Options

An Evening Celebrating The Who with Pete Townshend, Eddie Vedder Thursday, May 14, 2015

Comments

• Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    bbison said:

You know, you hope you get legendary...sometimes you settle for pretty damn good.

Word
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,084
    Anyone know who the artist was who designed the poster?
  • Options
    3days3days Posts: 1,152
    His name is in the bottom left corner of the poster. Don't have it in front of me, but I can check after work.
  • Options
    EddieshometownEddieshometown Evanston, IL Posts: 974
    edited May 2015
    demetrios said:

Joe Morris is the name on the poster
    6/26/98 & 6/27/98 - Alpine Valley, 10/9/00 - Allstate Arena - Rosemont, IL 6/18/2003 - United Center, 5/16/2006 - United Center,
    5/17/2006 - United Center (7th row center, caught Eddie's pick), 6/29/2006 - Summerfest with Tom Petty,
    8/24/2009 - United Center, 7/19/2013 - Wrigley Field, 10/3/2014 - St Louis, 10/17/2014 - Moline (GA), 10/20/2014 - Milwaukee,
    5/14/2015 - Pete Townshend/EV, 8/20/16 & 8/22/16 Wrigley Field Part 2&3, 8/18/18 & 8/20/18 Wrigley Parts 4 & 5, 9/18/2022 - St Louis
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,490
    jjtormey said:

I am a long-time PJ fan...and a longer-time Who fan. First saw the Who in 1982. First saw PJ in 1994.
    I was at the show. I spent $250. I was thrilled. Sure, they should've done at least a one-song encore.
    But, if you had told me before the show that Pete would play two songs off of Quadrophenia; Eddie would sing Behind Blue Eyes; Joe Walsh would shred the lead in Eminence Front, Eddie would play Blue, Red and Grey from By Numbers; Pete would wind mill like a 20 yr-old during the jam part of Betterman; and they would close with Won't Get Fooled Again and My Generation with EV, Walsh, Nielsen...I would have paid more.
    It was a truly special night. One that will never be repeated. Now, if Rio would just get here...I'm ready for another show, baby!!
    Jim

Very well said and right on point.

• Options

demetrios said:

Joe Morris is the name on the poster
    Thanks!
  • Options
    pearlgirl52pearlgirl52 At a Pearl Jam show, hopefully. Posts: 653
    I'm thrilled I was at this show. It was so special to see Ed live out his dream. Everyone sounded so spectacular. My personal favorite was "Behind Blue Eyes" and yes of course "Betterman" which I have never heard live! Yes, I was shocked when it ended, but it was a benefit and it was a really good quality show. I really want to take a minute to talk about how nice everyone I met was. I was on crutches. Not easy. I was by myself and had to do a lot hard work to hold my crutches, posters, shirt, water and purse! Everyone went above and beyond to help me out. The guy I sat next to watched my poster and made sure I had enough space. On my way out a guy jumped in front of me to open the door for me! All around good people. I love PJ/The Who/Pete/Simon/Joan Jett/Joe Walsh/Rick Neilson fans! Thanks everyone! Bonus on my way out I met Brent Sopel and if you live in Chicago, you know who he is. Awesome night!
  • Options

I'm thrilled I was at this show. It was so special to see Ed live out his dream. Everyone sounded so spectacular. My personal favorite was "Behind Blue Eyes" and yes of course "Betterman" which I have never heard live! Yes, I was shocked when it ended, but it was a benefit and it was a really good quality show. I really want to take a minute to talk about how nice everyone I met was. I was on crutches. Not easy. I was by myself and had to do a lot hard work to hold my crutches, posters, shirt, water and purse! Everyone went above and beyond to help me out. The guy I sat next to watched my poster and made sure I had enough space. On my way out a guy jumped in front of me to open the door for me! All around good people. I love PJ/The Who/Pete/Simon/Joan Jett/Joe Walsh/Rick Neilson fans! Thanks everyone! Bonus on my way out I met Brent Sopel and if you live in Chicago, you know who he is. Awesome night!

