Options

An Evening Celebrating The Who with Pete Townshend, Eddie Vedder Thursday, May 14, 2015

Comments

• Options
    JG64307JG64307 Posts: 37
    I'm not sure how long the normal shows this tour by The Who are, but 1.5 hours is actually pretty standard for a concert, unfortunately. One of my other favorite bands is Echo & The Bunnymen. I just got into them a few years ago and they only tour the US every 5-6 years or so. I saw them in a ballroom in SF and it was about 1.5 hours. Same thing with Psycadelic Furs. I know almost the entire catalog of each of those bands. Oh well.
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,800
    Don't get me wrong, it was awesome. But that moment where the crowd's going off and then the house lights come up was kinda surprising. Definitely could've gone for a 2-3 song encore.
  • Options
    RibbertronRibbertron Posts: 163
    Definitely was an odd feeling watching everyone leave the stage with the crowd at its peak and wanting more. Thought to myself, alright it's not Pearl Jam so we will probably get on encore of about 3 songs but no, the house lights came on and the stage started getting taken apart. Either way, it was worth it to me.

I ended up getting the $500 tickets for $100 through ticketmaster when someone posted the price drop was on(thanks to whoever that was!), so that was the closest I was ever to Ed. It was awesome! He posted that row went on sale and I was lucky enough to get it and also enjoy it to myself, there were probably 4 seats on either side of me that were empty(section 110 row HH). I got my moneys worth but definitely wouldn't say that if I spent anymore and didn't have the seats I had.

I have an extra poster for the show as well if anyone is interested.
  • Options
    FrankSFrankS Posts: 273
    I know I didn't pay as much as others BUT the way I'm looking at is like this - I got to see someone I idolize (Eddie Vedder), play with someone he idolizes (Pete Townshend) and a crap-ton more of rock royalty (Joan Jett and Joe Walsh) and it all went towards helping people.

Did I spend $500+ on tickets? No
    Would I have if I could? Probably
    Would I spend $500+ on tickets to do it again after it being 1.5 hours? Absolutely

Like Roger said in his opening, The Who won't be playing all that much longer and Joan and Eddie aren't exactly spring chickens themselves anymore. All I'm trying to say is you've got to enjoy it while you can - live at least.
    8/23/2009[Chicago], 5/07/2010[Noblesville], 9/3/2011 [PJ20], 9/4/2011 [PJ20], 7/19/2013 [Chicago], 10/17/2014 [Moline], 8/22/2016 [Chicago], 8/18/2018 [Chicago], 8/20/2018 [Chicago]; 9/5/2023 [Chicago]; 9/7/2023 [Chicago]
  • Options
    bbisonbbison Posts: 221
    A couple of thoughts:

Enjoyed the show, but in retrospect probably would have preferred just Pete & Eddie with their acoustic instruments messing around with the Who/Who-related catalog.

For those in our party who saw the Who last night, they felt it was like the JV version of the Who.

After My Generation ended the set on a high note, a couple of encores were appropriate. Love Reign O'er Me and Baba O Riley come to mind as plug-and-play options, but there's certainly more Who stuff in Eddie''s repertoire that the band knows cold.

You know, you hope you get legendary...sometimes you settle for pretty damn good.

Don't want to whine too much about a charity event where everyone is playing on what would be time off or a night off. But an extra 15-20 minutes would have been huge.

Is this where the show list goes?

11-26-91 / 8-2-92 / 3-15-94 / 7-9-95 / 7-11-95 / 8-29-98 / 9-1-00 / 10-25-03 
    10-23-04 / 10-22-06 / 10-9-09 / 10-23-10 / 10-3-12 / 7-9-13 / 10-21-13
    11-24-13 / 11-26-13 / 10-17-14 / 10-20-14 / 10-25-14 / 4-8-16 / 4-9-16
     4-28-16 / 4-29-16 / 8-20-16 / 8-22-16 / 8-10-18 / 8-18-18 / 8-20-18
  • Options
    SHAKYSHAKY Posts: 16
    edited May 2015
    FrankS said:

I know I didn't pay as much as others BUT the way I'm looking at is like this - I got to see someone I idolize (Eddie Vedder), play with someone he idolizes (Pete Townshend) and a crap-ton more of rock royalty (Joan Jett and Joe Walsh) and it all went towards helping people.

