face value on their tickets and then saw all their fans stealing their music off the internet. Rightfully so, bands starting saying "why should everyone be making more money off our music than us". Why should we sell our tickets for, what is obviously, under market value and watch our record sales go to pieces? So now bands charge what the market will bear. Since U2 still sells out in seconds, a rational person would still say they are undercharging. Their average ticket price is only $100 (which if you dont have that then you have bigger problems then concerts).

U2 turned down $25million to let Where the Streets Have No Name be used in a car ad. They really dont whore themselves out. However, they would basically be giving away money if they charged $40 for every ticket (which wouldnt even cover the cost to put the show on the road) because someone will be making $200-$300 off the ticket. Id rather it be U2 then Sully the toothless scalper.

Pearl Jam is a different beast. Pearl Jam couldnt charge what U2 charges. Nobody would pay it. Sure, hardcore fans might pay $150 for close floor seats but after that? I think Pearl Jam is right about at equilibrium with market value as far keeping all the seats in the house full with their one tiered pricing system.
    Im Rick James bitch!
  • Options
    this is just such a stupid thread...

at least the part about U2 being "greedy money loving bastards" or whatever

Let's see: U2 announces tour dates and they all sell out in seconds making them lots and lots of money....hmmm, is that their fault??? sounds like the demand is there, they give their fans what they want, a huge tour along with a new album every few years. how does this make them greedy? they are not ripping anyone off?

just stupid

if you don't like U2's music fine...don't listen to them or attend this show. period.
  • Options
    I actually caught a show on that tour ( I was covering it) and conceed that Neil did that but Neil Young solo wasnt setting any attendance records. Now Neil is out with Crosy Stills and Nash and they are getting 200+ a ticket.

It's sad, isn't it? I caught CSNY at the Garden last time around and it was a snoozefest. The only energy on stage was when Neil got some of the spotlight. He remains youthful and relevant and CSN, well, doesn't.
  • Options
    neartodeathneartodeath Posts: 167
    nukeboot wrote:
    It's sad, isn't it? I caught CSNY at the Garden last time around and it was a snoozefest. The only energy on stage was when Neil got some of the spotlight. He remains youthful and relevant and CSN, well, doesn't.

living with war is a great cd. that whole new csny tour is built around that cd.

if you don't love that cd, well then...
  • Options
    Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,684
    pjrvm wrote:
    I mean come on. U2 hasn't made a good record in about 15 years.

You clearly haven't heard a single song from U2 in the last 15 years.
    pjrvm wrote:
    Sure they're "legendary" probably more so than Tom Petty.

Compared to U2, Tom Petty is a no-talent ass clown. You may not prefer U2's style of music but they're obviously very talented and Bono is a fantastic lyricist. If you disagree then you haven't paid one ounce of attention to their music or Bono's lyrics. His writing style is quite similar to Ed's.
    pjrvm wrote:
    But what is with all these has been bands asking PJ to open. Obviously from PJ's point of view it's an honor

Anyone with even the slightest musical talent/knowledge would be honored to open for U2. It's clear that Pearl Jam recognizes the talent and great things U2 has done for both the musical world and humanity in general. Pearl Jam would not open for someone they didn't respect and view as extremely talented.
    pjrvm wrote:
    but I couldn't bare watching PJ rock out for an hour and a half and then have to sit through Bono asking us all the save the world.

That one's simple...don't go to the show. There will be another ticket available to someone with better taste and appreciation for insanely good music.
    pjrvm wrote:
    U2 has some great songs, but there day is done as far as I'm concerned

There's the open-mindedness that we should all embrace....sounds like you gave up on them a while ago and aren't listening to their music. The world goes on but you're left without the delicious tastes that U2 can still bring to the dinner table....night in and night out.
    pjrvm wrote:
    and I think Bono's gone off the deep end a little bit with all his self-righteous bullshit.

Self-righteous? Bono has done more to make the world a better place than anyone on this board could even dream of doing. You call him self-righteous because he feels a deep social responsibility to use his celebrity in an extremely positive way? Please look up self-righteous in the dictionary before you go throwing it around in an ignorant thread.

Pearl Jam / U2 would be a dream show for many people, myself included. I cannot for the life of me understand the U2 hating that's been going on here. They're great people who do a lot for humanity. Their music is as relevant as it's ever been and they're still selling out damn near every stadium they play. Year after year after year. It's not like we're talking about fucking Nickelback or something. U2 has tenure and are rock Gods, no one can argue that.
  • Options
    living with war is a great cd. that whole new csny tour is built around that cd.

if you don't love that cd, well then...