You mean 2010 Stanley Cup defenseman of the Chicago Blackhawks now a CSN hockey correspondent with chronically wet hair...no never heard of him. :)

Glad to hear you had a great time and everyone was so helpful! I had a blast too!
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,780
    demetrios said:

http://www.alternativenation.net/setlist-videos-eddie-vedders-the-who/

At one point during the show, someone in the crowd called out for “Freebird,” and Vedder responded by calling him a ‘fucking asshole.’

EPIC!!! hahaha

And he also said the music of the band we're here for tonight far exceeds Freebird. Loved that. I thought it was a great show, good mix of songs played, Ed sounded great singing Who songs, guests were awesome (aside from a brief senior moment from Walsh) during Kids are Alright. But he can still play for sure.

I paid $500 and it was worth it for me. I could sit there for rest of my life watching Pete play the acoustic guitar.

Met some new friends at preparty, great time all around for me.

Chicago is an awesome city. Would go there again in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    How I envy you. Are you going tomorrow night? Or is that a dumb question?
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    No

I'm not, that's one reason I had to go to this one. Have another commitment. Life has been turned upside down for me a few times in the last 15 months, so I definitely needed this release. So glad I did it. Maybe things in life will start to level off a bit. Fingers crossed.

Hope you're well Whoprincess. :).

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Really happy you got this, P&E.
  • Options

No

I'm not, that's one reason I had to go to this one. Have another commitment. Life has been turned upside down for me a few times in the last 15 months, so I definitely needed this release. So glad I did it. Maybe things in life will start to level off a bit. Fingers crossed.

Hope you're well Whoprincess. :).

I'm getting better all the time. :smile:
    I too have had a lot of changes to contend with the past year, so I hear you. I'm glad you got to go to this. I don't think there will be a repeat.
  • Options
    Thanks Hedo, I'm so happy I went.

For those bitching about length of show, first it was a charity gig, not a rock concert, secondly, Who played night before and had show the next in OH.

Anyone have video of My Generation, loved the funky start, then into pure My Generation rawness. Loved it.
  • Options

Definitely was an odd feeling watching everyone leave the stage with the crowd at its peak and wanting more. Thought to myself, alright it's not Pearl Jam so we will probably get on encore of about 3 songs but no, the house lights came on and the stage started getting taken apart. Either way, it was worth it to me.

I ended up getting the $500 tickets for $100 through ticketmaster when someone posted the price drop was on(thanks to whoever that was!), so that was the closest I was ever to Ed. It was awesome! He posted that row went on sale and I was lucky enough to get it and also enjoy it to myself, there were probably 4 seats on either side of me that were empty(section 110 row HH). I got my moneys worth but definitely wouldn't say that if I spent anymore and didn't have the seats I had.

I have an extra poster for the show as well if anyone is interested.

I was in 110 row HH seat 7. We were neighbors
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Plus, The Who aren't doing encores on the current tour. For all you whippersnappers, up through the 70s The Who rarely, rarely did encores. I'm kinda enjoying the throwback format.
    Post edited by Who Princess on
  • Options
    pearlgirl52pearlgirl52 At a Pearl Jam show, hopefully. Posts: 653
    You mean 2010 Stanley Cup defenseman of the Chicago Blackhawks now a CSN hockey correspondent with chronically wet hair...no never heard of him. :)

Glad to hear you had a great time and everyone was so helpful! I had a blast too!

He is pretty recognizable!
  • Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,011

Anyone have video of My Generation, loved the funky start, then into pure My Generation rawness. Loved it.

VideoGremmie has that one and a couple others on youtube. Can't post them because I'm on my phone but just do a search. They are great quality.

