mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    "Iran appears to be standing down". LOL. what a load of horseshit. Iran called Trump's bluff. But if his constant need to be seen as the stronger force deescalates the situation, so be it. 
    If you were giving that speech, you’d say the same thing.  I thought it was a brilliantly worded portion of that to be honest. 
    I didn't see the speech. I suppose I should have watched it prior to commenting. out of context it just sounded like saving face to me. 
    It was actually pretty good. As usual trump does something positive and it is nothing but crickets in here.  Instead of talking about the speech we talk about whether or not he wears a diaper.  

Eight people commented on the speech. That’s not crickets. Not everyone agrees with you that it was something positive. 
    So what were the negatives? 
    This is like asking someone to tell you what was so negative about the prepared speech the guy who just raped your mom gave at his sentencing. "All is well. Your mom is backing down. If Obama hadn't given her that phone she would have never called the police..."
    Normal, healthy analogy 
    No not normal at all, and neither is anything Trump does or says. Go ahead, if you're married, next time you do something that makes your spouse mad, read a prepared statement from a friend with no investment in the statement. I'm sure it will go well.
    I think being the President and addressing a world-wide TV/Internet audience of millions is a little different than talking your way out of your spouse being mad at you. Of course he's going to read a prepared statement in a situation like this. I hate to stick up for Trump because he's so vile and awful. But some of you guys scrape the bottom of the barrel with your complaints about him. And pjl44 is right, that analogy was pretty strange. But that's what Trump does to some people. A simple speech about the situation with Iran has you equating it to "the prepared speech the guy who just raped your mom gave at his sentencing." Yikes. 
    Right but this is the guy that always pointed out how Obama used telepromters (using his spelling)
    I'm glad he's using a teleprompter.  I"m glad Obama did.  A president speaks for a nation, and therefore the words should be carefully chosen and crafted, not riffed.  My problem with this is the complete folly of the strategy.  So while I can agree with @cincybearcat that I'm glad it's not worse, I simply cannot look at this speech in a vacuum and give him credit.  My God, why did the last week even happen?  The whole episode is absolutely sickening.  And it's not because the general is dead, it's that we've reset the foreign policy with Iran back 20 years.  
    And there are very few people behind the scenes right now.  The ones that were supposed to protect us have resigned.
    Right, the pros.  Evidently Pompeo was the big advocate for the strike.  He's been passionately itching for a conflict with Iran from days well before State.  
    Bad dude dead and two nations have avoided a major confrontation.  Who knows, maybe this will lead to peace?
    We had peace under Obama.  The peace was broken.  
    Didn’t Iran shoot do a us drone and seize a British oil tanker last summer?

Neither of those can be reasonably construed as an act of war.  First, Iran claims it was in their airspace.  US says it was international.  Second, seizing a British tanker is not our problem, it's the Brits.  I don't think they asked us to assassinate a general because of that action.  
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,198
    edited January 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    Why can't we talk about things about trump without bringing all the other things into it.  Can't anyone here just discuss the current event without extrapolating?

1) I know trump started this mess with a crazy assassination of an Iranian official....not good.  Unsure if there was any real data/reasoning (imminent threats).  I tend to think there were not, other than the obvious fact that he was always working towards potential threats.  But then again, so is Putin.

Regardless of how we go to this point, his words today were at least on point (for the most part) and will allow things to settle down a little.  Just as the Iranian's throwing rockets hoping to not kill people.  So while I'm under no illusion that Iran will actually stop trying to hurt america and especially American interests in the middle east and I am under no illusion that trump is all calm now and won't do something stupid...I feel better than I did before his speech.  Not a lot better, but a little. and at least I don't feel worse.

I understand what you are saying. Yes, things can always go worse, so yay, they haven't yet, but the problem for me anyway is that Trump is not the type of person who has ever shown any signs of caring about anything except himself, so no, he gets no credit, praise or acknowledgement until he makes a conscious effort to be a decent fucking human being. I would hold anyone else in my life to the same standard. I'm sorry, for me this reads like an abuser doing the right thing and you asking me to recognize that at least they didn't throw another punch.
    See, I like tbergs's analogies!  They work for me!
    Rape, abuser...for fucks sake it was a speech.

Alrighty then trump sucks, all is bad, Go Blue Team!  Back in line.

I guess we are forgetting the heat Team Blue gave Obama for drone strikes against terrorists who happened to be Americans living in Yemen? Obama even got sued by the ACLU for that.

