Record Store Day Mystery Vinyl

Comments

• Options
    LiveAtLeedsLiveAtLeeds Posts: 141
    One I think
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,977
    PJ_Soul said:

Those boxsets that combine two albums are kind of lame IMO.Let's just hope they do a MUCH better job on any future reissues than they did on the first three. The sound on those suck.

Is this a shared opinion of the reissued first three albums? If so, I can't say that I totally agree with it. IMO, the soundstage and clarity on the Vitalogy reissue LP is a noticeable improvement over my original pressing. In fact, after reading your comment, I listened to them back to back and much prefer the reissue. The OP feels claustrophobic and muffled by comparison.

Listening to Ten and VS next.......
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    I just got my mystery vinyl up in Canada near Toronto. I got Tres Mts and the Crown of Thorns 2000 Christmas single
  • Options
    hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033

I just got my mystery vinyl up in Canada near Toronto. I got Tres Mts and the Crown of Thorns 2000 Christmas single

My condolences.
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • Options
    Not mine but another Toronto with moonlander and ev lbc
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,556
    edited May 2015
    dudeman said:

PJ_Soul said:

Those boxsets that combine two albums are kind of lame IMO.Let's just hope they do a MUCH better job on any future reissues than they did on the first three. The sound on those suck.

Is this a shared opinion of the reissued first three albums? If so, I can't say that I totally agree with it. IMO, the soundstage and clarity on the Vitalogy reissue LP is a noticeable improvement over my original pressing. In fact, after reading your comment, I listened to them back to back and much prefer the reissue. The OP feels claustrophobic and muffled by comparison.

Wow, I would say the exact opposite. I find the sound on the Vitalogy reissue the worst of the three. I bought it so that I could save my original from wear, but I played it once, was basically disgusted, and never spun it again (I actually gave it away). I went right back to the original. I found the difference between the two super obvious. I have had others agree with my opinion here, yes, but I have no idea how many people would agree. I suppose it's possible that some sound better than others. Like, they did it in batches, and some turned out and others didn't quite. No idea. PLUS, the original is on one disc, and the reissue is on two. I HATE when they go from one disc to two, especially when I find that the sound isn't any better than the original for it (which is always the case so far), and even more when it actually sounds worse, as I found with Vitalogy.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    steinbasteinba Posts: 110
    Almost everything remastered since the mid nineties is worse than the original pressings, but it's mostly affecting CDs. Google "loudness war".
  • Options
    BGirl72BGirl72 Posts: 38
    moonlander and EV No More

was good fun....thank-you and sign me up for the next one Santos !

Toronto 2lbs 4oz
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,977
    steinba said:

Almost everything remastered since the mid nineties is worse than the original pressings, but it's mostly affecting CDs. Google "loudness war".

Yeah, "loudness war" is ridiculous. It rendered AIC's two newest albums unlistenable. The overuse of compression and brick-wall limiting have ruined the listening experience for some otherwise great music, I just don't find that to be the case with the PJ reissues, so far.

I just finished a back-to-back comparison with the OG and reissue VS. on vinyl and honestly, I can't say I hear enough difference between the two to say so.

The VS.and Vitalogy reissues get a thumbs-up from me.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    ppalmer84ppalmer84 Posts: 12
    Received Into the Wild and Not For You/Out of My Mind 7" in Milton, Ontario
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    ppalmer84 said:

Received Into the Wild and Not For You/Out of My Mind 7" in Milton, Ontario

nice!

I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,772
    mikeliska said:

I think the boxset didn't do too well because they tried to stuff ten pounds of shit in a five pound bag. All the extras are nice and things I'd like to have but not necessarily to the tune of $140, especially when you're really just interested in new copies of the two studio albums.

Well, they did have the other stuff... 2 CDs, 2 CDs/DVD or the Orpheum.... and the 2 LP sets... but yeah, the extra stuff wasn't necessary. Maybe they made it worth your while if you wanted the records AND the CDs and that way, you get a nice box to store in all in...
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    edited May 2015
    PJ_Soul said:

I agree. Not everything has to be super deluxe. Just reissue the albums in the exact same format as they were originally, keep them affordable (i.e. under $35 USD), and people would buy them. In other words, keep it simple, stupid. ;)

I agree with this. I mean a boxset is nice. I loved the goodies that came with the Vs./ Vitalogy box (I had my parents buy it for me as a big birthday present). But all I really care about is the vinyl records. I think the first two boxsets were weird releases cause the market already was saturated with these records, they are not hard to find. Just like the Coke Bottle Ten. I mean, we got one, and it is nice. But I would love for some later material to materialise on vinyl eventually. I hope they continue reissuing stuff, just like a lot of other bands do. And their fans love them for that. You cannot praise vinyl all the time and then keep it a secret commodity that is only available to a few selected people who can afford it. Not everybody and their mom can just say "alright, I get a vinyl box set for 150 bucks". I certainly cannot.