Glad you got to go and had a great time!
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Sweet audience recording is up over @ Dime. :)

If you can't do torrents here's the 24 Bit Flac download. http://we.tl/A4A0NbnHPe

16 Bit Flac http://we.tl/bYwhsZKN4T
    Post edited by demetrios on
  • Options
    FrankSFrankS Posts: 273
    Is there a bootleg that's not flac?
    8/23/2009[Chicago], 5/07/2010[Noblesville], 9/3/2011 [PJ20], 9/4/2011 [PJ20], 7/19/2013 [Chicago], 10/17/2014 [Moline], 8/22/2016 [Chicago], 8/18/2018 [Chicago], 8/20/2018 [Chicago]; 9/5/2023 [Chicago]; 9/7/2023 [Chicago]
  • Options
    FrankS said:

Is there a bootleg that's not flac?

Do you want MP3? PM sent.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,570
    This concert was awesome. I think for us that see a lot of Pearl Jam shows we are trained to be ready for the 3 hour marathon and so 1.5 hours will always seem short (honestly to me it felt like the show was just getting going and then it stopped). It probably did to Eddie too - ha. He probably wished he could sing another 20 Who songs with Pete.

I thought Ed sounded great that night. I got to hear Ed sing several songs I have never heard him sing which is well worth the money. My Generation was great as well as Behind Blue Eyes. My favorite song of the night was "She Asked Me" which was a duet with Simon Townsend. It was right in Ed's vocal wheelhouse and he knocked it out of the park.
  • Options
    bbisonbbison Posts: 221
    edited May 2015
    (edit: extra shirt sold)
    Post edited by bbison on
    Is this where the show list goes?

11-26-91 / 8-2-92 / 3-15-94 / 7-9-95 / 7-11-95 / 8-29-98 / 9-1-00 / 10-25-03 
    10-23-04 / 10-22-06 / 10-9-09 / 10-23-10 / 10-3-12 / 7-9-13 / 10-21-13
    11-24-13 / 11-26-13 / 10-17-14 / 10-20-14 / 10-25-14 / 4-8-16 / 4-9-16
     4-28-16 / 4-29-16 / 8-20-16 / 8-22-16 / 8-10-18 / 8-18-18 / 8-20-18
  • Options
    CountingStepsCountingSteps Posts: 373
    demetrios said:

Sweet audience recording is up over @ Dime. :)

If you can't do torrents here's the 24 Bit Flac download. http://we.tl/A4A0NbnHPe

16 Bit Flac http://we.tl/bYwhsZKN4T

Your are the best!
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    bbison said:

I have an extra 3xl gray t-shirt up for grabs. $32 shipped in USA. Other locales PM me and we can figure it out.

Can you post a picture of the T-shirt??
    I might be interested in this deal!!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    bbisonbbison Posts: 221
    edited May 2015
    derbydave said:

bbison said:

I have an extra 3xl gray t-shirt up for grabs. $32 shipped in USA. Other locales PM me and we can figure it out.

Can you post a picture of the T-shirt??
    I might be interested in this deal!!!
    That little logo is the only logo on the back.

Post edited by bbison on
    Is this where the show list goes?

11-26-91 / 8-2-92 / 3-15-94 / 7-9-95 / 7-11-95 / 8-29-98 / 9-1-00 / 10-25-03 
    10-23-04 / 10-22-06 / 10-9-09 / 10-23-10 / 10-3-12 / 7-9-13 / 10-21-13
    11-24-13 / 11-26-13 / 10-17-14 / 10-20-14 / 10-25-14 / 4-8-16 / 4-9-16
     4-28-16 / 4-29-16 / 8-20-16 / 8-22-16 / 8-10-18 / 8-18-18 / 8-20-18
  • Options
    electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,458
    Beautiful

Thanks for posting this, dimitris
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,181

(honestly to me it felt like the show was just getting going and then it stopped)

Yeah, that's exactly how I felt. Oh well, still a great and memorable show, just had the potential to be epic.
  • Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    I was lucky enough to meet Eddie at O'hare yesterday. I got a handshake. :)
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    CopperTom said:

I was lucky enough to meet Eddie at O'hare yesterday. I got a handshake. :)

Hopefully he's flying to Philly for tonight's show
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015