Options

Record Store Day Mystery Vinyl

Comments

• Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    FR181798 said:

MedozK said:

mrk2 said:

If completists run out of things to collect you definitely need all different pressings as well, it is not enough to simply "have Yield" for example. There's US and Euro pressings;)

I have been doing this for a while, there are still a few EU pressings I need.
    Hope you collect the Korean LPs too! I like them because the sleeves are different, that Vs has some dodgy Photoshop work on the back and looks worse than some boots.
    Yea. The Korean presses are a must. Don't even get me started on cassettes from Asian countries.
  • Options

MedozK said:

A lot of these types of trades proves that you really need to buy multiples of merch for trading purposes.

Yeah, I can kind of see that, but I think we all know what it's like to be behind the guy who buys 50 stickers and 25 posters to "afford his tour." I can totally see 1-2 extra posters, but there's definitely an unwritten rule about a limit.
    I agree totally, but with trading the way it is.... i can understand what goes on.
  • Options
    mikeliskamikeliska Posts: 248

steinba said:

If you had the chance of making $800-1000 for something that you got cheap, or were able to trade it for something expensive that you really wanted but normally couldn't afford: Wouldn't you? Not taking into account the "not for resale" clause in this "lottery" of course.

I could donate a backspacer or LB, but if I got something like a Benny or LD, that I already owned (I wish!), I'd trade it for something missing from my collection, that I would't normally shell out for. ...in a heartbeat. Who wouldn't?

Not right because I only paid $50? Come on!

IMO, selling stuff "not for trade" is scummy. Fans have been trading stuff for over 20 years now..trade and trade away is what I say. If someone ends up with a red and black Lightning Bolt and wants to trade that red one for a poster, that's fine..the "value" of both is in the eyes of those involved in the trade.

However...people are gonna sell stuff because people will people. With that said... starting a Benny at $1.00 and having it end at $800 is one thing...but starting at $755.99 and having it end at $950 is just plain scummy.
    I'm not sure what's scummy here - nobody is forcing anybody to bid on anything. I tend to agree that you should set the start price at the minimum you're willing to sell for and if someone wants to pay more for it, by all means, they're an adult.
  • Options
    ekwiptekwipt Vancouver Posts: 321
    It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.
    --Jack Handey
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    ^ lol
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783
    ekwipt said:

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.
    --Jack Handey

Don't just sit there, flip that damn record! It's easy. Problem solved! :wink:
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    rock4everrock4ever Posts: 237
    mikeliska said:

steinba said:

If you had the chance of making $800-1000 for something that you got cheap, or were able to trade it for something expensive that you really wanted but normally couldn't afford: Wouldn't you? Not taking into account the "not for resale" clause in this "lottery" of course.

I could donate a backspacer or LB, but if I got something like a Benny or LD, that I already owned (I wish!), I'd trade it for something missing from my collection, that I would't normally shell out for. ...in a heartbeat. Who wouldn't?

Not right because I only paid $50? Come on!

IMO, selling stuff "not for trade" is scummy. Fans have been trading stuff for over 20 years now..trade and trade away is what I say. If someone ends up with a red and black Lightning Bolt and wants to trade that red one for a poster, that's fine..the "value" of both is in the eyes of those involved in the trade.

However...people are gonna sell stuff because people will people. With that said... starting a Benny at $1.00 and having it end at $800 is one thing...but starting at $755.99 and having it end at $950 is just plain scummy.
    I'm not sure what's scummy here - nobody is forcing anybody to bid on anything. I tend to agree that you should set the start price at the minimum you're willing to sell for and if someone wants to pay more for it, by all means, they're an adult.
    ** its all about supply and demand folks , if you think someone will pay that amount of money for a record then list it for that! ie Benny was on ebay a while ago at something like $1200 , if you want it you pay it, if you don't want to pay that much wait for one that's cheaper, that's how it works people I still don't get why everyone is so hooked up on ebay and the prices offered by the sellers , fuck me no one ever sold anything for more than it worth? **

the only people really to blame are the band , issue enough records so every who wants one can buy one simple , and then don't stash away 5-10 benny and so many coloured pj20 , and all the other items that have mysteriously now shown up , and not expect them not to be sold on as there is demand for them , its life people come on

rant over have a lovely day America , England , Canada and ROW

• Options
    sparky_frysparky_fry Posts: 760
    The reason they don't reissue all of this stuff is because they want the demand to be there for their products. Right now they can sell whatever they want with a "limited" description and it will sell. Reissuing everything will flood the market and their stuff won't be as collectible. Then when their next "limited" item becomes available less people will but it.

