Options

An Evening Celebrating The Who with Pete Townshend, Eddie Vedder Thursday, May 14, 2015

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,203
    Shut the front door!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Catwoman1Catwoman1 Posts: 482
    edited May 2015

Suziemay (I tried to quote your comment but I'm doing something wrong on my phone - but this is in response to your comment) --

Or the look on Pete's face when Eddie was playing the solo on Corrina Corrina. Priceless!!!
    Post edited by Catwoman1 on
    You can't be neutral on a moving train.
  • Options
    PJForceofNaturePJForceofNature Posts: 3,087
    Even though the show was short, I would love to have been there. Everyone who was there was very lucky to have witnessed it!
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    Vedder4PrezVedder4Prez Posts: 804

an hour and a half is just what should have been expected for this.

How so? I saw The Who Monday night and they went for 2 hours and 15 minutes without an encore.

I may have missed something so just 90 minutes of music? No opener or anything right?
    Nashville '00
    Houston, B'ham, Nashville, Atlanta '03
    Toledo, Grand Rapids '04
    Kitchener, London '05
    Camden x 2, D.C., Cincy, San Fran x 3 '06
    Chicago '07
    Columbia '08
    MSG x 2 '10;
    PJ 20 x 2 '11
    Atlanta '12
    Wrigley '13
    St. Louis, Memphis '14
    Lexington '15
    Wrigley '16
    Wrigley x 2 '18
    Nashville '22
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,490
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Since when does Eddie tuck his shirt into mom jeans? Fuk we are all getting old. =)
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    EXACTLY how BBE should sound! Thanks for posting this.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,184
    Watched most of the videos that are up so far. Damn Ed sounds great!! Wish I could've gone. Looks like it was a special night. (Regardless of the short set)
  • Options
    JibitiJibiti Posts: 264
    It was a pretty good night. I'm not sure if it was $250 worth, but I'm still glad I went.

Complete setlist from The Who forums:

Opening intro from Roger
    Leaving This Town(Simon)
    Forever And A Day(Simon)
    She Asked Me(Simon&Eddie)
    I'm The Answer (Simon&Eddie)
    Red Blue and Grey (Eddie)
    Far Behind (Eddie)
    Stand By Me(Pete&Eddie)
    Corrina Corrina(Bob Dylan cover, Pete&Eddie)
    Drowned(Pete solo)
    I'm One(Pete and band)
    The Kids Are Alright(Full band, Joe Walsh)
    Eminence Front (Full band, Joe Walsh)
    Summertime Blues (Full band, Joan Jett & Joe Walsh)
    I Can't Explain(Full band, Joan Jett &Joe Walsh)
    Behind Blue Eyes (Pete&Eddie)
    Betterman(Full band, Pete&Eddie)
    Won't Get Fooled Again(Full band, Joan Jett, Joe Walsh, Rick Nielsen & Eddie Vedder)
    My Generation(Full band, Joan Jett, Joe Walsh, Rick Nielsen & Eddie Vedder)
    6.30.06 - Marcus Ampitheatre (Summerfest),
    9.03-04.11 PJ20!!!
    7.19.13 - Wrigley!!!
    10.19.14, 10.20.14 (Yield!!)
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,093

an hour and a half is just what should have been expected for this.

How so? I saw The Who Monday night and they went for 2 hours and 15 minutes without an encore.

I may have missed something so just 90 minutes of music? No opener or anything right?
    because a specialty performance like this is never balls out rock all night. it's for charity. it's to get people in a room and give money, and the performance is the gravy for those willing to shell out the cash.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Catwoman1 said:

Suziemay (I tried to quote your comment but I'm doing something wrong on my phone - but this is in response to your comment) --

Or the look on Pete's face when Eddie was playing the solo on Corrina Corrina. Priceless!!!

Yes, yes! Hoping there's an abundance of videos to relive those moments!
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,365
    Behind Blue Eyes was so good, it really should be released as a digital download, with the proceeds going to Teen Cancer America.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,929
    Ok, here is my 1st stupid question of the day. (And good morning all!)

For anyone who purchased a poster
    What are the measurements of the poster?

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    jjtormeyjjtormey Chicago Posts: 478
    I am a long-time PJ fan...and a longer-time Who fan. First saw the Who in 1982. First saw PJ in 1994.
    I was at the show. I spent $250. I was thrilled. Sure, they should've done at least a one-song encore.
    But, if you had told me before the show that Pete would play two songs off of Quadrophenia; Eddie would sing Behind Blue Eyes; Joe Walsh would shred the lead in Eminence Front, Eddie would play Blue, Red and Grey from By Numbers; Pete would wind mill like a 20 yr-old during the jam part of Betterman; and they would close with Won't Get Fooled Again and My Generation with EV, Walsh, Nielsen...I would have paid more.
    It was a truly special night. One that will never be repeated. Now, if Rio would just get here...I'm ready for another show, baby!!
    Jim
    '94 - Miami;  '95 - Chicago;  '06 - Chicago x 2;  '08 - Washington, DC;   '09 - Berlin; Philly #1;   '10 - Noblesville, IN; Bristol, VA;   '11 - PJ20 x 2; Costa Rica;   '12 - Missoula;   '13 - Wrigley, Baltimore, Seattle;   '14 - Stockholm, St Louis;  '16 - Wrigley x 2; Fenway;  '18 - Wrigley x 2;  
  • Options
    JibitiJibiti Posts: 264

18 x 24 in.