Wow. That's good to hear. I'm surprised they're doing that after what they did last time. They're smart to do it since it is great stuff.
  • Options
    I bet you alot of these folks would LOVE sternchat.com

hahahahahahha... is that the sound of sarcasm I hear? I hope so, cuz I don't know if they can handle it ;)
    "If you hate something, don't you do it, too..."
  • Options
    When U2 cancelled their tour in March due to family reasons, they could have just as easily finished the tour. For them to announce that they have rescheduled, I thought that was pretty good. Not many bands would have done that, especially for a show that U2 puts on. It has to be an expensive proposition doing this halfway around the world. As far as what they are charging, tickets here in Australia were as low as $99 for the cheap seats, which is what PJ are as well for all their seats.

If a band is going to put on a "show" like the Stones and U2 do, I expect to pay a bit more. They may gross $300 million, but what do they take home? Ok probably a lot, but that's life. I think I'm under paid in my job, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. I could have been a musician or actor if I put forth the effort like those people do. But you must admit, they do have a wee bit of talent to back it up, or we'd all be doing it!

As far as it's crap PJ are opening for U2, who cares???? They are together in the same venue, you get to see 2 awesome bands in one night, and the tickets will be well worth it. I spent $330 for my single GA ticket, and I have to fly to Hawaii from Australia, pay for 4 nights in a hotel, plus other various expenses, and I am happy to do it because I love music, and I love PJ & U2! I feel that they are well worth the money.....

Let's not worry about who is better or who should open for who, let's just go, support them, meet some new people and have a GREAT time, PJ & U2 fan alike! I can't wait to see you all at the Aloha Stadium! Maybe we could get the Foo Fighters to come, and maybe The Red Hot Chili Peppers will detour for it as well!

Peace out, y'all!!
    Edmonton 12/93
    Wellington 98
    Melbourne 2003
    Melbourne shows 1 & 3 2006
    Hawaii 2006
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch 2009
    Manchester 1 & 2 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2012
    Upcoming: Vancouver/Calgary/Seattle Dec 2013
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    this thread is lame

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,160
    pjrvm wrote:
    I mean come on. U2 hasn't made a good record in about 15 years.

What hole have you been living in for 15 years? Let's see, there was a little album called "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" that cleaned up at the Grammys this year. Great, maybe not. But still, a very good record apparently.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    erickvazdelerickvazdel Posts: 140
    Im really bored about the "I hate u2 posts".

U2 is a great fucking band, they are a legend in the modern music, period.
  • Options
    nukeboot wrote:
    I'm with you on Pop Mart and Pop, but the ZooTV shows were great in support of Achtung Baby. I hit two of the "outdoor broadcasts" and they are in my top ten shows to this day. Zoo TV - Live from Australia comes out on DVD in September and mine is on pre-order.

Since I did not see the tour and you did ill take your word on it.
    Irvine 1992, Las Vegas 1993, Mountain View 1994, San Diego 1995, Los Angeles 1996, Los Angeles 1998, Moutain View 1999, San Bernadino 2000, Los Angeles 2000, Irvine 2003, Irvine 2003, Moutain View 2003, Santa Barbara 2003, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006, Santa Barbara 2006
  • Options
    dharma69 wrote:
    I know someone who is a fan of these 2 bands.

He rags U2's ass on their concerts and setlist stagnation without mercy....yet U2 is one of his top 5 bands.

He hates Pearl Jam's Crazy Mary with a passion and a few other tunes, as well, will call Darth Vedder out on his political "crap"....yet PJ is his favorite band.

One band excels in the studio like no other; one band lives on the stage like no other. That's okay....no one band can do it all and do it all well. The point is they both excel.

How okay it is to be able find your own flaws with these bands, yet still love them? I think that's called having a brain and not being afraid to use it. I could not abide the PopMart nonsense. I cannot listen to Pop in one sitting; the album as a whole, is an undone mess. I can only hear it in pieces. I can also say the same for a PJ album or two.

The fact that these two bands exist in period of time when I can still get to enjoy them while they're still putting out quality is a gift. I'm not going to disrespect it or them. I just wish that they would have put this gig together while they were in California! Bring on the Bono/Vedder duet. Bring on The Edge/McCready guitar slinger-fest. Bring on the Clayton/Ament basslines and the Cameron/Mullen beats.

All good.

Id book my flight (which I am still contemplating). But I just think if you are not a huge U2 fan this may not be the show for you. It is quite an expensive undertaking if you don't live in Hawaii. For those of you already booking flights...don't. Pearl Jam has to play a solo show on the islands. How bummed would you be if you came in on the 7th and left on the 10th and Pearl Jam adds a December 11th show of their own...