They know their market, and most people go crazy with anything they sell, especially vinyl related. This is why people get all worked up over a colored, or numbered version of a piece of wax.
  • Options
    rock4everrock4ever Posts: 237

The reason they don't reissue all of this stuff is because they want the demand to be there for their products. Right now they can sell whatever they want with a "limited" description and it will sell. Reissuing everything will flood the market and their stuff won't be as collectible. Then when their next "limited" item becomes available less people will but it.

They know their market, and most people go crazy with anything they sell, especially vinyl related. This is why people get all worked up over a coloured, or numbered version of a piece of wax.

I get that ,I think your missing my point a little ,
    I was been sarky about all the people moaning about stuff getting put on ebay , if you read what I put its clear about the demand for things that why people put them on ebay because someone if they want it will buy at the price put on by the seller , if you don't want to pay the price don't buy it, just stop fucking moaning about it as its going to be life , if not enough are issued to cover demand hence as i said it was supply and demand - less supply higher the price !!
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    rock4ever said:

They know their market, and most people go crazy with anything they sell, especially vinyl related. This is why people get all worked up over a coloured, or numbered version of a piece of wax.

I was been sarky about all the people moaning about stuff getting put on ebay , if you read what I put its clear about the demand for things that why people put them on ebay because someone if they want it will buy at the price put on by the seller , if you don't want to pay the price don't buy it, just stop fucking moaning about it as its going to be life , if not enough are issued to cover demand hence as i said it was supply and demand - less supply higher the price !!
    I wasn't directly responding to your point, but I agree. My point however is that the band doesn't want to reissue to keep the demand for their products high
    Post edited by sparky_fry on
  • Options
    edited May 2015

rock4ever said:

• Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998

rock4ever said:

I wasn't directly responding to your point, but I agree. My point however is that the band doesn't want to reissue to keep the demand for their products high
    I really don't think that's it. Do you really think they won't re-issue No Code on vinyl because they want to keep demand for the limited product made 20 years ago? I don't see it.

My guess? They probably aren't confident that they will make money by re-issuing all the past albums (No Code, Yield, Binaural, Avacado, RVM, etc.). Yes most of us on this board will buy them...but how many others would? Would it for sure cover the cost of re-printing all these different albums? Let's be honest, the casual PJ fan has the albums he wants already re-issued. The guy that cites Even Flow as his favorite song, probably won't want to buy a Vinyl copy of Lost Dogs.

And if they want to keep some items scarce, there's plenty of other things to keep scarce. The vault releases, Benaroya Hall vinyl, the ceramic mugs, tour posters and shirts, etc.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,183
    Sarava said:

My guess? They probably aren't confident that they will make money by re-issuing all the past albums (No Code, Yield, Binaural, Avacado, RVM, etc.). Yes most of us on this board will buy them...but how many others would? Would it for sure cover the cost of re-printing all these different albums? Let's be honest, the casual PJ fan has the albums he wants already re-issued. The guy that cites Even Flow as his favorite song, probably won't want to buy a Vinyl copy of Lost Dogs.

I would agree. They seemed to have a lot of leftover copies of the Vs./Vitalogy boxset. I'm guessing sales were underwhelming and everything got put on the backburner. It's too bad. The first 3 albums were the least hard to find on vinyl. It's starting with No Code that it got really hard. Thus out of the Vs./Vitalogy boxset the reason most people bought it was for the live vinyl. At least the ten set had a DVD, tape, live vinyl, and an interesting remix.