• Options
    Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761
    I think they did a great job offering the different tiers (Individual CD's/CD combos/individual vinyl/box of everything)

I really hope they continue to offer the Super-Deluxe packages. Albums this good deserve to be celebrated and receive special treatment 20 years after they were released. The artifacts are a great addition, too. I'm a sucker for physical media though. I love the box sets.
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,088
    edited May 2015

PJ_Soul said:

I agree. Not everything has to be super deluxe. Just reissue the albums in the exact same format as they were originally, keep them affordable (i.e. under $35 USD), and people would buy them. In other words, keep it simple, stupid. ;)

I agree with this. I mean a boxset is nice. I loved the goodies that came with the Vs./ Vitalogy box (I had my parents buy it for me as a big birthday present). But all I really care about is the vinyl records. I think the first two boxsets were weird releases cause the market already was saturated with these records, they are not hard to find. Just like the Coke Bottle Ten. I mean, we got one, and it is nice. But I would love for some later material to materialise on vinyl eventually. I hope they continue reissuing stuff, just like a lot of other bands do. And their fans love them for that. You cannot praise vinyl all the time and then keep it a secret commodity that is only available to a few selected people who can afford it. Not everybody and their mom can just say "alright, I get a vinyl box set for 150 bucks". I certainly cannot.
    As above, the vinyl was available separately so you didn't have to get a boxset!

Unless you're talking about the live vinyl, in which case I guess you did. :i_dunno:
    Post edited by bazzer on
  • Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,694
    Looks like a lot of crappy bundles for Canada. Hopefully Europe will fair much better
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,713

I think they did a great job offering the different tiers (Individual CD's/CD combos/individual vinyl/box of everything)

I really hope they continue to offer the Super-Deluxe packages. Albums this good deserve to be celebrated and receive special treatment 20 years after they were released. The artifacts are a great addition, too. I'm a sucker for physical media though. I love the box sets.

absolutely love the super deluxe sets......I really hope one day to have a full set of those beauties on a shelf.

no complaints at all, long may they continue
  • Options
    rock4everrock4ever Posts: 237
    what I like about the offer from 10c is that there is 5-10 benny ( for example ) now is there 5 of them or is there 10 of them ? as I'm pretty sure I can count and I could count a box set collected together oh yes there are 7 , so how many are there of these bloody things out there ?
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:

absolutely love the super deluxe sets......I really hope one day to have a full set of those beauties on a shelf.

How do you get them in the UK?
  • Options

pdalowsky said:

How do you get them in the UK?
    the first one was via sony Europe - they had a separate order page which helped avoid fees.

the second one came via tenclub as they offered that one up with random signed boxes. was too tempting to miss ......
  • Options
    SS9981SS9981 Posts: 1,729
    PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wow, I would say the exact opposite. I find the sound on the Vitalogy reissue the worst of the three. I bought it so that I could save my original from wear, but I played it once, was basically disgusted, and never spun it again (I actually gave it away). I went right back to the original. I found the difference between the two super obvious. I have had others agree with my opinion here, yes, but I have no idea how many people would agree. I suppose it's possible that some sound better than others. Like, they did it in batches, and some turned out and others didn't quite. No idea. PLUS, the original is on one disc, and the reissue is on two. I HATE when they go from one disc to two, especially when I find that the sound isn't any better than the original for it (which is always the case so far), and even more when it actually sounds worse, as I found with Vitalogy.
    I agree. '94 Vitalogy much better sounding. Hate the 2-disc vinyl!
    Scott A. Setser
  • Options
    JH57554JH57554 Posts: 245

The only thing that would have made that Vs/Vitalogy box set better:

1) A digital download of that cassette. I still haven't heard that audio.
    2) ORRRR.... a re-issue of the "Five Against One" with the misspelling of Dave A's last name.

If you buy the $24.99 deluxe version from iTunes, the mixtape audio is included in the "iTunes LP" portion, FYI.

• Options
    pdalowsky said:

the first one was via sony Europe - they had a separate order page which helped avoid fees.

the second one came via tenclub as they offered that one up with random signed boxes. was too tempting to miss ......

Other way round Paul - Ten was through Ten Club, Vs/Vitalogy through Sony.

I got charged a HUGE import fee for the first one, which was more than offset by Sony delivering the second one and never charging me for it :)
  • Options
    rock4everrock4ever Posts: 237

pdalowsky said:

I got charged a HUGE import fee for the first one, which was more than offset by Sony delivering the second one and never charging me for it :)
    Just checked my Ten SD box its still in box it came with a nice huge red sticker on saying charges to pay think it was £30 I had to pay , its a bastard really as our import taxes start from £17 but I have loads come through , and its great when 10c send stuff via a european manufacturer as no charges apply , last lots have come through Belgium, hopefully mystery Vinyl will too
  • Options

pdalowsky said:

ha ha ha, nice, yes that's right thinking about it.....

the second one was much easier on the pocket
  • Options
    af7ukaf7uk Sheffield, UK Posts: 90
    Still hoping a Riot Act might be winging its way to Yorkshire. UK packages should start filtering through next week or the week after hopefully!
  • Options
    hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    Almost at 100 pages!
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • Options
    af7uk said:

Still hoping a Riot Act might be winging its way to Yorkshire. UK packages should start filtering through next week or the week after hopefully!

Me too, although a different part of Yorkshire ;)
  • Options

af7uk said:

Me too, although a different part of Yorkshire ;)
    very kind of you sir ;)
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    I hate to complain, but again I'm disappointed by this band. I used to love everything the band did but now it's either just bad luck or they're taking advantage of us loyal fans.

In 2013 I line up in the cold for the Seattle pop up shop for 4 hours only get have the option to buy left over merch. Waste of time.

Now my wife and I each sign up for the mystery vinyl. Hers gets cancelled and I get Moonlander. It's not even PJ. And The Fixer 7", which is possibly the worst PJ song every made.

Looks like Canada got all the crap.