Options

Anyone else think Pearl Jam opening for U2 is lame?

Comments

• Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    bobasfeet wrote:
    "No one puts PJ in a corner!!"

Damn...Wrong Swayze.
    "Pain don't hurt."
  • Options
    luckytwnluckytwn Posts: 36
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    an opening slot beats not seeing them at all.

Are we sure that Pearl Jam is not also going to do a show or two in Hawaii on their own?

Since the U2 tix are already long sold, it seems that PJ being added to the bill is a bonus for the final night of U2's tour and obviously not to help sell tix. As PJ is also ending their tour, it seems like they would do at least one show of their own, rather than end it with an opening slot to an already sold out show, to give their fans in Hawaii a chance to see the band.
  • Options
    offwegooffwego Posts: 27
    yes
  • Options
    just out of curiosity ... did you see ed on storytellers?

Anyway ... I think if PJ wants to open for bands they idolize, more power to 'em. I'm not a huge U2 fan. I have some, but not a lot, of their stuff. but they are fairly legendary.

I swear, John and George could come back from the dead, we could have a Beatles reunion ... and people would say, "Pearl Jam shouldn't open for them. They haven't had a decent album in 40 years!"
    Thank you for that.
    I mean, I know we're all PJ fans here, but get some perspective.
    And a life.
    PJRVM - Tell the guy with gun to your head that you can't go to the show.
  • Options
    where to begin............

First of all, it's U2's show. It always was and always will be. They invited PJ to open to which the band accepted. Everyone here is complaining about U2 like it's a burden that they are playing their own show

Second, Pearl Jam will be having their own shows out there. Trust me

Third, U2 has always made an effort to have up and coming bands open for them. This is a one time thing. On their most recent tour they have Kings of Leon, The Arcade Fire, Dashboard Confessional, The Killers, and even went as far as to bring Kanye West out.

Fourth, if you say U2 hasnt made a good record in 15 years you are an idiot-matter of fact. Most likely if you are making this comment you havent even listened to anything since Joshua Tree. You probably hear part of a song on the radio and base your opinion on that. Its kind of like what most people do with Pearl Jam. The truth is that U2, in 25+ years, has never made a bad album. Pop being their biggest commercial disappointment is still a great album.

Five, If you think U2 just sucks as a band then, again, you are an idiot. They are the most innovative band of our time. They are the only band in rock history to continually make relevant albums for 25+ years. Furthermore, ask any band member of any band in the rock n roll hall of fame to name the top five greatest guitarists and/or frontmen and I guarantee you every single one will have The Edge and Bono on their respective lists. Anyone who knows anything about music cant deny this.

Six, I would hardly call Bono self righteous because he cares about the world and people living in other countries that are saddled in bad debt and dying by the millions because the cant afford vacinies that cost pennies. Yes, he is just so full of himself because hes not like most of us who only care about what is going on in our backyard. Ignorance is bliss.

Seven, Pearl Jam is free to do whatever they want. If they want to open a show for their friends then they will. Everyone has this sense of entitlement that Pearl Jam most accomodate everyone. If you dont want to go, dont go. I am so glad the band doesnt really check this board. If I was them and read the posts here I would probably just call it quits.
    Im Rick James bitch!
  • Options
    If I was them and read the posts here I would probably just call it quits.
    Seriously. I realize it's a small minority, but the amount of complaints that are generated by "fans" of PJ would make me just want to pack it in if I were in the band.
  • Options
    UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    This is just fuckin stupid, it will be a fantastic night and it works for both bands!!! quit ya moaning :rolleyes:
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
  • Options
    blueeyedevilblueeyedevil Posts: 173
    where to begin............

First of all, it's U2's show. It always was and always will be. They invited PJ to open to which the band accepted. Everyone here is complaining about U2 like it's a burden that they are playing their own show

Second, Pearl Jam will be having their own shows out there. Trust me

Third, U2 has always made an effort to have up and coming bands open for them. This is a one time thing. On their most recent tour they have Kings of Leon, The Arcade Fire, Dashboard Confessional, The Killers, and even went as far as to bring Kanye West out.

