Why people feel so alone?

Comments

• whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527

My mum to me today: "You have no friends, nobody loves you".
    Ouch! It hurts because it is true.
    She always brings my no friends thing up but today she was poisonous as we were arguing.

What in the fuck? Why would your mother say something so incredibly hurtful?

Not all mothers are kind. I know this from experience.
  • NamiNami Posts: 5,995

She always brings my no friends thing up but today she was poisonous as we were arguing.

This is true. not all moms are kind.

The day i lost my job my my wife called her mother for support, she responded why you calling her to bring us down with your shit. she then said i hope you dont think your moving back in with us till you get your feet back on the ground. Then continued to call my bro in law and complain. My mother in law is an alcoholic and i realize it was the booze..maybe some true feelings there... but that shit hurt us both. All the stories she told me finally hit home.... truly sad for a child (my Wife) to go through that. Coming from a loving family myself, it still stings that a mother can do or say that to their own child.

I will never look at her the same.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165

Because she is a nasty person most times with undiagnosed mental health issue(s) and a big reason for my depression and anxiety issues.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,524

Because she is a nasty person most times with undiagnosed mental health issue(s) and a big reason for my depression and anxiety issues.
    Sorry to hear that, TA. Time to emancipate?

new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
    Nami said:

The day i lost my job my my wife called her mother for support, she responded why you calling her to bring us down with your shit. she then said i hope you dont think your moving back in with us till you get your feet back on the ground. Then continued to call my bro in law and complain. My mother in law is an alcoholic and i realize it was the booze..maybe some true feelings there... but that shit hurt us both. All the stories she told me finally hit home.... truly sad for a child (my Wife) to go through that. Coming from a loving family myself, it still stings that a mother can do or say that to their own child.

Wow! That is harsh. Good thing your wife has you and your family.

I want her in my rearviewmirror.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135

Wow, and I thought my mom was bad. So sorry you had to go through that. I'm sure she loves you though. Even when it seems like they are distant and no longer the mom who raised us with love, they really still are that same person deep down--never forget that. Hang in there.

Wow, and I thought my mom was bad. So sorry you had to go through that. I'm sure she loves you though. Even when it seems like they are distant and no longer the mom who raised us with love, they really still are that same person deep down--never forget that. Hang in there.

She's not a bad person, she just does and says very hurtful things.
    She's an abuser in her bad moments.
    I have nothing in common with her other than love of music.
    Thank you for your kind words.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Thoughts - I hope you know you can still love your mother but liberate yourself from her words and their effect. Forgiveness is so powerful on US. That's really what it's for.

I hope you can get there, in your own time.

...and, see yourself as I - and I think others here as well - do. Decent, introspective, self-aware, just aware in general.

As Zep says - your time is gonna come.

No need to rush it; you'll know. Trust in yourself and your gut.
    hedonist said:

Thoughts - I hope you know you can still love your mother but liberate yourself from her words and their effect. Forgiveness is so powerful on US. That's really what it's for.

I hope you can get there, in your own time.

...and, see yourself as I - and I think others here as well - do. Decent, introspective, self-aware, just aware in general.

As Zep says - your time is gonna come.

No need to rush it; you'll know. Trust in yourself and your gut.

Thank you for your kind words.
  • NamiNami Posts: 5,995

Nami said:

Wow! That is harsh. Good thing your wife has you and your family.
    Thanks WH! She is one of the strongest women i know.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,524
    obviously I know not all mothers are kind people. I was speaking to TA's specific situation.
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    RKCNDY said:

justam said:

I think it takes time to truly know people and so often people don't feel comfortable talking about deep questions or feelings they might have in everyday conversations.

I also think all this superficial connection on social media is often substituting for deeper, in-person, relationships. Not that I don't enjoy the distant friendships, it's just that they aren't the same as close, in-the-room relationships.

So often I see people with their noses in their phones when they are sitting next to someone they could be talking to!