6.30.06 - Marcus Ampitheatre (Summerfest),
    9.03-04.11 PJ20!!!
    7.19.13 - Wrigley!!!
    10.19.14, 10.20.14 (Yield!!)
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,291
    jjtormey said:

I am a long-time PJ fan...and a longer-time Who fan. First saw the Who in 1982. First saw PJ in 1994.
    I was at the show. I spent $250. I was thrilled. Sure, they should've done at least a one-song encore.
    But, if you had told me before the show that Pete would play two songs off of Quadrophenia; Eddie would sing Behind Blue Eyes; Joe Walsh would shred the lead in Eminence Front, Eddie would play Blue, Red and Grey from By Numbers; Pete would wind mill like a 20 yr-old during the jam part of Betterman; and they would close with Won't Get Fooled Again and My Generation with EV, Walsh, Nielsen...I would have paid more.
    It was a truly special night. One that will never be repeated. Now, if Rio would just get here...I'm ready for another show, baby!!
    Jim

how was Better Man? did Pete or anyone other than Ed sing at all on it?
  • Options
    Jibiti said:

18 x 24 in.

Thank you very much.
  • Options
    P34RL J4MM3RP34RL J4MM3R Posts: 1,314
    bbison said:

A couple of thoughts:

Enjoyed the show, but in retrospect probably would have preferred just Pete & Eddie with their acoustic instruments messing around with the Who/Who-related catalog.

For those in our party who saw the Who last night, they felt it was like the JV version of the Who.

After My Generation ended the set on a high note, a couple of encores were appropriate. Love Reign O'er Me and Baba O Riley come to mind as plug-and-play options, but there's certainly more Who stuff in Eddie''s repertoire that the band knows cold.

You know, you hope you get legendary...sometimes you settle for pretty damn good.

Don't want to whine too much about a charity event where everyone is playing on what would be time off or a night off. But an extra 15-20 minutes would have been huge.

Yep, good sentiments. I'm thinking the same way. Not Epic, but pretty good.
    There's no need to say goodbye
  • Options
    jjtormeyjjtormey Chicago Posts: 478
    pjhawks said:

jjtormey said:

Jim

Ed did the singing on Betterman.
    One last note for anyone complaining about the length of the show:
    Pete Townshend turns 70 on Tuesday.
    '94 - Miami;  '95 - Chicago;  '06 - Chicago x 2;  '08 - Washington, DC;   '09 - Berlin; Philly #1;   '10 - Noblesville, IN; Bristol, VA;   '11 - PJ20 x 2; Costa Rica;   '12 - Missoula;   '13 - Wrigley, Baltimore, Seattle;   '14 - Stockholm, St Louis;  '16 - Wrigley x 2; Fenway;  '18 - Wrigley x 2;  
  • Options
    wgwg Posts: 411

Since when does Eddie tuck his shirt into mom jeans? Fuk we are all getting old. =)

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    jjtormey said:

pjhawks said:

jjtormey said:

Jim

:look_at_the_time:

:lol:

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    P34RL J4MM3RP34RL J4MM3R Posts: 1,314
    jjtormey said:

pjhawks said:

jjtormey said:

Yeah, but the Who with That same Pete and Roger played 2 hours and 20 minutes on Wednesday night and rocked it, so I know it can be done.
    There's no need to say goodbye
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    wg said:

haha, that was atrocious. i hope his kids didn't see that

i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    wwsuicidewwsuicide Posts: 1,324
    DPrival78 said:

wg said:

haha, that was atrocious. i hope his kids didn't see that

That was weird!
  • Options
    JG64307JG64307 Posts: 37
    Was there any info at the benefit on the market value of tickets so we know what's deductible for tax purposes as a donation to charity? Usually they print the fair market value on the tickets and the difference is what counts as a donation. Nothing on these tickets.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Lovely recording! Thanks so much. For those less than happy about a 'shorter' show, well no one's getting any younger. Just be happy that all these folks are still alive and playing because there's those that aren't.

R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options

Well I made it to Chicago. It's cold here. I left Philly in shorts, threw my sweats on while on the Blue Line into the city and stopped at local CVS and bought a sweatshirt. Brr.

Can't wait till tonight.

Where the hell are you?
    Yours is the only review I give a rats ass about!
  • Options
    PJ212PJ212 Posts: 812
    What jjtormey said. Special night. I'm thankful that EV has shared his own fandom and love for The Who over the years. Was wonderful to partake in the night because of that. You Stand By Me was really great.
    2000: CLT, Greensboro, 2003: MSG 1 & 2, 2008: MSG 1 & 2, 2009: LA 2 & 3, 2011: Vancouver, 2012: Missoula, 2013: Wrigley, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Voodoo, SD, LA 1 & 2, OAK, PDX, Vancouver, SEA, 2014: Cincy, ACL1, Tulsa, Lincoln, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, MKE, DEN, Bridge 1 & 2, 2015: GCF, Mexico City, 2016: FLL, MIA, TPA, Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Bonnaroo, Telluride, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1 & 2, 2017: ROHF, 2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1
  • Options
    Pearl Jam_iePearl Jam_ie Posts: 821
    I think it may have got overlooked by many, but you could also buy the same white "Who Cares" shirts that all of the Teen Cancer volunteers were wearing. They were selling them at their booth where they were signing people up. Best part was that they were signed by Roger and Pete. $30 each. Me and my buddy each got one. The volunteer didn't even know they were autographed til she pulled one out to show it to us. Nice bonus!

"In certain trying circumstances...profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,639

I think it may have got overlooked by many, but you could also buy the same white "Who Cares" shirts that all of the Teen Cancer volunteers were wearing. They were selling them at their booth where they were signing people up. Best part was that they were signed by Roger and Pete. $30 each. Me and my buddy each got one. The volunteer didn't even know they were autographed til she pulled one out to show it to us. Nice bonus!

Very cool. Wish I would have seen that booth.