Fourth, if you say U2 hasnt made a good record in 15 years you are an idiot-matter of fact. Most likely if you are making this comment you havent even listened to anything since Joshua Tree. You probably hear part of a song on the radio and base your opinion on that. Its kind of like what most people do with Pearl Jam. The truth is that U2, in 25+ years, has never made a bad album. Pop being their biggest commercial disappointment is still a great album.

Five, If you think U2 just sucks as a band then, again, you are an idiot. They are the most innovative band of our time. They are the only band in rock history to continually make relevant albums for 25+ years. Furthermore, ask any band member of any band in the rock n roll hall of fame to name the top five greatest guitarists and/or frontmen and I guarantee you every single one will have The Edge and Bono on their respective lists. Anyone who knows anything about music cant deny this.

Six, I would hardly call Bono self righteous because he cares about the world and people living in other countries that are saddled in bad debt and dying by the millions because the cant afford vacinies that cost pennies. Yes, he is just so full of himself because hes not like most of us who only care about what is going on in our backyard. Ignorance is bliss.

Seven, Pearl Jam is free to do whatever they want. If they want to open a show for their friends then they will. Everyone has this sense of entitlement that Pearl Jam most accomodate everyone. If you dont want to go, dont go. I am so glad the band doesnt really check this board. If I was them and read the posts here I would probably just call it quits.
    Hey man, not to flame on ya', but reasons 5 and six HAVE to be the dumbest fuckin' things I've read in a LOOOOOOONG time. MOST people would not put Bono and the Edge in the top five list of anything. Nothing against you, Bono, or the Edge, but Bono is a "good" singer at best, and The Edge is a creative guy, but wouldn't fall into most people's top 10. These guys have a very creative and original band that are in their own league amongst many of their peers, and even if people on this board don't like them, they should at least give them credit there.
    Also, there are a number of acts that have managed to remain relevant over a long career. The fact that you seem to be a big U2 fan might cloud your vision a bit, but do some research and you will find a number of artists who have held up longer and who I am sure were an inspiration to U2.
    Remember, if you are going to come at people because you question their opinions, you may want to seperate opinions from fact in your own post. My opinion, as somebody who owns everthing U2 has done since "Boy" is that they have been slipping since Zooropa, and that while they are still a talented band, they are trying to please the critics to the point that there albums are now blander than white bread. It is also, my opinion that Bono wanting to make the world a better place gives him no right to be self-righteous. Many people have spent their lives trying to save the planet without being ego-maniacal.
    If you are going to the show, I hope you enjoy it my friend!
    Philly-4/28/03, Holmdel-7/14/03, Reading-10/1/04, Philly-10/3/05, Camden-5/27/06, Camden-5/28/05, Camden-6/19/08, Camden-6/20/08, MSG- 6/25/08
  • Options
    YieldInHidingYieldInHiding Posts: 1,841
    I'm just jealous I can't go. :)
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • Options
    DopeyBoyDopeyBoy Posts: 170
    It's sad...if I had the chance to see this show, I probably wouldn't even bother (which is the first time I have ever said this about a PJ show!)
    Well, if I somehow got tix, I would go and then just leave after PJ...wouldn't waste my time with U2.
    I hate pop music, and U2 is so very very pop. Maybe they were a bit rock in the beginning, but now they're just sad. Its just my opinion though, so I could care less if anyone disagrees...the music is generic and boring poppy garbage, and Bono is a huge poser. But hey, people like them, so good on them.