We cant even get one member of Team Red Senator to publicly agree that all evidence related to impeachable acts should be presented in an impeachment trial. But the dems are the problem, right?
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,735
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I think being the President and addressing a world-wide TV/Internet audience of millions is a little different than talking your way out of your spouse being mad at you. Of course he's going to read a prepared statement in a situation like this. I hate to stick up for Trump because he's so vile and awful. But some of you guys scrape the bottom of the barrel with your complaints about him. And pjl44 is right, that analogy was pretty strange. But that's what Trump does to some people. A simple speech about the situation with Iran has you equating it to "the prepared speech the guy who just raped your mom gave at his sentencing." Yikes. 
    Right but this is the guy that always pointed out how Obama used telepromters (using his spelling)
    I'm glad he's using a teleprompter.  I"m glad Obama did.  A president speaks for a nation, and therefore the words should be carefully chosen and crafted, not riffed.  My problem with this is the complete folly of the strategy.  So while I can agree with @cincybearcat that I'm glad it's not worse, I simply cannot look at this speech in a vacuum and give him credit.  My God, why did the last week even happen?  The whole episode is absolutely sickening.  And it's not because the general is dead, it's that we've reset the foreign policy with Iran back 20 years.  
    And there are very few people behind the scenes right now.  The ones that were supposed to protect us have resigned.
    Right, the pros.  Evidently Pompeo was the big advocate for the strike.  He's been passionately itching for a conflict with Iran from days well before State.  
    Bad dude dead and two nations have avoided a major confrontation.  Who knows, maybe this will lead to peace?

Please read this opinion from Larison on the AmCon.  While I disagree with minor pieces, he's on point and it's consistent with what I've been rambling on about here for a week.  https://www.theamericanconservative.com/larison/trumps-awful-dishonest-iran-speech/

Trump’s remarks this morning show that his Iran policy remains as blinkered and reckless as ever. Following the Iranian retaliation last night that caused no casualties, the president does not appear to be escalating the conflict further for the moment. Then again, there would have been no conflict at all were it not for the president’s excessive and illegal actions over the last week. Trump’s remarks were representative of his Iran policy: dishonest and blinkered.

The speech began with his bizarre statement that “Iran will never be allowed to have a nuclear weapon,” but then there is currently no danger that Iran will develop a nuclear weapon. The main reason for that is still the JCPOA that he has worked overtime to destroy. This first line sets tone for the propaganda that follows. The president’s Iran policy is founded on a lie that one of the most successful nonproliferation agreements of all time is “defective,” and that misinforms and warps everything else. It is not possible for a policy to be effective or sound when it is based on such a ridiculous falsehood.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,985
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    "Iran appears to be standing down". LOL. what a load of horseshit. Iran called Trump's bluff. But if his constant need to be seen as the stronger force deescalates the situation, so be it. 
    If you were giving that speech, you’d say the same thing.  I thought it was a brilliantly worded portion of that to be honest. 
    I didn't see the speech. I suppose I should have watched it prior to commenting. out of context it just sounded like saving face to me. 
    It was actually pretty good. As usual trump does something positive and it is nothing but crickets in here.  Instead of talking about the speech we talk about whether or not he wears a diaper.  

Eight people commented on the speech. That’s not crickets. Not everyone agrees with you that it was something positive. 
    This is like asking someone to tell you what was so negative about the prepared speech the guy who just raped your mom gave at his sentencing. "All is well. Your mom is backing down. If Obama hadn't given her that phone she would have never called the police..."
    Normal, healthy analogy 
    No not normal at all, and neither is anything Trump does or says. Go ahead, if you're married, next time you do something that makes your spouse mad, read a prepared statement from a friend with no investment in the statement. I'm sure it will go well.

Neither of those can be reasonably construed as an act of war.  First, Iran claims it was in their airspace.  US says it was international.  Second, seizing a British tanker is not our problem, it's the Brits.  I don't think they asked us to assassinate a general because of that action.  
    Aren’t the brits one of our closest allies? Shouldn’t we care what happens to them?

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Normal, healthy analogy 

Aren’t the brits one of our closest allies? Shouldn’t we care what happens to them?