I would be surprised if we see Mike or Stone on stage with u2. I would expect Bono to come out and sing a duet with PJ and Ed to do one with U2. That would be it. But who knows. I agree with this though, these are two great bands sharing the same stage. It is just too bad it is a u2 show and not a true dual billing giving each band equal time. however, if you have the means it could be amazing.
  • Options
    When U2 cancelled their tour in March due to family reasons, they could have just as easily finished the tour. For them to announce that they have rescheduled, I thought that was pretty good. Not many bands would have done that, especially for a show that U2 puts on. It has to be an expensive proposition doing this halfway around the world. As far as what they are charging, tickets here in Australia were as low as $99 for the cheap seats, which is what PJ are as well for all their seats.

If a band is going to put on a "show" like the Stones and U2 do, I expect to pay a bit more. They may gross $300 million, but what do they take home? Ok probably a lot, but that's life. I think I'm under paid in my job, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. I could have been a musician or actor if I put forth the effort like those people do. But you must admit, they do have a wee bit of talent to back it up, or we'd all be doing it!

As far as it's crap PJ are opening for U2, who cares???? They are together in the same venue, you get to see 2 awesome bands in one night, and the tickets will be well worth it. I spent $330 for my single GA ticket, and I have to fly to Hawaii from Australia, pay for 4 nights in a hotel, plus other various expenses, and I am happy to do it because I love music, and I love PJ & U2! I feel that they are well worth the money.....

Let's not worry about who is better or who should open for who, let's just go, support them, meet some new people and have a GREAT time, PJ & U2 fan alike! I can't wait to see you all at the Aloha Stadium! Maybe we could get the Foo Fighters to come, and maybe The Red Hot Chili Peppers will detour for it as well!

Peace out, y'all!!

Based on what they have done so far this summer, there doesn't appear to be a festival the Chili Peppers won't turn down this year.
  • Options
    Have you seen all these bands live? Im only 28 so I never saw Morrison ( I dont care for the Doors anyway) but I have seen all the others you mention live and Bono blows all of them off the stage hands down. Im not denying that they are all great (well...maybe not Morrison) but they all have a fraction of the stage presence that Bono has.

Well I am older than you and have seen many of them live. I am not old enough to have seen Morrison live but have watched as much Video of him as there is out there. I am not talking about 60 year old Roger Daltry's, Robert Plant, and Mick Jaggers. I am talking about when each was in his respective prime. They were amazing. I saw Mick Jagger for the first time just last year expecting nothing and I gotta tell you the guy was something else. And I was never a Stones fan.

As for the guitarists, last time I checked Townshend and Clapton are still alive and still playing. Buy a ticket dude. You might learn something.
  • Options
    brianjd wrote:
    Well I am older than you and have seen many of them live. I am not old enough to have seen Morrison live but have watched as much Video of him as there is out there. I am not talking about 60 year old Roger Daltry's, Robert Plant, and Mick Jaggers. I am talking about when each was in his respective prime. They were amazing. I saw Mick Jagger for the first time just last year expecting nothing and I gotta tell you the guy was something else. And I was never a Stones fan.

As for the guitarists, last time I checked Townshend and Clapton are still alive and still playing. Buy a ticket dude. You might learn something.

Robert Plant, Jim Morrison and Roger Daltry a FRACTION of Bono? Dude, your clearly under the influence of some kind of U2 voodoo medicine.
  • Options
    StrykerStryker Upstate, NY Posts: 585
    We all have different tastes in music. I think PJ opening for U2 kicks ass. On the other hand, I thought PJ playing with Petty was pretty lame. Thats just my opinion. I don't think there is a band in the world that if PJ opened for that all the fans would be happy.
  • Options
    brianjd wrote:
    Id book my flight (which I am still contemplating). But I just think if you are not a huge U2 fan this may not be the show for you. It is quite an expensive undertaking if you don't live in Hawaii. For those of you already booking flights...don't. Pearl Jam has to play a solo show on the islands. How bummed would you be if you came in on the 7th and left on the 10th and Pearl Jam adds a December 11th show of their own...

I would be surprised if we see Mike or Stone on stage with u2. I would expect Bono to come out and sing a duet with PJ and Ed to do one with U2. That would be it. But who knows. I agree with this though, these are two great bands sharing the same stage. It is just too bad it is a u2 show and not a true dual billing giving each band equal time. however, if you have the means it could be amazing.
    Now see....there you go making sense....stop it....please....

You make a point that some, in the heat of the moment, just might be overlooking: this is a U2 concert. A re-scheduled show where U2 IS the primary focus. Pearl Jam is (graciously) just along for the ride....a combo that I find mighty appealing.

But if it's the Pearl Jam experience that you're looking for then this may not be the gig for you. You will be disappointed, have spent a ton of money and then have no one to blame but yourself. Instead, hold out for a full on PJ show where you can get your full joy.

*bloody hell why didn't they put this gig together while they were in California???*

Sorry. Moving on....

FaceSpace
  • Options
    only 31 seconds of video but i do admit it looks anything but lame.......

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=207355&goto=newpost
  • Options
  • Options