Peace
    :-p
    "Six million dollars we turned down, to prevent our song to be sung by a cock" E.V. - San Diego, June 5, 2003
  • Options
    AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    JPinks wrote:
    ...but PJ can do whatever the hell they want. I think it undermines thier position in the rock world, though. They shouldn't "open" for anyone, not anymore. They can co-headline if they feel the need to play with thier idols. But opening makes them look like (for lack of a better word) amatuers (seriously, I know there's a better word). It's not like the people at a U2 concert haven't heard of PJ yet, and if they haven't bought an album by now, I don't think they'll start. I'm sure half the U2 fans there will be bummed that they have to sit through Pearl Jam.

I won't be going but I can't agree with this. This doesn't undermine them in any way. Opening certainly didn't undermine them with the Petty gigs.

I'm not crazy about U2, but PJ loves them and so do millions more and people will have a great time. If this were local I would go, but it's too expensive a trip for a 60 minute set.

I hate all this U2 attacking crap though. If you don't like them fine, but I don't want to read about *it* or peoples' defenses. It's pretty ugly.

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Options
    beachdwellerbeachdweller Posts: 1,532
    pjrvm wrote:
    I mean come on. U2 hasn't made a good record in about 15 years. Sure they're "legendary" probably more so than Tom Petty. But what is with all these has been bands asking PJ to open. Obviously from PJ's point of view it's an honor, but I couldn't bare watching PJ rock out for an hour and a half and then have to sit through Bono asking us all the save the world. U2 has some great songs, but there day is done as far as I'm concerned, and I think Bono's gone off the deep end a little bit with all his self-righteous bullshit.

not at all, I see you live in a tunnel and don't want to accept anything outside of it, and that's fine, but the reality is that U2 is far more popular than Pearl Jam so they aren't past their time, Bono trying to save the world is never a bad thing, why would that be bad? I don't get it. Pearl Jam opening for them makes a lot of sense, they are friends and they will have a great time, the band will enjoy themselves, the band respects U2, so why is that bad?

none of us have to like it, but Pearl Jam enjoying themselves shouldn't be seen as a negative thing, us fans need to quick being so negative.

Besides, the U2 fans will whine far worse and probably are right now on their board.
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
  • Options
    _Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
    I think PJ opening for U2 is great! I just wish the tickets weren't sold out already.
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • Options
    kramerica4kramerica4 Posts: 282
    i am a big u2 fan since many years and although i don't like their new album that much they made a lot of timeless songs during the years.
    so it's the two best bands in the world playing together, let's be thankful for this.
    these are two bands with fantastic fans, an awesome catalogue and good political points. so if you don't want to see them it's ok, but don't blame pearl jam for playing with this outstanding band from ireland.
    nobody is forced to go there, but i certainly would if i had the money.
  • Options
    luckytwnluckytwn Posts: 36
    DopeyBoy wrote:
    Well, if I somehow got tix, I would go and then just leave after PJ...wouldn't waste my time with U2

You have the most appropriate screenname of all time, my friend. Because you truly are a dope.

Any person who would walk out before seeing U2, one of the most acclaimed live acts in the history of rock and roll, is a) dumb and b) not a serious fan of live music. Nobody says you have to love them but not to experience them and see why they have the rep that they do is just plain idiotic.
  • Options
    DopeyBoy wrote:
    It's sad...if I had the chance to see this show, I probably wouldn't even bother (which is the first time I have ever said this about a PJ show!)
    Well, if I somehow got tix, I would go and then just leave after PJ...wouldn't waste my time with U2.
    I hate pop music, and U2 is so very very pop. Maybe they were a bit rock in the beginning, but now they're just sad. Its just my opinion though, so I could care less if anyone disagrees...the music is generic and boring poppy garbage, and Bono is a huge poser. But hey, people like them, so good on them.