Not more than they care!  C'mon..
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,219
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Normal, healthy analogy 

one of their ships being captured and released? fuck no.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,945
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Normal, healthy analogy 

I thought you were against being global saviour now? especially when they are a nation that can take care of themselves. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Normal, healthy analogy 

I disagree.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

the main negative that i saw is that he fucking lied his ass off in that speech about obama giving iran money. for the thousandth time, that money was iranian money that we were holding. we just gave it back to them. we did not pay them that money as trump would have us believe. 
    i see that meme all over twitter all the time because those idiotic sheep believe whatever trump and fox news tell them to believe. pictures of obama dumping a big bag of money into iran's lap. such garbage. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Normal, healthy analogy 

I disagree.  
    yeah i know.

they are a nation that can handle things themselves. they do not need our stupid government stepping in and making things worse for them. our foreign policy at this point is just to cause chaos whenever and wherever we can.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:

the main negative that i saw is that he fucking lied his ass off in that speech about obama giving iran money. for the thousandth time, that money was iranian money that we were holding. we just gave it back to them. we did not pay them that money as trump would have us believe. 
    i see that meme all over twitter all the time because those idiotic sheep believe whatever trump and fox news tell them to believe. pictures of obama dumping a big bag of money into iran's lap. such garbage. 
    it is completely false. yet trump says it over and over and over and our fucking media will not call him out on it.

they call him presidential when he reads a speech in a monotone, snorts, and only mispronounces 15% of the words. no matter if he flat out lies or not.

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Normal, healthy analogy 

I thought you were against being global saviour now? especially when they are a nation that can take care of themselves. 
    rand paul is not even against being global savior now that trump is president.

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Normal, healthy analogy 

Rand has been very critical of Trump in the past week.  Everything I saw has been consistent with his foreign policy views.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Normal, healthy analogy 

Rand has been very critical of Trump in the past week.  Everything I saw has been consistent with his foreign policy views.  
    i will bet you a beer he votes with trump to authorize force. that is, if trump ever decides to go to congress/senate for anything related to war.

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Normal, healthy analogy 

i will bet you a beer he votes with trump to authorize force. that is, if trump ever decides to go to congress/senate for anything related to war.
    Sure I'll take that bet, just to take a bet.  I don't know what Paul would do in a vote.  He says he would have voted against Iraq but for Afghanistan, so he's a little bit of a wild card.  
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    help!  i've fallen in quotes and i can't get up!
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Normal, healthy analogy 

Sure I'll take that bet, just to take a bet.  I don't know what Paul would do in a vote.  He says he would have voted against Iraq but for Afghanistan, so he's a little bit of a wild card.  
    cool. someone witness haha... if i lose i will send you something good brewed here in STL.

if the vote would be close, he will fall in line. Unless they have a margin where he can vote against and trump can still win. that way he can say he stayed with his libertarian leanings. 

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,302
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Normal, healthy analogy 

Maybe. But he has not been wishy washy in his statements so far.

• Options
    did anyone catch him eluding to let NATO take over the middle east?  seemed like the beginning was stating that the US no longer depends on the middle east.  I just heard it in passing on the radio this morning.  

• Options
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Normal, healthy analogy 

Trump's speech today proved that yes, he is in fact brain dead.  
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    help!  i've fallen in quotes and i can't get up!
    :lol::lol:

so relatable!!

• Options
    Jason P said:
    did anyone catch him eluding to let NATO take over the middle east?  seemed like the beginning was stating that the US no longer depends on the middle east.  I just heard it in passing on the radio this morning.  

let nato takeover from jared?

sounds kinky.

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Normal, healthy analogy 

I didn't see it. Does he think this whole ordeal is gonna bring Iran to the table?
  • Options
    Getting interesting:

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Normal, healthy analogy 

cool. someone witness haha... if i lose i will send you something good brewed here in STL.

if the vote would be close, he will fall in line. Unless they have a margin where he can vote against and trump can still win. that way he can say he stayed with his libertarian leanings. 
    WITNESS!
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Jason P said:

let nato takeover from jared?

sounds kinky.
    he just might like it!

still, I'm sure every warhawk GOP out there kinda maybe pooped their pants if I heard it correctly.  
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Normal, healthy analogy 

I didn't see it. Does he think this whole ordeal is gonna bring Iran to the table?
    Yes, I don't know the line exactly, but he's saying that now we're open to negotiate and maybe this will pave the path to peace.  Brain dead...

article from earlier:  https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/477316-trump-tells-senate-gop-ally-that-he-sees-opportunity-for-new-talks
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    Getting interesting:

crazy.

maybe i misread. who had to leave after 75 min? the dems or the administration officials? reads to me like the administration?

• Options
    I thought this was pretty funny; My buddy (marine) who is stationed in Okinawa just posted this:
    Soldiers are more scared of waking up late to PT Formation than going to Iran.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Normal, healthy analogy 

WITNESS!
    yes!

nobody call out any side action. i have a tour to pay for.

potentially...