On the flip side the band go barebones and simply reissue the vinyl and not continue the mega boxsets. I'm thinking they intend to keep doing the mega boxsets as they make more money. I'm thinking vs/vitalogy took the wind out of their sales but they'll pick it up again. It's the only reason I can think of they would do standalone vinyl reissues. If people already have the vinyl it's harder to get them to double dip on the boxset (later on).

Hopefully we see a No Code/Yield boxset soon. Hopefully it's not remastered :)
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,556
    edited May 2015
    Those boxsets that combine two albums are kind of lame IMO. I hope they don't do that again. I think combining them like that is why they didn't sell well. I believe that most people want a release for EACH album.
    And I think that any PJ reissue would do really well now. Vinyl sales have skyrocketed since they reissued Vitalogy. Let's just hope they do a MUCH better job on any future reissues than they did on the first three. The sound on those suck.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,772
    The only thing that would have made that Vs/Vitalogy box set better:

1) A digital download of that cassette. I still haven't heard that audio.
    2) ORRRR.... a re-issue of the "Five Against One" with the misspelling of Dave A's last name.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    mikeliskamikeliska Posts: 248
    I think the boxset didn't do too well because they tried to stuff ten pounds of shit in a five pound bag. All the extras are nice and things I'd like to have but not necessarily to the tune of $140, especially when you're really just interested in new copies of the two studio albums.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,556
    edited May 2015
    I agree. Not everything has to be super deluxe. Just reissue the albums in the exact same format as they were originally, keep them affordable (i.e. under $35 USD), and people would buy them. In other words, keep it simple, stupid. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,183
    mikeliska said:

I think the boxset didn't do too well because they tried to stuff ten pounds of shit in a five pound bag. All the extras are nice and things I'd like to have but not necessarily to the tune of $140, especially when you're really just interested in new copies of the two studio albums.

I would agree. To me the vs/vitalogy set was two studio albums and a live lp. That's maybe $100 in value. The ten set had the benefit of the unplugged dvd which had never been released. I thought that was pretty cool. I would of loved to have seen a bluray and/or dvd from the vs/vitalogy era. I would thought an official release of the bootleg that shall never be named would of been easy.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I dont know. I like all the goodies and packaging.

I also would like the original pressings to remain unique too. (coming from someone who still needs Yield, Binaural, Avocado, LO2L, LD)
  • Options
    hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    Let's get this thread to 100 pages!
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    hsohi said:

Let's get this thread to 100 pages!

OK!
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    If you're a cowboy and you're dragging a guy behind your horse, I bet it would really make you mad if you looked back and the guy was reading a magazine. - Jack Handy
  • Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 946
    Regardless of personal preference, what would be considered a good score?
    Benny
    Sevens
    Lightning Bolt (red)
    Avocado
    PJ20 (colour)
    Fixer (blue)
    Music For Film (colour)

What others would you consider?
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Regardless of personal preference, what would be considered a good score?
    Benny
    Sevens
    Lightning Bolt (red)
    Avocado
    PJ20 (colour)
    Fixer (blue)
    Music For Film (colour)

What others would you consider?

Backspacer (white)
    Fixer (orange)
    RVM
    Lost Dogs
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    LiveAtLeedsLiveAtLeeds Posts: 141
    And ukulele songs/into the wild with 7"
  • Options
    steinbasteinba Posts: 110
    Were there any Binaural or Riot Act up for grabs?
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    edited May 2015
    steinba said:

Were there any Binaural or Riot Act up for grabs?

no Binarual
    AndySlash said:

The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    5-10 riot act
  • Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 946

5-10 riot act

We havent seen one show up yet have we?
  • Options
    steinbasteinba Posts: 110
    edited May 2015
    Thanks. :) Then I'd consider Riot Act a good score as well.

I'd personally rate them: Benny, LD, PJ20 colored, Yield/Avocado/Riot Act, PJ20, RVM, Sevens, Ten 1st press, Uke songs, ITW, coke Ten, Above, orange RNDM, VS reissue, then the rest. I'd say the odds are pretty decent of getting something good.
    Post edited by steinba on