Peace
    :-p
    Remember kids, Pearl Jam is opening for U2, not Coldplay.
  • Options
    sbudlongsbudlong Posts: 8
    lol. I can understand your POV. I, for one, don't think it's lame at all. I saw U2 several times last year and they can still jam. I mean, U2 is still a great group to watch and to be able to see BOTH at one show... that's a treat! (for me at least).

i agree with ya, its totally a treat to see 2 great bands in one night. Im gonna be a lil bummed that it wont be a full PJ set but i just saw them 5 times on this tour, and right now im still hungry for Pearl Jam. I saw U2 last year twice and they put on a good show. Nothing like Pearl Jam, Pearl jam is the best show ive seen, but i saw Bono come out on stage with Eddie last year in Toronto and he was rocking the free world. So i know it will be an awesome show and my girlfriend and i are looking forward to it.
  • Options
    inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    luckytwn wrote:
    You have the most appropriate screenname of all time, my friend. Because you truly are a dope.

Any person who would walk out before seeing U2, one of the most acclaimed live acts in the history of rock and roll, is a) dumb and b) not a serious fan of live music. Nobody says you have to love them but not to experience them and see why they have the rep that they do is just plain idiotic.
    if you don't like a band then why stick around?
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,450
    inmyrvm wrote:
    if you don't like a band then why stick around?

Perhaps you may have a different feeling for a band once you see them live.

I could think of worse things then seeing an anthem-like rock band outside in Hawaii......people make it seem as they are walking on hot coals, where, in reality, they are just sitting watching a band.

Very sad that people rob themselves of a possible good experience just because the go into a situation with a predetermined bad attitude.
  • Options
    homeratbat wrote:
    then what your saying is both bono and eddie wanted to save the world?

LOL!

Ed & Bono have done more for the world than my poor ass could ever afford to do. I don't really care how self-righteous they are. If they get on ones nerves then turn off the TV or don't go to the shows.

By the way, I've never been able to get U2 tickets without being willing to put my house up for collateral (which I refused to do). Thank goodness PJ attempts to make a way for their fans to get tix!! Much respect to them!
    I was bitten, must have been the devil.....

06 Leg I~ Continental II
    07 Lollapalooza
    08 Tampa
    08 EV DC I
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    By the way, I've never been able to get U2 tickets without being willing to put my house up for collateral (which I refused to do). Thank goodness PJ attempts to make a way for their fans to get tix!! Much respect to them!
    Sad to hear you couldn't afford the $49.50 it cost me to see U2 last tour. Hopefully you've been able to find the $60 it takes to see Pearl Jam this tour.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    iwasthereiwasthere Posts: 511
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    an opening slot beats not seeing them at all.

yes, but I have been to 10 shows on this tour. For those living in Hawaii however, this is true. Like somebody else said, maybe they will add 1 or 2 shows of there own while in Hawaii.
    tacos
  • Options
    PJ playing with / opening for U2 is probably more about PJ enjoying it for the experience. I'm guessing they're fans. And so that's all that matters, right?

I'm not sure PJ would sign up for it if they thought it was lame...unless they just wanted a free trip to Hawaii.
    "A compliment for us, is a compliment for you."
    Vancouver '05, Denver I/II '06, Gorge I/II '06, MSG I/II '08, VH1 Rock Honors '08, Seattle I/II '09, Vancouver '11
    EV: Portland '11, Seattle Benaroya I/II '11
  • Options
    I saw the 1996 pro bowl in Aloha Stadium and it seats about 55,000 for football. So personally I think this is a great opportunity for anybody to be there to see 2 acts of this quality, plus the almost certain possiblity of the 2 bands being out on the stage at the same time. Sure it's not going to be a true to form PJ or U2 show and yes it's a big venue where sound quality may not be great. However it's the specialty of the event that can make it unforgettable for the lucky.
    Raleigh '03; Hartford '08; Mansfield II '08; Buffalo '10; Hartford '10;
    East Troy I '11; East Troy II '11; DeLuna Fest '12; Wrigley '13; Buffalo '13;
    Toronto II '16; Wrigley I '16; Wrigley II '16; Wrigley I '18; Wrigley II '18;
    Asbury Park '21; MSG '22; Camden '22
  • Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    where to begin....Furthermore, ask any band member of any band in the rock n roll hall of fame to name the top five greatest guitarists and/or frontmen and I guarantee you every single one will have The Edge and Bono on their respective lists. Anyone who knows anything about music cant deny this.