I've tried to talk to people to get to know them better...not when I first meet them, but people that I had met and known for a bit who claimed to be my friends. So, if people really want to make those types of connections or not anymore is beyond me.
    i agree..same here..its hard of always me to open so make people feel safe ao open back and let know them
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”

I feel lonely much of the time, but that's unsurprising as I don't have many friends and have never had a partner. I'm reasonably comfortable in my own company though, so I guess that's something :)

i think u are easy going..and people feel confy with you
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    PJ_Soul said:

Probably already talked about at length, but I think the sense of loneliness comes from feeling like one isn't truly known. Some people are more complex in their emotions and the way they interpret the world, and those people feel like others usually don't really truly get them. These may be the people who might not know how to express themselves fully, or people who just think in a different way from most and it truly is hard to find anyone who really gets them deep down. And i think so many people must feel this. It's not easy to find a person who really knows you. Some people never find such a person, even though they have friends, family, a spouse, kids.... And some others do find a few people like that in life, but lose them along the road one way or another. Feeling misunderstood and/or not known has to be one of the most lonely feelings in the world, and the more people surrounding you who don't really know you, the more lonely it probably feels. The person with the most folks in their lives but isn't fully understood in the deepest sense could be the loneliness.

.... Of course, that sense of feeling known could have a little or a lot to do with a certain brand of arrogance too. Like, I'm sure many people feel like no one really knows or understands them, but in fact they are simply overestimating their own complexity, and simply rejecting the fact that some people do indeed totally understand them, or at least could, given half a chance. Sometimes people can become trapped in their own bubbles, where what they feel is magnified and warped, and they start turning away from people under the assumption that no one could possibly feel the very special way they do... Little do they know that they have grossly overestimated how special they are. In that case, they are the ones who don't truly get to know the people surrounding them, and not the other way around. Some people really are difficult for most others to really understand and know. They really are just that different and complex. And the other possibility is that some people simply surround themselves with particulary unperceptive people (of which there are soooo many).... and that might say a lot about that particular lonely person, or perhaps about where they choose to be in life. Time to start seeking out the perceptive ones.

I'm also thinking it's often a bit of all those sides.

And then there are the folks who never feel alone. I feel like most who never do are the ones who are very content with themselves, for better or worse. Being content with oneself can be a wonderful thing, or a.terrible thing, depending on how self-aware the person is.and depending on what makes them content.... I'm sure some truly evil people have been very content with themselves, and a whole lot of vapid morons too. Contentment can be justified, but it can also amount to having ones head in the sand.

I agree and the last paragraph is really to the point
    RKCNDY said:

So I wonder if people who use a chat/forum regularly have a social anxiety...they can get to know people, and have a thoughtful conversation without being face to face. I know I'm super shy, I don't do well in large groups of people I don't know well (it's literally exhausting/mentally taxing for me)...heck, at PJ pre-parties, I'm not one to bounce around the room and say hi to everybody. I only do that if I know people there.

This has alot of truth...
  • jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Posts: 2,682

RKCNDY said:

So I wonder if people who use a chat/forum regularly have a social anxiety...they can get to know people, and have a thoughtful conversation without being face to face. I know I'm super shy, I don't do well in large groups of people I don't know well (it's literally exhausting/mentally taxing for me)...heck, at PJ pre-parties, I'm not one to bounce around the room and say hi to everybody. I only do that if I know people there.

I agree, I feel much more comfortable talking to people on here than in real life! I'm grand chatting to one person but in a group I generally feel lost and like I don't belong. Even when I'm hanging out with badminton people and we clearly have at least one common interest, once we're away from the court I'm instantly uncomfortable and always feel like the odd one out. I guess I just don't feel like I can relate well to others of my own age, especially girls, maybe because I'm very conscious of being different. At the same time, I'm one of those unfortunate people who wants everyone to like them, so I'm constantly worried about what they all think of me. I can't win really. I hate how envious I feel of other girls as well, of their friendships, their looks, their popularity. This jealousy is probably the thing I dislike most about myself, such a horrible character trait to possess, brings nothing but unhappiness. Sure is it any wonder I keep to myself haha
    edited May 2015
    And a comment about facebook...my favorite place is my pm...i communicate with people i want and like and about convesration im.intrested...and i use it only for pj..
    im not expose my personal life..who i eat.with who.what.when im going the weekend.what i talked with a friend.with my sister.about my family.their health.what i do at my job.wirh who im right now.with who im sleeping..what o bought..what ii think ill do tomorrow who i am with right now and what did my ex said.
    is MY BUSUNESS.....
    only my pj trip.life lilea allow people to know
    the rest i choose with who to share with..
    people think is share all will not feel alone
    they are wrong...be alone is a choice..
    and alot of times feel alone is a choice as well
    Post edited by dimitrispearljam on
    RKCNDY said:

And something about it..for me is kinda weird at preparties..i dont have at all to look around..all will come to say hi to.me..so even i want to be alone..i cant
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844