Did I spend $500+ on tickets? No
    Would I have if I could? Probably
    Would I spend $500+ on tickets to do it again after it being 1.5 hours? Absolutely

Like Roger said in his opening, The Who won't be playing all that much longer and Joan and Eddie aren't exactly spring chickens themselves anymore. All I'm trying to say is you've got to enjoy it while you can - live at least.

Well said
    Frank S .
    Should have came back for atleast one more tune,, " A Quite One while She's Away" .. Eddie's played it..It's on the Who's current setlist.. That should have been a given.... I would do it all over again without hesitation.... maybe, everybody that attended should get a free download. And I know Roger could not Sing but he could of came out and tapped a tambourine ?? His stage presence is enormous.......
    Blue, Red + Grey,, Summertime Blues,My Generation high lights for me
    Post edited by SHAKY on
  • Options
    3days3days Posts: 1,152
    That Joe Walsh solo during Eminence Front was f'n amazing! EV was great on Behind Blue Eyes.
  • Options
    kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    Are there any videos around?
  • Options
    JG64307JG64307 Posts: 37
    edited May 2015
    A few on youtube. Sort by "upload date" for "vedder" or "The who" or "Teen cancer" and you'll find them.
    Post edited by JG64307 on
  • Options
    korn-1korn-1 Los Angeles, transplanted from Chicago Posts: 930
    edited May 2015
    Was it a 3 hour marathon? No, but they rocked out for a good cause!
    Would i have liked to see baba and love reign? Yes, but we still got a lot of awesome music, they sounded fantastic, and looked like they were having a blast doing it!
    I was happy and Ed came out after the show and shook hands, hugged, and spent time conversing with each and every fan that was left... even noticed and complimented my Wrigley hat. Today was a good day!
    Post edited by korn-1 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me
  • Options
    korn-1 said:

Would i have liked to see baba and love reign? Yes, but we still got a lot of awesome music, they sounded fantastic, and looked like they were having a blast doing it!
    I was happy and Ed came out after the show and shook hands, hugged, and spent time conversing with each and every fan that was left... even noticed and complimented my Wrigley hat. Today was a good day!

Sounded really cool having Eddie Time post concert !!
  • Options
    This song should of played https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTFX6_NLCEU
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,929

pureoc said:

Probably will get ripped for this but it wasn't worth the $100 i paid. Can't imagine how upset those who paid $500+ feel. Rock shows shouldn't end at 10pm. Just over 1 hr 30 min? Also the majority of the upper deck sat the whole time, is this the opera? It is what it is. Guess ill look forward to the next PJ or Ed solo show where i know I'll get my money's worrh.

tell that to people says the who tour more than pj at the states..atleast pj plays 3 hours in the highest quality show..and not pay 500$ to see them..sorry for that happened and u feel this way
    This was NOT a WHO show...
    Nor was it ever billed as THE WHO
    $500? This was for Charity

The Who puts on a KICK ASS show...
    This event was not THE WHO.

People got EXACTLY what was billed

Joe Walsh
    Joan Jett
    Eddie Vedder and Pete Townshend celebrating the music of The Who
    For Charity

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,821
    http://www.alternativenation.net/setlist-videos-eddie-vedders-the-who/

At one point during the show, someone in the crowd called out for “Freebird,” and Vedder responded by calling him a ‘fucking asshole.’

EPIC!!! hahaha
  • Options
    pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,833

JG64307 said:

JG64307 said:

I unloaded all of my 14 extras on Stubhub Saturday and Sunday. Took a huge loss, but glad I'm missing the latest bloodbath.

Has anyone heard anything back on the tax-deductibility of these? I had a good email dialog going with someone from Teen Cancer America who said she was working with accountants at the venue, who would be handing that and she was going to get back to me. But she stopped responding.

How/why the fuck would anyone have 14 extra tickets to a show where they cost $100-1000? Are you crazy and/or super rich? :)
    I posted a few pages earlier. 3 extras were $1000, 6 were $750, and the rest were $500 seats. Not super rich. Perhaps a bit crazy. Going to look into minimizing my loss through either capital loss provision in tax code or charity deduction. Going to need to see what the fair market value declaration of these is from Teen Cancer America. I think I can save more from declaring these a capital loss and deducting $3000 this year and $3000 next year against wages at the marginal bracket, however.
    Crazy? PJ fan? Flipper? All 3?