I'm a huge U2 fan and I'm with you on most of your post, but...

Bono certainly would be near the top of the list for frontmen. Great voice and works an audience like nobody else. But I don't think the Edge is even in the top 10 (or 20) guitarists. He plays with a unique style, does some really cool fills and busts out a strong lead every so often. I think even he would admit though that he's not a guitar hero. I actually think that Adam is the stronger player. He really drives their music and is technically top notch.

Just my opinion.
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i think it's lame.
  • Options
    pj can do whatever they want. they have earned that respect from me.

u2 are all about greed. pearl jam aren't. that is the big difference as is see it.

the u2 show is not worth the $100+ price they charge, while pearl jam is worth WAY more than what they charge, as a headliner.

u2 have made over a 100million dollars on their last 2(maybe more) tours...you would think that u2 might finally want to show some respect to their fans and lower their ticket prices. then again maybe they don't care...

Apparently you haven't been to a U2 concert. When U2 puts on a show, they put on a SHOW... lighting, screens, effects and all. How do you think they pay for all of that? To say U2 don't show respect or care for their fans is unfair. I don't know about you, but I think that $49.50 for a floor ticket to a U2 show is a great bargain for the U2 fan. If you can't get a ticket at that cost, then you pay for the luxury of watching their "show" from a seat, instead of standing for a couple of hours... and believe me, people will still pay the high price to see U2. All shows that I attended were sold out.... same with Pearl Jam.

The difference between U2 and PJ, however, is that PJ don't care about the "show" side. It's not part of their repertoire. The most they have is what.. the mirror ball? And nixing that side of a concert is one sure way of keeping ticket costs down.

Two awesome bands, two different styles of entertaining their fans,... nothing more, nothing less.... and both deserving respect for what they have done to help society.
    "If you hate something, don't you do it, too..."
  • Options
    erickvazdelerickvazdel Posts: 140
    Apparently you haven't been to a U2 concert. When U2 puts on a show, they put on a SHOW... lighting, screens, effects and all. How do you think they pay for all of that? To say U2 don't show respect or care for their fans is unfair. I don't know about you, but I think that $49.50 for a floor ticket to a U2 show is a great bargain for the U2 fan. If you can't get a ticket at that cost, then you pay for the luxury of watching their "show" from a seat, instead of standing for a couple of hours... and believe me, people will still pay the high price to see U2. All shows that I attended were sold out.... same with Pearl Jam.

The difference between U2 and PJ, however, is that PJ don't care about the "show" side. It's not part of their repertoire. The most they have is what.. the mirror ball? And nixing that side of a concert is one sure way of keeping ticket costs down.

Two awesome bands, two different styles of entertaining their fans,... nothing more, nothing less.... and both deserving respect for what they have done to help society.

Totally agree
  • Options
    fans tend towards self-righteousness before remembering that U2 belongs to U2 and Pearl Jam belongs to Pearl Jam. They have the right to play, sing and compose whatever the heck they want and if people like it that is something else.
    Art is, in my opinion, not for the consumer, but for the expression.

also,
    sometimes a band (these days) becomes a political entitiy. This is the honorable attempt at using "fame" to influence people in this world to get off their lazy, gluttonous, apathetic atrophies and do something, Ask one's self what one does before attacking those that try to do something in the best way they know how. For the love of god, something that inspires people is sacred, holy, and should not be called down in any event

also
    UR ROCKS - they could have come out with "Mysterious ways" only, and I would still love their spirit
    I believe in the discipline of silence and could talk for hours about it. GBShaw
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I'm not a big U2 fan or a fan at all but I think its cool they have respect from the guysIts good they are playing at Hawaii right who cares how or with who right... Kings of leon are playing 2 right?
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08