And something about it..for me is kinda weird at preparties..i dont have at all to look around..all will come to say hi to.me..so even i want to be alone..i cant

#humblebrag

:smiley:
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

RKCNDY said:

I agree, I feel much more comfortable talking to people on here than in real life! I'm grand chatting to one person but in a group I generally feel lost and like I don't belong. Even when I'm hanging out with badminton people and we clearly have at least one common interest, once we're away from the court I'm instantly uncomfortable and always feel like the odd one out. I guess I just don't feel like I can relate well to others of my own age, especially girls, maybe because I'm very conscious of being different. At the same time, I'm one of those unfortunate people who wants everyone to like them, so I'm constantly worried about what they all think of me. I can't win really. I hate how envious I feel of other girls as well, of their friendships, their looks, their popularity. This jealousy is probably the thing I dislike most about myself, such a horrible character trait to possess, brings nothing but unhappiness. Sure is it any wonder I keep to myself haha
    You sound like the female version of me!
    I can only relate to musician artist types into similar music to me.
    Other guys into cars, gym, sports I can't click with.

RKCNDY said:

You sound like the female version of me!
    I can only relate to musician artist types into similar music to me.
    Other guys into cars, gym, sports I can't click with.
    I probably relate better to guys as I'm so into sports! I think my main problem though is that I don't drink. Then add to that the fact that I'm really interested in politics and current affairs and you can imagine I don't really fit in that well with other girls of my age.

If you sit me down beside any one person though, I can easily converse with them and would probably ask them a load of questions and get their life story. I find people generally to be really interesting and I love finding out their stories. So I'm sure I could find some way to relate to any person who I might meet. It's just being in a group that seems to throw me and I completely retreat into my shell. So someone who meets me one-on-one would find me to be a completely different person than if they saw me out in a group.
    Sometimes I can find it more comfortable in a group as the focus isn't entirely on me.
    Worst is at work functions, outside a work situation I feel so awkward having to make small talk to people I have nothing in common with.

Sometimes I can find it more comfortable in a group as the focus isn't entirely on me.
    Worst is at work functions, outside a work situation I feel so awkward having to make small talk to people I have nothing in common with.

Even in a one-on-one situation? See I'd have no problem there, though I'm not sure I'm great at small talk. I tend to be very quick to ask nosy personal questions :) If you talk to someone long enough you'll most likely find a shared interest!

Even in a one-on-one situation? See I'd have no problem there, though I'm not sure I'm great at small talk. I tend to be very quick to ask nosy personal questions :) If you talk to someone long enough you'll most likely find a shared interest!
    I've gone out for drinks with a colleague and been stuck with colleagues on a one on one situation and always feel like I am the one that needs to initiate conversation as colleagues just look at me. Even on the few dates it happened to me. Makes me feel anxious trying to think of topics to talk about or what to say. In groups the attention isn't just on me so I actually feel less anxious. Hence, I hate dating lol

I've gone out for drinks with a colleague and been stuck with colleagues on a one on one situation and always feel like I am the one that needs to initiate conversation as colleagues just look at me. Even on the few dates it happened to me. Makes me feel anxious trying to think of topics to talk about or what to say. In groups the attention isn't just on me so I actually feel less anxious. Hence, I hate dating lol
    Oh yeah, remember I was saying about the online dating? Only one date has come out of it thus far and I met this guy after work in a pub. It was painfully awkward as I just had to keep asking him questions! He wasn't exactly a great conversationalist. There are only so many questions you can ask before you start feeling like you're interrogating them but I wasn't going to sit in silence. Needless to say, neither of us made contact again afterwards haha

Oh yeah, remember I was saying about the online dating? Only one date has come out of it thus far and I met this guy after work in a pub. It was painfully awkward as I just had to keep asking him questions! He wasn't exactly a great conversationalist. There are only so many questions you can ask before you start feeling like you're interrogating them but I wasn't going to sit in silence. Needless to say, neither of us made contact again afterwards haha
    Looks like that guy was the problem and not you. Sometimes we tend to be harsh on ourselves when in fact the other person in the date was boring. In those situations it would fair to politely end the date.

Looks like that guy was the problem and not you. Sometimes we tend to be harsh on ourselves when in fact the other person in the date was boring. In those situations it would fair to politely end the date.
    ah I'd say it only lasted a (long) hour anyway. He may just be very shy or else he found me boring, who knows. I wasn't too bothered, it's a little depressing that it's the only 'date' I've ever been on though ha
    Keep trying :)
    You too! :)