Eddie rubs some magic dust on some of you people
    Yeah a fan and 14 friends backed out of $500-$1000 tickets.
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    I'm not a huge who fan..usually always piss songs at pj shows with the exception of baba..I had tix to this show and sold them off and im so glad I did..aside from all the reasons everyone has mentioned..from the videos I've seen Ed struggled as well.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    pureoc said:

Probably will get ripped for this but it wasn't worth the $100 i paid. Can't imagine how upset those who paid $500+ feel. Rock shows shouldn't end at 10pm. Just over 1 hr 30 min? Also the majority of the upper deck sat the whole time, is this the opera? It is what it is. Guess ill look forward to the next PJ or Ed solo show where i know I'll get my money's worrh.

Yes a rock show shouldn't end at 10!!
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    offhegoes32offhegoes32 Posts: 408
    korn-1 said:

What time did Ed end up coming out finally to greet? I waiting a long time but finally had to bail. Really going to be tough to hear if it was right after I left ha.
    No time to be void or save up on life, you gotta spend it all.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,389
    demetrios said:

At one point during the show, someone in the crowd called out for “Freebird,” and Vedder responded by calling him a ‘fucking asshole.’

EPIC!!! hahaha

What's epic is that guy yelling "freebird" hahahahahaha!

I think it's hysterical. Played out but hysterical.
  • Options
    BlredyellowBlredyellow Posts: 843
    Great, very special show.

Ed was in fine form. Voice was perfect and he sang the hell out of everything. Bounced around like a kid on/offstage but was also very professional and clearly was the star of the show.

Venue was packed. Crowd was loud and wanted more.

Seeing the father-in-law relationship between Pete and Ed and "Behind Blue Eyes" were worth the price of admission.

Should've been longer but special and memorable while it lasted.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,184
    Looks like a great night! Please tell me soundboard recording of this will be floating around? Please??? :prayer:
  • Options
    wwsuicidewwsuicide Posts: 1,324

korn-1 said:

What time did Ed end up coming out finally to greet? I waiting a long time but finally had to bail. Really going to be tough to hear if it was right after I left ha.
    1am. Worth the wait. Really took a lot of time and spoke to all of us there in depth. Once in a lifetime deal for sure!
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    edited May 2015
    Wma31394 said:

I'm not a huge who fan..usually always piss songs at pj shows with the exception of baba..I had tix to this show and sold them off and im so glad I did..aside from all the reasons everyone has mentioned..from the videos I've seen Ed struggled as well.

I too wish they had played longer, even if it were a 2-song encore, but in no way was Ed struggling. Not at all. He was in fine form and had a big smile on his face the entire night. When Ed first walks on stage, Pete gives him a hug and plants a kiss on his cheek and Ed was beaming. Just watching him on stage the whole night soak it all in was worth the ticket price to me. A night like this will most likely never happen again.

Post edited by Suziemay on
  • Options
    coco buttercoco butter Posts: 1,438
    edited May 2015
    I loved the show as well. Great time and Ed sounded great! The one thing I just couldn't wrap my head around was the lines for beer and the people that spent tons of money to watch the show would rather stand in-line for a $11.50 Bud Light. The guy next to me asked what he missed as he was in-line for 25 minutes to get a beer. Unbelievable.
    Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,402
    Thanks for the link to these videos. :)
    demetrios said:

EPIC!!! hahaha

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    Peyton18Peyton18 Posts: 216
    If anybody has an extra XL shirt from the show last night PM me! I'm definitely interested
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,365
    edited May 2015
    It was short, but it was fucking awesome. I really enjoyed it. I'm glad I went.
    Post edited by RP112579 on
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,093
    an hour and a half is just what should have been expected for this.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Stickman12Stickman12 Posts: 504
    The first and probably only time I'll see this combination on stage together. Regardless of cost or time on stage the experience was well worth it. I took a friend who only knew the who as the CSI theme song. Left the show saying, "That was fucking amazing". Enough said